Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I just logged in 19 hours of play time this weekend. In my defense, I'm recovering from an injury :colbert: This is quite possibly the first JRPG I've gotten into in a long time that's not from Atlus. I'm only at the marsh, so I'm considering just leaving most sidequests for a new game+. I've just been describing this to people as a western RPG with more cutscenes and so far that's been pretty apt. There are some minor annoyances, but what game doesn't have those?

drat, I want to play this more, but I need to work tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
This is definitely a Japanese-style RPG, with a fixed main character and in-depth storyline. Its just the first well made one without anime drizzled all over it in a long time.

Edit: If you want to emulate this at higher settings, you will need a FAST computer. You need lots of Ghz, and a decent video card. I wouldn't even try unless you had at bare minimum a i5 750 or so. If you are willing to settle for stuttering, my Core 2 Duo(E8500, OC'ed to 3.8 Ghz) was only having the occasional issue.

Mrit fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 9, 2012

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Megalixir posted:

It's only visually terrible because you're locked behind a Wii.

I'm a complete retard and I know nothing about Dolphin. I just did some google and yes those screens you linked look gorgeous.

I assume at a minimum I'll have to start the game over from scratch, no?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone know how long Gamestop holds preorders? My roomate preordered this and ended up in the hospital so he might not be able to pick it up for a week or so.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just got Riki, what are the good party compositions for him? I did Melia/Dunban/Riki and the damage output seems crazy but the people in the thread said not to give him to the AI right?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It really sucks that I can't see this game at its best quality because I'm stuck with a 4:3 CRT and have to play with it letterboxed (unless there is some option I overlooked), but I bet I could find some way to play it on my widescreen desktop monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chaltab posted:

If this game is what you consider terrible graphics, I don't know what to tell you.

The overall art is really well done. The main problem is the low texture resolution. That's not a factor for big landscape shots like that, but close-ups can look a little ugly. The really blurry faces in particular can be a big turnoff for some people.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Lakbay posted:

I just got Riki, what are the good party compositions for him? I did Melia/Dunban/Riki and the damage output seems crazy but the people in the thread said not to give him to the AI right?

He's "okay" with the AI. Not as good as he could be (you usually don't want to rely on him as a healer in boss battles with the AI, for example), but he's not bad or anything. He's a decent healer, but not as good as Sharla. He pairs well with Reyn, Dunban, and other aggro-drawing damage-dealers and tanks, but he can tank surprisingly well himself given his obscene HP. His various DPS arts stack and are absolutely sick. If you're playing him yourself, there's a decent argument to be made that he's the game's most versatile character and one of the best. Melia is the only one I would say is a poor match in a party with him, and that's just because of the AI.

I'm trying hard to think of a bad party combination for Riki (or in general) and I really can't. Most any one will suffice in one way or another. If you're going to be a completionist and build up everyone's affinity, you'll be swapping them around steadily anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lakbay posted:

AI Riki isn't good at lining up the heal spell, often only healing one of you instead of both of you. Melia can do some spot healing as well but she's not very good at it. Melia's AI is also not very good at, well, anything. It doesn't use her heal abilities well, it doesn't know how to use copy to effectively spam spells, nor does it know when to keep an aura up. I like Riki, Dunban, and Shulk or 7th, but melia isn't a terrible choice, she's just not really good at all unless you control her directly.

If you DO control her directly, and know the tricks, god drat is she ever absurdly powerful.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Louisgod, I'd like to give you a big fuckin' internet high five. Were it not for you and the stickied thread, this game would have gone under my radar until it was (most likely) very hard to obtain.

I dusted off the Wii, ran system updates and made sure I changed the video setting from 480i to 480p. I don't know what people are talking about - the game looks great. Sure, the faces are a little fuzzy, but that is about it. The game also makes my Wii somewhat loud when it's reading the disc (which can be often) but that is also minor.

For the last 2 hours I have found myself jumping around like an idiot playing errand boy, but it has been amazing. The way quests are handled is fantastic. I haven't even touched purchasing armor/items/customizing skills yet either. I've barely scraped the surface and have already fallen in love. So once again, thanks buddy.

Also, the plains music! :allears:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
:cool:

So glad people are able to enjoy the game without having to hack their Wii.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

oswald ownenstein posted:

I'm a complete retard and I know nothing about Dolphin. I just did some google and yes those screens you linked look gorgeous.

I assume at a minimum I'll have to start the game over from scratch, no?

I don't think you or myself for that matter, are into the game far enough to worry about sacrificing progress. It's totally worth it, providing your PC can handle it.

