Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Chicken McNobody posted:

Argh, these boobs. Do they ever stop leaking? I'm at almost 12 weeks postpartum and I still soak nursing pads and wake up sopping wet at night.

You and me both sister. It's annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Chicken McNobody posted:

Argh, these boobs. Do they ever stop leaking? I'm at almost 12 weeks postpartum and I still soak nursing pads and wake up sopping wet at night.

I know some people always leak, but it got much better for me pretty soon after the 3 month point. I only leak sometimes now, usually on the opposite boob when I'm nursing, and I don't bother with nursing pads.

While I'm on the subject of nursing, I have to say that of all the maternity clothes I bought, I love my nursing pajamas so much. Its great being able to nurse at night without having to fuss with pulling my shirt up or completely off.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Welp, I'm in the process of having a miscarriage at 9 weeks, so that's that I guess :(

I'm starting to feel like I'm too old to try again (I'm 36). I just felt like I always wanted to have two kids. Maybe I should just be happy with the (adorable/evil) one I have already...

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

slowfoot posted:

Welp, I'm in the process of having a miscarriage at 9 weeks, so that's that I guess :(

I can only imagine what you and your family must be going through. I am so sorry for your loss.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

slowfoot posted:

I'm starting to feel like I'm too old to try again (I'm 36). I just felt like I always wanted to have two kids. Maybe I should just be happy with the (adorable/evil) one I have already...

I'm so sorry :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

slowfoot posted:

I'm so sorry. :( I hope that you can heal from it, and that your next pregnancy is viable.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Actually, after spending all day going back and forth to the doctor, and an evening in the emergency room, they're now thinking it might be ectopic. Which would suck even more. However, no one seems to be able to see anything on my ultrasounds. Sad that I'm actually hoping it's a miscarriage.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Ugh, that's so hard. :( I hope they figure it out soon.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
I'm sorry to hear that slowfoot :(

Welp, I've had this kid for three months today and have managed to keep him alive and uninjured, if not always happy, so I guess we're graduating to the other thread! In celebration, here's Arthur gazing in amazement at the stars.

He also has a Danny DeVito face.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I got my 20 week ultrasound today and everything looks good! I'm glad nothing stuck out as unusual so I don't have to do any special tests.

New due date is August 23rd. I'm not looking forward to being pregnant in this Vegas heat.

I know I'm kind of biased but my husband and I think he's already adorable.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Had a couple of questions. My wife is finally over the flu (almost, just some intermittent coughing left), just in time for our cruise. The cruise we are going on (Carnival) had us have the OB/GYN sign a sheet saying she was healthy to go.

Aside from potential sea-sickness, is there anything else I should be concerned about when she's on the ship? She'll be 17-18 weeks by that time and I just want to have all our bases covered.

She typically doesn't get seasick, but with the baby I wouldn't be surprised if she started to.

Also, just a side now, the past couple of days after her flu, she gained a whopping 7 pounds. Her stomach is also rounding out and it's very obvious she's pregnant now (instead of just her bump) :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Bank posted:

Had a couple of questions. My wife is finally over the flu (almost, just some intermittent coughing left), just in time for our cruise. The cruise we are going on (Carnival) had us have the OB/GYN sign a sheet saying she was healthy to go.

Aside from potential sea-sickness, is there anything else I should be concerned about when she's on the ship? She'll be 17-18 weeks by that time and I just want to have all our bases covered.

She typically doesn't get seasick, but with the baby I wouldn't be surprised if she started to.

Also, just a side now, the past couple of days after her flu, she gained a whopping 7 pounds. Her stomach is also rounding out and it's very obvious she's pregnant now (instead of just her bump) :)

On a cruise that size I'd be wary of stomach viruses (namely norovirus). So, I guess make sure she drinks tons of water.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Gwendolynn Rebecca was born yesterday Apr 5th at 11:30 pm. She weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces and won't wake up even if shes hungry, she loves sleeping just like dad.

:)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Bank posted:

Aside from potential sea-sickness, is there anything else I should be concerned about when she's on the ship?

WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS. Viruses spread like crazy on ships. You don't have to do everything, or anything on the cruise. Relax as much as she wants, no scuba diving, and watch out for the fact that most of the drinks the people carry around on trays are alcoholic. Enjoy your trip! (if you tell the waiters in the dining room it's your honeymoon they'll sing and make fun of you, but you'll get a free dessert!)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I found out today that I failed the 1-hour gestational diabetes test pretty hard. Borderline results are apparently 130-140 and I was at 175. So now I get to go back and do the three hour test, but because I got my results today (a Friday), I can't go for the other test until Monday.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what happens if I fail the 3 hour test. Everything I see says basically "you have to meet with a nutritionist" and leaves it at that, but of course, that can't be all there is to it. I'm assuming that if I fail the second time that I'll be asked to start testing my blood sugar every day after meals and keep track of it for a while, and since I happen to have a glucose meter, I can start doing that now and get a bit of a head start on it, but I'm not sure if that's what they'll have me do or not. Am I on the right track, or am I just stabbing myself in the finger for no reason?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
They will want you to track your blood sugars. Usually they ask for fasting first thing in the morning, then 2 hours after meals. It can usually be controlled through diet, namely, smaller meals more frequently, and you are usually given parameters for each meal - how many grams of carbs, how many protein, etc.

Right off the bat, know you should avoid fast sugars such as juice or soda, as well as the obvious things like desserts, but extend that to any "white" carbs like white rice, white bread, white potatoes.

It can get worse as you get farther in your pregnancy so don't be surprised if you eat the same thing 5 days in a row and on the 5th day, it gives you high blood sugar. They may put you on medication if there's any problem keeping your sugars down, but for GD they try to hit it with diet first.

If you walk in with blood sugar readings and what you ate to produce those numbers they will be very happy, so stick away if you've got a monitor and strips. You might swing a new monitor and strips from the nutritionist or diabetes educator.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

hepscat posted:

They will want you to track your blood sugars. Usually they ask for fasting first thing in the morning, then 2 hours after meals. It can usually be controlled through diet, namely, smaller meals more frequently, and you are usually given parameters for each meal - how many grams of carbs, how many protein, etc.

Right off the bat, know you should avoid fast sugars such as juice or soda, as well as the obvious things like desserts, but extend that to any "white" carbs like white rice, white bread, white potatoes.

It can get worse as you get farther in your pregnancy so don't be surprised if you eat the same thing 5 days in a row and on the 5th day, it gives you high blood sugar. They may put you on medication if there's any problem keeping your sugars down, but for GD they try to hit it with diet first.

If you walk in with blood sugar readings and what you ate to produce those numbers they will be very happy, so stick away if you've got a monitor and strips. You might swing a new monitor and strips from the nutritionist or diabetes educator.

Thanks, I was already doing it wrong by testing at 1 hour after dinner tonight. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I end up failing the 3 hour test, but finding that my diet is already keeping things under control when I'm not doing something obviously stupid like not eating for 12 hours and then drinking a big bottle of sugar-water.

Unless something is going wrong in my life, my diet is pretty diabetes-friendly already, I think. I already keep an eye on sugars and simple carbs because years back my annual cholesterol tests were showing that my triglycerides were really high (high triglycerides are a major risk factor for hardening of the arteries, stroke, heart attack, etc), and I have a strong family history of people dying of heart attacks starting in their 40's with almost nobody making it past age 65. So I worked hard to decrease the random sugary stuff like soda, and switched most of my simple carbs for healthier carbs (brown rice, Barilla Plus pasta instead of regular, etc). And I noticed that I felt better and had more consistent energy levels from doing that, so it made it really easy to stick with it and not relapse.

Of course only consistent testing is going to tell me what foods are a problem and which aren't, but after thinking about it, about the worst thing I can find in my diet is that my greek yogurt has a lot of sugar in it, and maybe it's too much sugar for me to eat it as breakfast. But I think if greek yogurt is my biggest concern, I'm probably doing ok.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Mnemosyne posted:

Thanks, I was already doing it wrong by testing at 1 hour after dinner tonight.

Not necessarily wrong, depending on what your OB's requirements are. When I am not pregnant, I test two hours after meals. When I am pregnant, I test one hour after meals. My OB and edocrinologist in combination like to see lower numbers while pregnant and are slightly more lax when not.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

Thanks, I was already doing it wrong by testing at 1 hour after dinner tonight.

