Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

d00gZ posted:

Naw, the most recent edition is superb.

Okay, that makes sense. I was just incredibly confused, as people were heaping praise on that. I didn't pick it up when it came out, and of course that means it's a pain in the rear end to get now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bairfanx posted:

Okay, that makes sense. I was just incredibly confused, as people were heaping praise on that. I didn't pick it up when it came out, and of course that means it's a pain in the rear end to get now.

I was about to give a bit of advice about the UK version actually being easier and cheaper to get in the US than the actual US release but then I remembered there's been a big spike in prices. You'll just need to wait for the supposed reprint to come around, I'm afraid.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Give it about a year. With Giraud gone everyone is hopping on the bandwagon. Ralph MacQuarrie's art book jumped up from $200 to $1,200 when he passed.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Visited the LCS in my folks' hometown (The Comic Hunter in Moncton, NB) and am struggling to not buy everything in the goddamn store. Tons of hard to find books.
Bought a bunch of out-of-print Astro City trades (the one-per-year schedule of the new editions is too slow for me).
Am fighting the urge to go back tomorrow and buy all the TPBs of Sandman Mystery Theatre. My wallet is bleeding. Help me.

:negative:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You came to the dudes who would Leonidas kick you into the well for not buying books, for support?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The strange thing is that some collections published by Humanoids is censored while others aren't. Cinebooks on the other is pretty consisting in censoring nudity.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
I've got the Invisibles on pre-order, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig (I've never read the thing).

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Looks like the two Batman issues ARE being included in Absolute Final Crisis as well as seven new pages of story by Morrison & Mahnke.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1204/09/dcjuly.htm

quote:

ABSOLUTE FINAL CRISIS HC

Written by Grant Morrison, art by Doug Mahnke, J.G. Jones, Carlos Pacheco, Doug Mahnke, Matthew Clark, Jesus Merino, Christian Alamy, Marco Rudy, Tom Nguyen, Lee Garbett, Trevor Scott and others, cover by J.G. Jones.

Collecting the mind-blowing event including Final Crisis #1-7, Final Crisis: Submit #1, Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #1-2, and The Final Crisis Sketchbook, plus the newly added Final Crisis #1: Directors Cut and Batman #682-683! Resolicited -- now with seven new story pages by Morrison and Mahnke! Superman, Batman, the Justice League and every other super being in the DC Universe must face when Darkseid and his otherworldly legion of followers in the war between light and dark! This oversized, slipcased hardcover comes with its own pair of 3-D glasses!

464 pages, $89.99, in stores on Oct. 13.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Shameless posted:

Looks like the two Batman issues ARE being included in Absolute Final Crisis as well as seven new pages of story by Morrison & Mahnke.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1204/09/dcjuly.htm

Is that a price drop too, or is that their price, rather than MSRP?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

bairfanx posted:

Is that a price drop too, or is that their price, rather than MSRP?

Think it's a typo, CBR's article on the new DC solicits is still showing it at $99.99.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Not a fan of Absolutes having new stories added in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

Not a fan of Absolutes having new stories added in.

Why not? They could be stuff they wanted to add but was unable due to the issue being too long.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

bobkatt013 posted:

Why not? They could be stuff they wanted to add but was unable due to the issue being too long.

And it can't be in the regular tpb because...?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

If the story is worth putting out I'd like the option to get it for under 60-100.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

If the story is worth putting out I'd like the option to get it for under 60-100.

I'll hold out for something like a standard OSHC. My wrists....so dainty......

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
It's probably because I have no previous exposure to Flex Mentallo's coloring, but I'm really loving this and not finding any of the colors to be any kind of detraction to the story. I knew I was in for a treat when I was only 4 paragraphs into the fictitious creative history at the front of the book and could not stop laughing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Space_Butler posted:

It's probably because I have no previous exposure to Flex Mentallo's coloring, but I'm really loving this and not finding any of the colors to be any kind of detraction to the story. I knew I was in for a treat when I was only 4 paragraphs into the fictitious creative history at the front of the book and could not stop laughing.
The coloring works and looks good, but it does change the feel of the book a bit.

Does anyone know where that intro story came from? It doesn't look Morrison written, but it could be.

E: Whiting up some of the black folks is pretty hosed tho.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I barely even noticed the recoloring on my first reread. Then I looked at the old printing. It lost a surreal quality that was there in the day-glo castles and neon striped Mentallium Man.

It's still good, but it does feel like it's missing something (but it's not something you'll really know you're missing if this is your first read).

And yeah, gently caress the whitewashing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I really enjoy those types of colors on the old Flex Mentallo. It reminds me of Hard Boiled and even New X-Men to a certain degree.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Fished on Amazon an Avengers vs X-Men HC. It's 500 pages for a $75 retail price.

I don't follow current stuff so I have no idea how good/bad this will be but it's still striking to see how quickly the X stuff gets oversized releases compared to the rest of the Marvel books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PelvicNerve posted:

Fished on Amazon an Avengers vs X-Men HC. It's 500 pages for a $75 retail price.

I don't follow current stuff so I have no idea how good/bad this will be but it's still striking to see how quickly the X stuff gets oversized releases compared to the rest of the Marvel books.

This event has just started and will be 13 issues at least. So there is no way that they know how many pages this will be or released.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

bobkatt013 posted:

This event has just started and will be 13 issues at least. So there is no way that they know how many pages this will be or released.

Its a 12 issue series double shipped for 6 months. All the writers went in and said the wanted to have an ending to this story, nothing extra that "led" to something else.

On Amazon.ca, its listed as 528 pages. I guess its fair to assume that the Versus issues will be in there, and maybe X-Sanction as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skeematic posted:

Its a 12 issue series double shipped for 6 months. All the writers went in and said the wanted to have an ending to this story, nothing extra that "led" to something else.

On Amazon.ca, its listed as 528 pages. I guess its fair to assume that the Versus issues will be in there, and maybe X-Sanction as well.

Its 13 if they include episode 0. Also there might be some double sized issues.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

It's definitely a placeholder and some of them have turned out to be red herrings in the past but some others turned up in the next solicits. Anyway, it seems in the right ballpark.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

edit; wrong thread

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PelvicNerve posted:

It's definitely a placeholder and some of them have turned out to be red herrings in the past but some others turned up in the next solicits. Anyway, it seems in the right ballpark.

If it does get solicited it will be at the earliest the November ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

There's also the AVX VS side series as well as all the tie in books so there will probably be two volumes.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

bobkatt013 posted:

I had totally forgot about that issue. My bad.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Marvel solicits not up yet but the Previews list is and, oh-mercy-me, there are a couple of very nice surprises. Namely:

MAY120729 CRIMINAL DELUXE EDITION HC VOL 02 (MR) $49.99

MAY120734 MAN-THING OMNIBUS HC $125.00

I'm very happy about a second Criminal OSHC and I may very well upgrade from my Essentials to the Man-Thing Omnibus (assuming it contains all of Gerber's run). It's been months since Marvel released a book I actually want to buy and here come two at once!

There's also

MAY120748 X-MEN BISHOPS CROSSING HC $49.99

Which I assume is oversized based on the price. No idea what it contains as it's probably from well after the period I stopped giving a poo poo about the X-Men.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 13, 2012

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
All over Criminal Deluxe Vol. 2 and the latest softcover MMW.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

There has already been a Criminal Deluxe edition out. I'm assuming the second one is the continuation of that deluxe edition? I was in love with the first book and would be very excited to have the second one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Marvel solicits not up yet but the Previews list is and, oh-mercy-me, there are a couple of very nice surprises. Namely:

MAY120729 CRIMINAL DELUXE EDITION HC VOL 02 (MR) $49.99

MAY120734 MAN-THING OMNIBUS HC $125.00

I'm very happy about a second Criminal OSHC and I may very well upgrade from my Essentials to the Man-Thing Omnibus (assuming it contains all of Gerber's run). It's been months since Marvel released a book I actually want to buy and here come two at once!

There's also

MAY120748 X-MEN BISHOPS CROSSING HC $49.99

Which I assume is oversized based on the price. No idea what it contains as it's probably from well after the period I stopped giving a poo poo about the X-Men.

Definitely getting the Criminal Deluxe but as much as I love Mike Ploog art (as you all should!) I don't think I'm going to get the Man-Thing omnibus. This is one instance where I think the B&W job of the essentials is a better choice for the art.

Which shouldn't discourage anyone interested in it. I think that run of Man-Thing is an underrated classic. It's just that $125 price tag is pretty steep for the material.

I'm also ordering the Herc complete series trade since it's unlikely we're getting a hardcover release.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

...as much as I love Mike Ploog art (as you all should!) I don't think I'm going to get the Man-Thing omnibus. This is one instance where I think the B&W job of the essentials is a better choice for the art.

Which shouldn't discourage anyone interested in it. I think that run of Man-Thing is an underrated classic. It's just that $125 price tag is pretty steep for the material.

Yeah, I'm still on the fence really. It's another one of those cases, like Moon Knight and Tomb Of Dracula, where the colouring does a bit of a disservice to the art.

I'll see how rich I'm feeling at the time but chances are I'll just stick to the essentials I've aready got.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like the Scott Pilgrim Hardcover is available for pre-order on Amazon:

Scott Pilgrim Color Hardcover Volume 1: Precious Little Life

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just posted a ton of poo poo in the SA-Mart thread, there's a ton of excellent custom binding fodder there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468478

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Can anyone confirm that the Dark Reign: The List: New Avengers issue is reprinted in the New Avengers Volume 13: Siege TPB? Amazon says it is, but Wikipedia (I know, I know) says it isn't.

I'm trying to piece together a complete run of New Avengers TPBs as cheaply as possible, and I know that's a key story (Hawkeye/Ronin going after Osborn), but I don't want to have to get the Dark Reign: The List TPB just for that one issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Can anyone confirm that the Dark Reign: The List: New Avengers issue is reprinted in the New Avengers Volume 13: Siege TPB? Amazon says it is, but Wikipedia (I know, I know) says it isn't.

I'm trying to piece together a complete run of New Avengers TPBs as cheaply as possible, and I know that's a key story (Hawkeye/Ronin going after Osborn), but I don't want to have to get the Dark Reign: The List TPB just for that one issue.

I have the trade in my hand and it is included.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I have the trade in my hand and it is included.

Awesome, thank you! One fewer book to track down.

EDIT: Do any of the New Avengers TPBs reprint the Free Comic Book Day special from a few years ago (2010?) where the New and Dark Avengers teams fight?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Awesome, thank you! One fewer book to track down.

EDIT: Do any of the New Avengers TPBs reprint the Free Comic Book Day special from a few years ago (2010?) where the New and Dark Avengers teams fight?

If they don't I can probably find you a copy for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

If they don't I can probably find you a copy for free.

You are awesome! I actually have a copy, but I was just hoping the TPBs were complete, with every odd and end from Bendis' run.