Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Go as fast as you want to, but as someone who's never seen this game, please don't go past the point where Elentor has left off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

God drat. I'm lucky if I can do two four-to-eight-frame sprites a day, haha.

Oh, I'm not counting frames. I'm not that fast.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Go as fast as you want to, but as someone who's never seen this game, please don't go past the point where Elentor has left off.

I wouldn't dream of it. What I'm doing wouldn't be as much fun without the context of what a normal game does.

That and there are spoilers that affect what I do.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time, I got rich off of theft and bought grenades which I used to blow up government employees. I am the protagonist.

Free stuff, you know?

An extra All can't hurt, and the Star Pendant is important for the next boss.

the Four Slots just ensures Taft has low defense with plenty of materia slots.

This puzzle makes no loving sense.

The battles aren't issues as long as no pincer attacks happen.

Yeah! Except they happen other places as well!

Today I hurt Shinra's bottom line by flushing the toilet several dozen times, making their water bill skyrocket.

Reeve, by being the only Shinra exec who seems even slightly troubled by murdering thousands of innocent civilians and taxing who's left, must be the only one who isn't obstinantely evil.

Yes, the story is just a distraction for me. :(

Elemental+poison would be a waste. The only poison-elemental attack the boss has is just his status move. The twerps cast Ice and Fire sometimes and goddammit I am going to grenade this boss before he can even see.

God knows how much EXP he'd give! :ohdear:

People are all 'sedn tifa n use barret his logn range attak can hit the boss !!' but gently caress that I've got grenades and Taft is staying as low level as possible.

You'll regret this.

So this guy is a joke as he has next to no offense and dies to grenades really fast. The poison didn't even do much to Rex Ronan.

You know, it's probably going to be a while before I have to try.

Grenades make early-game bosses die really easily.

Cloud gets the EXP today.

Aerated gets better armor, befitting the EXP sponge she'll become.

Why do they even let you select your party here when in 2 minutes you're getting captured.

:toot:

Well whooooooooops looks like we got captureeeeeeeeeeed!

Rex is a man dog of science.

Let's say disappointing things to the ladies!

And prioritize hanging out with Barrel!

Keep this line in mind. Something else doesn't make sense because of it.

So new stuff is here and I don't want Cloud hit so he gets a fast turn against Rufus.

Game's over everyone! Shinra's been toppled!

It's like a gun that vincent uses but a really long sword and uh

I won't, you're worth 1800 EXP.

drat Taft can yell. :stare:

I see no other way of conveying this scene so adequately.

This is one of the few battles where Taft is not allowed. Sadly, she'll gain levels.

The shooting is kind of annoying as Healing Wind will get Barrel and Rex Ronan but Hundred Gunner falls fast enough due to his lightning weakness.

This sounds worrysome so I just blow it up.

Like so.

Heligunner is polite enough to murder Rex Ronan for me.

So Barrel blows himself up and Aerated blows it up.

God I love grenades.

Aerated gets a level.

So does Taft offscreen. :negative:

Fascinating.

Bio-All doesn't poison Rufus the first time but it gets his dog's HP low enough that Braver kills it even through Barrier.

And the lime-green paralyzed Rufus gets grenaded.

God I love grenades.

CLOUD gets a level.

And so does Taft offscreen. :negative:

Shut the gently caress up Mr. Barrel sounds great.

Here's CLOUD riding a motorcycle down a staircase. How do people take FF7 seriously?

Elemental with Fire will help Aerated survive Motorball's meaner attacks.

which is good because I suck at the motorcycle game.

Thankfully Healing Wind solves my problems.

He hits hard but that's exactly what I want since it murders Taft. Again.

And Cloud murders himself and Aerated blows it up.

A large part of this is waiting until the boss attacks, having one dude murder him/herself then having Aerated blow up the boss, yes.

Yeah sure. I wanna spend time with my Barrel-chan.

Man I forgot how long ago I saved over one of these files.

Okay so I have Matra Magic in the menu. Right now.

(yoink)

But after running it isn't kept.

