Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm happy to hear it but I remain somewhat pessimistic about a release soon, as those guys tend to do the "it'll be out next week" and then nothing for years sort of stuff sometimes. I realize that "stuck at 90%" is a common and understandable happenstance of translation hacking...I just don't get my hopes up on these things until they're actually out, I guess.

Here's hoping though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Yeah, Gideon Zhi does some great work, but there are several projects that he has said before he was planning to have released by the end of the year, and then 5 years later still nothing. *cough demon of laplace cough*

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

mrfreeze posted:

I didn't see anyone else post this, but for those who don't know, Gideon Zhi will be releasing a translation of SMT: If shortly. Info and eventual release will be here: http://agtp.romhack.net

Oh hell yes! I always wanted to play If. :allears:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

mrfreeze posted:

Yeah, Gideon Zhi does some great work, but there are several projects that he has said before he was planning to have released by the end of the year, and then 5 years later still nothing. *cough demon of laplace cough*

I was just thinking of making this exact same post. What are you, a mind reader?

Last I heard, Laplace is in the "editing the script for readability" stages. This was... a year and a half ago?

That game looks so interesting.

---

What I am essentially trying to say is, nobody should get their hopes up for an SMT if... release anytime soon.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 8, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tallgeese posted:

I was just thinking of making this exact same post. What are you, a mind reader?

Last I heard, Laplace is in the "editing the script for readability" stages. This was... a year and a half ago?

That game looks so interesting.

It's actually pretty terrible. It's a crappy old first person dungeon crawler based on a tabletop system that they decided to remake in third person after playing too much Phantasy Star. I can understand if you're playing a PC88 first person dungeon crawler and all the rooms look the same, because, you know, technical limitations, but there's no excuse for an RPG on the SNES released in 1995 to look like this. The music is bad (I hope you like listening to the same dreary noise tune the entire game, because there's only like one dungeon theme!).

It does look interesting. It's a game you want to be good. It isn't. It simply exists as a weird proto-Koudelka (just as the sequel, Das Schwert De Paracelsus/Paracelsus no Maken, exists as a weird proto-Shadow Hearts).

Catalina posted:

Whoo! That's awesome! Thanks for posting the news! I always wanted to try SMT: If because it had a female protagonist option. And a Jack Frost in a school uniform. Plus, all the people complain about the game system's weaknesses made me want to try it even harder.

Tell me how you like the dungeon that is, I kid you not, just walking around in circles for like eight lunar cycles. :allears:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
TurnipFritter does have a point, incidentally: be careful looking to if... as some lost classic in the series, it was very much an experimental title that did a few cool things (a few of which basically became the early Persona template with some tweaks) and a lot of things that will make you go "why am I even playing this" because it's busywork.

In fact I'm just going to recommend a few of you go find the film it seems to be referencing and watch that instead, you'll have a better time. (Or at least watch that during the grindier cycles of the game, you'll definitely have time to finish the film.)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Tell me how you like the dungeon that is, I kid you not, just walking around in circles for like eight lunar cycles. :allears:

That sounds horrible. I can't wait to try it! :neckbeard:

And I am somewhat serious. When I find a game compelling, hearing people tell about the horrible parts makes me want to play even more. The gleeful masochist in me must love that moment when you declare "gently caress you" and throw the game across the room. ( Earlier in this thread, I was getting jealous of all the people with Devil Survivor 2 complaining about all the bullshit it pulled.) Thankfully, the SMT series is always happy to oblige.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

For what it's worth though, the PSX version of if... has some ballin artwork:

(Nothing in the game looks even remotely this cool)

edit: And I appreciate that Gideon isn't using that godawful font he used in SMT1 and SMT2.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 8, 2012

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm happy to hear it but I remain somewhat pessimistic about a release soon, as those guys tend to do the "it'll be out next week" and then nothing for years sort of stuff sometimes. I realize that "stuck at 90%" is a common and understandable happenstance of translation hacking...I just don't get my hopes up on these things until they're actually out, I guess.

Here's hoping though!

