Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got a 512 kvm from buyvm.net a few weeks ago and it is the most responsive vps I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

nescience posted:

Want to figure out how to set up my own mail server (as opposed to being practical and just getting Google Apps). Anyone have any suggestions against Postfix?

Any reason you don't want to use Postfix? I would certainly recommend it over the alternatives (qmail, sendmail god forbid, etc)

Edit: This might be one of the funnier things I've seen on wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

Sendmail, an extremely popular and somewhat beloved[citation needed] piece of Unix software.

orphean fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 31, 2012

Monkeyspit
Mar 4, 2004

The fact is: The fish got changed more often than the water

Comradephate posted:

Re: Domains.

It's not Godaddy being dicks, here's a rough outline of the process.

Active -> expired (will generally still function, can be renewed within UP TO 60 days, generally less, at no additional cost) -> pending deletion/reactivation period (Can generally be renewed at a STEEP penalty, varies by registrar. The two registrars we primarily use are DirectI and eNom. DirectI charges $85, eNom charges $250.) -> Deleted (The domain can be re-registered. Keep in mind there are certain SEO benefits to having an older registration date, and that at this point anyone can re-register your domain, not just you.)

Godaddy will likely not hold the domain indefinitely, unless it is a "good" domain, and then when it expires they may re-register it automatically, I don't know their policies, or the legalities.

Typically domains can be transferred up to about two weeks before they expire, after that most registrars won't even try, because if the transfer does not complete before the domain expires, it can potentially be lost completely, however, there's no ICANN policy on how far away from the expiration you have to stop accepting transfers. Another one you may run into: domains cannot be transferred within 60 days of registration or transfer (also possibly renewal, I'm not sure)

Actually this is how it works (I'll just use .com/.net/.org domains here which tends to apply to most gTLDs (.info, .biz, and the like) but many ccTLDs (.es, .de, and the like) will have different rules regarding expiration and transfer)

The domain expires and goes into the 'renewal grace period' for 40 days. During that 40 days you should be able to renew the domain for the normal price (in fact, the registrar has already paid the registry for the renewal during this period as all domains are auto-renewed at the registry). Also during this 40 day period your registrar must allow you to transfer away if you want. You'll likely have to piss and moan and get them to unlock the domain and get the auth code, but ICANN regulations require they allow it.

40 days after expiration the domain goes into the Redemption period (and the registrar is credited for the auto renewal they paid on the domain). Once it's in the redemption period, you're hosed and they will charge you out the rear end to recover the domain. It stays in the redemption period for 30 days before going into Pending Deletion status for 5 days. After that it is deleted completely and available for registration by anyone.

Here's a nice tricky part, too. If you renew the domain after the domain expires, but before the redemption period (i.e. during the renewal grace period) and try and transfer the domain away within 40 days of the date it expired, you will lose the year you just paid for with the renewal (this has to do with the way the registry auto renewal system works).

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

So a domain I've had my eye on for a while just went into PendingDelete status and should be available in 4 or 5 days.

The previous website was never setup so it never got any traffic - will I be fine just waiting and trying to get it in a few days or are the majority of domains that are deleted snatched up by squatters these days?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

NeuroticErotica posted:

So a domain I've had my eye on for a while just went into PendingDelete status and should be available in 4 or 5 days.

The previous website was never setup so it never got any traffic - will I be fine just waiting and trying to get it in a few days or are the majority of domains that are deleted snatched up by squatters these days?

They're picked up automatically by bots

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Hey guys, need some advice

I've been messing around with a Minecraft server hosted on a mac mini I have sitting here in my house. It's been working okay, but of course my home connection really isn't suited for any kind of server hosting.

Playing around with it got me onto the idea of getting a cheap VPS for me to host a small Minecraft server, a personal website, and basically just be a server for me to tool around with and experiment on. I don't imagine it getting much traffic at all or any point in the near future, it's more just for my personal enjoyment.

I also don't have a problem diving into the nitty gritty of things, in fact I have fun learning about this stuff and that's why I just want something to play with that has a decent connection behind it.

I've skimmed the last 5 or so pages of this thread and the OP, and it seems like BuyVM would've been perfect for me. Unfortunately looks like I missed the boat on their stock refresh, so now I'm leaning toward linode. The only issue I have is that it starts at $20/month and I was targeting $10/month if possible.

Any other recommendations? Is VPS overkill for this kind of thing? Shared hosting seems like a no go because I want something where I can configure everything myself and do (mostly) whatever I want with it. To be honest the Minecraft server isn't a huge deal, if it can't be hosted on the VPS I don't really mind.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 10, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm pretty sure Minecraft servers need lots of RAM so you really should determine right from the start whether or not this is something you really want to host on your vps. Basically, you need to figure out your hardware requirements (memory, cpu, and disk) and then you can go shopping.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DNova posted:

I'm pretty sure Minecraft servers need lots of RAM so you really should determine right from the start whether or not this is something you really want to host on your vps. Basically, you need to figure out your hardware requirements (memory, cpu, and disk) and then you can go shopping.

they also pound io disgustingly afaik

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Right, knowing that and reading the ToS where anything that pounds resources too heavily is frowned upon it sounds like it's not a good fit. That's fine, it can sit on the mac mini.

