Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Invenerable posted:

Incidentally, don't the worst reels increase your BP by a greater multiplier? Or is that a false memory?

Each result in each round gives a different amount of BP, and it's additive rather than multiplicative. There's no real rhyme or reason to the BP amounts, but the harder ones do give more BP mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invenerable posted:

Incidentally, don't the worst reels increase your BP by a greater multiplier? Or is that a false memory?

You can see it as a general rule of thumb, but the thing is - only the last two reels really matter. The others (no matter how good or bad) will give you pretty low BP so picking Cure isn't wasted.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Apart from the times where there's only one choice.
A most horrible experience.

Five materia reel gives you the most and it can make a bad series of reels at the end worth while, while lucky/cure makes the whole effort wasted. I got something like 600 one time and it might not be the lowest.

Sword should have never existed. What a loving pain in the rear end and always when I get 5 materia before or after.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
HP / MP halved is the one I disliked the most, especially during my attempts to get Omnislash on the first disk.

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Apart from the times where there's only one choice.

Is there any reason why the game even does this sometimes? What are you supposed to do when the game systematically breaks your command materia, your magic materia, your weapon, your items, etc? It's like every once in a while it just randomly decides to waste your GP.

vvv This isn't bad luck with the reels though, sometimes the reels will for whatever reason have only one symbol each so that systematic loss of options is unavoidable. The times I've seen it it's always in the same order too, pretty sure it's the one I listed above but I don't remember for sure.

Choray fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 7, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Choray posted:

Is there any reason why the game even does this sometimes? What are you supposed to do when the game systematically breaks your command materia, your magic materia, your weapon, your items, etc? It's like every once in a while it just randomly decides to waste your GP.

Well, you are gambling. And sometimes you lose.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Choray posted:

I think you can still escape with your GP intact if you use a Smoke Bomb or the Exit materia, obviously you're hosed if your materia is broken and your items are sealed though. I don't know if the slots are predetermined before you even start fighting though.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Glazius posted:

It's like playing roulette, putting down a big stack on Black, and then the guy pulling out a new wheel that is all red.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Choray posted:

And this is why I invest everything in base Strength.

Though really, if you get unlucky with the reels it can be mathematically improbable to win.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
One time, when I was a lad that didn't ever think to break a game's mechanics over his knee, I got lucky in the Battle Square. It had always been nigh-unthinkable to ever get the highest rewards. Omnislash was a special attack, reserved for its sole story use. But this day? Oh no. I got Omnislash after one colossal bout. I immediately jumped back into the battle arena to bask in its glory immediately.

Wouldn't you know it, my luck was still flowing. I tore through the line again. The penalties couldn't hold me back. Accessory broken? Fie! No magic materia? No items? Wasn't using them! Give me your best shot, game. Today is not your day.

Small.

Final enemy, small for the penalty. No means of dealing damage but Attack. No way of getting rid of the status. I forget exactly why, but the final enemy, some giant flying fish thing, only used one attack and I was absorbing the damage from it. I did 1 damage every turn. I held on for the better part of an hour before I used a Sense materia to see how much longer I would be at this. The enemy had something like 19844 health left.

No way to die. Hours of drudgery to win, on a school night. No way out.

I said goodbye to omnislash, and turned the console off.

loving penalty reels.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Wulfolme posted:

loving penalty reels.

I thought you could escape the regular way? By holding down the shoulder buttons.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Wulfolme posted:

used a Sense materia

So you still had Command Materia. How do you get this far without a selection of useful Enemy Skills? It's a lifesaver, I tell you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

One time, when I was a lad that didn't ever think to break a game's mechanics over his knee, I got lucky in the Battle Square. It had always been nigh-unthinkable to ever get the highest rewards. Omnislash was a special attack, reserved for its sole story use. But this day? Oh no. I got Omnislash after one colossal bout. I immediately jumped back into the battle arena to bask in its glory immediately.

Wouldn't you know it, my luck was still flowing. I tore through the line again. The penalties couldn't hold me back. Accessory broken? Fie! No magic materia? No items? Wasn't using them! Give me your best shot, game. Today is not your day.

Small.

Final enemy, small for the penalty. No means of dealing damage but Attack. No way of getting rid of the status. I forget exactly why, but the final enemy, some giant flying fish thing, only used one attack and I was absorbing the damage from it. I did 1 damage every turn. I held on for the better part of an hour before I used a Sense materia to see how much longer I would be at this. The enemy had something like 19844 health left.

