Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coupon
Jun 12, 2002

Who we are: ShopIgniter, Inc.
Where: Portland, OR
Title: Senior Software Engineer
Job Posting: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sof/2931642315.html
Description (from the craigslist ad):

quote:

ShopIgniter is seeking a full-time software engineer who would like to join our brilliant development team. We look for those who would like to join a small team and make a big difference.

## Specifically, we're looking for:

* Minimum 7 years software development experience (in the 'Web' arena preferred).
* PHP does not need to be your 'primary' language but we are looking for a minimum 4 years experience with it.
* Ability to move fast, in a controlled fashion leaving a trail of maintainable, tested, and extensible code.
* Working knowledge and experience with building MVC based systems.
* Understanding of RESTful architecture.
* Familiar with Unit testing
* Intermediate + skilled with git
* Proficient working with related web technologies. i.e. Db's, Web Servers, Js, etc.

## Bonus Points

* Experience with:
* Amazon Web Services
* NoSQL technologies
* Jenkins based Continuous Integration and Inspection workflows
* Building RESTful servers and/or clients

ShopIgniter, a venture funded start-up located in Portland, OR, provides a next generation social commerce platform for physical retail, branded website and social channels.

The engineering team of 10 is mostly senior heavy. This position would be pathed to be an architect of the system and work closely with our Senior Application Architect.

We can relocate and if you know someone that fits this job posting, I'm also offering a bounty on this position. PM me for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
:siren:

OP here.

Life has gotten really busy and I don't really the time to keep up with postings anymore. If somebody else wants to maintain the listings in either a post or something off-site, I'll be happy to update the OP and link to that. I'd love to see this thing keep going, but I just don't have the time to drive it anymore.

Thanks for all the support!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yarf.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 20, 2013

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

brc64 posted:

:siren:

OP here.

Life has gotten really busy and I don't really the time to keep up with postings anymore. If somebody else wants to maintain the listings in either a post or something off-site, I'll be happy to update the OP and link to that. I'd love to see this thing keep going, but I just don't have the time to drive it anymore.

Thanks for all the support!

Eh, let's give it a try: SH/SC Job Fair spreadsheet.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

boo_radley posted:

Can't edit it.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

wins32767 posted:

Can't edit it.

OK, try again :downs:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Me - looking for a position more in the SH side rather than the SC side, but can work in either -

Languages written: assembly (can pick up new ones without a problem - current experience includes x86 ring0/ring3 on linux, windows, and FreeBSD as well as realmode and firmware environments, 8080/z80/8085, Itanium on Windows and Linux in both kernel and user environments), C (user apps and Windows/Linux/FreeBSD drivers), C++, Python, Boost.Python, a little PHP, some shell scripting, in-circuit debugger/emulator scripting, a bit of CUPL, some VHDL, RTL, etc. I am also familiar with mixed-language programming (generally C and assembly, I have also used Python/C++/C/assembly within a single project.)

Hardware: basic RF systems experience & design knowledge; 8052; z80; 8080/8085; AVR; x86; skilled in PCB design; reverse engineering; automotive electronics systems engineering; general embedded systems engineering; component selection and procurement; some FPGA experience in a Xilinx shop. Skilled in post-silicon validation and debugging of obscure processor and prototype firmware + system board hardware issues using oscilloscopes and logic analyzers, with or without original design documentation and source code.

Bus protocols: deep working knowledge of Intel QPI, PCI, PC/104, PC/104+, JTAG, RS232, RS422, somewhat familiar with PCI-express.

Networking: basic knowledge of IP, BGP, HTTP, FTP, etc. Know enough about Cisco to break everything when set loose with enable.

Systems Administration: basic Linux/FreeBSD/Windows SA, certified to wear "no, I will not fix your computer." T-shirt

Mechanical: soldering (manual w/ standard or hot air stations, torches, anywhere from 25mil spacing SMT processes to 0awg cable termination and pipe sweating); milling machine usage; lathes; drill press; metalwork including FCAW & GMAW welding, soldering, and brazing; prototype assembly; basic mechanical CAD.

Software packages used: Windows, Linux (various distributions), FreeBSD, extensive experience with CADSoft EAGLE, some experience with Altium Designer, WinCUPL, basic Xilinx ISE usage, Intel ITP, Visual Studio, IDA Pro, BPWin.

My ideal position is in a small company environment or small tight knit group within a larger company as a general-purpose prototyping engineer building/testing any kind of embedded system, and/or robotic/automotive equipment. I am also fine with being out in the field testing prototypes or repairing equipment at customer sites - I've climbed radio towers and installed prototypes in airplanes for testing before.

Previous positions include a prototyping engineer at a small exotic comms company in NYC (horribly mismanaged, if you have read the "poo poo that you come across daily that pisses you off" thread, you know my tale of woe) and a post-silicon validation engineer position at Intel in Hudson MA on the Tukwila/Poulson teams which I sadly left to start as a prototype engineer at the other company, as it was more in line with my career goals.