I'm still interested in getting a VPS for playing with. I guess I was just looking for confirmation to see if I was on the right track with Linode or whether there was something that suited me for cheaper. For what I'm doing I can't see needing any more than 256-512 MB of RAM and 10 GB of disk space, for the moment anyway.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Biowarfare posted:

They're picked up automatically by bots

To update: This one fell through clear and I snatched it up without a backorder!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DarkJC posted:

Right, knowing that and reading the ToS where anything that pounds resources too heavily is frowned upon it sounds like it's not a good fit. That's fine, it can sit on the mac mini.

I'm still interested in getting a VPS for playing with. I guess I was just looking for confirmation to see if I was on the right track with Linode or whether there was something that suited me for cheaper. For what I'm doing I can't see needing any more than 256-512 MB of RAM and 10 GB of disk space, for the moment anyway.

Unfortunately you're going to want dedicated CPUs and probably run in a ramdisk too

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DarkJC posted:

I've been messing around with a Minecraft server hosted on a mac mini I have sitting here in my house. It's been working okay, but of course my home connection really isn't suited for any kind of server hosting.

Playing around with it got me onto the idea of getting a cheap VPS for me to host a small Minecraft server, a personal website, and basically just be a server for me to tool around with and experiment on. I don't imagine it getting much traffic at all or any point in the near future, it's more just for my personal enjoyment.

They sell minecraft specific hosting you know.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
The entire InMotion east coast data center is down: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/news/general/east-coast-data-center

I'm scared to move to any other hosting, but for new sites I'm looking at Wiredtree.

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 10, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

They sell minecraft specific hosting you know.

Should I just edit out the Minecraft part that apparently blinds people from the rest of the post? I don't want just a Minecraft server. In fact, it sounds like a Minecraft server is a bad match for a VPS, so I even said to forget it in a subsequent post.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

DarkJC posted:

Should I just edit out the Minecraft part that apparently blinds people from the rest of the post? I don't want just a Minecraft server. In fact, it sounds like a Minecraft server is a bad match for a VPS, so I even said to forget it in a subsequent post.

Browse the offers section at webhostingtalk.com's forums. There are some coupons and deals and tons of competition. It's a great starting point when shopping for hosting.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I have no idea where to ask this, so I suppose this is as good as a place as any.

I need to host a webinar. Less than 25 people. What are the best options?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

eightysixed posted:

I have no idea where to ask this, so I suppose this is as good as a place as any.

possibly join.me

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

eightysixed posted:

You can get 30 days free of GoToMeeting... It's not for 25 people but maybe paying for a month is an option.

* Host unlimited free online meetings from a Mac® or PC
* Attendees join free from a Mac, PC, iPad®, iPhone® or Android device
* Up to 15 attendees per meeting
* Free product training and 24/7 support

http://www.gotomeeting.com/fec/

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

join.me allows up to 250 participants even in the free version. 14 day trial of the pro version but you might not even need it.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

DNova posted:

join.me allows up to 250 participants even in the free version. 14 day trial of the pro version but you might not even need it.

Never used it for that sort of thing. Might have to give it a try.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

DNova posted:

I'll look into this, thanks. I was trying to avoid UStream, or similiar places :(

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

eightysixed posted:

Going to risk being called dumb, but would a private Google+ hangout work? Although I don't know if 25 screens will fit.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

nescience posted:

Going to risk being called dumb, but would a private Google+ hangout work? Although I don't know if 25 screens will fit.

I don't think I want to fool around with G+. Even so, wouldn't that require the users to be a member of Google+?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Yeah it would, don't do that

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

DNova posted:

Browse the offers section at webhostingtalk.com's forums. There are some coupons and deals and tons of competition. It's a great starting point when shopping for hosting.

Thanks much!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
This is usually a longshot on getting a good answer, but can anyone recommend a quality host for ColdFusion 8 + MSSQL websites?

Long story, but right now I've got a few Managed Servers from Rackspace for my company. We used to do our own hardware, but a catastrophic failure wound up needing a quick fix, so we transitioned everything over to a fairly expensive setup through Rackspace. It's actually been fine and without any issues, but I want an exit strategy. There's about 400 ColdFusion sites across a handful of servers. Most are pretty low end stuff that have a few dynamic systems, though a few are pretty meaty sites with a lot of custom code.

We're transitioning to WordPress and PHP sites from here on out (and converting those smaller CF sites where customers allow), but that's a lot of legacy sites we can't just ignore. With ColdFusion licensing being so absurdly expensive, coupled with the fact that the CF servers are Win2K3 and that'll be problematic with IPv6 when it rears its head fully, I want to be able to present my boss with a few scenarios to reduce the work or get out of it entirely.

Bonus points if the host has some sort of reseller interface so that I don't have to individually manage 400 sets of credentials, but not really a requirement if that can't happen.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

DarkJC posted:

Thanks much!

