Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

We'll most likely be getting a Compellent SAN with an SSD tier, so that's taken care of (I assume that's what you mean by SSD caching?).

I did some messing around with pricing, and I don't think the value is there for Fiber Channel. An 8 Gb FC card is $700, a dual port 10Gb is $600. Add in the cost of FC switches and it starts to not look very great. Though FCoE could be useful, assuming it uses the same physical connections on the SAN as regular 10Gb.

I also think that politically, anything FC would be a tough sell to the rest of staff. We just recently started using iSCSI for some storage, we've got a simple array that's a couple years old, and that's pretty much it. Even then we're basically using it as direct attached SCSI. So change is tough.

We're working on that overall, but it's nice in a case like this I think to point out a few areas that won't change (or at least we're not buying hardware that forces a change). If everything is loaded up with 10Gb it's a lot easier to switch to FCoE when we've fudged it saying we'll start with iSCSI.

It looks like the Intel X520 and X540 (the cards I'd be using) support FCoE, though not sure about switching FCoE. Guess I need to dig into that awful EMC storage book again.

E: Looks like the 8024 does... something with FCoE:

E2: I guess so, this sounds useful, right?

Our network admin is still scared of link aggregation, so no chance of any help in that department. Just another thing I gotta figure out myself.
Yeah it isn't something you buy lots of, you would by maybe 1-2 8 port switches, and hook them to 4ish hosts(assuming you want a full mesh) The real gain in using FC is the lack of latency, 10GbE w/ FCoE would be a good choice if you don't want to spend the cash on full blown FC, the main thing you are trying to eliminate is the TCP encapsulation and the wait for a reply before sending the next packet, drastically cutting latency.
more here http://www.unifiedcomputingblog.com/?p=108

As far as your net admin goes re assure him that you can have a stand-by/failover nic for port aggregation

Of course I don't know how many servers you have or want to consolidate so only take what I say as something to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

complex posted:

These are not in Dell's Force10 line (http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/force10-networking) so I have to assume they are rebranded from some other company.

I could be wrong, but based on Dell's history and the design it looks to be a rebranded Brocade/Foundry.

As far as I know everything in the powerconnect line is rebranded brocade.

EDIT: I'm using Dell 6248's with the SFP module plugins in the back for my 10G network and it runs like a champ.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 6, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Rhymenoserous posted:

EDIT: I'm using Dell 6248's with the SFP module plugins in the back for my 10G network and it runs like a champ.

Yeah, these 8000 series switches are new, but what I'm finding of them is pretty positive.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

So I'm starting to juggle data around so I can upgrade my datastores to VMFS5. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to combine, for instance, two 2TB LUNs/VMFSs/datastores that are on one RAID set into one 4TB LUN/VMFS/datastore?

edit: I'm storage vMotioning VMs off of datastores, deleting the datastores, and creating new ones, not necessarily because it's required, but I have the room so why not.

fatjoint
Sep 28, 2005
Fatjoint

Erwin posted:

So I'm starting to juggle data around so I can upgrade my datastores to VMFS5. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to combine, for instance, two 2TB LUNs/VMFSs/datastores that are on one RAID set into one 4TB LUN/VMFS/datastore?

edit: I'm storage vMotioning VMs off of datastores, deleting the datastores, and creating new ones, not necessarily because it's required, but I have the room so why not.

That really depends on the activity asked of it right? But let's assume the virtual machines you're thinking of combining into a single datastore don't do a whole lot of datastore transfers - VMware will tell you that you should plan a limit of around 20-25 virtual machines in a lun.

Just on a side note, because I'm so frickin happy with our new purchase, let me gush about it for a moment.

I can say that Hitachi's SAN kicks rear end. We just purchased an AMS2100 with x6 8GB FC ports, and unlike what I've had to do with our NetApp filer, you do not have to assign pathing! With Hitachi, you create your host group and associate the FC ports with the WWNs of the servers, and you're done - nothing more to it. Internally of the SAN, pathing is auto-balanced across the hosts, so finally there's a GOOD reason to use Round Robin balancing.

fatjoint fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 6, 2012

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Never really expected to see anyone praise an AMS. We ditched an AMS2300 for Compellent and the UI was unresponsive and horrible, and IO performance was really terrible. Have they improved SMN2? It was taking me ~60 seconds from click on each link to page load.

Erwin posted:

If your storage does not have VAAI hardware locking you want to be careful about the number of VMs on each datastore. If you do have VAAI it is not a big deal.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Ok so this is a problem I'm having with getting my xendesktop install to work with my netscaler outside of our work environment. I was trying to use a self signed certificate but I kept getting authentication issues. So I went through the event log on the XenDesktop server and I found error 18001 with the following details:

After googling around I found that it’s cause by using a self signed certificate. So that made me go out to godaddy and purchase one for citrix.mydomain.org

Once it was issued it gave me a file download and inside were the following files:

I installed those on the server but I also need to install it on the netscaler. I already had the following self signed certificates on there:

I went out and clicked install from the SSL -> Certificates screen and filled out the form like this

I get the following message twice when I click install

Then I get this error message:

Any ideas on what I need to do? Do I need to download the certificates in a different format for the netscaler and try to install?

