Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Tomberforce posted:

Say, for example you have a sinkhole 80 metres deep. At the bottom of the sinkhole there are caves extending off horizontally. Is the water pressure exerted on the diver in these caves inclusive of the pressure depth of the sinkhole, or is it limited by the enclosed nature of the caves?
Water pressure is water pressure. Water does not compress (much). Think of how hydraulics work. If you branch off of a sinkhole into a cave, the pressure stays the same as if you were in open water. The water above you is exerting the same amount of pressure even if you have branched off from the main artery.

While we are on cave videos. I love this one. This cave is on my bucket list.
http://vimeo.com/37042655

Bishop fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Yall a bunch of snorkel haterz. Of course as a freediver I love snorkels, I have a nice collection going. But they are all just simple J's because those are the best and purges and floats and ballvalves and whatever suck and are gimmicks. Although, purges are great if you like drinking seawater.

My favorite for diving in big seas is the cressi california. And the best foldup is a rolled up cressi corsica.

Speaking of caves have you guys ever read Sheck Exley's Caverns measureless to man? I did and holy poo poo is it an awesome/crazy book.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 4, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
Some new pics

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
So I'm finally getting contacts in a few weeks. Any special precautions I should take diving in them outside of being more careful to not get them wet?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
dunno crunk they shouldn't be a problem? I know quite a few who dive with contacts and they always just work fine. They say to close your eyes if your going to do mask flood/clear.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If you're new to contacts, be sure to give yourself some time to get used to them before diving with them. Your eyes will already be sensitive and the additional stresses of diving won't help matters.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Kaal posted:

If you're new to contacts, be sure to give yourself some time to get used to them before diving with them. Your eyes will already be sensitive and the additional stresses of diving won't help matters.

Solid plan. I've been glasses for 11 years. Getting a week or two experience under my belt would be smart before I took a deep class down to 100 feet.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I dive with contacts and it's never been a problem. The only obvious advice I can give is to make sure you bring an extra pair of fresh ones with you when you dive, as well as a case and some solution.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

Solid plan. I've been glasses for 11 years. Getting a week or two experience under my belt would be smart before I took a deep class down to 100 feet.

Nothing like having a ocean full of saline water!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Crunkjuice posted:

Well dude, welcome to being awesome. Diving aside, contacts are so loving cool. I wore contacts and glasses for most of my life, and contacts were such an upgrade from glasses. Well done mate. My only tip is to not be a pussy about using that saline solution, particularly for the first few weeks. Your eyes will be dryer than normal, and loving around with it instead of putting the juice in your eyes is just stupid.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Kaal posted:

Well dude, welcome to being awesome. Diving aside, contacts are so loving cool. I wore contacts and glasses for most of my life, and contacts were such an upgrade from glasses. Well done mate. My only tip is to not be a pussy about using that saline solution, particularly for the first few weeks. Your eyes will be dryer than normal, and loving around with it instead of putting the juice in your eyes is just stupid.

I tried em out when i was 12 (11 years ago) when i was a really active. I have bad astigmatism, so i need toric lenses (weighted at the bottom so they don't rotate as much). When i tried them they were pretty new for astigmatism, really expensive, and not comfortable. Since i was so active, and they were such a pain in the rear end i got really turned off on them until recently where i realize that 11 years is a lot of advancement and worth it to try them again. In diving, i really never had an issue with my vision because i never really dive in water with vis better than 8 feet on a good day. I'm hoping the 2nd trip around, being a not retarded kid and newer contacts, will be the permanent solution.

I'm glad there aren't any specific (besides flooding/getting them wet) issues diving with contacts. I can't tell you guys how awesome it will be to actually understand what students are signalling from the other side of the pool.

Ladies though. 99% of the reason for contacts. The whole seeing when diving thing is just a perk.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
Laser eye surgery is the way to go if you can afford to drop the cash, though the 3-4 months until you can dive again might be a drawback (I had it done in August 2010 and ended up doing my OW in November so it worked out very nicely).