I dunno, it wouldn't surprise me if in this case it didn't take so long. After all SMT if... is basically a glorified romhack of SMT2, which they already did. I doubt it would be that much harder to hack it.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

TurnipFritter does have a point, incidentally: be careful looking to if... as some lost classic in the series, it was very much an experimental title that did a few cool things (a few of which basically became the early Persona template with some tweaks) and a lot of things that will make you go "why am I even playing this" because it's busywork.

Pretty much this. Overall if... is just not a very good game. It's of interest as a transition title--its influence on Devil Summoner (the Saturn one, not the PS2 one) and Persona 1 is obvious but aside from that it really doesn't have much going for it. The core scenario is pretty weak and while the "secret" one seems a little better, you have to beat the game once to play it and by then you might not want to bother. (I didn't, at least not enough to see it all the way through)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

TurnipFritter posted:

It's actually pretty terrible. It's a crappy old first person dungeon crawler based on a tabletop system that they decided to remake in third person after playing too much Phantasy Star. I can understand if you're playing a PC88 first person dungeon crawler and all the rooms look the same, because, you know, technical limitations, but there's no excuse for an RPG on the SNES released in 1995 to look like this. The music is bad (I hope you like listening to the same dreary noise tune the entire game, because there's only like one dungeon theme!).

It does look interesting. It's a game you want to be good. It isn't. It simply exists as a weird proto-Koudelka (just as the sequel, Das Schwert De Paracelsus/Paracelsus no Maken, exists as a weird proto-Shadow Hearts).

Just to make sure, you are talking about Laplace's Demon, right?

Eh, I'll try it anyway. A lot of people said Dark Law was going to be hellish, but my girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Genpei Turtle posted:

I dunno, it wouldn't surprise me if in this case it didn't take so long. After all SMT if... is basically a glorified romhack of SMT2, which they already did. I doubt it would be that much harder to hack it.

Last I heard about if... (a couple of years back), the text compression the game used was some kind of incomprehensible nightmare that nobody had much faith in understanding well enough to hack. If they've overcome that hurdle, though...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TurnipFritter posted:

Blonde dude in front always make me think of the movie Hackers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Genpei Turtle posted:

Pretty much this. Overall if... is just not a very good game. It's of interest as a transition title--its influence on Devil Summoner (the Saturn one, not the PS2 one) and Persona 1 is obvious but aside from that it really doesn't have much going for it. The core scenario is pretty weak and while the "secret" one seems a little better, you have to beat the game once to play it and by then you might not want to bother. (I didn't, at least not enough to see it all the way through)

Its clear influence on Persona 1 isn't even necessarily a point in its favor as far as I'm concerned; P1 is a pretty painful game to play these days. It's kind of amazing how much better P2 (which I still consider a high point of the entire series) is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TurnipFritter posted:

(Nothing in the game looks even remotely this cool)

Dang, does if... take place in The Valley of the Dolls or something?

I also really miss that crazy kind of art in that second picture.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Just to make sure, you are talking about Laplace's Demon, right?

Eh, I'll try it anyway. A lot of people said Dark Law was going to be hellish, but my girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes. You should go ahead and play it, but you might want to curb your enthusiasm.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Its clear influence on Persona 1 isn't even necessarily a point in its favor as far as I'm concerned; P1 is a pretty painful game to play these days. It's kind of amazing how much better P2 (which I still consider a high point of the entire series) is.

Honestly I think P1 compares favorably to if... in terms of storyline and setting (and gameplay).

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 9, 2012

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I've been on a SMT kick these past few months eating up all the PS2 games, as I haven't played/finished any of them. I put off DDS2 till near the last of the lineup of games, as a few people have mentioned to do here, but played it before FES because I really liked DDS1 and wanted to play more of it. Although I've been playing P3P while away from the TV, haha. Can't get away from SMT.

I literally just beat DDS2 not half an hour ago, and honestly I feel sorry that it was so bad. It's such a shame, I kind of regret playing it just from the story alone. The gameplay wasn't that great either, in comparison to DDS1 and Nocturne, and the dungeons/bosses were sort of forgettable. I just checked the MegaTen wiki and it says Schrödinger is never really clarified in the story, so to me it seems like he's just a convenient plot device to help Seraph gain enlightenment. A little disappointing because I thought they were being cryptic about his character, kind of like how Nocturne is minimalistic in its descriptions.

