Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Well, after spending all night with this, I fixed it. Was either 1 of 2 things:

1. HTTPS was enabled on Sickbeard
2. Was replacing an episode with the same episode I had already downloaded, but in better quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fake
Sep 9, 2001
I'm sorry, fake!
Love, Ozma

fake posted:

Doh, sorry. DOGnzb looks pretty nice.

Got my SickBeard and CouchPotato hooked up and searches are going smoothly. However, the urls that they send to SAB seem busted. Any ideas? They look like:

http://www.dognzb.cr/api?t=get&id=c4cf46edf80017a29dcb9ee5701dafd2&apikey=xxx

Return:

<error code="201" description="Incorrect parameter"/>

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

fake posted:

Got my SickBeard and CouchPotato hooked up and searches are going smoothly. However, the urls that they send to SAB seem busted. Any ideas? They look like:

http://www.dognzb.cr/api?t=get&id=c4cf46edf80017a29dcb9ee5701dafd2&apikey=xxx

Return:

<error code="201" description="Incorrect parameter"/>

I believe you need to be a paid member to access dognzbs api for sickbeard. That's maybe why your getting an error if it's just for that particular search.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
CouchPotato is awesome. I'm currently moving all my existing movies into my "new movies" folder so Couch can then rename them and move them back to my proper movies folder. Seems to rename quite well though for some reason one of my movies was named something completely different to what it was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, I didn't think it did that? Or are you putting a request into CP for the movie and tricking it into thinking it's just downloaded?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

The pHo posted:

Oh neat, I didn't think it did that? Or are you putting a request into CP for the movie and tricking it into thinking it's just downloaded?
I imagine that's at least one way of doing it. In Config > Renaming, set your Download folder to whatever folder you want to drag your movies into, and then Movie destination where you want them all sorted out in.

Drag & drop! :)

I feel so smart going into today being completely usenet illiterate to giving advice about CouchPotato & Sickbeard after spending nearly 8 hours setting my whole system up and dropping torrents like it yesterday's news :)

89 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 11, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, maybe that's come with one of the latest builds as I'm sure it never used to work when you did that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Besides the above mentioned movie renaming, I don't really understand the purpose of Couch Potato. This isn't like TV where a new one comes out every week and you want it to be there when you get home so you can just sit down and watch. Plus, there tends to be like 10 different releases per movie and a handful of them seem to be garbage, so how do you (or CP) know what to grab without looking at comments or researching?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't find much use for CP on paper, but installed it and had a mess about and like the following:

* Integrates with iMDB watchlist, very useful when at the theater and watching previews... quickly tap the watchlist and no more thinkin 'drat, what was that trailer I saw before the film...' at the end. If you're not in the US, there's a good chance it's grabbed by the time you get home!

* Scraping and auto updating of XBMC which is useful.

It's not *as* useful as SickBeard, but it has a few features that make it handy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The pHo posted:

Cool, maybe that's come with one of the latest builds as I'm sure it never used to work when you did that.

CouchPotato has always done this. Its how it works.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Besides the above mentioned movie renaming, I don't really understand the purpose of Couch Potato. This isn't like TV where a new one comes out every week and you want it to be there when you get home so you can just sit down and watch. Plus, there tends to be like 10 different releases per movie and a handful of them seem to be garbage, so how do you (or CP) know what to grab without looking at comments or researching?
As mentioned its not as useful as Sick beard but that doesn't make it not useful.

Personally, any time I read about a movie or see a preview or whatever I just put it into Couchpotato. Then, months later, all of a sudden theres a new movie in my XBMC recently added movies list that I had forgotten all about.

As far as movie versions/qualities on Usenet, I probably have a problem with 1% of the movies it downloads. CP has an ignored words watch list which I have set up to ignore the lovely release groups and the bizarre amount of German and Dutch versions of movies.

Steamos
Jul 22, 2011
Just a quick question regarding News Demon, does anybody know how long the £4.44 super unlimited offer is going to last for? Or how often that kind of offer comes up there?