Also SlicerDicer great pics. Where were these taken?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Azzip posted:

Laser eye surgery is the way to go if you can afford to drop the cash, though the 3-4 months until you can dive again might be a drawback (I had it done in August 2010 and ended up doing my OW in November so it worked out very nicely).

Yeah same, laser eyes are the best.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Azzip posted:

Also SlicerDicer great pics. Where were these taken?

Maui Hawaii, I should be taking some again at Lanai or Molokai again soon.

Das Clarity

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 9, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've got no interest in tech diving, weird gas mixtures, insane depth, caving - any of that beyond amateur-hour scuba at less than 30 metres. But gently caress me if rebreather shots don't always look totally badass.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Slicerdicer/Bishop/anyone who knows about rebreathers. Why do combat divers have their breathers on their chests and not their backs?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Gromit posted:

I've got no interest in tech diving, weird gas mixtures, insane depth, caving - any of that beyond amateur-hour scuba at less than 30 metres. But gently caress me if rebreather shots don't always look totally badass.

I am hoping to get better at taking pictures with my camera, I am learning slowly taking some 200-500 pics a dive generally. It just takes time to get usto the camera and how to set everything.

I should get better and better photos I hope, Then night diving that will be the animal that wont die!

the meat of where my pics are coming from now.

Crunkjuice posted:

Slicerdicer/Bishop/anyone who knows about rebreathers. Why do combat divers have their breathers on their chests and not their backs?

Was all about work of breathing over Backmounted counterlungs, also the movement is very unrestricted with chestmount as I have dove with a LAR V

Its lightweight, small, and work of breathing is easy... ohh and the chest was only clear spot when the back had gear etc.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 10, 2012

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Gromit posted:

There's a growing number of recreational rebreathers out there - the Poseidon Discovery VI and Hollis Explorer spring to mind but I know there are more, and apparently they're set to be the "next big thing."

The gas is no weirder than recreational nitrox and the units aren't designed to exceed the 40-ish metre recreational limit.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Finch! posted:

There's a growing number of recreational rebreathers out there - the Poseidon Discovery VI and Hollis Explorer spring to mind but I know there are more, and apparently they're set to be the "next big thing."

The gas is no weirder than recreational nitrox and the units aren't designed to exceed the 40-ish metre recreational limit.

except the thought of everyday people doing rebreathers is somewhat horrifying given they can be a serious box of death. They are not a joke in anyway... I dive at least once a week on my unit if not more and I know that its not a matter of if but when.. It will try to kill me.. and it will do it again...

The reality is will my training, brain, and calmness be able to get me out of the situation or will I end up a number on the rebreather death wall.. I make no mistake about how they can kill you and are devices that require utmost respect and care.. Assembly and repair...

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

SlicerDicer posted:

except the thought of everyday people doing rebreathers is somewhat horrifying given they can be a serious box of death. They are not a joke in anyway... I dive at least once a week on my unit if not more and I know that its not a matter of if but when.. It will try to kill me.. and it will do it again...

The reality is will my training, brain, and calmness be able to get me out of the situation or will I end up a number on the rebreather death wall.. I make no mistake about how they can kill you and are devices that require utmost respect and care.. Assembly and repair...

Most definitely. They are pretty serious pieces of gear and should be treated as such.

I'm not familiar with any kind of rebreather training (a discover rebreather course doesn't count!), though with a small amount of open circuit technical training I know what that's like and it's very, very thorough.

I imagine that recreational rebreather training cover the critical components of rebreather use and maintenance just the same as a technical rebreather course. However, since it's not designed to be used outside recreational limits it won't cover anything to do with decompression or anything involving advanced nitrox or whatever. So long as the operator is taught how to use the thing properly, it shouldn't matter that they're not qualified for deco or crazy nitrox because they won't be using it for that type of diving anyway.

Of course, then there's the whole additional prior training that a technical rebreather diver would have, and the (generally) greater competence at dealing with problems, stress management, and the different mindset that comes with tech diving. I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be for a recreational diver without those foundations to deal with catastrophes without freaking out. Depends on the diver, I guess.