I have an i5 2500k and this game runs perfectly at 1920x1080p, 30 fps. Google dolphin-x64-icc-sse41-xbpatch31, it's what I use, together with MotionInJoy and a PS3 controller.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

Louisgod, I'd like to give you a big fuckin' internet high five. Were it not for you and the stickied thread, this game would have gone under my radar until it was (most likely) very hard to obtain.

I dusted off the Wii, ran system updates and made sure I changed the video setting from 480i to 480p. I don't know what people are talking about - the game looks great. Sure, the faces are a little fuzzy, but that is about it. The game also makes my Wii somewhat loud when it's reading the disc (which can be often) but that is also minor.

For the last 2 hours I have found myself jumping around like an idiot playing errand boy, but it has been amazing. The way quests are handled is fantastic. I haven't even touched purchasing armor/items/customizing skills yet either. I've barely scraped the surface and have already fallen in love. So once again, thanks buddy.

Also, the plains music! :allears:

Definitely this. Please make sure to get Wii component(mine came with composite) cables and make the switch in the system settings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dolphin does support importing Wii saves. Copy your save to a sd card or usb stick. Then in Dolphin go to Tools -> Wii Save Import.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Man I hope EB still have my copy; was to busy and wasn't able to grab it Friday or Saturday and on Sunday the mall was closed.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

NESguerilla posted:

Does anyone know how long Gamestop holds preorders? My roomate preordered this and ended up in the hospital so he might not be able to pick it up for a week or so.

I think I remember reading it's 48 hours. I'm almost certain it's not more than that. It's not going to be there next week.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Lakitu7 posted:

I think I remember reading it's 48 hours. I'm almost certain it's not more than that. It's not going to be there next week.

You can ask them to hold it longer. I'm sure they would be understanding that he's in the hospital. I mean, Gamestop is bad and all, but they aren't COMPLETE scum.

Just logged in at about 23 and a half hours and just got to Eryth Sea. Man, I am loving this game. It's like they just looked at all the annoying stuff JRPGs (and even western RPGs) do and just said 'let's fix this'. It doesn't do anything new, it just does (99.9% of) everything right. My main gripe as of right now are that I've encountered two boss fights that (spoilering just in case) as soon as you get them to half health they interrupt you with a cutscene and then BAM right back to full health. They don't even justify it with a transformation or anything. It's just padding and it's really annoying. :argh:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Shield is useless unless there's an incoming Talent Art, which always gets announced. Speed really ups your evasion rate to everything, so that's still useful. Enchant does add some damage to all attacks but it's not a whole lot or anything.

For the Buster, make sure you position yourself so the enemies are in a line with you. It actually attacks a pretty big line out in front of you and can hit a lot of mobs at once if you do it right.

Talent arts don't always get announced unfortunately; sometimes you just have to look for animation tells.

Louisgod posted:

The main grievance I can understand he noted is not having more control of your party members, but when things go south in a battle, it's surprisingly easy to instruct your teammates by warning them, which at that point you just heal. If you're attracting unique bosses or level 90 enemies that aren't aggressive, then you're not focusing your party properly. His complaints are minor and easily worked around and shouldn't break his ability to play the game.

Speaking of, is there anyway to have more control of your party aside from chain attacks and warnings? I keep dying to the dude in the Igra fortress partly because his attacks don't always generate premonitions, and if I could just more consistently tell my teammates to do things life would be so much better. Can I swap control mid battle or something?

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Brackhar posted:

Speaking of, is there anyway to have more control of your party aside from chain attacks and warnings? I keep dying to the dude in the Igra fortress partly because his attacks don't always generate premonitions, and if I could just more consistently tell my teammates to do things life would be so much better. Can I swap control mid battle or something?
Nope you can't, it's probably done not to make the game too trivially easy (but that is a :can: because a lot of the mechanics would have to be changed to conform being able to micro anyone)
That boss is a difficult fight if you are even levelled so I guess you could try leveling more or getting into the fight with the party gauge full or getting better gems, I killed him like in my third try.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Anyone else's pre-order, delivery, still showing as "Open"? And my card hasn't been charged yet.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Azraden posted:

I've encountered two boss fights that (spoilering just in case) as soon as you get them to half health they interrupt you with a cutscene and then BAM right back to full health. They don't even justify it with a transformation or anything. It's just padding and it's really annoying. :argh:

Those seemed like even though they filled back up the bosses took about as long to take down as it did to get their health that low in the first place, so I think that damage is still taken in consideration, just in a wonky way.

