Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Zodijackylite posted:

Great, catchy riffs, and they repeat the riffs more than you typically hear in death metal. They're just all around badass.

They won't tour the US, they're not a full-time band anymore. They played MDF a few years ago, but other than that, they haven't played the US since 1994 - a disastrous US tour led to Andy Whale and Karl Willets leaving the band.

So basically I just fell in love with a band I will realistically never see live. Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Frank Caskelot posted:

I thought they were boring as gently caress, and I do love their records, especially The Mantle. They just seemed to strip everything that makes them special for me away from their live set. I even began to question if I really like any of their other albums, but now that I've slept on it, I won't go so far. And I can't even remember the last time I've been disappointed with a live gig.

Edit: Did I mention the mixing was atrocious? The drums were so loud they drowned the low end of the guitars, so half the time I wasn't sure what at least one of the guitarists were playing, especially in bits with fast drums. Not to mention Haughm's mic wasn't on for the first 10 minutes or so and then he became more than barely audible during the third or fourth song.

I don't know, I enjoyed it but maybe I was too drunk to know better? I agree about the drums though. The fact that Aesop hits loving hard all the drat time even if it doesn't really fit the part probably made it worse. The bass was also sort of drowning things out. Too few songs off of The Mantle, actually only In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion I guess? but I was kind of expecting that they would mostly be playing faster songs that have more electric guitar and not so much of the acoustic stuff, which is a shame really since they could have pulled those songs off too if they wanted to.

Now you're making me think the gig left more and more to be desired... drat you.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Nuclear Fetus posted:

I don't know, I enjoyed it but maybe I was too drunk to know better? I agree about the drums though. The fact that Aesop hits loving hard all the drat time even if it doesn't really fit the part probably made it worse. The bass was also sort of drowning things out. Too few songs off of The Mantle, actually only In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion I guess? but I was kind of expecting that they would mostly be playing faster songs that have more electric guitar and not so much of the acoustic stuff, which is a shame really since they could have pulled those songs off too if they wanted to.

Now you're making me think the gig left more and more to be desired... drat you.

Sorry.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

rxcowboy posted:

So basically I just fell in love with a band I will realistically never see live. Fantastic.

I saw them on Saturday at Boltfest, a one-off 25th anniversary show they did, and they were basically incredible. Sorry. They rarely play live even in the UK - seems like it's a gig every couple of years or so. I'd suggest moving here if you want to see them, and buying tickets as soon as you can (Boltfest sold out super fast). There were tons of people from all over the place there on Saturday - we spoke to fans from Germany, France, the Netherlands, Sweden, Spain, Italy. It was eye-opening.

Speaking of bands who rarely tour, I'm really looking forward to seeing Agalloch on Wednesday. I'll bear criticisms ITT in mind, but I still think it's going to be great. And Fen are opening, too, which will be fab, because even though I've seen them a dozen times they just get better and better.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Boltfest was responsible for some of the worst hangovers known to man. Well since Mortuary Drape last year anyway...

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rxcowboy posted:

Welcome to Death Metal.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

rxcowboy posted:

Sounds like 9/10 of the bands I'm into.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

The Clit Avoider posted:

Boltfest was responsible for some of the worst hangovers known to man. Well since Mortuary Drape last year anyway...

Haha, I got all my drinking done early on, so I wasn't too pished by the end. Getting a chip butty on the way home was a good idea too. But yeah, seems most people started at lunchtime (like we did) then drank in the queue, then all the way through the gig - all six hours of it. Gotta love life in Binge-Drinking Britain.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you're working out, throw on some Bolt Thrower and suddenly you make huge gains, it's a cool effect.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nuclear Fetus posted:

I was completely sober and I enjoyed the gig really, really, really much.
The beginning was bad since the bad mixing made most of Into The Painted Grey into an undiscernible wall of sound, and some tall hipster kid kept blocking my view with his Justin Bieber hair-do. But then either the mixing improved a bit, or I just went deaf enough that my ears filtered the sound somewhat. :v: And the hipster drifted away to the side, too. And, well, I dunno, after a while I was really into the gig and thought the atmosphere was really drat powerful.
It's funny, usually Agalloch is pretty much relaxing mood-music for me, but there on the gig it just worked differently and I was just full of emotion and energy. One of the most intense live experiences I've had, I must say. I just wish they had played She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, but otherwise the set was fine by me.

Also, the grey T-Shirt I bought is loving sweet.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 9, 2012

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday
You know those kind of one-in-a-million photos that you snap unintentionally and accidentally capture something amazing? This one of Karl Willetts that EvilMoJoJoJo snapped when we saw Bolt Thrower at the weekend is basically just that

:shepface:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

rxcowboy posted:

Isis :(

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Stoo posted:

You know those kind of one-in-a-million photos that you snap unintentionally and accidentally capture something amazing? This one of Karl Willetts that EvilMoJoJoJo snapped when we saw Bolt Thrower at the weekend is basically just that

:shepface:
don't make me post that hail-mary photo of horgh again

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

quote:

so I fell in love with a band I'll never see...?