Just came to post that, sorry no awesome news to post about Persona.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I just checked the MegaTen wiki and it says Schrödinger is never really clarified in the story, so to me it seems like he's just a convenient plot device to help Seraph gain enlightenment.

Well, the name Schroedinger being attached to something ambiguous and left up to the player is hardly surprising. In fact, I think the lack of clarification is part of the intent.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

About Schroedinger:

It's most probable that he is what Seraph becomes at the end, an enlightened bodhisativa. Basically, a bodhisativa is someone who achieves enlightenment, but decides to stay behind in the world for the purposes of helping others achieve that same state..

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Has the price drop for the persona 2 & 3:P game on the US PSN crawled over to the EU PSN and my store hasn't updated or something?

Also, is the EU PSN getting P3 this week too?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tithin Melias posted:

Also, is the EU PSN getting P3 this week too?
I wouldn't bet too highly on that, That's Koei's deal to decide (and besides that, I wouldn't want the 50htz version of any PSX/2 game, that's about as mug as game as you can play in these digital times that I'm unfortunately dealing with now with FFIX) I'd set up a US PSN account and do things via Prepaid cards.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So I got the Megaten bug and ordered P3:FES. I got the impression it's relatively easy to screw yourself out of social links in that game, especially with dating multiple girls. If I just barge in without any plan, will I miss out on some awesome content? Essentially what I'm asking is if I should just use a guide or if that would take the fun out of it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Amppelix posted:

So I got the Megaten bug and ordered P3:FES. I got the impression it's relatively easy to screw yourself out of social links in that game, especially with dating multiple girls. If I just barge in without any plan, will I miss out on some awesome content? Essentially what I'm asking is if I should just use a guide or if that would take the fun out of it.

Don't expect to max out every social link on your first playthrough, the timing is very tight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Amppelix posted:

Rather than max out all the links, it's better to know which are the best ones to max out in the first place. It's just too difficult to do them all without a guide.

By the way, these ones are in my opinion the following: Emperor, Chariot, Strength, Star, and Aeon. This isn't including arcana that will be maxed out automatically like Fool and Judgement of course.

Otherwise have fun, go crazy. Just try not to juggle too many girlfriends at once, lest you want a link to get reversed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

"Best" as in storywise or gameplaywise? Do the links even do anything besides an exp bonus and an ultimate persona at the end?

(Disclaimer: My only experience with Persona is watching the Giant Bomb endurance run of 4)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Amppelix posted:

"Best" as in storywise or gameplaywise? Do the links even do anything besides an exp bonus and an ultimate persona at the end?

(Disclaimer: My only experience with Persona is watching the Giant Bomb endurance run of 4)

That is indeed all they do outside of story, but some of the ultimate persona are better than the others.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, the ones I listed were for gameplay reasons. For example Emperor's final persona, Odin, makes the secret boss a lot easier. Or Star's final persona being one half of the duo necessary to cast Armageddon.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 11, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The XP bonus shoudn't be underrated, either. With a maxed out S Link it's something like 5 instant free levels to anything you fuse of that arcana. And if you think you might do a New Game+, note that the key items for maxing a Link and your Compendium are among the things that carry over, so try to focus on the ones you didn't finish the first time in NG+.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

Rather than max out all the links, it's better to know which are the best ones to max out in the first place. It's just too difficult to do them all without a guide.

By the way, these ones are in my opinion the following: Emperor, Chariot, Strength, Star, and Aeon. This isn't including arcana that will be maxed out automatically like Fool and Judgement of course.

Otherwise have fun, go crazy. Just try not to juggle too many girlfriends at once, lest you want a link to get reversed.

Yeah it better to max social links for people you like or need the bonus from. Probably get Persona 3 FES back tonight and certainly not going to bother with the Gouemat King again (hate that character so much).

