Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolopy
Apr 7, 2004
Nyargh.

Snot Man posted:

Kid Kool looks so bad watching it was annoying. Obviously some care went into trying some unique and potentially fun gameplay mechanics, but it's all completely ruined by what looks like poo poo controls and stage design that seems to waver between sadistic and just plain bad. Constant huge leaps of faith that lead right into nearly unavoidable death traps is Sonic 2006 levels of bad.

Even the "good ending" somehow seems sarcastic. "Oh good. You won. You're a hero. Do you want a loving medal?" It's given me newfound respect for Emoto. Twelve hours of sleep-deprived frustration for two minutes of footage I doubt anyone cares that much about...

Spoiler on the Kid Kool ending:

I hate to undermine the AD's efforts, but there are multiple endings. He got the "barely good" ending because he took so long.

Here's a related video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuGU1Yt9Dc

Thanks for the translation, as always. I rather enjoyed the episode. The Gameboy segment was my favorite just for all the Burger jokes and Arino's concept art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Meme Emulator posted:

Where is Battletoads in your queue of episodes to translate, because Im heck of excite to see it.

Also Im sort of surprised that youre even allowed to keep fansubbing on the side, isnt that a tremendous conflict of interest for the company you are working for?
Not that much of a conflict. SAGCCX has always removed links/not translated the Kotaku episodes, regardlessof how bad they were. The DVDs are the Kotaku episodes redone, I believe. And as far as I know, their license only goes that far.

If the DVDs sell well enough for then to go and license more episodes, then I imagine SAGCCX would remove any conflicts. Until then, or in any case, it would be a troublesome conflict of interest if zari-gani was doing this for Fuji-TV.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Where is Battletoads in your queue of episodes to translate, because Im heck of excite to see it.

Also Im sort of surprised that youre even allowed to keep fansubbing on the side, isnt that a tremendous conflict of interest for the company you are working for?

Not to speak for zari-gani but for a variety of reasons the GCCX license that Discotek has is limited; they can only use the same episodes that Kotaku had. We're already going through efforts to avoid stepping on the license.

Also, the reason that zari-gani is doing the official translations is that she's been doing these translations. It's clear the Discotek isn't worried about any conflict of interest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for yet another episode. I liked that gameboy bit; I swear I remember owning Gargoyle's Quest on the gameboy as a kid. I KNEW it looked familiar when we saw the sequel! :v:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Also, the reason that zari-gani is doing the official translations is that she's been doing these translations. It's clear the Discotek isn't worried about any conflict of interest.

Nor should they be, cos I mean, we're ALL going to buy this loving thing.

e

Random Stranger posted:

(A Waste of Color is among my least favorite segments on the show).

I think it's actually one of my favourites? :3: I like when Kibe gets to nerd the gently caress out over stuff he played as a kid. Kibe is seriously as nerdy as it's possible to get while still holding down a job and being presentable for tv.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 8, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Thank you SAGCCX for another quality episode and for adding Kid Kool to my list of games I never want to play (it was kinda on that list after the AVGN video, but GCCX only confirms how brutal that game is). :)

I feel kinda bad for doing this since you guys always do such an awesome job, but I found an error in the subtitles (I'm not spoiling it since it has nothing to do with the main challenge). During the Castlevania 3 part of the segment where they show games that came out during 1989, the subtitle said that the hero was Simon Belmont when in fact it was his ancestor, Trevor Belmont. I don't know Japanese, so I'm not sure if maybe whoever originally wrote that script made that mistake or if Kan mis-spoke, but I assume it might've been something that happened on their side. But, it's such a minor thing and I can understand how hard it is to translate purely by ear. Like I said, you guys always do a great job and I hope this one minor issue doesn't mess anything up. So, keep up the good work!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

I feel kinda bad for doing this since you guys always do such an awesome job, but I found an error in the subtitles (I'm not spoiling it since it has nothing to do with the main challenge). During the Castlevania 3 part of the segment where they show games that came out during 1989, the subtitle said that the hero was Simon Belmont when in fact it was his ancestor, Trevor Belmont. I don't know Japanese, so I'm not sure if maybe whoever originally wrote that script made that mistake or if Kan mis-spoke, but I assume it might've been something that happened on their side. But, it's such a minor thing and I can understand how hard it is to translate purely by ear.

You are correct that the hero of Castlevania 3 is Trevor but the narrator says, "Simon". They've made that kind of error from time to time during the series and though it's been spackled over a couple of times it's not something that's consistently done. Now you can go, "drat it, Kibe! Get it right!"

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?

Obeast posted:

... the subtitle said that the hero was Simon Belmont when in fact it was his ancestor, Trevor Belmont.

