Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I willllll. This weekend, I'm going to be in Herndon to visit to my brother, his wife, their kids, etc with Puppy. However! After that, we can likely set something up, and I can swing on down. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
gently caress this profession. Evidently, my name is not 'Murican enough for the legal profession. So he wants me to think about changing my name.

God I hate this job.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^ :mad: That sucks.

dino. posted:

I willllll. This weekend, I'm going to be in Herndon to visit to my brother, his wife, their kids, etc with Puppy. However! After that, we can likely set something up, and I can swing on down. :3
Didn't know you had family in Herndon. I used to live there!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

bunnielab posted:

So today is day 1 of a 161 day gig. So far I haven't even seen a BBQ place. Charlotte is really letting me down.

I also need new luggage, my current big rear end suitcase got all hosed up and may not last many more trips. I need something that will hold a two weeks of clothing, a laptop, boots, and a small pile of tools. I will not be flying that often but I would rather have something that will last a few years.

Rimowa is the best, but likely overkill for you if you do not fly much and want it to last a few years. My dad flies four to six times per month on average per year, and has for the past decade, and has had his Rimowa suitcase for 9 years. It looks new. If that's too pricey, go for something like the recommended Travelpro in a soft case. You can always get a hard shell thing to put easily damaged goods inside to put in the main case. Cheap hard shells are a waste of money.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All my luggage is Briggs & Riley, and it's awesome. They also have a crazy warranty which even covers you if the airline damages it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bunnielab posted:

So today is day 1 of a 161 day gig. So far I haven't even seen a BBQ place. Charlotte is really letting me down.

I also need new luggage, my current big rear end suitcase got all hosed up and may not last many more trips. I need something that will hold a two weeks of clothing, a laptop, boots, and a small pile of tools. I will not be flying that often but I would rather have something that will last a few years.

Just get a Pelican Case.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

i shoot friendlies posted:

Does anyone know what happened to Worldmaker? I am going to be near Cleveland soon, (I think) and want to hit his restaurant. Does anyone know where it is?

He had to close the restaurant, last I remember he was planning on turning it into a candy shop or ice cream store or something like that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just get a Pelican Case.

My fear with that is that usually "pelican case = valuables inside" and that it is more likely to be stolen. Also they weigh a ton and I need every pound I can get to stay under 50lbs.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Fun video of a dude working in a bakery.

Nothing crazy or shocking, just commercial bread making set to a tune, baked by a guy who likes his job.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

All my luggage is Briggs & Riley, and it's awesome. They also have a crazy warranty which even covers you if the airline damages it.
I saw this stuff recently for the first time, and it did indeed look awesome.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Randomity posted:

He had to close the restaurant, last I remember he was planning on turning it into a candy shop or ice cream store or something like that.

That is a real bummer. I had a restaurant I had to close once. It was the worst feeling.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Uuuugh 9 hours spent on an impact analysis. Not even a quarter done. I need hard alcohol.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Uuuugh 9 hours spent on an impact analysis. Not even a quarter done. I need hard alcohol.
Work it out with a pencil. Or just use an enema.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

i shoot friendlies posted:

That is a real bummer. I had a restaurant I had to close once. It was the worst feeling.

http://rosanderberea.com/
Looks like it hasn't been updated in a few months ...

Lots of other good foods in Cleveland.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

Certainly. I'd love to have you and VM come over or meet you bums somewhere downtown, so that I don't have to go rushing out at 1 PM. I wake up at 7 am every day anyway, so Wednesday breakfunch would definitely work. I can make chickpea dosas, and coconut chatni, and a bit of a vegetable something or other. If you want to solidify details, just shoot me an email at altveg@me.com and I'll give you two my mobile phone number, so we can move it to text messages. :)

Email sent. Feel free to give my number to VM as well. How long does it take to get to your place? Downtown would prolly be easier just so I don't have to worry about getting a taxi back to LGA.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

bunnielab posted:

What are you doing in Charlotte?

As for BBQ hit up Bar-B-Q King, it's some good rear end food.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

KWC posted:

http://rosanderberea.com/
Looks like it hasn't been updated in a few months ...

Lots of other good foods in Cleveland.

