Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Holy poo poo, the description on PSN says it's gonna get Monster Bash! I love Monster Bash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

robot roll call posted:

Holy poo poo, the description on PSN says it's gonna get Monster Bash! I love Monster Bash!
I'll be a happy camper if we ever get Creature from the Black Lagoon. They're part of the same license package, so hopefully it'll happen!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

I'll be a happy camper if we ever get Creature from the Black Lagoon. They're part of the same license package, so hopefully it'll happen!

Here are the likely upcoming tables taken from http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/23-Confirmed-upcoming-tables

Medieval Madness (taken from Facebook post on January 19 - One of the first DLC tables - released for Android)
Bride of Pin*Bot (taken from a FB post - One of the first DLC tables - released for Android)
Cirqus Voltaire (taken from Facebook post on December 26 - release date unknown)
Monster Bash (taken from Facebook post on February 7 - release date unknown)
Attack from Mars (taken from Facebook post on February 7 - release date unknown)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Funhouse (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Black Knight (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Space Shuttle (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Pin•bot (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Big Shot (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)
Either Dr. Dude or Earthshaker (most likely Dr. Dude - taken from Gamezone interview with Bobby King on January 29 - released within first year)
TAXI (taken from Facebook post on March 27 - release date unknown)

edit: from further into the the thread
Harley Davidson [Stern] (During the Behind The Scenes Youtube vid someone is working on the model of a toy bike feature from the table)
Elvira and the Party Monsters (""We hope to make an announcement about this soon :) Elvira and the Party Monsters is another great table!"- TPA)
Tee'd Off and No Good Gophers ("Tee'd Off is going to require developing the tech needed to ROM emulate it. We'll want to get NGG out sooner.")
Gorgar (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/05/the-pinball-arcade-hits-ps3-and-ps-vita-on-april-10th/)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 11, 2012

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I like Black Knight and all but is there a reason why there hasn't been a video game version of Black Knight 2000? Here's hoping it gets a release eventually.

How can you not love the soundtrack to this game? :allears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUTgj90iB7M&t=0m29s

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

If we're doing wishlists, then the ones I hope for are High Speed and Speakeasy, the latter only because I want everyone else to experience the annoyance I used to feel when that roulette wheel under the playfield would land on the "Subtract A Ball" space after the second ball and steal my quarter that much faster. :argh:

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

The preview shots on PSN didn't have any lighting if that's it.

My question is, does the vita version have the new lighting? Maybe my eyes are too old but it doesn't look like it.

Both vita and ps3 versions are amazing. But wow.. that lighting on my ps3 with my hdtv,...

just wow.

God drat wow.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm pretty sure the Vita version has no lighting at all, or at least way less than the 360 version.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Funhouse (taken from iOS release description on February 9 - release date unknown)

sweet funhouse. Used to play that at a liquor store all the time instead of going to first period in high school.

I still passed those classes too. Pinball is the best way to spend your time if you cut school.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Scirocco Griffon posted:

If we're doing wishlists, then the ones I hope for are High Speed and Speakeasy, the latter only because I want everyone else to experience the annoyance I used to feel when that roulette wheel under the playfield would land on the "Subtract A Ball" space after the second ball and steal my quarter that much faster. :argh:

That sounds incredibly dickish but hey, gambling. I never played that table before. Looks interesting.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm pretty sure the Vita version has no lighting at all, or at least way less than the 360 version.

ya... :( that's what I was noticing. The textures are still better than the 360 version (but I guess that's not that surprising).

I really wanted that lighting on my vita :(

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Scirocco Griffon posted:

One I really want is No Good Gofers. The highlight of this table is a rubber wheel that spins the ball unpredictably as it passes over. The reason I remember it so fondly is that the local bar I played it in spent almost no money on table upkeep so the wheel was broken as hell and would fire up randomly as you were playing. Nothing like lining up a nice shot and having that fucker curve it straight down the centre hole. If me and my buds were playing game-about the cries cursing "THE FUCKIN' WHEEL" echoed down the street. Good times.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I know it's new and the art style is photo instead of old school art style but...

I played it recently and I really liked that Tron Legacy table.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Zip posted:

I know it's new and the art style is photo instead of old school art style but...

I played it recently and I really liked that Tron Legacy table.