I'm kind of half way through a block and don't want to by an account and not use it till I've finished the block or miss the offer.

On the other hand I suppose I could sell the account.

Ibbz
Dec 21, 2005
First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women
NZBHQ (https://www.nzbhq.com) is also another free alternative to nzbs.org that's like a cross between the standard Nzbs.org site & the BETA Nzbs.org site. (Probably powered by Newznab)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... I've been getting a ton of incomplete articles from SuperNews lately so I'm either looking to switch to get a backup server.

For this month I paid for Astraweb and it seems to be much, much better, but is there a better choice?

BlockNews _might_ make sense but for entire missing posts it's easy to burn through a bunch of gigabytes...

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'd just like to chime in and say that DOGnzb seems awesome and they will be getting my :10bux: unless something REALLY awesome pops up between now and the 19th.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Vinlaen posted:

So... I've been getting a ton of incomplete articles from SuperNews lately so I'm either looking to switch to get a backup server.

For this month I paid for Astraweb and it seems to be much, much better, but is there a better choice?

BlockNews _might_ make sense but for entire missing posts it's easy to burn through a bunch of gigabytes...

If you're downloading linux isos meant for consoles, then you'll probably have to move away from Giganews feeds. They've been getting taken down entirely by GN.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, that must be the problem...

Is Astraweb or Highwinds any better for that kind of stuff or are they both about the same?

EDIT: Maybe it's worth just moving completely off SuperNews and just switch to AstraWeb or something? No point in paying for SuperNews if they offer _less_ than the other providers...

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 12, 2012

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Couple of questions. So, for now, if I just want to faff about with this to see what the craic is (used Usenet in the past, but lol, long time ago) I should:

1) Download sabnzbd (is there some reason I would want Sickbeard or Couchpotato to begin win?),
2) Make an account on an indexer (is there any that you would specifically recommend at the minute?),
3) Grab an account with Blocknews for whatever money is idling in my Paypal account,
4) Add get the wee extension in my browser to save myself a bit of hastle?

That's it right? Just set the options in sabnzbd for Download folder/whatever, and once that's done the firefox addon just gives me wee links to click on the indexing sites that does the rest for me?

Am I reading that correctly from the OP?

I think in the past I paid for an indexer too? Is there any reason to now? People seem to like DogNZB, should I just go ahead and opt for that?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 12, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Tindahbawx posted:

Couple of questions. So, for now, if I just want to faff about with this to see what the craic is (used Usenet in the past, but lol, long time ago) I should:

1) Download sabnzbd (is there some reason I would want Sickbeard or Couchpotato to begin win?),
2) Make an account on an indexer (is there any that you would specifically recommend at the minute?),
3) Grab an account with Blocknews for whatever money is idling in my Paypal account,

That's it right? Just set the options in sabnzbd for Download folder/whatever, and once that's done the firefox addon just gives me wee links to click on the indexing sites that does the rest for me?

I think in the past I paid for an indexer too? Is there any reason to now?

Sickbeard and Couchpotato are really good at managing media, but they're not necessary (but once you set them up, you won't know how you ever lived without them).

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Tindahbawx posted:

I think in the past I paid for an indexer too? Is there any reason to now? People seem to like DogNZB, should I just go ahead and opt for that?

Also for number 3, use the supernews special as you can use it as much as you want for $10 a month, which is probably going to be a better deal for you then $10 of blocknews.

BlackRider
Dec 28, 2004

Tindahbawx posted:

1) You can do sickbeard\couchpotato at a later time but I would strongly recommend setting up Sickbeard ASAP because of how convenient\awesome it is. In case you missed it, these programs send files to SABnzbd for downloading so you will still need SABnzbd regardless.

2) http://nzb.su is free but has a daily limit of how many .nzb's you can grab. This has been fine for me and I would recommend starting with it before paying for anything.

