Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Combaticus posted:

Is there any reason to get the GW texture paints instead of the vallejo texture stuff that comes in larger pots? And why not skip both and just get a tub of textured filler from a DIY store or paint supply?

Maybe you just hate having money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
What exactly do people use from hardware stores for basing/texture?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Recursive Expanse posted:

Sand & Wood Glue. It's a pain in the arse when you don't have a car and can't get a massive bag of sand from the local B&Q for less than the small GW pot.

Also, my local GW is holding a painting competition that ends on Thursday. This is my entry so far:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I use modeling pastes from an art store. It's usually $10-$14 for a 125ml pot, which gives you plenty to work with. There is probably some sort of coarse spackling product available at hardware stores.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

lilljonas posted:

Maybe you just hate having money?
Isn't that a given in this hobby?

Textured filler is pretty good for modelling dirt, I guess you can use untextured filler and add sand if you don't like the grain in the textured filler. I usually add paint to the filler and put it on the bases after having finished painting the models. Glue is also cheaper at hardware stores than hobby/arts and crafts stores.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Combaticus posted:

Is there any reason to get the GW texture paints instead of the vallejo texture stuff that comes in larger pots? And why not skip both and just get a tub of textured filler from a DIY store or paint supply?

The eventual rule from GW tournaments that say you can't play unless your models are painted with at least 60% Games Workshop paints.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That would prevent you from playing in GW tournaments, which is undoubtably a good thing.

Wait, didn't GW can their tournaments? I thought it was all independents now.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I have no clue. I was looking at playing at the nearby hobbytown, but they have a big sign that says that every model on the table has to be 75% GW, to which I shrugged and walked away from.

Sorry that I can find better daemonsmith models for around 20% of the price as forgeworld, I guess I'll have to play barbies somewhere else :v:.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've had a lot of good experiences with basing using wall spackle (the pink stuff that turns white when it dries) along with Elmer's glue and sand.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So, I have never been a fan of pinning. I usually just glue thoroughly and make sure there's good contact points and it's never let me down, along with some green stuff support for gaps or problem joints.

But I just started Malifaux, and 90% of these minis are tiny ankles and single contact points and flying poses and stuff like that and it's metal on resin bases so I guess I should pin it. I'm used to big clownshoe space marines.

I have two issues. Maybe I'm an idiot or doing it wrong but I have some brass rod and cannot for the life of me cut it. I've tried my GW snips, heavy duty kitchen shears, etc, and nothing will get through this stuff. Apart from that, I imagine the stuff I have is too thick to really use on tiny ankle joints anyway.

Anyone have either A) some tricks to use when pinning malifaux minis in particular, or B) some experience and assurance that I don't need to pin and can just glue it down well (and do all the glueing between bare metal and bare resin, before priming). And what size pinning rod would you suggest for 32mm delicate minis?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Dominion posted:

Anyone have either A) some tricks to use when pinning malifaux minis in particular, or B) some experience and assurance that I don't need to pin and can just glue it down well (and do all the glueing between bare metal and bare resin, before priming). And what size pinning rod would you suggest for 32mm delicate minis?
Unless it's a huge piece joining into another huge piece (something like dragon wings into the body) I never pin my minis. I have minis I assembled more than 20 years ago that were glued together using 2-part epoxy glue and they are still rock solid. Something that helps if just gluing is to score the surfaces with a knife first.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

InternetJunky posted:

Unless it's a huge piece joining into another huge piece (something like dragon wings into the body) I never pin my minis. I have minis I assembled more than 20 years ago that were glued together using 2-part epoxy glue and they are still rock solid. Something that helps if just gluing is to score the surfaces with a knife first.

That's how I've always done it too. But I'm not talking about huge heavy joins here, I'm talking about the opposite. Like a mini whose only contact point to the base is a single 2mm wide foot.