I was advised to test as soon as I got up in the morning, before breakfast, 1 hour after breakfast, before lunch, 1 hour after lunch, before dinner, 1 hour after dinner.

It sounds and is way too much but it will give your doctor a good picture of how your sugars behave. I was right on the border on my test, and in the end I ended up taking insuline.

Btw most of the time it goes away after birth, but for an unlucky few it doesn't. I am one of the unlucky few. I still come up marginal on tests and have to follow the same diet now ;).

It also increases your risk for getting diabetes in the long run quite drastically. No need to get all worked up though, the diet is fairly easy to follow. You should listen to Hepscat, she really knows what she is talking about and gives sound advice ;).

When I failed my test they called me at work on a friday, told me to avoid all sugary stuff at all costs and have a nice weekend! Please come in for the diabetes clinic on tuesday :D.

That reminds me I have to book my yearly bloodtests. Oh the joy.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

about the worst thing I can find in my diet is that my greek yogurt has a lot of sugar in it, and maybe it's too much sugar for me to eat it as breakfast. But I think if greek yogurt is my biggest concern, I'm probably doing ok.
If it helps cheer you up, my nutritionist was thrilled that I ate greek yogurt for breakfast because of the protein it has!

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009
I couldn't eat any yoghurts, it sent my levels sky high. Egg and bacon however... :p

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Lazaruise posted:

Gwendolynn Rebecca was born yesterday Apr 5th at 11:30 pm. She weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces and won't wake up even if shes hungry, she loves sleeping just like dad.

:)

This is not getting enough love. She's adorable! Congratulations!

I also just want to check in here and let everyone know I'm doing a lot better. I know my posts since I gave birth have been full of terror and woe. Ever since I gave up breast feeding, things have gotten leaps and bounds better. Max is no longer "colicky", I'm more relaxed and able to enjoy him and just all around, things have improved. I really did not realize just how much the breastfeeding was making things so awful for me, but it really is almost like night and day. I feel more normal and relaxed and that has definitely made a difference in Max and our relationship.

So please, I'm going to say this for those who may be struggling with breastfeeding - do not beat yourself up over it. While breastfeeding is recommended strongly by everyone, do not beat yourself up if you don't do it. Your emotional health is just as important, if not MORE important than keeping the baby on the breast. Take care of yourself FIRST because you are no good to your baby if all you're bringing to the relationship is stress and worry.

I am now a pretty happy mommy!

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Yes, you didn't do anything wrong 1 hour after, not at all - what kind of numbers are you seeing? Also, another thing to consider is this isn't a OMG drop everything and run to the doctor situation, you could eat whatever special meal you might have planned tomorrow and it won't be the end of the world. You can wait until you see your nutritionist/diabetes educator and that's fine. Although I'd avoid the Easter candy.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

hepscat posted:

Yes, you didn't do anything wrong 1 hour after, not at all - what kind of numbers are you seeing? Also, another thing to consider is this isn't a OMG drop everything and run to the doctor situation, you could eat whatever special meal you might have planned tomorrow and it won't be the end of the world. You can wait until you see your nutritionist/diabetes educator and that's fine. Although I'd avoid the Easter candy.

I did end up continuing to test 1 hour after meals and my numbers are anywhere from 96 to 146, but so far there's nothing surprising. I tried eating a few different "types" of meals to see what would happen, and my small, no-sugar, mostly carb-free meal gave me the low reading, while eating a chicken sausage on a sub roll with iced tea containing about 3 tsp of sugar gave me the 146. From what I can see, while that's not an outrageous number for a diabetic, it's probably way higher than what a non-diabetic should be getting for the small sin of a white bread roll and 3 tsp of sugar. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but based on that I'm pretty much expecting to fail the 3 hour test. But the low readings when I eat what I know are almost perfect meals tells me that I'm at a place where it's completely manageable with diet.

