Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Internet Kraken posted:

I am reminded of one of those human evolution charts for some reason.

Speaking of redesigns, the Geth went through a lot of them. Some of them I'm not sure why, like the geth troopers in Mass Effect 3 not having solid paints and instead now have random stripes. Doesn't seem like something a synthetic would do and futhermore :spergin:

"This unit requires racing stripes. They make us faster."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
Legion has speed holes.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dr. Abysmal posted:

No, as posted earlier, Liara's face was based on actress Jillian Murray. Not loving hentai or whatever.

Oh, how 'bout that. Was that always the case, or just Shadow Broker and beyond?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Toast Museum posted:

Oh, how 'bout that. Was that always the case, or just Shadow Broker and beyond?

It's always been the case since ME1. They've improved the texture over time but it's basically like how the Vanderloo face has looked more detailed as the series went on.

Actually a lot of the new characters in ME2 and ME3 had face scans of real people. James has one, Jamal Kazak, as does Jacob, Kenyon Glover. Jack also had a real model per the art book but nobody has been able to identify who it was. Most of them turned out really well, the only ones that didn't really work were Strahovksi and Chobot.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Actually a lot of the new characters in ME2 and ME3 had face scans of real people. James has one, Jamal Kazak, as does Jacob, Kenyon Glover. Jack also had a real model per the art book but nobody has been able to identify who it was. Most of them turned out really well, the only ones that didn't really work were Strahovksi and Chobot.

For anyone who's interested - Vega/Jamal Kazak and Jacob/Kenyon Glover. And here's Kai Leng/Michael Kroeber.

:allears:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Which boxes do I need to check in the ME2 save editor to get Legion early? Also, do I need to disable him when I get up to his actual acquisition mission?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I didn't know that Kai Leng had a model, especially considering they covered half of his face with the silly Nightwing mask.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I didn't know that Kai Leng had a model, especially considering they covered half of his face with the silly Nightwing mask.

I just found out Shepard can wear that too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CaptainCarrot posted:

At least, it is for the few enemies that can actually be pulled.

Even on Insanity, >50% of the enemies you face can be pulled immediately.

And most of the others just require an overload first.

(Or in the case of Guardians, two pulls)

sassassin fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 9, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Elysiume posted:

Stop ruining my dreams. :qq:
He's not, you'll be using pull/throw during the entire game, even the last fight. On insanity.

Remember that warp --> throw on a shielded/amored target will still do a huge detonation, so will reave --> warp or warp--> reave.

It's like playing me1 all over again :allears:

Count Choculitis posted:

For anyone who's interested - Vega/Jamal Kazak and Jacob/Kenyon Glover. And here's Kai Leng/Michael Kroeber.

HELLO VEGA.

real talk: who is kaidan's model?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of redesigns, the Geth went through a lot of them. Some of them I'm not sure why, like the geth troopers in Mass Effect 3 not having solid paints and instead now have random stripes. Doesn't seem like something a synthetic would do and futhermore :spergin:

Remember hoppers?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Banjodark posted:

HELLO VEGA.

real talk: who is kaidan's model?

That smile! So cute! And I wish I knew who Kaidan's model is. I have tumblred and googled with no success. :(

EDIT:

Perfect timing on my tumblr dashboard - face models for manShep, Kaidan (apparently Jeff Zalzali), Jacob, Vega, Miranda, Samara, Liara, Kai Leng, and Zaeed! Oh apparently they might not all be totally accurate but they DO look very similar.

Count Choculitis fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 9, 2012

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Count Choculitis posted:

And here's Kai Leng/Michael Kroeber.

:allears:

I just felt a way about Kai Leng I thought I'd never feel.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I just felt a way about Kai Leng I thought I'd never feel.

I know that feel. :(:hf::(

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Sometimes, enemy grenades will not explode, but simply vanish. Why is this?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

Sometimes, enemy grenades will not explode, but simply vanish. Why is this?

I haven't figured that one out yet; I can't settle on any kind of reliable correlation with something else (for example, maybe grenades despawning if the last enemy in range dies before the grenade explodes).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Tell me how to properly play a Vanguard. This biotic charge thing seems to get me killed all too often. Why should I leave the safety of cover to throw myself into the middle of an enemy squad?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Baron Bifford posted:

Tell me how to properly play a Vanguard. This biotic charge thing seems to get me killed all too often. Why should I leave the safety of cover to throw myself into the middle of an enemy squad?

You're too much of a baby to be a vanguard, sorry.

Make sure you have 200% recharge and then Charge/Nova/Charge/Nova/Charge/Nova until the end of time.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I have to agree. Using it in Me2 & 3 just ends up in horrible death or stupid situations I could've avoided by being methodical and picking them off.

I think I just suck at the game.