Also I'm 30 hours in and just reached Eryth Sea Fantastic game so far. I did feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to do in Frontier Village though, at some I was just like gently caress it and decided to advance the story.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 9, 2012

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Man, I really gained a new appreciation for this game this weekend. I had to be away from my Wii for a couple days because of family time. I played another JRPG on my 3DS instead (DQ9), and man, the whole time I was wishing I was playing Xenoblade instead. It just streamlines things so much. I'm spoiled! It's just so hard going back to other JRPGs, and DQ9 is one of the better ones!

Needless to say I'm happy to be back home with my Wii.

Lazy Bastard
Aug 23, 2004
Laziness is an art
15 hours in and I'm just starting to get the hang of things. Loving the game so far, but I am having problems playing other characters besides Shulk. I can't seem to get the hang of controlling them as well as the AI. I want to try tanking with Reyn but I can't seem to hold agro for long, especially against packs.

I have Reyn decked out in the highest physical resist armor, should I switch some out so he will do more damage? The AI seems to be holding agro fine with his current equipment, but I just can't do it when I'm playing him.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I've gotten into the habit of having Sharla on point and just healing/buffing/sniping while the other guys rush down. Any pointers for Sharla-sniping, from the more experienced Xenoblade players? (I'm 8 hours in and I've just reached (location, approximately 15% through the main story)Colony 6.)

Moreover, does Sharla on point remain viable throughout the game? Where is it a -very- bad or good idea?

deepshock fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 9, 2012

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You'll need to change up your combinations to build affinity if you want to get the heart-to-hearts, and there's no penalty for dying, so try out different combinations and see :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just want to say that I bought this game on the recommendation of this thread alone. It is loving awesome and I am enjoying every minute of it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
So I am thinking of trying this out because of this thread, and the fact that my Wii is collecting dust and I feel bad for not using it. I have not played a lot of JRPG's in the past. My experience with them revolves around playing Final Fantasy 7 on PS1, and Phantasy Star 2 (Might have been 3) on the Genesis. I liked both of those but never finished them. Exploration and great scenery would be important, and a good story. When I would watch videos of JRPG's (Final Fantasy games for this generation of console) what I didn't like were the character emo styles and horrible voice acting, or high pitched squealing of some characters that made everything seem pretty juvenile.

I have heard the graphics are good enough, exploration is fun, the story is well done (Although I am not sure how much story concepts change from JRPG's to something like Skyrim) and there are some MMO elements. I guess my only hitch to trying it out would be if the characters themselves are similar in scope (and voice acting) to angsty teenagers or not? That really has been the only thing putting me off from trying other JRPG's as well. I ask because I heard the voice acting here was good, so I am hoping my possible complaint goes by the wayside.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Utnayan posted:

So I am thinking of trying this out because of this thread, and the fact that my Wii is collecting dust and I feel bad for not using it. I have not played a lot of JRPG's in the past. My experience with them revolves around playing Final Fantasy 7 on PS1, and Phantasy Star 2 (Might have been 3) on the Genesis. I liked both of those but never finished them. Exploration and great scenery would be important, and a good story. When I would watch videos of JRPG's (Final Fantasy games for this generation of console) what I didn't like were the character emo styles and horrible voice acting, or high pitched squealing of some characters that made everything seem pretty juvenile.

I have heard the graphics are good enough, exploration is fun, the story is well done (Although I am not sure how much story concepts change from JRPG's to something like Skyrim) and there are some MMO elements. I guess my only hitch to trying it out would be if the characters themselves are similar in scope (and voice acting) to angsty teenagers or not? That really has been the only thing putting me off from trying other JRPG's as well. I ask because I heard the voice acting here was good, so I am hoping my possible complaint goes by the wayside.

The motivation for most of the first part of the game is strictly revenge. It really doesn't fall into the realm of teen angst though. What they are doing is justifiable because that revenge has the added bonus of stopping a threat against the inhabitants of Bionis. The game has a twist around the halfway point that reverses the motivations a bit, its well executed even though its a fairly common twist.

Voice acting is pretty good, I didn't find any character which voice I absolutely loathed. Its very british and some times you'll hear a word being pronounced differently (Geysers!) but it adds to the charm.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah the voice acting is really good.

Is there a wiki or guide for this game somewhere that I can read at work to review mechanics and stuff?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Thanks for posting the last thread. I likely wouldn't have dropped the money for this game, or any JRPG of this generation for that matter, had it not been for that thread and the SA hivemind showing me the way. Now I'm mad that I chose to go to college because I can't play for the few hours I'm in class.

WHAT A BUNCH A JOKUHS!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I feel kinda bad for reading the sidequest FAQ on Gamefaqs, if I hadn't checked that I would have been in for a fun surprise with one of the quests in the marsh.