No way to die. Hours of drudgery to win, on a school night. No way out.

I said goodbye to omnislash, and turned the console off.

loving penalty reels.

Alternatively, you could have put something heavy on the O button and come back the next day.

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010
What I hated the most about the battle arena was when your items and materia were all sealed. That makes me rage the most.

But there were a couple of times when I was in the arena when the game decided to give me the finger by having every slot be the same handicap. Just imagine having every handicap in slot one be all materia broken, the second being items broken, the third being accessory broken, and the fourth one becomes weapon broken. After the fourth round I'd die because I didn't know when to quit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dauntasa posted:

Alternatively, you could have put something heavy on the O button and come back the next day.

Assuming one attack every 6 seconds (which is being generous) at 1 damage per attack, you do realize you're all suggesting that he left his PSX on for fifty-five loving hours, yes?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

The White Dragon posted:

Assuming one attack every 6 seconds (which is being generous) at 1 damage per attack, you do realize you're all suggesting that he left his PSX on for fifty-five loving hours, yes?

You missed the part where we also suggested he let the internal clock run over on FFIX so he can get Excalibur II easier.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Endless arena battles were almost a tradition by FFVII. I don't know how many times I got stuck in endless battles in the FFVI arena, made all the more likely by the entire thing being automated.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Dauntasa posted:

Those guys eventually will bust out a couple other moves, they just need to be on very specific levels of health to do anything but the generic breath attack. He probably would have lost anyway.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I once left mine on for 3 months. It's not going to loving melt or anything.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Dauntasa posted:

I once left mine on for 3 months. It's not going to loving melt or anything.

I used to do this all the time, myself - particularly with some games, it's hard to make sure you're somewhere you can save when you need to leave (or when you're falling asleep), so I'd just pause it, turn off my TV, and pick up where I left off next time. I only had it freeze on me once in the entire time I did this. Never had other consoles glitch on me for this, either, although I don't really do this anymore, mostly because games are much better about saving these days.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Those kind of tricks can save you a bunch of hassle on some games. I remember I left my Wii on for two days straight to grind for Score in Tales of Symphonia so I could just pick whatever options I liked on New game Plus. Good times.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Serifina posted:

I used to do this all the time, myself - particularly with some games, it's hard to make sure you're somewhere you can save when you need to leave (or when you're falling asleep), so I'd just pause it, turn off my TV, and pick up where I left off next time. I only had it freeze on me once in the entire time I did this. Never had other consoles glitch on me for this, either, although I don't really do this anymore, mostly because games are much better about saving these days.

You now remember the sheer frustration of being a child and being mid-battle when your bedtime hit, or being in the middle of a platformer, or what have you, and pausing the game to go to bed only to wake up and discover that your parents - good for nothings! senseless fools! - had turned off the console while you were asleep.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Valgaav posted:

You now remember the sheer frustration of being a child and being mid-battle when your bedtime hit, or being in the middle of a platformer, or what have you, and pausing the game to go to bed only to wake up and discover that your parents - good for nothings! senseless fools! - had turned off the console while you were asleep.

Which is precisely why I didn't really leave mine on until I started having a tv in my bedroom.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Prison Warden posted:

Those kind of tricks can save you a bunch of hassle on some games. I remember I left my Wii on for two days straight to grind for Score in Tales of Symphonia so I could just pick whatever options I liked on New game Plus. Good times.

And then there are some games that outright require you leave the system on for days at a time, because you are a crazy person. Case in point: Gradius V. A one-credit-clear of a game loop in Gradius V takes approximately 90 minutes, and in order to progress to higher loops you have to start from scratch - stage select won't work.

The game's difficulty maxes out at loop 10, but there are 256 loops in the game. People are loving dedicated.

vv ed: I may need to clarify that stage select lets you determine your loop at any time once you reach it, but in order to get to that loop you first need to play through the game as presented until then. Still, yeah.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 8, 2012

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Shaezerus posted:

And then there are some games that outright require you leave the system on for days at a time, because you are a crazy person. Case in point: Gradius V. A one-credit-clear of a game loop in Gradius V takes approximately 90 minutes, and in order to progress to higher loops you have to start from scratch - stage select won't work.