Interestingly, all the recreational units I've seen or read about seem to be becoming more and more automated. Electronic, automatic, self-checking, plug-and-play sorb canisters, and a huge amount of electronics to try to ensure the operator won't kill themselves. Most of the technical rebreathers operate on the principle that the operator well trained is is capable of second guessing the electronics, and should. There's nearly always some kind of manual override, unlike the recreational systems.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Finch! posted:

Most definitely. They are pretty serious pieces of gear and should be treated as such.

I'm not familiar with any kind of rebreather training (a discover rebreather course doesn't count!), though with a small amount of open circuit technical training I know what that's like and it's very, very thorough.

I imagine that recreational rebreather training cover the critical components of rebreather use and maintenance just the same as a technical rebreather course. However, since it's not designed to be used outside recreational limits it won't cover anything to do with decompression or anything involving advanced nitrox or whatever. So long as the operator is taught how to use the thing properly, it shouldn't matter that they're not qualified for deco or crazy nitrox because they won't be using it for that type of diving anyway.

Of course, then there's the whole additional prior training that a technical rebreather diver would have, and the (generally) greater competence at dealing with problems, stress management, and the different mindset that comes with tech diving. I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be for a recreational diver without those foundations to deal with catastrophes without freaking out. Depends on the diver, I guess.

Interestingly, all the recreational units I've seen or read about seem to be becoming more and more automated. Electronic, automatic, self-checking, plug-and-play sorb canisters, and a huge amount of electronics to try to ensure the operator won't kill themselves. Most of the technical rebreathers operate on the principle that the operator well trained is is capable of second guessing the electronics, and should. There's nearly always some kind of manual override, unlike the recreational systems.

Well I mean the recreational rebreather works on same concept. There is maximum degree of responsibility with rebreather. Making it idiot proof is all but impossible, for instance you can NEVER fail to close your DSV.. Recreational limits or not what happens if your at 100ft your solenoid fails your at 0.40 PPO2? Diver panics.. OMGADS!!! MY REBREATHER IS NOT WORKING!! If they panic and dart for surface... Forgetting to bail off in panic.. At 86ft they start to go hypoxic.. Just a simple example really of partial pressures. This is a severe problem with rebreathers is that they do not work the same way as open circuit that its always breathable at the surface. Hence why you can breathe yourself to death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr753w

Then you can delve into Hypercapnia..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBtdI1qF11M

What about flooded loop? Are they going to spend the time needed to verify positive and negative pressure checks? Keep eye on mushroom valves?

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/megalodon-rebreather/39039-always-check-your-mushroom-valves.html

What about the oxygen clean? How are people going to treat this and keep from having a O2 fire? Are people really going to be this careful with the gear?

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/rebreather-accidents-incidents/123-boat-burnt-down-o2-fire-caused.html

This is not kids poo poo.. This is grown up serious business, Then read through the fatality database..

I am new to rebreathers but I respect the poo poo out of them. I read what people did and why things happen I have huge amounts of literature and keep reading.

So now to the electronic world. Mine is a eCCR it fully automated in the sense it holds my PPO2 where its suposto be but if it fails I have redundant computers I also have redundant ways of adding dil and O2, I even carry excessive gas to have offboard O2 and Dil most times that also backs up as bailout and deco gas. I do not see the recreational rebreathers as being a safe thing and I hope that people do not get killed and then say that they are any more dangerous than what they are.

People dive with brains turned off on OC I see it all the time.. Scary stuff man.

I will note that this rebreather is very popular and useable I just question the thought of labeling recreational and treating it as a toy.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

SlicerDicer posted:

I will note that this rebreather is very popular and useable I just question the thought of labeling recreational and treating it as a toy.

I was with you up to this point. No underwater breathing equipment is made up of toys, open circuit or closed circuit. Rebreathers obviously require more training and attention, but it's quite possible to kill or injure yourself with open circuit gear. Many people have.