Is that just not worth the trouble to pin and I should just glue it as best I can and maybe reinforce with green stuff around the foot?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Dominion posted:

Like a mini whose only contact point to the base is a single 2mm wide foot.

Is that just not worth the trouble to pin and I should just glue it as best I can and maybe reinforce with green stuff around the foot?
Pinning is probably a good idea in that situation, but that is a killer pin hole to drill. Last time I tried something like that the foot came right off while drilling. Work slow and do whatever you can to prevent any movement in the metal while you drill.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Some of the Malifaux models have odd contact points for their pieces that you kind of just have to roll with. Their Victoria model has its large swords and hands attach at the wrist, which is pretty much too small to try and pin. I've broken off a sword at least 3 times now, and I'm betting it didn't take travel well. That said, if you can find a way to pin, I'd go for it.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Some of the Malifaux models have odd contact points for their pieces that you kind of just have to roll with. Their Victoria model has its large swords and hands attach at the wrist, which is pretty much too small to try and pin. I've broken off a sword at least 3 times now, and I'm betting it didn't take travel well. That said, if you can find a way to pin, I'd go for it.

I have a similar issue with my Collette crew. They are all dainty with tiny little sockets to attach to, so arms and what not keep falling off.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah it's Colette, Rasputina, and Kaeris's crews that I'm dealing with.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is a Model Air Color called "Gray Primer." I assure you it is not a primer.

I think it's called "gray primer" because of the practice during WWII of simply throwing primer onto a tank/plane (in order to prevent surface corrosion) and getting it out of the factory and into service ASAP. I believe the Russians did this mostly, but if I remember correctly, the Germans did that too towards the end of their part in the war.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Should see the back spines Infinity uses on the Bagh-Mari & Knight of Santiago, they're crazy, there just is no way to keep them on the model.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Flipswitch posted:

Should see the back spines Infinity uses on the Bagh-Mari & Knight of Santiago, they're crazy, there just is no way to keep them on the model.
You should see the poo poo soda pop minis put together. Fifteen different minuscule parts all that need to be pinned. No clue how they assembled them in the studio.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

The thing that always confuses me about Malifaux figures is that their often broken up into fiddly little pieces for no discernible goddamn reason. You can get a single figure that rests on an easily defined flat plane, and it will still be broken up. My hope is that they have severe casting restrictions, otherwise someone needs an eye-poking.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

counterspin posted:

The thing that always confuses me about Malifaux figures is that their often broken up into fiddly little pieces for no discernible goddamn reason. You can get a single figure that rests on an easily defined flat plane, and it will still be broken up. My hope is that they have severe casting restrictions, otherwise someone needs an eye-poking.

Well they are, or at least were, a very small operation. But yeah some stuff is broken up for no reason, while other great sculpts like Colette or Myranda are one solid piece.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

What can I do to cut down on the gloss from shades? I thought the wash's never did this, but I have been noticing it more and more and its driving me crazy. Would using less help, or is dull coat the only thing that helps?

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
So, modelling a Kislev army. I don't want to buy the official models because they're pretty old sculpts and are all-metal and go for a mint on ebay.

Kossars are based on Cossacks, obviously - the Ural Cossacks from what I've gathered, but there's not a lot of support for them historically. There's these guys, who are good but they're all metal monoposes and there's not many of them and they're expensive, and there's these which have the same problem.

e: Oh hey, some of the Khador troops are kind of neat. Same problems though.

They're characterised by large muscles, significant facial hair and funny hats (as well as bows and axes but there's not much to fit that in the army book). Chaos Marauders would probably have too large muscles and not enough facial hair and hats which are funny in the wrong way. Flagellants have all except the right kind of hat (and facial hair), but there's not many of the right bits in their box and they're expensive. I thought of these guys as well because of the coats and loose-fitting clothes but they've got the wrong sort of both.
The fur I'll have to sculpt on in any case I think. I hear that's easy.