Haven't managed to get a fasting reading yet because I'm too much of a baby to stab myself, so I have my husband doing it, and he's still getting the hang of it (and thus failed to get enough blood out of me this past morning to test with.) That's another reason I want to test all weekend rather than waiting until they tell me to do it. This weekend I have my husband with me to stab me whenever I need to test, and he won't be home to do the dirty work for me during the work week.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
This is where you're going to need to go by what your doctor tells you, but to give you an idea, I was told to aim for a fasting of 90 in the morning and under 120 after meals. I'm a diabetic full-time, its possible the guidelines are different for gestational diabetics.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

hepscat posted:

This is where you're going to need to go by what your doctor tells you, but to give you an idea, I was told to aim for a fasting of 90 in the morning and under 120 after meals. I'm a diabetic full-time, its possible the guidelines are different for gestational diabetics.

I had GD and was told exactly the same numbers -- the post-meal value was for one hour after meals.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

Haven't managed to get a fasting reading yet because I'm too much of a baby to stab myself, so I have my husband doing it

You are better off just doing it yourself. What if your husband isn't around? I have a serious needle phobia and I still managed to prick my finger. The more you do it the easier it gets. Also what do you think will happen if you get stuck on insulin? Your numbers might not be so bad now, but things change rapidly in pregancy.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I went back to the lactation consultant and it turns out in addition to a bad latch, there was a yeast infection too. That was what was causing most of the pain. They gave me a prescription cream to put on after nursing and it has made a huge difference. I'm glad I went again as I was also about to jump ship from the breastfeeding boat. Two separate infections are no fun.

Also I had my six week follow up and since I had gestational diabetes they want to do another two hour glucose test to test me for regular diabetes. Anyone else have to do that post partum without any further symptoms?

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Gravitee posted:

Also I had my six week follow up and since I had gestational diabetes they want to do another two hour glucose test to test me for regular diabetes. Anyone else have to do that post partum without any further symptoms?

Yes. But then again I had no symptoms of diabetes when I was pregnant either ;). I just got a letter in the post with my results. They weren't good though. I had pretty much the same result as when I was pregnant. Which ment that I passed the normal diabetes test as the gestational diabetes tests are stricter. That was two years ago, since that I have been tested roughly once a year, just a bloodtest though.

And yeah I will eventually end up with regular diabetes. For some women unfortunately gestational diabetes is just the diabetes manifesting.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Jeebus creebus. I'm just 9 weeks into my second pregnancy and in the last couple of days I've developed really miserable lower back pain. It's right at that pelvis/sacrum joint. I know that it's not surprising to have symptoms like this earlier on in second/later pregnancies, but I really wasn't expecting this kind of back pain this early on.

I feel like such a wimp, but it's making it hard to walk more than very short distances. I'm not ready to be waddling and hobbling about at only 9 weeks! Have many of you had this in early pregnancy before? Did it clear up? Come and go in spells? Did you talk to your doc about it? Did anything help?

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Jeebus creebus. I'm just 9 weeks into my second pregnancy and in the last couple of days I've developed really miserable lower back pain. It's right at that pelvis/sacrum joint. I know that it's not surprising to have symptoms like this earlier on in second/later pregnancies, but I really wasn't expecting this kind of back pain this early on.

I feel like such a wimp, but it's making it hard to walk more than very short distances. I'm not ready to be waddling and hobbling about at only 9 weeks! Have many of you had this in early pregnancy before? Did it clear up? Come and go in spells? Did you talk to your doc about it? Did anything help?
I'm at week 9 myself, and I am developing the same sort of pain, along with something really cranky going on in my left hip joint. However, I rather expected my pelvis/sacrum to get out of whack, because I have arthritis and that is where it likes to attack most. I waddle around the house so badly right now, but at work I have to pretend to be OK. It is LAME, figuratively and somewhat literally.

Also, I am tired of being tired, I am tired of doctor's appointments, I am tired of being bloaty, and I really want to buy a pretty dress for my graduation next month but I know it won't even FIT if I buy it now.
On the other hand, playing "random baby name reading" is amusing each night :)
Edit: I am a caricature :/ Sent husband to the store to get some cheesecake for dessert the other night, the clerk asked him if he had a pregnant wife at home, and said "Well, if you were just dating, you'd have bought the cheesecake before 8:30 PM..."