Noghri_ViR fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 6, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The netscaler is the Internet facing and acting as a CAG, right? If so then that is what you need to put the SSL cert on.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
.crt is probably PEM format. Try asking for it from GoDaddy for Apache, then tell Citrix it's PEM.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
use openssl command line to convert it

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
also your key file shouldn't be the same cert, it should be the key from the machine you made the ssl request from

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl

Internet Explorer posted:

The netscaler is the Internet facing and acting as a CAG, right? If so then that is what you need to put the SSL cert on.

Yep, that's what I'm trying to do.

madsushi posted:

.crt is probably PEM format. Try asking for it from GoDaddy for Apache, then tell Citrix it's PEM.

Did that and got the same error :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Noghri_ViR posted:

Yep, that's what I'm trying to do.

Did that and got the same error :(

Me and the guy above your post are trying to say the same thing. If you did the request for the server you need to do the process again for the netscaler. If the netscaler is acts the same as a CAG you do not need an SSL cert on the XenDesktop server. You need it on the Netscaler.

fatjoint
Sep 28, 2005
Fatjoint

KS posted:

Never really expected to see anyone praise an AMS. We ditched an AMS2300 for Compellent and the UI was unresponsive and horrible, and IO performance was really terrible. Have they improved SMN2? It was taking me ~60 seconds from click on each link to page load.

If your storage does not have VAAI hardware locking you want to be careful about the number of VMs on each datastore. If you do have VAAI it is not a big deal.

I don't know what SMN1 was like, but SMN2 is essentially just a web server you install on a guest vm, and it gathers the info from the filer. Totally refreshing of all data can take ~10 seconds, but normal clicking and working is very snappy.

Even with VAAI "locking" (don't remember hearing this term before), all storage vendors and VMware have always said 20-25 vms per lun, and I'm wanting to say Scott Lowe states it as well in Mastering vSphere 5.

Hehe, whenever I say "Scott Lowe" I imagine those kids in the desert in beyond thunderdome talking about the Capt.

Pantology posted:

All storage vendors and VMware have always said "It depends," and when pressed for a number have said something low and safe. With VAAI and some help from array-side caching technologies, you can get absurdly high densities under the right conditions. EMC has claimed up to 512 VMs per LUN, NetApp was claiming up to 128 on vSphere 4.1--I'm sure that's higher by now.

You're right... In terms of a what a typical buildout would be, it's safe to say that it would be the 20-25 per LUN mark, but with higher end builds you can do a lot.

fatjoint fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 8, 2012

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

fatjoint posted:

Even with VAAI "locking" (don't remember hearing this term before), all storage vendors and VMware have always said 20-25 vms per lun, and I'm wanting to say Scott Lowe states it as well in Mastering vSphere 5.

All storage vendors and VMware have always said "It depends," and when pressed for a number have said something low and safe. With VAAI and some help from array-side caching technologies, you can get absurdly high densities under the right conditions. EMC has claimed up to 512 VMs per LUN, NetApp was claiming up to 128 on vSphere 4.1--I'm sure that's higher by now.

Pantology fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 8, 2012

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

FISHMANPET posted:

So as I read through Masterping vSphere 5 and VMware vSphere Design, I'm mentally planning my departments virtualization build out (and my boss is listening to me on this, so I can't gently caress it up) and I decided to look for 10 Gb Switches.

:swoon: http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/managed-10gigabit-ethernet-switches :swoon:

Looks like Cisco doesn't even have an equivalent, so I'm guessing nobody does yet. And we can get it for only $10k!

I run a pair of them for more than a year, they are rock solid and great, full of features etc, cannot recommend them enough.
Also the latest firmware got some very nice web GUI now, same design as DRAC6 ones.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Rhymenoserous posted:

:wth:
Except some chassis-based blade/FC stuff Powerconect switches have nothing to do with Brocade.

All Powerconnects are built on Marvell or Broadcom platforms, exclusive designs for Dell.
It's actually not hard to tell as they don't even look similar to any Brocade switch. :P

szlevi fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 8, 2012

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, these 8000 series switches are new, but what I'm finding of them is pretty positive.

They work very well for me, a year ago I bought 3 for like ~$15k if I remember correctly... :) A pair of 8024F is working fine since for mixed iSCSI/LAN in my server room (storage-server-cluster backend, diff subnets instead of VLAN) plus I have an 8024 for 10Gb workstation aggregation, all are connected to my core E8212zl. The 8024 (non-F) was a true gem a year ago, nobody offered stackable 24-port 10GBASE-T (+4 SFP+ combo port) switch especially not for $5k... :D

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Go vmware!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Serfer posted:

Go vmware!