I wouldn't say that. Ripely's, one of the launch tables, only came out in 2003, so it seems like they aren't afraid of newer tables.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

I wouldn't say that. Ripely's, one of the launch tables, only came out in 2003, so it seems like they aren't afraid of newer tables.

Oh I wasnt speaking about P.A. although I would love to have that table there. It plays well.

I was just speaking in general. I know sometimes newer tables aren't really liked much.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Zip posted:

I was just speaking in general. I know sometimes newer tables aren't really liked much.

Why is that? Is it some nostalgia thing? I think as long as it's fun, then what does it matter how recent the table came out? My two cents though.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

beef express posted:

One I really want is No Good Gofers. The highlight of this table is a rubber wheel that spins the ball unpredictably as it passes over. The reason I remember it so fondly is that the local bar I played it in spent almost no money on table upkeep so the wheel was broken as hell and would fire up randomly as you were playing. Nothing like lining up a nice shot and having that fucker curve it straight down the centre hole. If me and my buds were playing game-about the cries cursing "THE FUCKIN' WHEEL" echoed down the street. Good times.

Sounds like you'd have a fun time with Whirlwind then. That one has THREE spinning discs in the playfield that are there specifically to screw with your shots!

And conveniently, both are on the Williams Collection if you don't have it yet. Just about every Gamestop I've been to has a copy hiding on its used 360 game racks, so it's not too impossible to track down.

Wamdoodle posted:

Why is that? Is it some nostalgia thing? I think as long as it's fun, then what does it matter how recent the table came out? My two cents though.
I'll admit that I don't like most Stern tables because they tend to feel overly busy or rely too much on video screen stuff, which I usually miss because I focus on the playfield.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

I don't really know why. I do know a lot of people complain that the art style on newer tables is kind of garbage. Stern will often go for the touched up photo looking art instead of the old school drawn feel.

Also I'm sure they have a different feel to them. I mean didn't all of the companies shut down except for Stern? :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stern designers are all old school pros from the 80s and 90s. There's no shame in liking new tables.

e: Though Batman and Avatar, the two Stern tables they have in my local movie theater use a lot of crappy action figures for decoration, which make the things look pretty cheap.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 11, 2012

Disease
Oct 6, 2011
It's disappointing to see no licensed games in that upcoming list. So many great pinball machines were licensed: Addams Family, Lord of the Rings, Twilight Zone, Wold Cup '94 ... Addams Family just by itself would be a great way for Pinball Arcade to get its foot in the door, so to speak - just about anyone that's played pinball has played that game, it's a shame they couldn't get it included as part of the base game.

Anyway I picked this up on psn and am very happy with it. I couldn't really tell much difference from the Williams collection, but that might just be because I haven't played that in over a year. Sharing leader boards between psn and mobile platforms kind of makes them strange looking; I would have appreciated being able to filter against just console players. Just played Theater of Magic for an hour or two and ended up with 2.6 billion being my best score. The wizard mode for this game is not only played with a single ball, but there's no ballsaver either - started it twice only to drain seconds later, but that's pinball for you.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I know someone was talking about how they love Black Hole earlier in the thread. I'm having the worst time getting into this table (probably because I suck terribly) but I've never played this table before I even had PA. Could anyone tell me what the appeal of this table is because it seems a bit, quiet, I guess. Its just not that exciting to me and I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing something here.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did you notice the crazy upside down mini playfield in the middle?

Disease posted:

It's disappointing to see no licensed games in that upcoming list.

You can see them working on Stern's Harley Davidson in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZdO1kTFjK0

Not the highest profile licensed table in history. Hopefully it's just the start.

edit: and reading that aforementioned thread, the devs have dropped a hint at the first Elvira game.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 11, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Zip posted:

I know someone was talking about how they love Black Hole earlier in the thread. I'm having the worst time getting into this table (probably because I suck terribly) but I've never played this table before I even had PA. Could anyone tell me what the appeal of this table is because it seems a bit, quiet, I guess. Its just not that exciting to me and I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing something here.