Cathis fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 10, 2012

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Alright, so I'm 17 weeks and I've been sleeping on my left side since I found out I was pregnant at like 4 weeks. I've been able to sleep just fine, although I do find myself waking up on my back on occasion. Lately, however, I wake up many times during the night to find that my shoulder or hip are hurting and I struggle to fall back asleep. I've tried using a body pillow to snuggle or placing a pillow behind me to keep me from going on my back and even trying slightly different positions on my left, but none of this relieves the pain. I'm losing valuable sleep and I wake up sore. Any suggestions?

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

SassySally posted:

Alright, so I'm 17 weeks and I've been sleeping on my left side since I found out I was pregnant at like 4 weeks. I've been able to sleep just fine, although I do find myself waking up on my back on occasion. Lately, however, I wake up many times during the night to find that my shoulder or hip are hurting and I struggle to fall back asleep. I've tried using a body pillow to snuggle or placing a pillow behind me to keep me from going on my back and even trying slightly different positions on my left, but none of this relieves the pain. I'm losing valuable sleep and I wake up sore. Any suggestions?

It's really not a huge deal that you lie specifically on your left. It does provide the best blood flow, but it's not so much of a difference that you'll harm the baby by lying on your right.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I continued sleeping on my stomach for the first trimester and a large part of the second, until the belly actually got in the way. After that, sleeping on either side (with a preference for the left until pain strikes!) worked fine. You don't have to stay on your left permamently; I think I'd be crippled if I tried!

The only thing I've really avoided the whole way through is sleeping on my back. On the rare occasion I've woken on my back I've felt really, really awful, then having an ultrasound this week (laying on back!), I managed to faint. Apparently it makes my already low blood pressure go even lower!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Yeah I tend to sleep on my right now, because then I'm faced away from the bed. If I face inward my husband instinctively snuggles directly into my face and breathes in my face and it's weird.

Something cute happened last night. My husband and I have been debating baby names and have a short list that we both agree on: Elanor, Eowyn, Lilly, Leah, and Sophia. No matter how hard we try we just can't decide on a single one, and my husband claims he doesn't really "love" any of them. We just refer to the baby for now as "the baby" or "Zygotina". Well, last night he was asleep and I was struggling because the baby was kicking the hell out of me. I woke him up just a little and told him "Tell your daughter to stop hitting me!"

He touched my belly and said "Eowyn, stop kicking mummy." and went right back to sleep.

I think we have a name!

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
So Kennedy is almost three months old and she's smiling like crazy and it's about time to graduate to the other thread.

Next week I get the Paraguard IUD put in. What is everyone else choosing for after-baby birth control? Anybody had IUD experience? They told me to take a bunch of Ibuprofen before my appointment which was a bit intimidating - as if my vagina hasn't been through enough!

p.s. cute little baby mohawk! (and bonus milk chin)

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

That picture looks like a way cuter version of your avatar :v:

Not speaking from experience, as this is first baby for me, but I'm considering getting an Implanon (implant in arm) shortly after baby born, then having it removed whenever we decide it's time for baby number 2 (probably around 2 years). Apparently the fun side effects of the pill that I hated (bad skin, weight gain, and worst of all for me the increase in migraines) are less common with the implant.

The IUD seems too long term for me, and honestly the idea freaks me out a little bit. With the implant being 3 years at a time, that should be long term enough, and if I want longer (i.e. "no more kids!") I'll be sending the husband for a vasectomy!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Helanna posted:

The IUD seems too long term for me, and honestly the idea freaks me out a little bit. With the implant being 3 years at a time, that should be long term enough, and if I want longer (i.e. "no more kids!") I'll be sending the husband for a vasectomy!

You don't have to keep the IUD in the whole time.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I got a Mirena after my first and it took like 5 minutes and barely hurt at all. A year later I had it removed to have my next kid (conceived in about a month), and got another Mirena after that with the same experience as the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tomorrow is my first visit at my ob/gyn. I'm really nervous :ohdear:
I should be about 8 1/2 weeks along. I haven't had very severe symptoms so part of me feels like since I'm not suffering, maybe I'm not really pregnant/something's wrong.