Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Bubba Smith posted:

5) I believe Lesnar had his heart into his training, just not his heart into fighting. After the past two years with all of his medical problems, he likely decided that he doesn't need to risk it when he has a family to take care of. As of now he can earn about the same amount of money doing WWE that he did doing MMA, except he doesn't have to push himself nearly as hard.
I'm not a WWE guy, but isn't pro-wrestling incredibly difficult and hard on the body? I'm not sure Brock will push himself less there, I guess unless he doesn't really have to train or go on the road, he just appears at big events, collects a big paycheck and leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
As I understand it he's just doing a couple appearances a month, so overall it'd be easier on his body than MMA.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

vs.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

Grifter posted:

I'm not a WWE guy, but isn't pro-wrestling incredibly difficult and hard on the body? I'm not sure Brock will push himself less there, I guess unless he doesn't really have to train or go on the road, he just appears at big events, collects a big paycheck and leaves.

uh, if fake fighting was more difficult on the body than real fighting, then there would be no point to fake fighting

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elemennop posted:

uh, if fake fighting was more difficult on the body than real fighting, then there would be no point to fake fighting

How about this: $$$$$$$

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

kimbo305 posted:

How about this: $$$$$$$

i mean, you could still stage the fights, but fundamentally getting punched in the face, being kicked in the liver, or having your arm snapped hurts a lot more than pretending to do those things; otherwise, there would be no point to pretending to be hurt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Elemennop posted:

but fundamentally getting punched in the face, being kicked in the liver, or having your arm snapped hurts a lot more than pretending to do those things; otherwise, there would be no point to pretending to be hurt.

I guess if that's all prowrestlers did, or if they had the same sparse schedule.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I guess if that's all prowrestlers did, or if they had the same sparse schedule.

well what way do you want to measure it? because i'm pretty sure fighters have a higher year round injury rate than prowrestlers, but i don't follow prowrestling. so i very well may be ignorant.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Elemennop posted:

but i don't follow prowrestling

Then don't talk about it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When I think of prowrestling being hard on you, I think of this stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLZhWLSjUuI

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Elemennop posted:

well what way do you want to measure it? because i'm pretty sure fighters have a higher year round injury rate than prowrestlers, but i don't follow prowrestling. so i very well may be ignorant.

Pro wrestlers have a really aggressive travel schedule and while I don't know exact figures I'd assume that a guy in WWE is getting injured just as often as a guy fighting 4 times a year in the UFC. Maybe moreso because there's no governing bodies in wrestling handing out suspensions for injuries.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

1st AD posted:

Pro wrestlers have a really aggressive travel schedule and while I don't know exact figures I'd assume that a guy in WWE is getting injured just as often as a guy fighting 4 times a year in the UFC. Maybe moreso because there's no governing bodies in wrestling handing out suspensions for injuries.

It seems not a lot of wrestlers talk about it, but Chris Jericho's book I got for the PSP secret santa mentioned a little bit about how rough the schedule could be. You'd be travelling from city to city in a matter of days, have to work out in between, plan matches then actually do them, sometimes taking rough bumps on the way.

For the headline dudes who're always on it wouldn't be all that easy. I'm not saying harder or easier than fighting, just different but in no way a cakewalk.

That said, Lesnar is probably going to be doing short spots and short matches most of the time until ppvs. I can't imagine him having an insane workload.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

henkman posted:

Then don't talk about it

actually everyone should talk about pro wrestling all of the imte

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Elemennop posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOa7uxWeBNY that man is a pro wrestler and he's dead, you dick

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I have no idea how wrestling is more popular than MMA.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hours of weekly free shows + PPV events are not nearly as essential as UFC PPV's are.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

heeebrew posted:

I have no idea how wrestling is more popular than MMA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yc9FXJT8HE

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

PPV events are not nearly as essential as UFC PPV's are.

They used to be back in the day. Maybe I'm looking at it through rose-colored glasses but I remember every PPV being a big deal during the attitude era.

The bigger point is wrestling has been around for a long time. MMA has at least another decade to go before it catches up to where WWE is now, possibly more when you consider that few people followed MMA in the 90s.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I asked this in the UFC thread but it got over looked.