Some GoonWithaSpoon , possibly Worldmaker, tipped me off to West Side Market a couple years ago when I was going through Cleveland.
It's not a restaurant, but an awesome old gigantic building (old train station?) full of good foods. Worth a stop. edit: I guess it was always a market building, built over an open-air market.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 10, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Got to have Korean food with MP. It was all I'd hoped it'd be. :swoon:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Magnificent! What were some of the things you ate?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steakandchips posted:

Magnificent! What were some of the things you ate?
I ate more mandoo than is decent (fried, not steamed), and MP got the chap jae (sp?). And they brought out a hojillion little plates of delicious things. Like those bean sprout thingies, and the radish kimchi, and the cabbage kimchi, and some kind of mixed chickpea and kidney bean thingy, and then they brought us this sweet rice water dessert thigny with lots of delicious cinnamon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bunnielab posted:

We always fly with hand tools in a Pelican case.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

Got to have Korean food with MP. It was all I'd hoped it'd be. :swoon:
Vegan Korean food is awesome. I actually prefer vegan kim chi to the kind with the fish sauce and bits of marine life in it. Did you get to try the fried tofu thing? There's a dish that's basically pan-fried tofu that's then braised with soy sauce, scallions, garlic, and enough chilies to kill an elephant. It's wonderful.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
http://maine.craigslist.org/fbh/2953014688.html

Portland, ME cl ad posted:

New restaurant opening in Portland now hiring cooks and foragers. Great opportunity for you to work side by side with an up and coming chef who worked for a week at Noma, the award winning restaurant.
Absolutely no resumes accepted from cooks and chefs with experience in any Portland restaurant whatsoever. Zero. If you have worked in Portland, don't bother. We want great cooks with great experience. Something new and fresh!!! Single menu, all items foraged and caught and killed by our staff, right down to the salt and pepper.

There won't be a waitstaff, the cooks will serve the food too. This is an innovative idea we had and are looking forward to implementing it and creating a template for other inexperienced chefs in Portland to follow. All chefs and restaurant owners are welcome to watch and learn from us. All the boats rise with the tide we will create for this sleepy town.

It seems kind of like some guys that were kind of stoned had a pretty good idea but then got way more stoned and were sort of dumb to begin with.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am here to work on a large event taking place here this fall.

I did have some good BBQ at Mac's the other night but my new complaint is the lack of draft dark beers down here. I may have to learn to like IPAs.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Very Strange Things posted:

http://maine.craigslist.org/fbh/2953014688.html

It seems kind of like some guys that were kind of stoned had a pretty good idea but then got way more stoned and were sort of dumb to begin with.

But, a whole week at Noma! Until his visa expired and they told him to gently caress off!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
A few days ago I spilt a pan of boiling water, just off the hob, onto my bare foot and now have some pretty bitching first degree burn blisters on my big toe.

Out of curiosity, what's your worst kitchen related injury?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Experto Crede posted:

A few days ago I spilt a pan of boiling water, just off the hob, onto my bare foot and now have some pretty bitching first degree burn blisters on my big toe.

Out of curiosity, what's your worst kitchen related injury?

Not that I'm not interested in your, or anyone else's, injury, but we have a thread for that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pnumoman posted:

Not that I'm not interested in your, or anyone else's, injury, but we have a thread for that.
Thank you. Thank you very much indeed.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I love that one of my employers is based in Chinatown almost as much as I love the bottle of sparkling wine I will take on the commuter train to see my folks. Happy weekend!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
someone pointed out in coupons that quart sized mason jars fit the threads of the base/blade of oyster blenders perfectly. maybe other blenders too.

my mind is still in the process of being blown. I can just reach in to my drinking glass cabinet (where probably 1/2 my glasses are mason jars anyways), grab a quart, shove some ingredients into the jar, slap it on the mixer blades/blender, go to town, and have 20 seconds of clean up. awesome.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I feel that there should be a disclaimer there about using hot liquids. It seems like asking for an explosion.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Psychobabble posted:

I feel that there should be a disclaimer there about using hot liquids. It seems like asking for an explosion.

If no one learned from experience, there would be no teachers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Psychobabble posted:

Those jars are mean't to be canned with, I don't see the problem. Unless some one threw a hot jar of blended soup into an ice bath or something.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
PS if you don't read the labels on every bit of your canning apparatus, you deserve all the face-deforming injuries you'll get.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Flash Gordon Ramsay, your PM inbox is full FYI. I can't reply :(.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So...do any of you native New Englanders have a whoopie pie recipe you'd like to share? My wife has decided to make some, and I'd rather go with a trusted recipe than a random internet recipe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 13, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

So...do any of you native New Englanders have a whoopie pie recipe you'd like to share? My wife has decided to make some, and I'd rather go with a trusted recipe than a random internet recipe.

I'll give your wife a whoopie pie alright.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

I've never made one, but I can tell you which recipes to look for:
The one's that call for lard.

I know a couple people that make great whoopie, but they are never online so I can't say when I'd get a recipe.

"Making whoopie with lard. A Maine tradition."

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 13, 2012

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Went grocery shopping last night for dinner and they had ramps. They were packaged into 1lb bunches and the price was 15.99/lb. I compulsively picked one up anyways because you know, ramps.

Checked out and was surprised that the bill was less than I expected. Reviewed receipt, got charged $1.47 for a lb of spring onions instead. :smug:

No, I don't feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Nor should you. gently caress yuppies get money.