As much as people like to break things up into "recreational" and "technical" diving, most technical divers do it for recreation. It's a hobby, even if it is a hobby where inattention or neglect can kill you (which is hardly unique to tech diving). If recreational scuba equipment falls under your definition of toys, then so do things like sport motorcycles or hang gliders, right? In that case, the rebreather is absolutely a toy.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I was with you up to this point. No underwater breathing equipment is made up of toys, open circuit or closed circuit. Rebreathers obviously require more training and attention, but it's quite possible to kill or injure yourself with open circuit gear. Many people have.

As much as people like to break things up into "recreational" and "technical" diving, most technical divers do it for recreation. It's a hobby, even if it is a hobby where inattention or neglect can kill you (which is hardly unique to tech diving). If recreational scuba equipment falls under your definition of toys, then so do things like sport motorcycles or hang gliders, right? In that case, the rebreather is absolutely a toy.

I am saying by PADI doing the Type R Rebreathers scares me.. People will see it as a Toy.. Maybe poor choice of words but in reality what it is.. It's Life Support Equipment.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

What he's saying is that a rebreather, even when considered and made for recreational diving, is still an incredibly advanced piece of equipment and needs to be treated as such. With your normal recreational gear, you can just keep your regs/bcd in a closet for 6 months, pick up a rental tank and enjoy an afternoon underwater with minimal effort. With a rebreather, you need a LOT of careful maintenance, and a LOT of specialized knowledge/training to use that equipment, even for a recreational setting. If people see a rebreather marketed for "recreational depths", they might get the idea of "not dangerous" since its not technical rated.

Have you ever not really planned a dive because "oh, its only 30 feet. What could possibly go wrong?" In open circuit that probably won't kill you. That poo poo will 100% not fly with a rebreather. You can't go on autopilot, you can't just not plan a dive. You have to be constantly vigilant with that piece of equipment. If people think they are recreational, they might not be and thats where it could get dangerous.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 10, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

Have you ever not really planned a dive because "oh, its only 30 feet. What could possibly go wrong?" In open circuit that probably won't kill you. That poo poo will 100% not fly with a rebreather. You can't go on autopilot, you can't just not plan a dive. You have to be constantly vigilant with that piece of equipment. If people think they are recreational, they might not be and thats where it could get dangerous.

And yes your right on target.

Well to put things into perspective.. It takes me some 2 hours of prep to put my camera, rebreather, bailout bottles, check all gear.. etc.

And you cant miss steps.. or you flood something horrible and well at least I have insurance on my gear.. but that does not help if you die right?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Bishop posted:

A classic goon stereotype is that we're afraid of the ocean. That's crap. The ocean rules.

I'd just like to say that I never knew this stereotype existed.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

semicolonsrock posted:

To get to the ocean you first must leave your parent's basement.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Kaal posted:

To get to the ocean you first must leave your parent's basement.

one does not just simply walk into ocean, one must make a giant stride off back of boat?

Beach diving sucks.

Mind = Blown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xusdWPuWAoU

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 10, 2012

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

semicolonsrock posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1977 Anytime a thread pops up in GBS there's usually some sort of cthulu reference and people freaking out at the crazy poo poo that lives down deep.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Finch! posted:

I was only putting those things in the list to show the other sorts of non-newbie diving things that people can do. I'm strictly easy scuba, and have no desire to go any further. I've only got 30 dives under my belt in the 4 years or whatever it's been, and still don't own any gear much beyond mask and fins.
Tempted to buy a computer and reg set, though, I must say.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Gromit posted:

I'm strictly easy scuba
Easy SCUBA owns. As much as I post about wreck diving and my inevitable death, there's nothing more relaxing than taking my runabout out, mooring up to a reef where nobody else is, dropping down to the sand at 20-30ft and just hanging out watching the fish pass by.

semicolonsrock posted:

It's been around for as long as I can remember. There's no respawn points in the ocean so I guess it's kind of scary for people on a website that started out as mostly gamers. :)

SlicerDicer posted:

This is a severe problem with rebreathers is that they do not work the same way as open circuit that its always breathable at the surface. Hence why you can breathe yourself to death.
Go on a boat full of mostly open circuit people, and breathe on the loop for 5 minutes (like you're supposed to) pre-dive. When someone inevitably asks you what you're doing, truthfully respond that it's better to pass out on the boat than in the water and watch the look on their face.