There's always a chance. With a little bit of luck, I've now seen them four times.

Two of those times were at MDF. There's hope, haha. THey play about 1 big fest a year.
e: duh

I had a few friends at Boltfest who, I assume, are still too hungover to tell me how amazing it was. Sounds like a really great time.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

vanov posted:

edit: Koloss, as an album, sounds like the process by which older first-generation iPods are harvested for rare materials and turned into new sleek iPods -- Koloss is that older iPod. If there is a sound for soulless calculated industry at the hands of endless fleets of corporate drones, like the soundtrack to Foxconn or something, this is that album. While I get that that's their "thing," it stopped sounding like T-1000 metal and more like conveyor belts on record three albums ago.

Just got around to listening to Koloss and your post happened to sum up my thoughts on Meshuggah beautifully.

In other news, I like some of the riffs vildhjarta writes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZozraaeSuMc

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

rxcowboy posted:

...or evidently record new material. When they said that they pretty much ditched the material proposed for a follow up to 2005's Those Once Loyal, feeling it would not live up to what they considered to be their best material, I could neither disagree or accept the statement. It has taken me years to come to terms with this.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

...or evidently record new material. When they said that they pretty much ditched the material proposed for a follow up to 2005's Those Once Loyal, feeling it would not live up to what they considered to be their best material, I could neither disagree or accept the statement. It has taken me years to come to terms with this.

This gets better and better.

Well, I never thought I'd get to see Sleep live, and they are touring again. So maybe there is still hope.

Or I'd just go insane, become fixated on Bolt Thrower, learn to play guitar and start a Bolt Thrower cover band called No Longer Loyal.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It still makes me tear up each and every day.

Also, here's some more bad news for those of you going to see Behemoth on their first five date: Watain isn't showing up.

"Blabbermouth posted:

Swedish black metallers WATAIN have been forced to cancel the first five shows (including one headlining performance) of their previously announced North American tour — scheduled to start tomorrow (Wednesday, April 11) in Columbus, Ohio — due to delays in the visa process.

Comments the band in a collective statement: "It's not the first time the law stands in our way trying to prevent us from doing our work, and just like all the previous times, it will lay broken and humiliated eventually. We are content we will be victorious. Meanwhile, we ask all our U.S. supporters to have patience and prepare themselves for the coming of WATAIN!"

WATAIN's first show as part of the Decibel Magazine Tour 2012 — alongside BEHEMOTH, THE DEVIL'S BLOOD and IN SOLITUDE — will now take place on Monday, April 16 at Granada Theater in Lawrence, Kansas.

loving hell. I'm assuming they are talking about problems with work visas. I was really hoping they were going to be there after the controversy of the tour needing to switch venues because of religious differences between the last venue owners and all the bands playing. I figured this was going to be one of the most righteous and blasphemous shows, but without Watain being there tomorrow it is going to be really underwhelming.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Phew that scared the hell out of me, I thought they were going to say that Watain cancelled altogether. Luckily they'll be here by the time I'm going to see them.

edit-- sorry, I came off as a bit of a dick. Sorry to those that are going to be missing them :(

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 10, 2012

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004
Cannot wait for that show in Worcester.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Could you imagine being the guy working when they came in for their Visa's.

:) "I'm sorry but they won't be ready, you should have just come in last week and we could have them in time."

:black101: "Putrid scum. This is not the first time the law has stood in our way trying to prevent us from doing our work, and just like all the previous times, it will lay broken and humiliated eventually. We will only be content when we are victorious!"

:raise: "Uhhh, yeah. Sorry again I'd help if I could. Just come in a few days earlier next time."

I'm sure it's something much more serious and discriminatory against the dark lord's work, but it's a funny scenario.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Work visas are a pain in the rear end. Bands (or anyone?) don't get them until ~3 days before departure, so by the time anyone knows anything is wrong, it's butting into the tour.

Also, you can get a visa and still be denied at US customs, leaving the band to be trapped in the airport until they can get home.

I keep thinking there has to be a better way...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The "better way" was to sneak in through customs with a tourist visa and not bother even attempting the working visa. Unfortunately every cretin on M-A seeking to make public the real names of bands renders this near enough impossible when a bunch of guys turn up with maybe 2 guitars between them, and a quick google of their names reveals a band name, then the googling the band name lists tour dates.

They're really loving expensive for the USA too. Add in the cost of flights and venues taking cuts of your merch and its no surprise a lot of bands based outside North America don't see the point in touring too often.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

The Clit Avoider posted:

The "better way" was to sneak in through customs with a tourist visa and not bother even attempting the working visa. Unfortunately every cretin on M-A seeking to make public the real names of bands renders this near enough impossible when a bunch of guys turn up with maybe 2 guitars between them, and a quick google of their names reveals a band name, then the googling the band name lists tour dates.