Are you trying to do this with the VM's on or off? If you need to keep it on I believe you can do it with a vmotion

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Corvettefisher posted:

Are you trying to do this with the VM's on or off? If you need to keep it on I believe you can do it with a vmotion
They're off, not that it matters, I was posting it more because VMWare messed up lose/loose.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Pantology posted:

Keep in mind that this depends a lot on how you use your storage, as well -- VMs per LUN is tied far more to VMFS metadata operations (which are locking) than VM disk I/O (which does not create any locks). If you're not a big user of thin provisioning, for example, you can get away with way higher densities as well because your only metadata operations occur during VM create/delete/poweron/poweroff and when you swap at the hypervisor level.

Edit: Snapshots, too, especially if you have a tendency to keep them around for awhile, because the delta files grow dynamically.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 9, 2012

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Serfer posted:

Go vmware!

I think some of their UI messages are written by high school interns:

"Oh some file or directory stuff is happening. You know, like some things, man."

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How good are the save my server 1750s and whatnot?

I really need a home server for practicing new and exciting stuff but most servers I come across are expensive?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

I play with pretty high settings and it's there for me too and it's loving stupid as hell.
Build a whitebox with components know to work, dint buy a server.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

evil_bunnY posted:

Build a whitebox with components know to work, dint buy a server.

This. Build a beefy workstation with some good parts and you will be set. You can virtualize ESXi installs as well to practice some HA/DRS/fun stuff.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Moey posted:

This. Build a beefy workstation with some good parts and you will be set. You can virtualize ESXi installs as well to practice some HA/DRS/fun stuff.
In my home lab, I once accidentally Storage vMotioned a thin-provisioned OpenSolaris VM into an iSCSI volume exported by itself. Don't do that.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sylink posted:

How good are the save my server 1750s and whatnot?

I really need a home server for practicing new and exciting stuff but most servers I come across are expensive?

Great for ESXi 4.1

get an SSD, 32GB ram and a x6 and you can run just as and don't have to worry about X many serversand run VMware in virtualbox or the vmware 2012 beta

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 10, 2012

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
This is probably the laziest thing I'll ever post but does anyone have a decent "business case" they've used that successfully laid out the pricing for machines, storage, cabling, 10G infrastructure, the full works.

I want to put together a proper plan with costs to try and shame management into doing the right thing in our three datacenters. I'm aiming for about 100 vm's per DC (50/50 between 2 and 4G of ram) , 10TB of storage, all aimed at being able to build up a fully comprehensive testing tier (that we completely lack).

What I don't want to do is open word and reinvent the wheel as I'm trying to squeeze this in between 50 other emergencies.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Maggot Monster posted:

This is probably the laziest thing I'll ever post but does anyone have a decent "business case" they've used that successfully laid out the pricing for machines, storage, cabling, 10G infrastructure, the full works.emergencies.

VMware's ROI Calculator is probably a good place to start.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Misogynist posted:

In my home lab, I once accidentally Storage vMotioned a thin-provisioned OpenSolaris VM into an iSCSI volume exported by itself. Don't do that.

This is like the third time I've used the :stare: emote today.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Misogynist posted:

I forgot to ask, what happened? I can only assume the world exploded. Or as soon at the Storage vMotion finished, everything poo poo the bed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

that SVM can never finish. The delta can never be reduced.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Misogynist posted:

I think this is one of my most favorite stories ever.

E:

evil_bunnY posted:

that SVM can never finish. The delta can never be reduced.

I'm guessing the iSCSI volume was made on RDMs, and the part he Storage vMotioned was the vmdk holding the root partition/pool.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 11, 2012

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
He's lucky he didn't blow the entire universe away.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I think Misogynist created a Klein VM.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm guessing the iSCSI volume was made on RDMs, and the part he Storage vMotioned was the vmdk holding the root partition/pool.
This one. I was able to pretty trivially get the disk back by booting from a LiveCD, though :)

Timdogg
Oct 4, 2003

The internet? Is that thing still around?

FISHMANPET posted:

We'll most likely be getting a Compellent SAN with an SSD tier, so that's taken care of (I assume that's what you mean by SSD caching?).

I am also in the education arena ...wondering what kind of pricing you are getting for this Compellent hardware. Not looking for an exact quote, but I have no concept how much Compellent costs for education now that Dell bought them...so a round figure would really help me out.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Timdogg posted:

I am also in the education arena ...wondering what kind of pricing you are getting for this Compellent hardware. Not looking for an exact quote, but I have no concept how much Compellent costs for education now that Dell bought them...so a round figure would really help me out.

You should ask them to pay you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Timdogg posted:

Pricing is typically considered to be vendor-confidential privileged information, and it's rather damaging for vendor relations to share it. If you have a budget figure, call them up, and see if they have anything that fits your range.