However, I have had a few hilarious moments in multiplayer where my ragdoll body has gone flying across the battlefield while I'm already dead because I BC'd at JUST the right/wrong time.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Unlike in Multiplayer, charging out into the open will immediately get you way more heat than you can handle, so you do need to be a bit more strategic with it.

Generally you want to be looking for opportunities to charge at something and then get back to cover within a second or two, whether by foot or by a second charge. Look for cases where enemies have an obstacle between them blocking line of sight.

Other biotics can help you out in terms of reducing the heat. Liara can use stasis and (Kaidan?) can lift. These spells will really reduce the amount of incoming fire and make charging around a bit safer.

Charge sometimes means leaning on the right shoulder button and looking around to make a plan for what to do next.

Also realize that there are times you really should not be charging.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I disrespectfully disagree. Vanguard is a class for maniacs and it should be played like that.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
In ME2 you generally want to charge single targets, to minimize risk to yourself. In ME3 you want to charge in the middle of a cluster of enemies, so you can send them all flying with a subsequent nova.

If the enemies are shielded, have a squad mate use overload, then charge the target to set off a tech detonation, which will generally wipe out or severely damage everyone's shields.

Same thing for armored or barriered enemies, but then you use warp or reave first.

Unarmored opponents don't really need special treatment, but any biotic power with a short cooldown is good for setting up a biotic detonation.

And while there are times that you shouldn't be charging, those times are very, very rare.

Take the charge evolutions that give a bonus to power damage and restore 100% barrier. Take the nova evolutions that maximize area of effect and the one that only uses half of your shields (not strictly necessary, but it will make surviving a hell of a lot easier). Build you character to maximize shields and power damage. Cooldowns are important as well, but the 200% bonus from low weight is pretty much all you need.

Take one long range weapon with you to deal with stuff that can't be charged, other than that, you don't need weapons.

All it really boils down to is just non-stop charge/nova/charge/nova.

edit:
If you prefer the safety of cover, then vanguard is not the class for you. Vanguard is not a class that should be played safe.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

The only time not to charge is when you can't target anything :black101:

Other advice: Only carry one weapon to minimize cooldown times. I recommend a pistol, preferably the Phalanx or Carnifex. Max out Charge and Nova as soon as you can. For level 6 charge, take the 100% barrier option. Take the Charge option that boots subsequent power damage and the Nova option that reduces subsequent cooldowns. If you find yourself dying often, take the Charge and Nova options that increase range and number of targets rather than force and damage, and take the half blast option for Nova so you're not completely without barriers. I rarely use my weapon or melee attacks, so I favor the power damage and heath/barrier increases for Alliance Training and Fitness.

Basically, constantly stay in motion. If there are enemies around and you aren't in cooldown, you should probably be charging. After you charge, hit nova. By the time the animation finishes, you'll probably be ready to charge again. Really, the flowchart from the ME2 thread can be replaced with:

10 Charge
20 Nova
30 Goto 10

I don't find squadmates as important for vanguards as for other classes, but overload's nice to have, and Javik's damage over time power is handy because it will detonate on charge/nova and jump to another enemy in time for the next charge.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I didn't melee much with vanguard Shepard but I think it's boring to just charge and nova for literally every attack so sometimes I would pull and charge scrubs, or just shotgun people because I still carried a lightweight shotgun the whole game (along with a pistol which I basically never used), Katana -> Disciple -> Wraith. I also took Reave as my bonus power so I could set up my own detonations with charge or even the lowly shockwave.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

The only time not to charge is when you can't target anything :black101:

So quite often, when the game bugs :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Do I need to keep Diana Allers on my ship? She has a weird face and the only reporter that I liked is dead (RIP Emily Wong).

Also, I wish I'd stop blundering into spoilers like Udina is working with Cerberus. I just wanted to see if Ashley would be in my squad!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Which bonus power should I pick for a Vanguard in ME2? Reave or Energy Drain? What about ME3?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Elysiume posted:

Do I need to keep Diana Allers on my ship? She has a weird face and the only reporter that I liked is dead (RIP Emily Wong).

The war assets she provides are trivial, so there's no pressing need to keep her around.

Baron Bifford posted:

Which bonus power should I pick for a Vanguard in ME2? Reave or Energy Drain? What about ME3?

Because of the shared cooldowns, I'd go with an ammo power in ME2. In ME3, I've been using Barrier for the increased power damage. It doesn't seem to have a significant effect on my cooldowns.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Baron Bifford posted:

I took reave in ME2, or stasis if you have the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC. You could take an ammo power, but you already have incendiary ammo, which is pretty drat good.

Any defensive power for ME3 is a good choice, just activate it and never turn it off.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I didn't melee much with vanguard Shepard but I think it's boring to just charge and nova for literally every attack so sometimes I would pull and charge scrubs, or just shotgun people because I still carried a lightweight shotgun the whole game (along with a pistol which I basically never used), Katana -> Disciple -> Wraith. I also took Reave as my bonus power so I could set up my own detonations with charge or even the lowly shockwave.