Namely, the one where you put an artifact on the altar on top of the lizardman fortress and summon two or three giant fuckoff spiders that want you dead. Of course, despite the fact I knew they were coming I still had a lot of trouble getting away because the back door to the fortress was closed and I couldn't open it with one of the spiders chasing me. That meant the only options I had were 1) go out through the front door and get seven or eight lizardmen on your tail and 2) go back to the rooftop and jump off. I did the latter (:black101:) although being chased out of the front door by a bunch of angry lizards with swords and a giant spider would have been a viable option as well. (And for some reason I can't imagine that scene without Yakety Sax starting to play in my head)

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Louisgod posted:

Now I feel bad for putting you on ignore shortly before you became a mod. I could never change the setting, due to your status. I've been having to click to see your posts for years, and I can't even remember why I ignored you in the first place.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Redchaostry posted:

Anyone else's pre-order, delivery, still showing as "Open"? And my card hasn't been charged yet.

It's just Nintendo being bad at shipping stuff, my tracking number still doesn't work and I got that on Friday.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: oops! Sorry for the near misleading

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 9, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The hell they are. I just got an email from Nintendo telling me that my copy was heading out. :dance:

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

deepshock posted:

I've gotten into the habit of having Sharla on point and just healing/buffing/sniping while the other guys rush down. Any pointers for Sharla-sniping, from the more experienced Xenoblade players? (I'm 8 hours in and I've just reached (location, approximately 15% through the main story)Colony 6.)

Moreover, does Sharla on point remain viable throughout the game? Where is it a -very- bad or good idea?

A player-controlled Sharla basically makes the party immortal, so I wouldn't say that she ever stops being viable, no. I personally find her pretty boring to play, since her healing is kind of overkill for most of the game and she really doesn't bring much else to the table. As long as you're having fun, though, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having Sharla on point. Just remember that you don't have to include her in your party if you want to switch things up later on!

Increased heat in Sharla's rifle boosts her damaging arts and lowers her healing. It's not a huge deal, but if you can squeeze out one last attack before cooling off (and without overheating, obviously), go ahead and do so. During boss fights, keeping heat low lets you maximise your healing output, so consider going easy on the damage and cooling off early if you're having trouble keeping the party up.

Really, there isn't all that much to say about Sharla once you've got healing figured out. She's got a handful of offensive abilities, mostly on long cooldowns, that you use when you can. Tranquiliser is powerful when you're outgunned, but also fiddly to use without one of your party members immediately waking the victim up. Practice using it together with the focus command to avoid the target getting tagged by aoe attacks or the like. Her setup really hamstrings your ability to do chain combos, which sucks, but there's not a whole lot you can do about that. Having AI party members with good talent arts lets you work around Sharla's combo-related handicaps to some extent, but I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I stopped using sniper pretty early unless I really need healing for a particular unique mob or something. Stopped maining the magician once I figured out that you can get her to unfuck herself if you call an all out assault on a mob. She tends to glitch and just wait around with her balls hanging in the air if you aren't controlling her or using that work around. Stopped using the beaver thing as a tank/dps hybrid once I got a certain character. Swordsman never really clicked on me and piledriver was dull.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 9, 2012

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
How are people getting their dolphin emulator to upscale? I've set the graphics resolution to 1920x1080, but the game keeps defaulting to 640.

Actual content: this game is awesome. I bought it based only off the reccomendation from louisgod, and holy gently caress. The amount of customization in this is great. Even if I don't ocd every collectable, there's still plenty to do.

The thing that I really like tho is the story. As someone said earlier, every cutscene makes me more and more involved. It's really nice to have characters I actually care about (or at least ones I can stand). This will be probably the first jrpg ill finish since the days of Lunar for the Segacd.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Got my shipping e-mail from Nintendo too! :D I've been following this thread religiously so I couldn't be more excited. I've promised people I was going to play thru Dragon Age 2 and the Mass Effects next, but I haven't played a good JRPG in so long I'm not sure I can resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kris xK posted:

How are people getting their dolphin emulator to upscale? I've set the graphics resolution to 1920x1080, but the game keeps defaulting to 640.

Actual content: this game is awesome. I bought it based only off the reccomendation from louisgod, and holy gently caress. The amount of customization in this is great. Even if I don't ocd every collectable, there's still plenty to do.

The thing that I really like tho is the story. As someone said earlier, every cutscene makes me more and more involved. It's really nice to have characters I actually care about (or at least ones I can stand). This will be probably the first jrpg ill finish since the days of Lunar for the Segacd.
Dont upscale, have it actually render at the higher resolution. Go to configuration and pick enhancements. There set the internal resolution to 2x-4x. Set AF and AA as high as you want/can handle.

• Locked thread