Winged Lancers are easy. Considering they'll be counting as Knightly Orders I'll just use those models and deal with the fact they're significantly more armoured than usual. The helms of the historical winged hussars are pretty similar to those used by Roman legionaries and I can't imagine having trouble finding those. Wings I'll either scratchbuild or make a mould of an existing wing and trim to size and then cast.
Or I could use these but they don't look very good (and they're expensive).

Anyone got any advice, then? I might not be starting this project for a while but I really would like to.

FROOOOOOOOG fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 11, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Khorne Flakes posted:

What can I do to cut down on the gloss from shades? I thought the wash's never did this, but I have been noticing it more and more and its driving me crazy. Would using less help, or is dull coat the only thing that helps?
Matt medium should help. I have a bottle of Vallejo matt medium but I can't recall if it works as advertised. A few coats of dullcoat at the end usually does the trick no matter what though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Matte. The E is silent.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Anyone have access to a printable color blending chart similar to the Magic Palette Color Mixing Guide?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Painter's spackle textured with crumpled-then-flattened aluminium foil. I've based an entire army with a small tub and I have probably 2/3 of it left.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

$5 a gallon Joint Compound (aka drywall mud) mixed with builder's sand for texture, tacky glue for tensile strength and brown acrylic craft paint for color.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Do you have a picture of some of your bases? I'd like to see how that looks.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Silhouette posted:

$5 a gallon Joint Compound (aka drywall mud) mixed with builder's sand for texture, tacky glue for tensile strength and brown acrylic craft paint for color.

I'll second the drywall mud. It's great when you want something different then sand/glue combo.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Total gently caress up nightmare. Bath robe sculpting was for some reason very hard and came out terrible.

Couldn't get the bottom left of it right so I took it off before curing:

Added it in the next session as well as a small structure for the hair.

Ugh:

I'll have a good scrutiny of it and then remove and re sculpt what's terrible; the back of it for sure.

Edit:
UPDATE
Sort of all better now.
I think I might have been mixing the A and B compounds with a too high ratio of blue.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 11, 2012

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

So, modelling a Kislev army. I don't want to buy the official models because they're pretty old sculpts and are all-metal and go for a mint on ebay.

Kossars are based on Cossacks, obviously - the Ural Cossacks from what I've gathered, but there's not a lot of support for them historically. There's these guys, who are good but they're all metal monoposes and there's not many of them and they're expensive, and there's these which have the same problem.

e: Oh hey, some of the Khador troops are kind of neat. Same problems though.

They're characterised by large muscles, significant facial hair and funny hats (as well as bows and axes but there's not much to fit that in the army book). Chaos Marauders would probably have too large muscles and not enough facial hair and hats which are funny in the wrong way. Flagellants have all except the right kind of hat (and facial hair), but there's not many of the right bits in their box and they're expensive. I thought of these guys as well because of the coats and loose-fitting clothes but they've got the wrong sort of both.
The fur I'll have to sculpt on in any case I think. I hear that's easy.

Winged Lancers are easy. Considering they'll be counting as Knightly Orders I'll just use those models and deal with the fact they're significantly more armoured than usual. The helms of the historical winged hussars are pretty similar to those used by Roman legionaries and I can't imagine having trouble finding those. Wings I'll either scratchbuild or make a mould of an existing wing and trim to size and then cast.
Or I could use these but they don't look very good (and they're expensive).

Anyone got any advice, then? I might not be starting this project for a while but I really would like to.

You should take a visit to the historicals thread. Anyway, Foundry is very expensive, so if you want to field units without selling your kidneys, I'd check The Assault Group. http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=1

Their Renaissance range covers both Cossacks, Tatars, Hungarians, Russians and Poles, so you should be able to find most things you need. Also they are quite bulky compared to many other historical lines, so they don't look too different from GWs bulky miniatures. While they are a little bit more expensive than Perry Miniatures, I think they are cheaper than GW plastics or similarly priced.