Which means the first enemy skill I can keep is Trine from the Materia Keeper. Welp.

Oh and here's a place that probably won't influence my challenge much.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell, throwing grenades seems like a far more sensible combat technique than swinging around a sword as big as yourself or trying to punch robots to death.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Cerebral Bore posted:

As far as I can tell, throwing grenades seems like a far more sensible combat technique than swinging around a sword as big as yourself or trying to punch robots to death.

I don't want to live in a sensible world if it means I can't punch robots to death.

Punch grenades into robots.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How about punching to death robots that are made of grenades that you can then throw at other robots?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Cerebral Bore posted:

How about punching to death robots that are made of grenades that you can then throw at other robots?

That's more of a Final Fantasy X thing.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Cerebral Bore posted:

My Grenade-Bot throws robots at other grenades!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nidoking posted:

That's more of a Final Fantasy X thing.
More like Serious Sam.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I made a robot entirely out of grenades! Only issue is that if one of the grenade lynchpins gets removed it falls apart and explodes.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Fister Roboto posted:

I made a robot entirely out of grenades! Only issue is that if one of the grenade lynchpins gets removed it falls apart and explodes.

Is this the bastard child of Hojo and a grenade?

WILL IT BREED?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It looks like Barrel is giving CLOUD a piggyback ride. They really do love each other.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Okay so I have Matra Magic in the menu. Right now.

But after running it isn't kept.

Which means the first enemy skill I can keep is Trine from the Materia Keeper. Welp.

Pretty sure you can get Chocobuckle without winning a fight! :eng101: And in a challenge where all you do is run away, it might ACTUALLY be useful!

Then again, I can't swear it'll work. Apparently you have to use Mimmet Greens on one first to "enable" them to use it. All the guides say to use Lv. 4 Suicide (which you can't get) on a Level 16 Chocobo, but all level 4 Suicide does is bring an enemy to super-low health. I'm guessing they'd use it if you brought one to critical, even without the Level 4 suicide.

Edit: No wait, only the Chocobo runs away, and not the other enemies. So yeah, you're probably screwed.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm guessing they'd use it if you brought one to critical, even without the Level 4 suicide.

This is true, but seriously, good loving luck doin' that; you're going to need it. And as you pointed out in your edit, still have to beat the other baddies to get the skill so it's not useful to OFS.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
He might be able to get it if he used Remove, but since it's the tier II on Exit materia, he probably won't get anywhere near the AP necessary to get it. Remove is actually really nice for a low-level run, since it ends battles without any xp. Just difficult to get.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Captain Bravo posted:

He might be able to get it if he used Remove, but since it's the tier II on Exit materia, he probably won't get anywhere near the AP necessary to get it. Remove is actually really nice for a low-level run, since it ends battles without any xp. Just difficult to get.

Is there an item that casts it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just found myself at the point where the LP is and I'm curious as to how Elentor accumulated the necessary GP for the Battle Square.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

If you have the gold pass, you can walk in and out of the gold saucer, and wait for a guy to appear near the save point, and he'll sell you GP.

Failing that, the minigames will probably get some GP with enough grinding.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh trust me, I know all about that guy, but after going in and out a couple dozen times, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't show up at all on Disc 1.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Some Numbers posted:

Oh trust me, I know all about that guy, but after going in and out a couple dozen times, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't show up at all on Disc 1.

Yeah I don't think he shows up until the next mode of transport in Elentor's run is available.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I bet Elentor used Super Dunk. If you're good at timing it it's a GP cash cow.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Back in the day I used a turbo fire controller and arm wrestle. Exactly zero skill required.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Bravo posted:

I probably won't until Movers. And if I can fight Movers to get silly things I can get more KoTR materia from Mover AP.

I'm not sure what my silliness threshold is as I spent 2 hours stealing 99 ethers but that sounds just to silly to do.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DontMockMySmock posted:

I bet Elentor used Super Dunk. If you're good at timing it it's a GP cash cow.