I know at least for me (though I was just a really really tiny guy at the time), that mini table beneath the center of the board was mind blowing. It does seem a bit sparsely decorated by today's standards, but seriously, at the time that was some crazy poo poo.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I dunno. I grew up liking tables like twilight zone and funhouse. This just seems a bit less. Also it seems just like a bar table. Just seems designed to steal all your quarters far faster than anything else. The more I play it though the more I really like the action to it. The way the ball careens out from the plunger around that corner, it's not a bad table I guess. Just doesn't have the same bells and whistles I'm used to (literally).

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Zip posted:

I dunno. I grew up liking tables like twilight zone and funhouse. This just seems a bit less. Also it seems just like a bar table. Just seems designed to steal all your quarters far faster than anything else. The more I play it though the more I really like the action to it. The way the ball careens out from the plunger around that corner, it's not a bad table I guess. Just doesn't have the same bells and whistles I'm used to (literally).

It makes sense, but Black Hole predated both of those by nearly 10 years. Truthfully I look at it now and yeah it does seem a little too sparse to seem exciting, but back then I was semi obsessed with it when I would go into 7/11.

Swabbleflange
Apr 18, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

EU has been delayed to May.

Whaaaaaaaa?

Dammit, I had $10 sitting in my US account after buying P3 FES last night, and I spent it on Metal Gear Solid. Now I gotta head back to ebay to buy another $20 PSN card? I'm not waiting another month.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
I know Pinball Arcade just came out yesterday (PS3) and it won't last to the end of the week, but I've never been on top of a leader board before...

I'm "JAK" which are my actual initials :downs:. Didn't give me time to think of something witty.

EDIT: Or, I'm an idiot and that's just local high scores with filler initials. I assumed they were platform specific scores. Still not really sure, this menu UI is horrible.

Just checked, about 700 overall, still not bad I guess.

Starhawk fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 11, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Starhawk posted:

I know Pinball Arcade just came out yesterday (PS3) and it won't last to the end of the week, but I've never been on top of a leader board before...

I'm "JAK" which are my actual initials :downs:. Didn't give me time to think of something witty.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, that's the local high score table. For online leaderboards you need to do the Facebook integration thingy.

I just picked it up on PS3 tonight and oh my goodness TOTAN looks gorgeous. So do the rest of the tables, but TOTAN makes obvious the new lighting model is definitely an improvement from Williams Collection. Looking forward to the upcoming table smorgasbord but these 4 should keep me plenty busy for a while.

Anyone that likes Black Hole's playfield gimmick should check out Haunted House.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 11, 2012

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dropped out of the 300 for Black Hole overnight :'(

Had a sick, sick game of Arabian Nights this morning before work but barely broke the top 3,000.

Spent an hour on Black Hole before bed last night and broke 300,000 once.

Pinball makes me weep.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
I also wanted to say that the table tutorials in this are awesome. It pans around the actual table and points things out and puts Zen's obtuse paragraphs of text to shame. It'll be a great way to learn real tables before spending real quarters loonies.

Starhawk fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 11, 2012

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Disease posted:

It's disappointing to see no licensed games in that upcoming list.

Creature from the Black Lagoon and Monster Bash are both licensed games, based on Universal movie monsters.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Starhawk posted:

I also wanted to say that the table tutorials in this are awesome. It pans around the actual table and points things out and puts Zen's obtuse paragraphs of text to shame. It'll be a great way to learn real tables before spending real quarters loonies.

FarSight games have always done this. Although I kinda miss the voice in the PHOF collections that would just read it to you and autoskip to the next slide. It was a great thing to watch while eating a sandwich. When I first downloaded Pinball Arcade and saw it was less than 200Mb, this was the first thing I thought of. :(

Oh, and…

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here are the likely upcoming tables taken from http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/23-Confirmed-upcoming-tables

That OP hasn't updated the list yet, but Bobby King also confirmed Gorgar recently, which is one of my all-time favorite tables for some dumb reason.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 11, 2012

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Officially confirmed - I am terrible at Pinball Arcade. I want to be good at it but I think the ball moves just different enough from the FX2 tables that it is really throwing me off. Whatever the case, I am stinking up the place whenever I try to play the demo of this one. :sigh:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Wamdoodle posted:

I used to disdain Stern tables, but I recently came around. There's a Spiderman nearby my apartment and it's fun as hell. I'm also really digging Ripleys on PA. I prefer non-licensed Williams and Bally stuff, but given the fact that this is what they have to do in order to survive, I'll deal.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Bart Fargo posted:

Officially confirmed - I am terrible at Pinball Arcade. I want to be good at it but I think the ball moves just different enough from the FX2 tables that it is really throwing me off. Whatever the case, I am stinking up the place whenever I try to play the demo of this one. :sigh:

I think you've identified your problem. Whenever I try to play some Zen game or other "for a change of pace" my ability to control the ball on real tables (and by very slight extension FarSight ones) starts to suffer. I imagine it is like how when I played competitive hockey as a youth our coach asked us not to play golf because it would gently caress with our shot.