3) Determine how much you think you will download in a month. If it's more than something like 92GB then get an unlimited plan. Otherwise, go with blocknews and get the 200GB block for ~$20

4) Yes, get an extension for the times where you need to manually download something.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Check out NZBMatrix too. It's come through for some stuff that others haven't quite often. I've found the VIP $10 worth it in my case. Interface isn't anything to write home about, but it works. I usually sign up for most of the indexers I come across, at least a free account. Helps in case of site outages or closures as is the case with nzbs.org.

I'll probably toss $10 over to DogNZB also since it seems to have a pretty well polished front end and developer who is active in improving and tweaking the site.

And definitely get the browser extension. Makes things much smoother for every site that doesn't get a little "Send to SAB" button. As soon as you download a .nzb file it sends it over to SABnzbd as fast as if there were one.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I had an unlimited account with Astraweb I was happy with for a couple years, but last month decided I'd be better off with their $50 for 1000gb pay-by-download plan. Working out fine so far if anyone's looking for an alternative.

Still pretty sad about nzbs.org, however :(

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BlackRider posted:

3) Determine how much you think you will download in a month. If it's more than something like 92GB then get an unlimited plan. Otherwise, go with blocknews and get the 200GB block for ~$20
Astraweb's 1000GB for $50 pushes that out to be more that 200GB a month.

BlackRider
Dec 28, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Astraweb's 1000GB for $50 pushes that out to be more that 200GB a month.

I was not aware this existed - thanks!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Is there a way to have sickbeard keep just 5 of the latest episodes of a TV show you've subscribed to and delete the oldest one as a new one is downloaded AND have XBMC delete that episode that is deleted?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

89 posted:

Is there a way to have sickbeard keep just 5 of the latest episodes of a TV show you've subscribed to and delete the oldest one as a new one is downloaded AND have XBMC delete that episode that is deleted?

That would be handled through a XBMC mod. Sickbeard won't resnatch something it's snatched unless you specifically set it to wanted again.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_File_Cleaner

Just look for that or something similar. The dev supposedly stopped supporting it but it may still be functional.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

YouTuber posted:

That would be handled through a XBMC mod. Sickbeard won't resnatch something it's snatched unless you specifically set it to wanted again.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_File_Cleaner

Just look for that or something similar. The dev supposedly stopped supporting it but it may still be functional.
Looks like that isn't on the repo anymore.

What I need is a program that will just straight up monitor a folder and delete a file if I have too many. Belvedere does a good job of deleting files after a certain date, but I want to keep 5 most current episodes of certain TV shows. But, I don't want them deleted after the show ends.

I have Clean Library running on XBMC update/startup, so if a file is deleted, it will take it out of the library.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the closest I have is a program that watches date created tags in folders and uses the clean on update flag too, useful for shows that come out on a daily basis and you won't watch more than once and are unlikely to go trawling through the archive of. Shame there's not a way of doing what you said, like iTunes can do with podcasts.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

The pHo posted:

Yeah the closest I have is a program that watches date created tags in folders and uses the clean on update flag too, useful for shows that come out on a daily basis and you won't watch more than once and are unlikely to go trawling through the archive of. Shame there's not a way of doing what you said, like iTunes can do with podcasts.

A quick python script could probably do what you want pretty easily.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody use MysterBin or raw usenet searches?

I trying to download some NZBs from there and I kept getting incomplete RAR files, etc. I even switched to AstraWeb to make sure it wasn't my usenet provider.

Well - it turns out that MysterBin was providing me incomplete/wrong NZB files. Does anybody know if they get their indexing information GigaNews?

(ie. I compared the NZB contents and MysterBin had wrong file segment sizes, etc; it looks like I won't be using MysterBin again...)

Are there any raw indexing sites similar to MysterBin but using AstraWeb or perhaps even HighWinds? (ie. providers that don't remove articles)

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Could just be a problem with uploading. Some of the posting programs aren't that great and will have incompletes.

If you use binsearch do you get all the correct files?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Unfortunately it looks like a problem with MysterBin (GigaNews?).

I downloaded the "same" NZB from NZBMatrix and then MysterBin and I looked inside the NZB file to make sure they were both pointing to the same usenet message ids.

The difference was that the MysterBin NZBs had invalid file sizes and other problems (perhaps from a DMCA take-down?)