The game's difficulty maxes out at loop 10, but there are 256 loops in the game. People are loving dedicated.

Wow. I thought leaving my N64 on so I could beat Quest in one shot (I didn't have a memory pak) was hardcore, but this... This is just... wow. :stare:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shaezerus posted:

vv ed: I may need to clarify that stage select lets you determine your loop at any time once you reach it, but in order to get to that loop you first need to play through the game as presented until then. Still, yeah.

What is the difference from Loop 10 to 256 then? Bragging rights?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Glazius posted:

Sometimes the game flat out refuses to give you any multiple options after playing the last seven times. Goddamn.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

It just occurred to me that I've never seen Yuffie's All Creation before that video. Now I'm wondering why they gave Yuffie a gigantic head laser for her final limit.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

DTaeKim posted:

It just occurred to me that I've never seen Yuffie's All Creation before that video. Now I'm wondering why they gave Yuffie a gigantic head laser for her final limit.

Well, who else could logically get a gigantic head laser? Any lasers from Barret would come from his gun-arm. Any lasers from Aeris or Cid would come from their staff or spear. Any lasers from Tifa would be of a Dragon Ball Z variety. Cloud would probably wield a sword made of lasers. Vincent does not work with lasers. Red XIII and Cait Sith would leave the battle to chase the laser. Logically, that leaves Yuffie.

:colbert:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kaebora posted:

Well, who else could logically get a gigantic head laser? Any lasers from Barret would come from his gun-arm. Any lasers from Aeris or Cid would come from their staff or spear. Any lasers from Tifa would be of a Dragon Ball Z variety. Cloud would probably wield a sword made of lasers. Vincent does not work with lasers. Red XIII and Cait Sith would leave the battle to chase the laser. Logically, that leaves Yuffie.

:colbert:

Yuffie's laser should clearly come from the points on her throwing star to creating a spinning laser lightshow. The one who should have a head laser is Cloud, because they could fire from the tips of his hair spikes.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Red is the only one whose weapon goes on his head, therefore he is the clear choice

Cait Sith would actually be second since the Megaphone goes up to his mouth

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Elentor posted:

What is the difference from Loop 10 to 256 then? Bragging rights?

Nothing but. A lot of people seem to just sit at Loop 10 for doing superplay videos for this reason but apparently loop 255/256 is like this medal of honor for hopeless shutins (who may or may not be capable of bending reality to whim, considering what Gradius V's maximum difficulty looks like).

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Cid could fire a laser from his cigarette.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

meatbag posted:

Cid could fire a laser from his cigarette.

Cid lights dynamite with his cigarette, that's probably manly enough for anyone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Not sure how fast I should update as I can cover content a hell of a lot faster than Elentor, but sometimes we get into poo poo like ether stealing which takes a lot of time and doesn't produce much, or the Kalm flashback which is entirely irrelevant to my challenge.

But what I can do is irrelevant and stupid stuff like naming Red XIII 'Rex Ronan'.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
As fast as possible, OFS. As fast as possible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But what I can do is irrelevant and stupid stuff like naming Red XIII 'Rex Ronan'.

I suppose his sidequest is that he has to go inside of Cid's lungs and save him from :420:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Not sure how fast I should update as I can cover content a hell of a lot faster than Elentor, but sometimes we get into poo poo like ether stealing which takes a lot of time and doesn't produce much, or the Kalm flashback which is entirely irrelevant to my challenge.

I've been drawing 17 sprites a day so feel free to catch up :cry:

I'll add your crazy run to the OP later today.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The White Dragon posted:

I suppose his sidequest is that he has to go inside of Cid's lungs and save him from :420:

But Shinra has put microbots in Cid's bloodstream to prevent Rex from exposing their :420: industry as evil! :ohdear:

Elentor posted:

I'll add your crazy run to the OP later today.

Well, at the speed I'm going I'm covering stuff 5 times as quickly, excluding the Wutai updates (as I cannot get Yuffie until the rear end-end of the game) it'll only take me about 8 or 9 to catch up. Total.

I'd like to say once I get out of Midgar I'll slow down but quite a few parts without boss fights, like the Mythril Mines and Mt. Corel, will be different ways to say "nothing interesting happens also courting barrel".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

God drat. I'm lucky if I can do two four-to-eight-frame sprites a day, haha.

• Locked thread