So, did anybody here clear out all the Pinball Arcade goals yet? I have been down to just Frog Frenzy for the past three days, and I'm starting to lose hope. The best I've done in the past hundred or so attempts is five super jackpots. You need to complete six and light a seventh to start Frog Frenzy. Anybody completed this and have any tips?

I'm usually only good for between 0 and 1 SJs on the multi-ball modes, and I seem to have a lot of trouble starting either of them. My strategy has shifted lately to just whoring continents and jewels. You get a free SJ light for round-tripping, regardless of whether you "win" any of the continent modes at all, and you get an SJ light for temple jewel set A2-B2-C2. Getting a light from Bozo is a nice bonus, but you can't count on it given the rarity. I reckon this strategy will eventually carry me through the goal with a particularly good (lucky) game. But anything else I could be doing to help my cause?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beelzebozo posted:

So, did anybody here clear out all the Pinball Arcade goals yet?

I'm stuck trying to get a Harem multi-ball and have been for an age.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Ramagamma posted:

I'm stuck trying to get a Harem multi-ball and have been for an age.

Forget about sneak-ins and go for normal left orbit shots. Whenever the ball falls out of the bazaar, hold the right flipper until it comes to rest and then wait for the tiger loop light to time out and the harem light to be relit. If you accidentally spell GENIE go ahead and lock through multiball as quickly as possible to clear that light from the left orbit. Once you get the hang of making that shot from a dead standstill you should be able to start harem with a little patience. If you're having difficulty with that goal I have some bad news for you… TotAN is the easiest wizard set by at least a factor of two.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Beelzebozo posted:

:words:
It also helps to start the "Sinbad and the Rocs" mode which disables tiger loops on the left.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Stern designers are all old school pros from the 80s and 90s. There's no shame in liking new tables.

e: Though Batman and Avatar, the two Stern tables they have in my local movie theater use a lot of crappy action figures for decoration, which make the things look pretty cheap.

A lot of the dislike for new tables comes from the fact that Stern was using cheaper parts and cutting out popular features to save money.

Jersey Jack seem to be setting themselves up to be the anti-Stern in that respect.

However it appears the competition factor has caused Stern to step up their game with the last couple tables, particularly the Limited Editions.

And I don't think anybody can really say much bad about Lord of The Rings or Simpsons Pinball Party, Stern's 2 best.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

DarthXaos posted:

A lot of the dislike for new tables comes from the fact that Stern was using cheaper parts and cutting out popular features to save money.

Jersey Jack seem to be setting themselves up to be the anti-Stern in that respect.

However it appears the competition factor has caused Stern to step up their game with the last couple tables, particularly the Limited Editions.

And I don't think anybody can really say much bad about Lord of The Rings or Simpsons Pinball Party, Stern's 2 best.

I kind of wondered about that after watching sp1data's review of the Transformers tables on Youtube, and he pointed out multiple off the shelf, cheap Transformers toys used on it. It wouldn't have been so bad but there are multiple instances of the ball joints from where they just pulled appendages off and stuck them on the table were evident. Maybe this was common practice on licensed tables in general and I'm not aware of it, but it definitely made the table come off as cheap and kind of janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Hm, so it's safe to say that PS3 is the "lead platform" for Pinball Arcade? That's the only scenario in which I'd buy a game for PS3 over 360. I'm kinda glad if that's the case actually; I like the idea of having all my FX tables on one console and all my PA stuff on another (Xbox Williams Collection notwithstanding). I've gotten a decent amount of Pinball videogames by now but I try to avoid getting redundant tables (only real reason I've avoided Pinball Arcade on the iPhone).