They're really loving expensive for the USA too. Add in the cost of flights and venues taking cuts of your merch and its no surprise a lot of bands based outside North America don't see the point in touring too often.

This is the exact reason why Martin van Drunen never wants to tour in the U.S., because of poo poo like this and the visa process itself. We suck when it comes to treating musicians. Hell, not even Malevolent Creation will tour the U.S. anymore, and they are a part of it!

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Martin Van Drunen won't tour the US because American fans aren't brutal enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMp97zFn_tM

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Out of curiosity, has anyone in the California area seen my buddys' band, Contrast the Water live? They've semi-relocated there from South Africa on some sort of refugee program (:rolleye:) and they have pretty much been playing non-stop.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
I just discovered Black Knight and I can't help but grin like an idiot when I listen to this.

It is awesome. :colbert:

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

fuf posted:

Yeah I hate to admit it but the new dragonforce album is almost actually-good rather than just comedy-cheesy-good.

I'm a page late, but once you get past the first two songs (which could easily fit in with the Ultra Beatdown/Inhuman Rampage albums), the rest is pretty loving good.

Slow instrumental/acoustic tracks in a Dragonforce album, what's going on here.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Corvinus posted:

I'm a page late, but once you get past the first two songs (which could easily fit in with the Ultra Beatdown/Inhuman Rampage albums), the rest is pretty loving good.

Their new vocalist isn't too shabby either. I was a fan of ZP (mostly due to unnatural patriotism) but the new guy definitely had the chops and the presence. I watched the video for the first single off the album and was actually quite impressed by the maturity of the band. It's a lot more anthemic and less wanky.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bit of shameless self promo, but my band just released a music video and we put it on that Wackentube site on the off chance people vote for us and we get to go to Germany. You have to sign up to rate videos, which blows, but I figured I'd at least drop it here for your listening pleasure.

Here's the Wackentube link
and here's a much higher quality version because the size limit on Wackentube is only 100mb so we had to compress the poo poo out of it.

It's a really simple video due to time/budget constraints (read: none of either) but I think it looks pretty rad so hopefully the metal thread approves.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 11, 2012

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just listened to Aggaloch for the first time. This is loving awesome, and unlike Bolt-Thrower I might actually get to see them live!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

rxcowboy posted:

Just listened to Aggaloch for the first time. This is loving awesome, and unlike Bolt-Thrower I might actually get to see them live!
they almost never tour :v:

Recently they have been but most people complain about their quality live.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

they almost never tour :v:

Recently they have been but most people complain about their quality live.

gently caress this I'm going to go listen to Lady Gaga.

I'm just starting to get into metal, never really listened to real metal before I got clean a few years ago, so many of the bands I want to see I will realistically never get a chance to.

Death. I would pay good money to see Death. And well, that's not really an option anymore. I got to see Slayer twice, and there were awesome but you can tell the vocals just aren't the same as they were in the 80s. Which is completely understandable. Megadeth was awesome though, and Anthrax loving blew me away. There are a bunch of European bands like Krypts, Vector, and Vader that don't tour that much. Even if they do tour, they probably won't come to my city. I like hardcore/metalcore too, but jesus christ the majority of shows in my area are 'scene' shows.

The best upcoming show is Mastodon/Ghost, and that's saying alot right there.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

So is anyone in the UK going to Download festival this year? It's a great chance to get shitfaced and party while listening to metal.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 12, 2012

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Diablo Swing Orchestra released a new song. I love these guys, though if you haven't heard of them you should know what you're getting yourself into. It's metal (kinda barely) with a fairly legitimate opera singer and compositions with really heavy swing-jazz influence with lots of cello and brass and stuff.

Their two albums are both fantastic. If you're into this kind of avant-garde poo poo, I can't recommend them enough.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 12, 2012

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trees and Squids posted:

Diablo Swing Orchestra released a new song. I love these guys, though if you haven't heard of them you should know what you're getting yourself into. It's metal (kinda barely) with a fairly legitimate opera singer and compositions with really heavy swing-jazz influence with lots of cello and brass and stuff.

Their two albums are both fantastic. If you're into this kind of avant-garde poo poo, I can't recommend them enough.

I like them and they sometimes show up in the metal thread. I like this single.

BoyGenius
Jul 22, 2003

by Ralp
Two bands I've been listening to a lot of recently:

Dark Tranquility - Out of Nothing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Dkr5HGNsI

All Shall Perish - The Day of Justice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77p4nRKdiOk

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really love Diablo Swing Orchestra's swing-ragtime-metal thing they have going on in a few of their songs, but I can't say I'm fond of the rest of what they do. Some of their songs are pretty drat terrible and boring, but I'm not sure anyone else is around that combines swing and metal so they'll always have a spot on my playlist.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Well, so far one act is confirmed for Scion Fest 2012 in Tampa: Merzbow

:stare: It's okay, I didn't need my eardrums anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Full stream of the new In Mourning album, The Weight of Oceans, which comes out next week, here

Pro tip: It loving rules.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 12, 2012