In the Japanese version it's Ralph Belmont. :chord:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sweet William posted:

Belmondo :japan:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Random Stranger posted:

You are correct that the hero of Castlevania 3 is Trevor but the narrator says, "Simon". They've made that kind of error from time to time during the series and though it's been spackled over a couple of times it's not something that's consistently done. Now you can go, "drat it, Kibe! Get it right!"
Gotcha! I blame Kibe's Sega fanboy-ness on this "mistake" since the Genesis only got one Castlevania game. ;)

Sweet William posted:

Part of me wants to believe that this is what Ralph Belmont looks like as a child.

"You'll whip your eye out, kid!" :drac:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kid Kool looks like an awful game to play. However, I have the feeling that it may have been a direct influence on whoever designed the time mechanic for Majora's Mask, so I will give it a pass.

As for "A Waste of Color", I loved how during its debut, they go on a bit about black-and-white games that should be remade with color, and then they put whatever it was into the Super Gameboy, which did a somewhat decent job of adding color to the game, pretty much ruining the entire premise of the segment.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Inferior Third Season posted:

As for "A Waste of Color", I loved how during its debut, they go on a bit about black-and-white games that should be remade with color, and then they put whatever it was into the Super Gameboy, which did a somewhat decent job of adding color to the game, pretty much ruining the entire premise of the segment.

I love how they cover things like Burgertime and Gargoyles's Quest... you know, games that were originally in color to start with.

(though I would say that a color remake of Mario Land would certainly be welcome)

vvv Turns out I am wrong! Ah well. Burgertime still counts right?

geri_khan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 8, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

geri_khan posted:

I love how they cover things like Burgertime and Gargoyles's Quest... you know, games that were originally in color to start with.

(though I would say that a color remake of Mario Land would certainly be welcome)

The first Gargoyle's Quest was Game Boy only

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
If anyone is interested, I made some GCCX gifs the last few days. I am too lazy to rehost them so just go here and check them out if you want.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

GidgetNomates posted:

If anyone is interested, I made some GCCX gifs the last few days. I am too lazy to rehost them so just go here and check them out if you want.

This one is fantastic, I love Emoto now. He's just behind Inoko MAX.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Stoat posted:

This one is fantastic, I love Emoto now. He's just behind Inoko MAX.

:3: Having seen so much GCCX now, it's impossible for me to pick a favorite AD. They all have their little moments.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I love how excited Arino gets when he wins at gambling. Watching the Legend of the Mystical Ninja episode and he's so worked up he's yelling in english and japanese. Dude fuckin' loves gambling.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

this is a good title card.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Well, well, well. Looks like I found an example of Nintendo's censoring machine at it again. Naked dragons are clearly unacceptable.

We're not above penis jokes in this thread right?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Xik posted:

We're not above penis jokes in this thread right?

I was waiting to see if Arino would comment on it but it never came up.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I like the Waste of Colour segments because it's interesting to see the obscure Japanese Gameboy games I've never heard of.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Wendell posted:

I like the Waste of Colour segments because it's interesting to see the obscure Japanese Gameboy games I've never heard of.

That segment has reminded me of two Gameboy games that I loved the poo poo out of back when I still had my brick. The first one being Dynablaster (I guess it only had that name in Europe.. it was called Bomber Boy in the segment) and the first Gargoyles Quest. I loved and played the crap out of both of these games and they were AWESOME.

The segment as a whole I find kind of lackluster, especially compared to some of the better segments they've had before. In any case, it's not like I can ever get enough of Arino.

Are we ever getting that Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts episode? (Or Super Ghosts 'n Goblins or whatever the hell, they're all the same to me!) It looked awesome and I love those games so much, despite their bullshit "Oh you gotta finish it TWICE and you better not lose that bracelet" mechanic :v:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Wendell posted:

Heiankyo Alien is not an obscure japanese game. It freakin' rules :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (which I mistranslated as Super Ghosts'n Goblins for some reason despite knowing very well it's supposed to be Ghouls'n Ghosts -- still beating myself up over that one) will definitely be done at one point. I know Nagoyan has his eye on it. However, the Ghouls'n Ghosts episode needs to come first, and Clover has been working on that one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's kinda amusing that with seven minutes, Arino's fallen victim to a good number of the flaws the AVGN brought up.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Uznare posted:

Heiankyo Alien is not an obscure japanese game. It freakin' rules :colbert:

Lessee:

-Released before 1980
-in Japan only
-on PC

It might rule, but it's obscure based on those three alone.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain what the joke is (if any) of Arino doing the shoulder touch thing during the waste of color intro?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can someone explain what the joke is (if any) of Arino doing the shoulder touch thing during the waste of color intro?

The title of "A Waste of Color" is taken from the (awful) 1985 song (sung by a bunch of teenage girls) that plays in the background called "Don't Take Off My School Uniform" by Onyanko Club ("Kitty Club"). There's a famous little dance that goes with this song, and that's what he's mimicking.

Here's that song performed by AKB48, the group Male AD Takahashi -- and all of Akihabara today -- is obsessed with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwk9PzMe14E
The movement Arino does can be seen at 1:37. He also mouths the next line in the song in the first episode of that segment, I think.

And here's the original Onyanko Club performing the song in their 2002 reunion, 15 years after disbanding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66FJjbDvbrw#t=5m00s

Brief Japanese lesson: There's a line in the song that goes "'Cause it would be a waste" -- in Japanese it's mottainai kara. Kara in this context means "'cause," but they stretched it out so it sounds like karaa -- "colour". Hence the title of the segment, "Mottainai Karaa (Colour)".

Any oddities like that during segments, it's usually safe to assume it's in reference to the song that's playing. For example the random stuff Arino says at the beginning of the "Sing About Whatever You Want" segments are actually lyrics from the song they got the title from, "Do Whatever You Want."

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 9, 2012

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

redmercer posted:

Lessee:

-Released before 1980
-in Japan only
-on PC

It might rule, but it's obscure based on those three alone.

GB version came out stateside in 1990. So I stand by my statement.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Uznare posted:

GB version came out stateside in 1990. So I stand by my statement.

I actually bought the game for my friend about 10 years ago because it looked so strange. All the same, you can't really stand by a comment saying it's NOT obscure.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

zari-gani posted:

Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (which I mistranslated as Super Ghosts'n Goblins for some reason despite knowing very well it's supposed to be Ghouls'n Ghosts -- still beating myself up over that one) will definitely be done at one point. I know Nagoyan has his eye on it. However, the Ghouls'n Ghosts episode needs to come first, and Clover has been working on that one.

Well that's good news then! Greatly looking forward to that episode. But, and this might just be me being stupid, didn't we already get a Ghouls'n Ghosts episode? Or was that Ghosts'n Goblins? Man I always get these two confused but what was that game where he faced the Red Arremer the first time and just couldn't get past it till the AD of that time told him to run back and jump and turn around to shoot at him etc.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Ghosts'n Goblins (Makaimura) was done by TV-Nihon. Clover has been working on Ghouls'n Ghosts (Dai Makaimura), and then I guess we're going to release Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (Chou Makaimura). The Japanese titles are more straightforward and easier for me to remember...

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Wendell posted:

I actually bought the game for my friend about 10 years ago because it looked so strange. All the same, you can't really stand by a comment saying it's NOT obscure.

I'm not disagreeing exactly, but it's un-obscure enough that I remember it from magazine ads: http://www.retroist.com/2011/04/06/heiankyo-alien-for-the-game-boy/ :)

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

abraxas posted:

But, and this might just be me being stupid, didn't we already get a Ghouls'n Ghosts episode?

There's three episodes all in all. Famicom version (Season 2), Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on Genesis/Mega Drive (Season 5) and then we have Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on Super Famicom (Season 7).

edit:

techknight posted:

I'm not disagreeing exactly, but it's un-obscure enough that I remember it from magazine ads: http://www.retroist.com/2011/04/06/heiankyo-alien-for-the-game-boy/ :)

Wow, it's kinda crazy this game was even brought to west, much more considering it was actually advertised as being so Japanese.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 9, 2012

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011

jyrque posted:

Wow, it's kinda crazy this game was even brought to west, much more considering it was actually advertised as being so Japanese.

And it was published by Meldac, also responsible for Zombie Nation. I guess they had a different view than most publishers about what would sell in America in 1990.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

serialrobinson posted:

And it was published by Meldac, also responsible for Zombie Nation. I guess they had a different view than most publishers about what would sell in America in 1990.

I don't know, I think other publishers would have agreed about bringing it over.

(for reference: the Japanese arcade version, which clarifies that particular timeline a bit.)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

techknight posted:

I want a tattoo of that, right now.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I love how excited Arino gets when he wins at gambling. Watching the Legend of the Mystical Ninja episode and he's so worked up he's yelling in english and japanese. Dude fuckin' loves gambling.

I love that, in the South Korean trip, he lost a lot of money at the roulette with money provided by the show and later on, by the staff because he keeps betting on black, while red keeps coming up. The look on staff's face after Arino bet their last stack on black, even though they all said bet on red was priceless.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a cart of Heiankyo Alien, am I cool now?

It came in a lot I bought at a garage sale, along with various football and wrestling games weirdly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

davidHalestorm posted:

I love that, in the South Korean trip, he lost a lot of money at the roulette with money provided by the show and later on, by the staff because he keeps betting on black, while red keeps coming up. The look on staff's face after Arino bet their last stack on black, even though they all said bet on red was priceless.

I love the followup to that segment as well.

Just in case you haven't gotten to that particular episode yet: the staff were especially annoyed because, after filming wrapped, Arino went back to the casino to play with his own money and found great success.