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ok, I'm to day two in Devil Survivor 2 and Keita and Hinako have been introduced. At this point, I'm impressed with the level of polish in DS2 compared to 1, but I'm really getting the impression that somewhere along the line they decided to ramp the ~*ANIME*~^_^!!! up by 10.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Catalina posted:

Ok, I'm to day two in Devil Survivor 2 and Keita and Hinako have been introduced. At this point, I'm impressed with the level of polish in DS2 compared to 1, but I'm really getting the impression that somewhere along the line they decided to ramp the ~*ANIME*~^_^!!! up by 10.

Yep, pretty much.

The more the game goes on, the more you start noticing the uncomfortable similarities to Evangelion, too.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Seems like Chie's being recast in Arena, which isn't TOO surprising, her voice actor isn't really a big voice actor necessarily. She's being played by Erin Fitzgerald who did Erica from Catherine, who I did like so it hopefully should be good... I'm just wondering if they have to rerecord every single line in Golden now though, because I assume the original VA is not going to be in Golden either.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cityinthesea posted:

Seems like Chie's being recast in Arena, which isn't TOO surprising, her voice actor isn't really a big voice actor necessarily. She's being played by Erin Fitzgerald who did Erica from Catherine, who I did like so it hopefully should be good... I'm just wondering if they have to rerecord every single line in Golden now though, because I assume the original VA is not going to be in Golden either.

Such a shame, as I really did like Chie's voice, even if "Aha, is this our chance?" sounded so bad at times.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

KataraniSword posted:

Yep, pretty much.

The more the game goes on, the more you start noticing the uncomfortable similarities to Evangelion, too.

Especially since they hired the artist who designed some of the angels for Eva to design the septentriones.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Neeksy posted:

Especially since they hired the artist who designed some of the angels for Eva to design the septentriones.

This explains so much. :psyduck:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Neeksy posted:

Speaking of the spoiler, I'm kinda mad that the anguished one turned into some sort of weird cube I would have preferred to do the whole thing as he is instead of the spoiler.

Catalina posted:

Given the whole (I *think* day 4?) Shiva/Kama affair it's an anime increase of about 100

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
The Kama thing comes off as a complete mockery of the events, though. It's completely nonserious.

Shiva's a bit more straight, but it's also less ridiculous.

Also, it'll never get as anime as Midori.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 12, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, Chie's VA not coming back is a bummer, but I can't complain about the replacement. I thought Fitzgerald did a great job as Erica in Catherine.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dragongem posted:

Speaking of the spoiler, I'm kinda mad that the anguished one turned into some sort of weird cube I would have preferred to do the whole thing as he is instead of the spoiler.

One time when I fought him, he turned into the cube, then into some sort of spiky thing. Only once, so I don't know if it's some specific path thing or just if you get him to low health rather than knocking him down outright.

The best thing about the (day 4)Shiva/Kama thing is where Kama says something along the lines of "Don't you know what Shiva does? He explodes things!" Makes me laugh every time.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

McDragon posted:

One time when I fought him, he turned into the cube, then into some sort of spiky thing. Only once, so I don't know if it's some specific path thing or just if you get him to low health rather than knocking him down outright.

It's a health trigger on all routes, at 50% HP he changes into the spike form, and then after a few turns turns back into the cube to attempt to heal with his Life Lift passive in that form, then back into the spike form and repeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I will not mouse over those spoilers, I will not mouse over those spoilers...

But wow, I got to the day 2 boss and got my rear end kicked hard. That was definitely a wake up call, and I'm really impressed with how I'm going to have to go back and make up a strategy. In DS1 I managed to coast along pretty far by just grinding until I had fused one of every kind of demon at my current level. Most of DS1's strategy involved getting the right demons to work around the idiotic NPC AI during missions.

DS2 throws a really hard boss at you pretty fast! As it is, I'm really enjoying the fact it's hard, and it's going to be strategic fight that makes me watch multiple points on the map, and how you can't just grind up to become a higher level than the boss and...:swoon: Though I'm glad I played DS1 first, and I'm glad that Devil Survivor 2 wasn't my second Shin Megami Tensei game. I can't imagine going from Persona 4 straight to DS2 and getting to this fight.