This was a problem because even when using AstraWeb (who had full articles) it was downloading incompletes because of the MysterBin NZB file...

Does that make sense? :/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Never used MysterBin for raw usenet searches. But I do use Binsearch regularly and haven't had problems there except on really old stuff. And even then not very often.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
I've never had any issues with MysterBin (which I use fairly often). I'm on supernews with blocknews as a backup. If you are having troubles, try binsearch as Deadpool mentioned.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

OK - I'll give binsearch a try...

Just curious though... what provider does binsearch use for it's information? What happens if articles get removed? (ie. giganews/supernews)

I'm trying to avoid grabbing NZBs that might be incomplete on giganews but are complete on astraweb.

For example, if binsearch used giganews and an article was removed or whatever, I would think that if I used binsearch I could never see the article even though it was available on astraweb, etc.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is the NZBMatrix API just hosed? I've been running Sickbeard without NZBs.org as a provider, and it seems like any NZB file pulled from NZBMatrix has a 50% chance of kicking back a "URL fetching failed, invalid NZB file" or something.

I might just give it up entirely. I'm still not sure why NZBs would be showing up there sooner than the Sickbeard index or NZBs.su.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vinlaen posted:

OK - I'll give binsearch a try...

Just curious though... what provider does binsearch use for it's information? What happens if articles get removed? (ie. giganews/supernews)

I'm trying to avoid grabbing NZBs that might be incomplete on giganews but are complete on astraweb.

For example, if binsearch used giganews and an article was removed or whatever, I would think that if I used binsearch I could never see the article even though it was available on astraweb, etc.

I think the search providers, unless you're looking at one which is associated with a specific usenet provider, generally use multiple providers to avoid any problems that may affect one specific option.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Is the NZBMatrix API just hosed? I've been running Sickbeard without NZBs.org as a provider, and it seems like any NZB file pulled from NZBMatrix has a 50% chance of kicking back a "URL fetching failed, invalid NZB file" or something.

I might just give it up entirely. I'm still not sure why NZBs would be showing up there sooner than the Sickbeard index or NZBs.su.

nzbmatrix is really inconsistent/unstable, particularly with API returns. It's one of the last on my Sickbeard priority ordering. That said you can find a lot of stuff there that you can't anywhere else so its worth having an account in my opinion.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Sooo, I was chewing through that 200GB Blocknews chunk at a right old rate (120gb in 4 days), so I went ahead and got a NewsDemon unlimited account, and set Blocknews to be the backup server.

Unfortunately I've just found out that they're both Highwinds resellers, so that was a bit stupid. Ah well, can't be helped now.

So, should I switch the Blocknews backup account to something different when its used up? Suggestions for block account, that isn't Highwinds?

Or should I switch the NewsDemon account at the end of the month to something else, again, that isn't Highwinds, as I'll keep the remainder of the Blocknews as the backup in this case.

Thanks!

Also is there any other indexers that I should know of aside from NZBmatrix (which I discovered I had a VIP account on), NZB.su and DogNZB?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Tindahbawx posted:

Sooo, I was chewing through that 200GB Blocknews chunk at a right old rate (120gb in 4 days), so I went ahead and got a NewsDemon unlimited account, and set Blocknews to be the backup server.

Unfortunately I've just found out that they're both Highwinds resellers, so that was a bit stupid. Ah well, can't be helped now.

So, should I switch the Blocknews backup account to something different when its used up? Suggestions for block account, that isn't Highwinds?

Or should I switch the NewsDemon account at the end of the month to something else, again, that isn't Highwinds, as I'll keep the remainder of the Blocknews as the backup in this case.

Thanks!

Also is there any other indexers that I should know of aside from NZBmatrix (which I discovered I had a VIP account on), NZB.su and DogNZB?

The best main feed I've found is Supernews. I actually have 2 backup block accounts, Blocknews and Astraweb (they occasionally haves sales.)

Try to get a free account with xsusenet.com. They're super unreliable, but it can't actually hurt to have it is a backup server.