Yeah, I barely used melee in ME3 as a vanguard either. After charging and using nova, there would never be anything around in melee range. So either I'd just charge again, or use my rifle to finish something off.

Also you could've detonated pull with charge as well, no need to take reave.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Baron Bifford posted:

The correct answer (so long as you have the shadow broker dlc) is always stasis, regardless of class. It's even better than the ME3 version.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

dwazegek posted:

Also you could've detonated pull with charge as well, no need to take reave.

I know, my post was pretty poorly worded but I meant that I used reave to explode stuff that couldn't be pulled. Which I guess I could have just used the squad for but vanguard Shepard is a one man army.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Toast Museum posted:

The war assets she provides are trivial, so there's no pressing need to keep her around.
I guess I'll keep her around unless she annoys me as much as she seems to annoy everyone else.

It's interesting how ME3 brings back some ME1 mechanics. Pretty cool to play with. One thing it has is actual sprinting in combat, not just a faster jog. That brings me to a question--what determined how you ran in ME1? It seemed like it randomly chose between a run and a sprint.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Elysiume posted:

I guess I'll keep her around unless she annoys me as much as she seems to annoy everyone else.

It's interesting how ME3 brings back some ME1 mechanics. Pretty cool to play with. One thing it has is actual sprinting in combat, not just a faster jog. That brings me to a question--what determined how you ran in ME1? It seemed like it randomly chose between a run and a sprint.

When the game engine decided you where "in combat" I think. It allowed you to sprint for a limited time and melee things while sprinting. It made meleeing enemies really awkward in close quarters.

Saving all of the Feros colonists in particular :argh:

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

The correct answer (so long as you have the shadow broker dlc) is always stasis, regardless of class. It's even better than the ME3 version.
How? You can't shoot someone in Stasis in 2.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Elysiume posted:

ME1 and 2 both actually had proper sprinting, but it would only work during combat when there were enemies around (and it would be severely limited). If you'd hold the sprint button outside of combat, you would actually jog just as fast as without it, the only difference was a slight shift of camera angle and zoom, giving just the impression of running faster :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CaptainCarrot posted:

How? You can't shoot someone in Stasis in 2.

Yeah, but you don't need to when the target takes 3x damage immediately after falling out of it (6x if it's something that can be headshot). And it works on EVERYTHING.

Alongside the geth pulse shotgun you can literally one-shot YMIR mechs with it on insanity. It's magnificent.

edit: EVERYTHING

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 9, 2012

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

sassassin posted:

Even on Insanity, >50% of the enemies you face can be pulled immediately.

And most of the others just require an overload first.

(Or in the case of Guardians, two pulls)

Maybe I've just been playing too much multiplayer, with hordes of Rocket Troopers, Pyros, Ravagers, Centurions, etc.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I guess I'm near the end of the game, the next mission is Priority: Cerberus Headquarters. I think I did every single side-quest and got every War Asset, but it only shows 7100 or so. I think there's 7500, so I must've missed something.

This game seemed shorter than the previous two, but that might be because I've spread it out over the course of a month, so I didn't play but one or two hours of the single-player per session; or it might be because it is shorter, I don't know.

I almost don't want to finish it until they release the extended epilogue. I was hoping that the indoctrination theory would be true, but it sounds like it's not anymore. Now it seems that all the evidence in favor of it are just remnants and glimpses at their original plan. I really think they had the indoctrination idea in the game, that was the direction they were going with the ending(s), but it fizzled during development or something.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Crows Turn Off posted:

I guess I'm near the end of the game, the next mission is Priority: Cerberus Headquarters. This game seemed shorter than the previous two, but that might be because I've spread it out over the course of a month, so I didn't play but one or two hours of the single-player per session; or it might be because it is shorter, I don't know.

Seemed to me to be broadly in line with ME2, in terms of length. My first playthrough topped out just under 47 hours, and my second hit 44 I think. That said, I daresay you could blow through it pretty quickly if you only did the minimal pre-requisites to finish (as in ME1 and ME2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Burning Mustache posted:

ME1 and 2 both actually had proper sprinting, but it would only work during combat when there were enemies around (and it would be severely limited). If you'd hold the sprint button outside of combat, you would actually jog just as fast as without it, the only difference was a slight shift of camera angle and zoom, giving just the impression of running faster :v:
Seriously? :stare:

magimix posted:

Seemed to me to be broadly in line with ME2, in terms of length. My first playthrough topped out just under 47 hours, and my second hit 44 I think. That said, I daresay you could blow through it pretty quickly if you only did the minimal pre-requisites to finish (as in ME1 and ME2).
Cool, I'd actually been meaning to ask that.

• Locked thread