Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's an instant 8khz lowpass filter with 12dB rollover RIGHT THERE!

So... so you think this could be marketable? Maybe different colours to fit the "sound" of the components? I just need a name now... Fully Manual Solid State Pento-Band Frequency Amplidamper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nah, but if someone was up for the effort, they could bullshit people on Head-Fi with that thing. Create some huge wire construct and pretend with fake RMAA graphs or spectrums that it works. An ideal lowpass filter with 10 blocks and 1.5m of wire.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nah, I mean from the sound quality perspective. Audiophiles wouldn't care about anti-corrosive properties, because they're probably the firm belief that things like these wear out and have to be replaced every year.

Well, corrosion could cause a degradation in sound quality on analog connections. My aforementioned MP3 player's headphone jack is a prime example, sound quality (volume levels, actually) would vary between the left and right channels until I turned the headphone jack back and forth a couple of times. It was probably due to both the male and female connectors being made as cheaply as possible, with no plating of any kind and having teeny-tiny contact surfaces. Carrying it around in various pockets and bags and exposing them to dust and humid air probably didn't help, either.

Unlike to the massively idiot things a lot of audiophiles believe about cable burn-in, directionality and so on, corrosion is actually a factor in some types of connections. Not ones you'd ever have to worry about in your home setup, but compared to a lot of other audiophoolery, it has a tiny microscopic grain of actual relevance.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I got gold-plated connectors simply because the price difference is negligible, they're pretty if you have to look at them and the plating signifies to me that manufacturer took at least some trouble in making them. I can't believe anyone would seriously argue that adding more stuff on the signal path makes things sound better: bare wire has the "most direct" argument going for it at least. Even then the voices in your head probably cover any and all sound improvements you may gain by buying 10 grand banana plugs.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Even the cheapest lovely poo poo cables from cablechick/dealextreme/monoprice are gold p(l)a(in)ted. It's pretty much impossible to get anything else sometimes.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
http://www.synergisticresearch.com/tranquility-base/tranquility-base-2/

The soundstage has literally exploded in all directions with instrument solidity firmly anchored in space and the bass agility/solidity of my system has being transformed.

$3000 for a metal plinth with a blue LED.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here's some audiophile poo poo. I almost didn't buy this condo that I just moved into because the walls are painted a colour, not a shade. I didn't want to have to recalibrate my TVs due to the non-neutral colour scheme.

Then I said gently caress it, I can't run a subwoofer in this place why the gently caress should I care about 100% accuracy in colour.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/tranquility-base/tranquility-base-2/

The soundstage has literally exploded in all directions with instrument solidity firmly anchored in space and the bass agility/solidity of my system has being transformed.

$3000 for a metal plinth with a blue LED.

Good lord, this is even snake oilier than most other stuff.

I like the first and second comments;
:colbert: So if I just plug my stuff into this, how is it diffirent from this other power conditioner I use?
:smug: Oh, you misunderstood sir. This isn't actually a device that does anything. You don't plug stuff into it, it's a loving magical plastic box that...:downswords:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

jonathan posted:

Here's some audiophile poo poo. I almost didn't buy this condo that I just moved into because the walls are painted a colour, not a shade. I didn't want to have to recalibrate my TVs due to the non-neutral colour scheme.

Then I said gently caress it, I can't run a subwoofer in this place why the gently caress should I care about 100% accuracy in colour.
Can't tell if serious or not. What's the problem with repainting the drat place?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

The soundstage has literally exploded in all directions. 15 people were killed, 44 critically injured.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gram-O-Phone posted:

The soundstage has literally exploded in all directions. 15 people were killed, 44 critically injured.

more casualties of the audio-wars. will the death ever cease? how much blood must we spill!?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

danbanana posted:

more casualties of the audio-wars. will the death ever cease? how much blood must we spill!?

That gives me an idea, has anyone ever explored the sonic properties

of human blood? :drac:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

qirex posted:

That gives me an idea, has anyone ever explored the sonic properties

of human blood? :drac:

patrick bateman did.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I'm running a class A+ amplifier. If it breaks down I can use parts from any class A or O amp to fix it.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

danbanana posted:

patrick bateman did.

That's absolutely horrific!

I mean, a graphic equalizer? That's just going to ruin the sound.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gram-O-Phone posted:

That's absolutely horrific!

I mean, a graphic equalizer? That's just going to ruin the sound.

I find that the stuck down newspaper certainly benefits the acoustic warmth though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Someone's selling an atomic clock as clock reference for your studio gear.

"With the Atomic, I'd say there was a 20% improvement which for me is mind-blowing. The image was wider, more solid and the vocal appeared to project towards me!"

"I noticed an immediate change in my soundspace the minute I heard the 10M plugged into my OCX-V. The stereo spread out, the edges were more clear, and the center seemed to come forward."

(Quotes from industry professionals. I hope they're fake, because if not, :psyduck: )

http://www.vintageking.com/Antelope-Audio-Isochrone-10M

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone's selling an atomic clock as clock reference for your studio gear.

"With the Atomic, I'd say there was a 20% improvement which for me is mind-blowing. The image was wider, more solid and the vocal appeared to project towards me!"

"I noticed an immediate change in my soundspace the minute I heard the 10M plugged into my OCX-V. The stereo spread out, the edges were more clear, and the center seemed to come forward."

(Quotes from industry professionals. I hope they're fake, because if not, :psyduck: )

http://www.vintageking.com/Antelope-Audio-Isochrone-10M

OK I know this thread is called "Ridicule audiophiles" so it's easy to get carried away on the wave of cynicism but sometimes an emerging technology just happens to actually be useful while possibly remaining incomprehensible to a layman such as the average goon. This isn't one of Machina Dynamica's silly little bits of plastic or the addition of a decimal in copper purity numbers - we are talking about a real breakthrough in the way things are made: we are talking about real atomic technology.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Homeopathic levels of improvement in jitter doesn't change the sound of a production. Did you actually read the quotes?