Not that I in any way shape for form would ever, but if I was say a UFC fighter, how would I use steroids, as in how do they know what dosage, how do they take it and how often?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's a thread in Ask/Tell all about it right now. From looking it over myself, it seems that there's not a ton of official research and just a lot of guys doing the same things and getting approximately similar results.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467354

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business

1: Serve the public trust

2: Protect the innocent

3: Uphold the law

4: Protect sting

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Watching the UFC event from Sweden on FuelTV now...are all the UFC Silvas related, like the WWE branch of Samoans?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
No, silva is a very common brazillian last name

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

JPrime posted:

Watching the UFC event from Sweden on FuelTV now...are all the UFC Silvas related, like the WWE branch of Samoans?

silva is the smith of brazil.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Quodio Stotes posted:

silva is the smith of brazil.

That's unfair because Smith isn't relatively that common in the US, a country with a huge diversity of surnames. Silva is way way more common than Smith is.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

kimbo305 posted:

That's unfair because Smith isn't relatively that common in the US, a country with a huge diversity of surnames. Silva is way way more common than Smith is.

Silva is to Brazil as Kim is to Korea. Better?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Perhaps this was already asked, but gently caress it.

I know the deal a *little bit*, but can anybody explain why Gilbert Melendez is stuck in Strikeforce? What I know is that Zuffa started signing away Strikeforce talent to come to the UFC, and because of this, when Zuffa acquired Strikeforce, there was an agreement that Strikeforce fighters would remain there, and that's why GM is stuck there.

Am I right or is my head up my rear end?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Ty1990 posted:

Perhaps this was already asked, but gently caress it.

I know the deal a *little bit*, but can anybody explain why Gilbert Melendez is stuck in Strikeforce? What I know is that Zuffa started signing away Strikeforce talent to come to the UFC, and because of this, when Zuffa acquired Strikeforce, there was an agreement that Strikeforce fighters would remain there, and that's why GM is stuck there.

Am I right or is my head up my rear end?

As far as I know this is basically the truth. When the UFC bought strikeforce it promised to keep their hands off strikeforce affairs. This of course lasted about 5 minutes before the UFC started picking off the bigger name strikeforce fighters. I'm not sure exactly why the UFC hasn't picked up Gilbert yet, but it might have something to do with the lightweight division in the UFC being the least in need of high level talent.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
They immediately brought over Nick Diaz because GSP needed an opponent. They brought over Overeem and the heavyweights because the HW division always needs guys. LW is stacked at the moment, there's no shortage of contenders, and they dont want to bring him over just for the sake of bringing him over.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

They immediately brought over Nick Diaz because GSP needed an opponent. They brought over Overeem and the heavyweights because the HW division always needs guys. LW is stacked at the moment, there's no shortage of contenders, and they dont want to bring him over just for the sake of bringing him over.

Bringing him over now can only end badly.

There's still the rematch they want to do, there's the Diaz or Miller eliminator for the next shot.

I'm guessing but that's probably the calender year spoken for, for the LW title, if they bring Melendez across now they could potentially lose the ability to promote unifying the strikeforce and UFC belts, should Melendez get de-throned by someone like Maynard or Guida or Guillard.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Does Freddie Roach suffer from some form of dementia? I apologize if this is an offensive question but something seems off about his speech/head movements.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

heeebrew posted:

Does Freddie Roach suffer from some form of dementia? I apologize if this is an offensive question but something seems off about his speech/head movements.
He has parkinson's.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
When was the last time a UFC title was won by submission?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Forceholy posted:

When was the last time a UFC title was won by submission?

If you mean the last time a title was won by someone who didn't already have it, I think it'd be Nog vs Sylvia for the interim title. If you include successful defenses, that'd be Jones/Machida.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yup, with bj choking out joe daddy a few weeks before

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

heeebrew posted:

If you're the least bit curious about the man, HBO's On Freddie Roach is pretty good. Not a lot of new ground for people familiar with him, but for someone completely new, it's comprehensive.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

How big of an upset was nick diaz over gomi considered?

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Ty1990 posted:

How big of an upset was nick diaz over gomi considered?

Diaz was around +300 (25% to win)

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

Diaz was around +300 (25% to win)

Thanks. Would have looked myself but the archives at bestfightodds didn't go back that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Ty1990 posted:

Thanks. Would have looked myself but the archives at bestfightodds didn't go back that far.

i knew that one off hand (because i won money off it :bubblewoop:) but tapology has a pretty decent history of fight odds