Super Dunk is indeed the correct way to make GP. Once you dodge lightning 200 times, everything else is a walk in the park.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elentor posted:

Super Dunk is indeed the correct way to make GP. Once you dodge lightning 200 times, everything else is a walk in the park.

That still brings up nightmares.

straight 8
Jan 9, 2007

Elemental with Fire will help Aerated survive Motorball's meaner attacks.

I've done numerous runs of this game thinking I knew it all and I never knew this screen existed.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Elentor posted:

For all the bitching that the FFX chocobo doging received, it was a walk in the drat park compared to lightning dodging. I have walked through the fires of Final Fantasy tedium(turtle grinding, ugh), but lightning dodging is one of the few things I can't get myself to finish.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I'm the other way round. Lightning dodging I did once and I know that I could do it again if actually wanted to since it depends primarily on reflexes, timing, and concentration. The chocobo racing comes down to pure luck so far as I can tell. Spending hours failing something over and over again is a lot easier (for me) if I know that the reason I'm failing is because I just need to get that tiny amount better rather than because the RNG hates me.

And yet I still go for rare drops. Hmm.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I'm the other way round. Lightning dodging I did once and I know that I could do it again if actually wanted to since it depends primarily on reflexes, timing, and concentration. The chocobo racing comes down to pure luck so far as I can tell. Spending hours failing something over and over again is a lot easier (for me) if I know that the reason I'm failing is because I just need to get that tiny amount better rather than because the RNG hates me.

And yet I still go for rare drops. Hmm.

I hate the Chocobo racing with all of my hate (and Kimahri's stupid butterfly thing as well), but I handled the lightning pretty well, too. I just muted the TV. :v:

I have a thing for mindless tedium I guess. :\

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Elentor posted:

Even 100 Super Jumps in Mario RPG?

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I managed to make about 150 lightning dodges, I was trying to count while paying attention to the dodging, but something happened and my mind snapped, I found myself just staring at the screen and got zapped. I was too monged out to get annoyed about it, so I think I just went and made some tea then got on with the rest of the game.

Chocobo Dodging did induce too much rage in me though. A friend came round and ended up doing it for me in minutes, and I've never been able to do it myself. Annoying, as Tidus' ultimate weapon would be the one I'd make the most use of. I always end up getting Yuna's, Rikku's, Auron's and I think Lulu's ones maxed out but never the others.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Or that stupid gold saucer rock paper sissors game. I was SO good at everything else too, but I never beat that final dude.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Concordat posted:

Even 100 Super Jumps in Mario RPG?

I think he meant things that aren't impossible.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never played Super Mario RPG, surprisingly. You're talking about the SNES game, right?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

zenguitarman posted:

Or that stupid gold saucer rock paper sissors game. I was SO good at everything else too, but I never beat that final dude.

As far as I know it's actually impossible to beat the final dude - the game is just rigged.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elentor posted:

I never played Super Mario RPG, surprisingly. You're talking about the SNES game, right?

Yeah (it owns (play it))

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Elentor posted:

Yes. If you played Paper Mario, Super Jump is like Power Bounce. Except it's faster. There's no indication of when you are supposed to press the action command. And the timing changes occasionally. Also it is impossible to do more than 100.

Though if you do manage it you can talk to an NPC who keeps track of your jump number and get some cool mad broken armor that is probably debug equipment.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

DontMockMySmock posted:

As far as I know it's actually impossible to beat the final dude - the game is just rigged.

There's 5 stages, the 4th stage has like a 1 in 4000 chance of you winning it, if by some miracle you win that one, the game glitches out and gives you a battle against an invisible dude which truly is impossible to win against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Concordat posted:

Though if you do manage it you can talk to an NPC who keeps track of your jump number and get some cool mad broken armor that is probably debug equipment.

I dunno, I forget whether it was that great or not. I do remember savestating myself to 100 jumps (and not one more, of course, which had me making GBS threads myself wondering if I'd be stuck at 99 forever), but I can't remember what whatever it is that you get actually does.

• Locked thread