--edit: gently caress, I fell for it.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Looks like they took one of the FE-5680As you can get for $50 on ebay and put it in a box.

If you're doing super sensitive studio work it might make sense to have a common reference clock to synchronize digital equipment, but an atomic clock that costs $6000 is pretty drat overkill.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

longview posted:

Looks like they took one of the FE-5680As you can get for $50 on ebay and put it in a box.

If you're doing super sensitive studio work it might make sense to have a common reference clock to synchronize digital equipment, but an atomic clock that costs $6000 is pretty drat overkill.

poo poo, I should get a cheap rack mount enclosure and try to sell these for like $3000.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

timb posted:

poo poo, I should get a cheap rack mount enclosure and try to sell these for like $3000.

No-one wants to buy your cheap Chinese (or even worse - Mexican!) knock-off!

VVV That sounds more like it. Can you throw in a piece of Blu-Tack somewhere in there to reduce the effects of vibrations caused by cosmic entities swimming in the flogiston?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 6, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Would you like a pair of $75 speakers and a bunch of wood sticks for $1500?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/dakiom-modified-sony-ss-b3000-is-the-most-musical-pair

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Would you like a pair of $75 speakers and a bunch of wood sticks for $1500?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/dakiom-modified-sony-ss-b3000-is-the-most-musical-pair

How many loving words are there in that listing

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
For all the crazy audiophile products and claims that show up, I have yet to see people caring about how clean/mint your CD is. Do audiophiles refuse to listen to CDs that have minor cosmetic scratches (the likes of which obviously do not actually interfere with the sound?)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Considering they're doing stuff like putting them in a freezer before playing them, or demagnetizing them, they're probably putting them under a scanning tunneling microscope first.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering they're doing stuff like putting them in a freezer before playing them, or demagnetizing them, they're probably putting them under a scanning tunneling microscope first.

The question is completely moot though since real audiophiles don't use CDs. (Can a question even be moot? I don't know.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Because some inertia and gravity based degrading playback medium is the poster-child of accuracy. I'll never understand these people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Because some inertia and gravity based degrading playback medium is the poster-child of accuracy. I'll never understand these people.

Serious post here: To be fair, it hasn't been about accuracy for a good few decades now. These are audiophiles we're talking about, not music-lovers. They are striving for a sound they like, not to hear what has been recorded as faithfully as possible.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
These are people who put their cables up on little struts and stuff tissue paper in their amplifiers, someone should start selling audiophile grade house wiring and manual fuses. I found a significantly more vibrant soundstage after I put in the AudioFuze 63A model, sure it's a 13A circuit but I need the extra power for the dynamics!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

longview posted:

These are people who put their cables up on little struts and stuff tissue paper in their amplifiers, someone should start selling audiophile grade house wiring and manual fuses. I found a significantly more vibrant soundstage after I put in the AudioFuze 63A model, sure it's a 13A circuit but I need the extra power for the dynamics!!

Last I checked, real audiophiles modify their equipment to run on batteries to avoid bad current.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

longview posted:

Oh you can buy rhodium plated power outlets! http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/109/33780

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Last I checked, real audiophiles modify their equipment to run on batteries to avoid bad current.

But what if the batteries were charged with...*gasp*...dirty power? :ohdear:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

afen posted:

Oh you can buy rhodium plated power outlets! http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/109/33780

"CAUTION: Lethal voltages are encountered when removing and installing high voltage AC devices. Have this work done by a competent technician or licensed electrician."

pfff. like i'm gonna trust my outlet installation to any old licensed electrician. if you really want your soundscape to be right, you better hire a gold plated man to install them.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

For all the crazy audiophile products and claims that show up, I have yet to see people caring about how clean/mint your CD is. Do audiophiles refuse to listen to CDs that have minor cosmetic scratches (the likes of which obviously do not actually interfere with the sound?)

Of course they do. And they have fantastic pens that stop the laser light from leaking through the printing and affecting the sound!

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/green_pen.htm

quote:

I selected Chris Isaak's analog recorded Heart Shaped World as this is one of my best sounding non-audiophile pre-recorded cassettes, and I thought it would be good to have a back up copy as Nakamichi cassette deck parts are getting scarce. The CD untreated was pale in comparison, there was more resonance in Chris Isaak's voice and more wood sound on the box of his acoustic guitar on the cassette. However when I treated the CD I noticed CD Stoplight brought the CD much closer to the realism of the pre-recorded cassette. The greened CD sounds wonderful and quite enjoyable, not high resolution but neither is the cassette. The importance of this test was to compare two low resolution formats, one I enjoy (cassette) and one I historically have had problems listening to (CD). The fact that this CD sounded good enough that I have since played it again means that the combination of hardware improvements and the use of CD Stoplight might just mean I can occasionally enjoy a CD.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

cc posted:

But what if the batteries were charged with...*gasp*...dirty power? :ohdear:

I know a guy who swears that lead acid batteries are inherently noisy and any audio equipment connected to one will sound like poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's not like most devices don't have capacitor circuitry to smooth out the current, eh, eh?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Batteries? Wall AC? Hogwash.

It's an electric motor driving a 250+ pound flywheel driving a generator or nothing for me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just saw this on my facebook

quote:

I wonder if idiots walking around with Beats headphones on know that Bose exists

there you have it. Bose>Beats. headphone discussion from this day forth is moot.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserface posted:

Just saw this on my facebook

there you have it. Bose>Beats. headphone discussion from this day forth is moot.

Urge to sperg... Rising! :argh: