Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Suddenly I got the video green screen of death on all my flash video players last night. Earlier I had turned on "directx wallpaper mode" in VLC but then turned it off and restarted my computer and the green screen problem was still there.

I'm worried that it's a hardware issue :ohdear: I just got this laptop too. I searched these forums and this is the only thread that seems to talk about it. So is it a chrome issue? I'll try to check it out tonight (hopefully it'll go away after a whole day of the computer being off but that further perpetuates the hardware hypothesis :ohdear:)

I'm just trying to hold out hope that it's software, and that maybe it's chromes fault? Disabling hardware acceleration works of course but I am more considered with the fact that my nvidia 460m video card in my asus g53 laptop is bad, and that thing isn't easy (or possible?) to replace.

Physical fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I had a quick look on google but was unable to find a solution to my problem.

I downloaded chrome yesterday and it is awesome, except that any imgur thumbnails are unclickable, the only way to view them full screen is to right click and open in new tab.

Am i being dense?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

warcake posted:

I had a quick look on google but was unable to find a solution to my problem.

I downloaded chrome yesterday and it is awesome, except that any imgur thumbnails are unclickable, the only way to view them full screen is to right click and open in new tab.

Am i being dense?

Install SA Fancy Forums, should be in the OP

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

kri kri posted:

Thanks, that'll teach me for not reading the OP.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

kri kri posted:

Fancy Forums is neat but overkill if you just need to fix TIMGs. Use this if that's all you need.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
How can I fix terrible font rendering in Chrome? I can't believe IE is actually good at this while other modern browsers aren't

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Chrome doesn't use DirectWrite on Windows 7, which has improved font smoothing. The problem is DirectWrite doesn't work well with the sandboxing Chrome uses. There's a bug that's tracking the problem.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
So the beta just rolled out official tab syncing. I've had the "sync tabs" turned on for a while now in chrome://flags though. Should I turn it off now that it is "baked in"?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Does chrome still have stuff that reports what I'm doing to google and other creepy poo poo like that?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Roumba posted:

Does chrome still have stuff that reports what I'm doing to google and other creepy poo poo like that?
Yes, everything does, it's opt-in though. There's nothing creepy about it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, chrome doesn't have native support for RSS feeds? How did they miss that one?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Wait, chrome doesn't have native support for RSS feeds? How did they miss that one?

They expect you to use Google Reader.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "native support for RSS feeds". Like do you want to push a feed to your favorite RSS reader or do you want to read a feed within Chrome? I use Google's RSS Subscription Extension to subscribe to a feed in Google Reader

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I do use Google reader, I should have clarified: chrome doesn't have native subscription options. Firefox detects RSS feeds and asks me if I want to add it to Google reader, chrome just opens the xml file.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I do use Google reader, I should have clarified: chrome doesn't have native subscription options. Firefox detects RSS feeds and asks me if I want to add it to Google reader, chrome just opens the xml file.

The post above yours contains the solution to this.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

nexus6 posted:

Yeah, it's maybe the weirdest omission in a Google product I can think of. They have the most popular RSS reader in the world, you'd think they would have built in RSS support. But hey, it's not like Google's ever been working as a unified force.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Just wanted to list some of my favorite extensions, hope you guys don't mind.

Clearly - Evernote's page-formatting tool, kinda like Readability but better in my opinion

Footnotify - On pages with footnotes, you can click the little superscript-number and the footnote will darken the webpage and overlay the footnote right there, instead of making you jump to the bottom of the page. Like so:

Image Properties Context Menu - Adds the ability to right-click an image and see its properties. Not sure why this isn't a built-in feature to begin with, really.

Google Dictionary - Double-click a word on a website and see its definition. Hold CTRL while selecting a set of words and it will attempt to locate a definition for that set.

Main reason I read these Chrome threads is for extension suggestions, so hopefully you guys could list your favorites too? Preferably the ones that might not be as well-known around here like Adblock is.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

gariig posted:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "native support for RSS feeds". Like do you want to push a feed to your favorite RSS reader or do you want to read a feed within Chrome? I use Google's RSS Subscription Extension to subscribe to a feed in Google Reader

After getting cozy with the everything-in-the-browser solution of Mozilla's Live Bookmark feature, I've never been comfortable with Google Reader. There is a RSS Feed Reader extension which gives you a Live Bookmark-style drop-down list on the bar, but on some feeds the reader just flaky enough about updating to make me a little twitchy. It's good as gold with the sites it cooperates with, though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

bazaar apparatus posted:

Main reason I read these Chrome threads is for extension suggestions, so hopefully you guys could list your favorites too? Preferably the ones that might not be as well-known around here like Adblock is.

Chat for Google Chrome -- use Google Chat through Chrome.

FastestTube -- a YouTube video downloader.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I feel like the odd man out.

All I have installed is my 1Password extension :o

I don't mind ads, I don't like tracking cookies, so I have an exception list in the in-built tools. Basically Chrome does what I need almost completely out-of-the-box. Especially since I don't have to install the horrible waste of resources that is Firebug.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My extensions not counting the ones everyone has like Adblock Plus. If you want them, Google them.

Add to Amazon Wish List
Adds stuff from any web store to your Amazon Wish lists, so you can keep track of everything you want in one place.

Clearly
Great extension that clears up articles and other web content and makes it easier to read.

Before Clearly:

After Clearly:

Disconnect
Stops tracking and stuff.

Evernote Web Clipper
Save poo poo from all over the place into Evernote.

Google Chrome to Phone Extension
Send web pages, text, maps, etc from Chrome to my phone.

Google Images direct links
Rewrites GIS searches so that they link straight to the image.

Google+ Notifications
Figure it out yourself, dipshit.

Hover Zoom
Hover mouse over thumbnail and it displays full-size image.

Https Everywhere
Forces hundreds of websites that support HTTPS connections to actually use them.

imgur
Right-click image > Rehost on imgur

LastPass
The best password tool. Autofills and syncs passwords in the cloud.

Page One
Forces multipage articles to just show the single-page version.

Personal Blocklist
Block websites from showing up in Google search results.

PriceBlink
Look at an item at a web retailer. PriceBlink automatically shows lower prices at other retailers.

Reader Plus
Make Google Reader better.

SA Forums Webkit Fix
Fixes SA forums poo poo.

Search by Image (by Google)
Right-click image > Do a Google Image Search with it.

Session Manager
Save sets of tabs and restore them.

TinEye Reverse Image Search
Right-click image > Do a TinEye reverse image search with it.

Undirect
Removes redirection tracking on Google search results.

YousableTubeFix
Download YT videos. Automatically set YT videos to whatever resolution you specify. OTher YT stuff.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Montalvo posted:

FastestTube -- a YouTube video downloader.

Thermopyle posted:

Page One
Forces multipage articles to just show the single-page version.

Forgot about these, both are great. Page One is especially good.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'll list out what I use.

Adblock Plus (Beta) yes, I have SA unblocked
No ads anywhere is always good. As far as I'm aware it's on par with the Firefox version - anyway, as long as I don't get ads shoved in my face I'm happy.

Add to Amazon Wish List
I already buy loving everything through Amazon; I've got a few wishlists set up to track things I'd like, though (useful for emailing around come Christmas).

Aside
This plugs in to Read It Later. I use it for grabbing news articles I'm interested in but don't want to read right now; the corresponding RIL Android app also caches everything on the list in the background, for bed/transport reading.

Bookmark Sentry
I don't have a vast amount of bookmarks, but it's nice to be alerted when one of them 404's.

Clearly
Removes crap from webpages, makes reading them a lot easier.

Collusion
Keeps track of where tracking information is being sent, in real time. Used more for curiosity's sake than anything else.

Evernote Web Clipper
I'll be honest; if something on SA makes me laugh, I highlight it and clip it to Evernote. Sort of like my own goons.txt :ohdear:

Facebook Disconnect and Twitter Disconnect
I use Facebook and Twitter, but I don't like them following me around the Web.

HTTPS Everywhere
Self-explanatory.

Keep My Opt-Outs
Again, less ad personalisation through tracking cookies.

Lite Weather
Icon with weather display, simple.

RSS Subscription Extension
Add to Google Reader, basically.

Search by Image
Right-click on image ==> Search by Google ==> reverse image search. I use this a lot in wallpaper threads, or when someone takes a perfectly good image and slaps text on it.

SALR
If you don't use this, you are a Bad Person.

Web of Trust
Supposedly alerts you when you end up on the Internet's crappier end; like an antivirus program, I've no idea how to gauge its effectiveness, but it's harmless enough to leave there anyway.

Any suggestions for browser start screens? At the moment I'm using Google Reader as a homepage, and wiki-walking onward from my subscribed feeds, and I have a lot of these. What are you guys using?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A couple of shopping extensions:

Invisible Hand - Pops a bar whenever you view a product that will compare prices on most major e-tailers. Handy instant comparison shopping.

RetailMeNot - Notifies you when available discount codes are available on a given website.

Some other random ones I haven't seen yet posted:

Super Full Feeds for Google Reader - Adds Readability tabs to Google Reader along with some additional options.

Better History - A way better interface for your History screen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

Alright, I'll list out what I use.

Aside
This plugs in to Read It Later. I use it for grabbing news articles I'm interested in but don't want to read right now; the corresponding RIL Android app also caches everything on the list in the background, for bed/transport reading.

Clearly
Removes crap from webpages, makes reading them a lot easier.

Evernote Web Clipper
I'll be honest; if something on SA makes me laugh, I highlight it and clip it to Evernote. Sort of like my own goons.txt :ohdear:

You could just stop using Read It Later. I did because of this:

Clearly > Send to Evernote > Done.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Some of my highlights.

Xmarks - Bookmark syncing. Can access them by logging on to their website.

Daily Links - Loads websites depending on the day of the week. Useful for keeping up with webcomics, or other sites that update regularly.

RSS Live Links - Not sure how it compares to RSS Subscription Extension, but it works for me.

Sexy Undo Close Tab - Useful for searching for that tab you closed a couple dozen tabs ago. It enables annoying ads at the bottoms of pages, but you can easily disable them.

something original
Sep 9, 2011
Tabs to the front - Makes Chrome immediately switch to the new tab. Useful when middle-clicking links, if that's how you browse.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
Here are some I use.

Speed Dial 2 - A real improvement to the curent Chrome new-tab screen

Thin Scroll Bar - A Anorexic version of the scroll bar, making it good looking but still usable.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Are there any remote control add-ons in Chrome that don't require you to go through an external server? I'd love to VNC into a computer through Chrome instead of taking the time to open up TightVNC on my desktop.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I have a weird issue with youtube. Whenever I navigate from one video to another, youtube resets from the large video player to the small one. Not only that, but the small player retains the grey borders from the larger player, like so:

I figured it was a problem with cookies, but I cleared those and cache and it persisted. It works fine in incognito mode and firefox, so its not my account.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

If it works in incognito mode (which disables extensions by default), try disabling all your extensions and see if that fixes it. If it does, re-enable them one by one until you figure out which one is causing the problem.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I'm having a weird issue with Chrome (18.0.1025.162 m)on my work machine that I can't replicate elsewhere.

I keep four pinned tabs for Google Services (Mail, Reader, Calendar, Plus). It will constantly log me out of the other three, so like if I log into Reader first, read some articles, then go to Calendar to add an appt., it will log me out of Reader. If I log back into Reader, it'll dump me out of Calendar. Etc. I can basically only be logged into one Google service at a time, which is NOT how it used to be and is NOT how I want to use it.

Even though I use full Chrome syncing across my installs, my home computer exhibits no such issue. I have no idea how to fix this. Anybody come across anything like this?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there an extension that will allow you to highlight text and it will tell you what font that text is in?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

bazaar apparatus posted:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is there an extension that will allow you to highlight text and it will tell you what font that text is in?

You can always right click -> Inspect Element, and then look in the "Styles" section on the sidebar for a font or font-family rule, like this:
http://cl.ly/190a1Q0k053B1J1m0B1z

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've installed the Speed Dial 2 extension but it's not creating thumbnails for any of the dials. The official site mentions nothing about this. Any one else experienced a similar issue?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is the cr-48 thread dead? I can't find it.

The new Version 20.0.1105.0 dev build of chrome os is crazy. There is a desktop now, you don't have to run things full screen, bluetooth has been enabled. . . ahhhh!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Once Chrome is out of beta on Android what is ChromeOS going to offer? I really can't think of anything you would be able to do on ChromeOS that you can't do on Android, and there's quite a few things you can do on Android you can't do on ChromeOS.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Yaos posted:

Once Chrome is out of beta on Android what is ChromeOS going to offer? I really can't think of anything you would be able to do on ChromeOS that you can't do on Android, and there's quite a few things you can do on Android you can't do on ChromeOS.

I have no idea. The wikipedia bit about it is pretty lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChromeOS#Relationship_to_Android

I am sure you can plug a keyboard/mouse into an android system, but maybe the experience isn't so great? I really don't know much about it.

I would know more if google sent me a free android tablet, like they did with the cr-48 :p

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Is there a fast way to save images? I'm thinking like double click an image or a link to an image and it saves it to a predefined folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am sure you can plug a keyboard/mouse into an android system, but maybe the experience isn't so great? I really don't know much about it.

Using a mouse/keyboard on Android is actually pretty great. I like ChromeOS but Android is definitely superior at the moment.