I probably shouldn't have to but just in case: be VERY careful about fly-by-nights on that forum. Check their history, reviews, etc. Linode is excellent but you pay a disproportional premium for it, imo.

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

DarkJC posted:

I was in your shoes a few months back, except to complicate things I had a requirement of Windows Server 2008 for a project I was working on. Ended up picking up a pretty basic (512 Ram/20GB HD) Burst.Net VPS for less then $65 / Year and aside from some small hiccups it's been humming along just fine on light-duty ever since. You might want to take a look their way so long as you're not running anything critical on the box, since they have a reputation of overselling a bit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

When datacenter X says "redundant internet connections from 4 providers", does that mean all the IP's are redundant between connections? So even my single co-located server will stay running if their Cogent line gets hit by a backhoe, the traffic just shifts over to their Level 3 line?

Or, does that mean if I get a fancypants router (and know what I'm doing) I can set that up myself with the ISP's? But I have to pay for access on both lines?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Bob Morales posted:

When datacenter X says "redundant internet connections from 4 providers", does that mean all the IP's are redundant between connections? So even my single co-located server will stay running if their Cogent line gets hit by a backhoe, the traffic just shifts over to their Level 3 line?

Or, does that mean if I get a fancypants router (and know what I'm doing) I can set that up myself with the ISP's? But I have to pay for access on both lines?

It can depend on the provider. I've worked with data centers that automatically handle the routing. They'll shift traffic from one provider to another if there is an outage or scheduled maintenance. The best thing to do is ask their sales team. There isn't a general rule that all providers follow regarding this topic.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

DarkJC posted:

Definitely check out intovps.com

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a way to encrypt your data (MySQL, actually) so that the people at your host (Rackspace or whoever) can't read it?

I realize if the key is stored on the server somewhere, anyone with physical access can read it, but auditors don't seem to understand that. They think the solution is "don't allow the hosting company to access server X" which kinda defeats the purpose of managed server hosting.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Disk encryption so they can't boot to single user mode and copy it off?

* If your box needs a reboot hopefully you have KVM or they have the passwodr

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a way to encrypt your data (MySQL, actually) so that the people at your host (Rackspace or whoever) can't read it?

I realize if the key is stored on the server somewhere, anyone with physical access can read it, but auditors don't seem to understand that. They think the solution is "don't allow the hosting company to access server X" which kinda defeats the purpose of managed server hosting.

If you have full access to the server then disk encryption, otherwise encrypt the data before it's sent to the database.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Disk encryption so they can't boot to single user mode and copy it off?

* If your box needs a reboot hopefully you have KVM or they have the passwodr

That's the easy solution but I don't want to be called at 3am when someone needs the password to reboot a server.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

I guess it depends on exactly why you need the data secured, but there's an extremely high chance that nobody at the host cares about your data. I have never felt anything but inconvenienced when I had to look through a customer's data/code to find out what they hosed up. Incidentally, I have never found a graceful way to tell customers that the reason they don't need to worry about their privacy is that I don't give a poo poo about their data.

If you want this because someone higher up wants it, you'd probably be better off trying to change his/her mind. If you want it because the data truly is that valuable/sensitive, you probably either need to colo with a locked cage, or host in-house.

At least, that's my take on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Comradephate posted:

I guess it depends on exactly why you need the data secured, but there's an extremely high chance that nobody at the host cares about your data. I have never felt anything but inconvenienced when I had to look through a customer's data/code to find out what they hosed up. Incidentally, I have never found a graceful way to tell customers that the reason they don't need to worry about their privacy is that I don't give a poo poo.

If you want this because someone higher up wants it, you'd probably be better off trying to change his/her mind. If you want it because the data truly is that valuable/sensitive, you probably either need to colo with a locked cage, or host in-house.

At least, that's my take on it.

It's on some dipshit auditors checklist. We already explained that Rackspace employees don't get bored and browse customer databases or they'd get fired and it would embarrass Rackspace.

I suggested we stick the mysql files and logs on an encrypted partition. But they basically said they don't want anyone to be able to go to a console and do 'select * from customers'. The thing is our database and apps aren't really designed for that level of access control.

We're probably going to end up with something like this:

http://www.gazzang.com/

Basically looks like a wrapper for eCryptFS so that unless an admin knows your encryption key, they can't browse your files. I'm not sure how that stops the admin from just sudoing/su'ing to the user the mysqld runs at and looking at stuff though.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Yeah, it seems to me that if the information is accessible in any way through the website or a customer account, a person with root access to the server could obtain that information if he wanted to.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Looking for VPS hosting (proper virtualization, not a chroot jail) that allows IRC traffic and isn't totally lovely. Are my choices pretty much wait for buyvm.net to have more stock, or Linode? The website(s) won't be mission critical or high traffic, 512MB RAM should be plenty, don't need them to keep backups. Bonus points if they have Centos 6.

E: drat my awful memory, I already forgot I had posted in this thread. Didn't mean to post twice in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
http://en.edis.at/ lets people run IRC servers. But only on their Ausrian and Russian servers. Fairly cheap too.