The "recreational rebreathers" are an oxymoron to me. The technology is definitely getting more reliable but regardless of any safety issues, I don't see the point. The people using them are doing dives that can be accomplished with simpler gear. It's going to be a growing market and word on the boats is that AP, Innerspace systems, and the other big boys are looking to put out their own units.

SlicerDicer posted:

Are they going to spend the time needed to verify positive and negative pressure checks? Keep eye on mushroom valves?
What's funny is that during its automatic pre-dive test, the Mark VI (the only recreational 'breather I know of?) does it's own positive/negative pressure test. You don't touch it or anything. Kind of freaks me out.

Also it's getting to be summer. Anybody got trips/training planned yet? I know macado is doing deco procedures which is a good class that opens up a ton of doors. E: I'm personally doing divemaster so I can become a master of the diving and help teach people. Other than that, more of the same. There's lots of wrecks up along the eastern Florida coast that I've never dove and I've finally got a bead on some people that run private charters to them. You gotta hot drop onto a lot of them which is like my favorite thing in the world to do. It does suck if you miss the wreck though.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 11, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Easy SCUBA owns. As much as I post about wreck diving and my inevitable death, there's nothing more relaxing than taking my runabout out, mooring up to a reef where nobody else is, dropping down to the sand at 20-30ft and just hanging out watching the fish pass by.
It's been around for as long as I can remember. There's no respawn points in the ocean so I guess it's kind of scary for people on a website that started out as mostly gamers. :)
Go on a boat full of mostly open circuit people, and breathe on the loop for 5 minutes (like you're supposed to) pre-dive. When someone inevitably asks you what you're doing, truthfully respond that it's better to pass out on the boat than in the water and watch the look on their face.

People look at me like spaceman.. even more so when I suit up and gear up while boat is in motion splat in water before most even know we are at dive site LOL

They see me rolling around on the deck like a farm animal wrestling with my gear.

Bishop posted:

The "recreational rebreathers" are an oxymoron to me. The technology is definitely getting more reliable but regardless of any safety issues, I don't see the point. The people using them are doing dives that can be accomplished with simpler gear. It's going to be a growing market and word on the boats is that AP, Innerspace systems, and the other big boys are looking to put out their own units.
What's funny is that during its automatic pre-dive test, the Mark VI (the only recreational 'breather I know of?) does it's own positive/negative pressure test. You don't touch it or anything. Kind of freaks me out.

Yeah I dunno I do not go ultra deep but I am filming and pics so thats very viable. I cant see the rebreather for everybody though. And that Mark VI sounds creepy and also they dont want beyond 135 bar for explosive stuff.

When doing my own boosting really no need to go past 150 for O2 thats fine. But 200 bar does not bother me honestly. Slow as she goes.

Bishop posted:

Also it's getting to be summer. Anybody got trips/training planned yet? I know macado is doing deco procedures which is a good class that opens up a ton of doors. E: I'm personally doing divemaster so I can become a master of the diving and help teach people. Other than that, more of the same. There's lots of wrecks up along the eastern Florida coast that I've never dove and I've finally got a bead on some people that run private charters to them. You gotta hot drop onto a lot of them which is like my favorite thing in the world to do. It does suck if you miss the wreck though.

I am right now in process of doing IDC, after that I am going to be going to Australia maybe I will dive some 40-50m wrecks? I also want to get some good pics of the kelp beds.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishop posted:

Not really any big trips per se, but I mentioned before that I'm heading to the Keys around Aug 2nd-5th. Let me know if you end up being down there around that time. I'd love to head out with you off your boat in Key Largo.

This weekend I'm heading down to Jupiter for a two tank dive and in May I'm going over to Venice to do some shark teeth diving. I've also booked a trip to do the Epcot Dive Quest and dive in their big rear end aquarium in August. I booked a whole tour for 12 people with a dive club I'm part of and it ended up about half the cost that way, which is awesome.