If you want cheaper plastic cavalry to use for a basis for conversion, check out these:
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2713
12 for £18 compared to 8 for £20 from GW.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 11, 2012

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Hellbeard posted:

The Dude

When you get this guy finished, I was wondering if you'd be willing to sell resin casts of it. If so, this guy right here wants to be your first customer.

Inquisitor Lebowski would be quite awesome.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

lilljonas posted:

You should take a visit to the historicals thread. Anyway, Foundry is very expensive, so if you want to field units without selling your kidneys, I'd check The Assault Group. http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=1

Well these guys are basically fantastic. Free international shipping makes them a little more than half GW retail price per figure (:australia:). Metal and same-y but that's fine since at that price I can afford to chop them around a bit and swap/sculpt out weapons as required and get used to working with metal.

Also: with Monstrous Cavalry being the new hotness, I'm looking for bears to replace the Demigrpyhs. I know Reaper has a few and so do Scibor but I'm looking for some variety.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Khorne Flakes posted:

Haven't tried the glaze yet, but not really impressed from the end products on these either. I feel using a small amount of a shade can pull this off, though I haven't tried it, so I'm probably wrong.

The idea of the glazes is a final layer to blend everything together. Even really harsh lines between layers can be softened and look less jarring with a bit of glaze.

InternetJunky posted:

...but you're not supposed to water them down. From the GW site: "They are designed to be used straight over Citadel Base paints (and each other) without any mixing".

I think they're a strange idea (any painters who currently paint via layering aren't going to want pre-thinned paints so I'm not sure who they're targeting) but the paints seem true to their concept.

I'm guessing stupid noobs. So many kids that come into my shop don't have a clue how to paint, won't ask for advice and won't listen to any (helpful) suggestions. They just jab the brush in the pot, slap it on the model (without any primer). The amount of detail lost and huge brush strokes visible :psyduck: At least this way their models have a half decent chance of not looking quite so awful.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just realised that the new Citadel paint range has no real equivalent to Elf Flesh (the "official" equivalent is yellow based not red based), and that's what I was using as a highlight color, anyone got any non-GW suggestions for that particular shade?

Have you tried Kislev Flesh? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it looks pretty darn close to Elf Flesh, but I'll check when I get to work today.

Dominion posted:

Anyone have either A) some tricks to use when pinning malifaux minis in particular, or B) some experience and assurance that I don't need to pin and can just glue it down well (and do all the glueing between bare metal and bare resin, before priming).

I've never made Malifaux, but I find regular paperclips are usually the perfect size for pinning most things, and are easily cut with clippers.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Sole.Sushi posted:

When you get this guy finished, I was wondering if you'd be willing to sell resin casts of it. If so, this guy right here wants to be your first customer.

Inquisitor Lebowski would be quite awesome.

That sounds cool as all hell. I'd love to do it BUT:

I think you might want to wait until it's finished because it might suck.

Also I've never cast anything in resin. I have cast a metal miniature but I did have access to a metal casting shop which I don't now. I don't have the silicon for making a mold or the resin itself.

I might be able to get some materials from a friend who needs the space. I don't know if they're suitable or not.

I'll keep your offer in mind and if I have the opportunity I'll try to cast it. I can't promise anything as to how good the model will end up or if I can even cast properly.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Namenlos posted:

Have you tried Kislev Flesh? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it looks pretty darn close to Elf Flesh, but I'll check when I get to work today.

Kislev flesh is darker. It's annoying, because Elf Flesh was a lovely flesh color but was great for highlighting the desaturated orange tone I use for my Infinity dudes.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
The nickel coating (or whatever it is, the shiny stuff) on my magnets seems to be cracking and falling off. Will this have any effect on their holding strength?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I've been waiting for this part. The hair isn't quite "there" yet but it really helps the look of the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Wow, that's really starting to look like him. Nice work!

• Locked thread