Oh and hot dropping is pretty awesome. The first time I did it, no one on the boat told me that that is what we were doing, so I hit the water with air in my BCD, looked down and people were already 60 feet down or so. All that charter does are hot drops because they're usually aiming for something specific like a feature in the reef.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

rockcity posted:

Not really any big trips per se, but I mentioned before that I'm heading to the Keys around Aug 2nd-5th. Let me know if you end up being down there around that time. I'd love to head out with you off your boat in Key Largo.
I'm almost 100% sure I will be. We can do pretty much whatever type of diving you want. I'm on the north side of key largo and about ~20 minutes away from reefs that shops rarely visit because it's too far out of their way. I'm also 45-50 minutes from the artificial wrecks and I can give some pretty cool tours (outside, inside, or both) that stay well within no deco limits.

That's also a standing offer for anyone that posts in these threads. I don't know exact dates yet but I might simply be down there the entire summer.

Slicer, when I get around to it I'm going to throw some of your pics in the OP if that's cool with you. Also if anyone has suggestions on stuff to add or change, post 'em or PM me.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 11, 2012

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishop posted:

I'm almost 100% sure I will be. We can do pretty much whatever type of diving you want. I'm on the north side of key largo and about ~20 minutes away from reefs that shops rarely visit because it's too far out of their way. I'm also 45-50 minutes from the artificial wrecks and I can give some pretty cool tours (outside, inside, or both) that stay well within no deco limits.

That's also a standing offer for anyone that posts in these threads. I don't know exact dates yet but I might simply be down there the entire summer.

Hell yes. I'll definitely be in touch closer to the date. I have a full set of gear and a pair of AL80s, so I won't need anything to hit the water. Wreck diving would be awesome. I still haven't had a chance to do one yet, though I think we're doing one this weekend.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Ill be diving every chance I get this summer mostly in broward with a few trips to the keys and the west coast of florida. Probably mostly freediving. But some hookah and scuba here and there.

May first is the Atlantic grouper season opener, trying to make it down to Elliot Key the first weekend of may to get some nice opening weekend grouper sandwiches. Will also be hitting the deeper wrecks and grouper holes up here in broward.

July 25th and 26th is lobster mini season. Per family tradition I will be going down to big pine key for both days to catch lobster and have fun.

Rockcity, do you have any more info about the shark-tooth diving? I am super interested in getting some megaldon teeth sometime soon.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 11, 2012

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Rockcity, do you have any more info about the shark-tooth diving? I am super interested in getting some megaldon teeth sometime soon.

I'm going out with the Lockheed Martin Dive Club here in Orlando that I joined last year and they're putting on the dive. I think that the charter is through the Scuba Quest shop in Sarasota, but I'm not 100% positive. The info that was sent out doesn't actually say the name of the charter just the name of the boat which is Conch Quest. The boat leaves out of Nokonis Beach on the north end of Venice. It's a 25-35 foot sand bar area that is supposedly full of the megalodon teeth. The boat captains know of all the hot spots in the area to take you so your odds are really good for coming back with something. I can fill you in with more next month to let you know how it goes.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Slicer, when I get around to it I'm going to throw some of your pics in the OP if that's cool with you. Also if anyone has suggestions on stuff to add or change, post 'em or PM me.

Absolutely I will be taking more consistently.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Has anyone dived in the Baltimore Aquarium by chance? They have it, and Yelp reviews say it's good stuff, but I'm curious as to if any of you guys have done it.

I tried going to Epcot DiveQuest, and had everything booked, but when I got there, they said that they closed it due to some repairs and that they thought they called me. They didn't :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

Has anyone dived in the Baltimore Aquarium by chance? They have it, and Yelp reviews say it's good stuff, but I'm curious as to if any of you guys have done it.

I tried going to Epcot DiveQuest, and had everything booked, but when I got there, they said that they closed it due to some repairs and that they thought they called me. They didn't :(

Can't say I've done that, but I'm signed up for DiveQuest and I'm pretty excited about it. That sucks that your dive was cancelled.