Experience: 4 years professional, backed up with approx. 10 years as a hardware reverse engineer + embedded systems hobbyist.

Education: WPI ECE Bachelors '08, Northern Essex Community College ES:EE Associates '05 while in high school.

Location/environment: Central Massachusetts (Southbridge.) Willing to work remotely or in office, up to business casual daily with occasional suit/tie acceptable. Does not smell funny, no crippling antisocial behavior, neckbeard available on request if hired for OS kernel development position. Travel is OK so long as it does not exceed approx. 30-40% of working time.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 2, 2012

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

boo_radley posted:

OK, it looks like people can edit OK now -- maybe we can add entries in as replies are made?

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug
Job Seeker
Undergraduate, soon-to-graduate computer science student seeks corporate soul make for long walks, candlelit dinners, pillowfights.

Experience:
Undergraduate program had us mostly working in Java and C, with a little Python. I've worked with JavaServer Pages and both Oracle SQL and MySQL. I also have done some time with everyone's favorite language, PHP. I'm not a web design wizard yet, but I have enough HTML and CSS to lay out a nice looking page without shoveling tables everywhere. I've also got two years' help desk experience for a small University department, supporting mainly windows computers. Also have some experience fiddling with weird old industrial hygiene hardware, and getting it to talk to a computer that was built 10 years after the device I'm connecting to it was discontinued. I like problem solving, puzzles, coffee, and cats.

Looking for:
Entry level work in software development, software testing, or web development. I'd like something full-time with benefits. I'm not really looking for contract QA or help-desk work, although I would definitely consider help-desk work for the right company.

Where I'm looking:
Absolutely everywhere! I live in Southern Arizona, which is okay if you like dirt and scorpions, but I hate those things and I want out (or at least a nicer apartment -- I'll consider local jobs). I'm especially interested in getting back up to the Pacific Northwest, and I would appreciate help with relocation, but everything is negotiable.

Why should you hire me:
I'm loyal, reliable, a fast learner, enthusiastic, good in bed, handsome, and much too polite to blare my terrible, terrible music through my desktop speakers. I always make a new pot of coffee if I take the last cup, and my fiancee sometimes makes snacks for the office :3:

(I added my info to the spreadsheet already)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

boo_radley posted:

I have added it to the OP! If it takes off and seems to work well, I'll probably clean up the rest of the OP. The old format was never going to be sustainable long term, since there is a character limit for each post.

Thanks again, really!

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I've got something for both categories!

First, for me:
My Experience: I've spent the past 18 months doing Direct Logic PLC programming with a fair bit of C# as my first job. I've been programming for about 15 years, and have a wide range of familiarity (PHP, Perl, JavaScript/JQuery, C, C++, C#, Haskell, MIPS to name a few) and feel very comfortable picking up new languages. I like to think I am familiar with modern programming techniques (TDD, agile methods) but I've never done any of it formally on a team (which is what I'm really looking to do now!)
Education: BS in Computer Science, BS in Mathematics/Physics
What I'm looking for: A software development position as part of a team.
What I'm NOT looking for: Temp work, automation work
Where I live: Summit, NJ. I have a convenient commute to midtown Manhattan.
Where I'm looking: I'm not picky, but along the east coast in NYC or further north is a huge plus.
When I can start: Offer date + 2 weeks
Requirements: Full time, job security, good growth potential
Can be reached via: PM or aquarium (at) ofli (dot) es

And now for my company:
What I need? A software engineer to support and develop Automation Direct PLC and C# software.
Who are we? Pizzametry, a small (~10 people) startup making an automated pizzaria machine: http://pizzametry.com/
Where are we? We're based in midtown Manhattan (about 5 minutes from Penn Station and Port Authority).
What are we looking for? The important work is PLC programming, but we also have some C# utility projects. You'll be working closely with mechanical engineers, and will be expected to be hands-on with the machines, so a familiarity with mechanical engineering is a huge plus but not necessary.
How do I apply? For now, contact me (see above). We don't have an official posting yet, so if you're interested and contact me early you can maybe get in real quick.
Anything else I should know? The company is still very much in "startup mode", so things can be quite hectic, although our new CEO is trying to shift gears away from that feel. You'll be replacing me as the only programmer, so you should be very self-motivated - a lot of the time, you'll be left to yourself. However, don't go into this job expecting only programming; you're going to be performing many roles (some less glamorous than others). The work environment is very laid back. Our current manufacturing company is based in Boston and you may be expected to travel occasionally. If you want more details, feel free to ask me any questions about the job and I'll be glad to answer :)

I feel it may be worthwhile to discuss my history with the company. When I came in, I was the second programmer and the entire thing was a mess - no kind of revision control, different versions of the code lying around wherever. I was brought in to help standardize the development process in preparation for general production -- this includes coding conventions, version tracking, etc. As of today, the PLC and HMI code is all in a Git repository, and I'm working on cleaning up a lot of the one-off C# projects that became more than one-off (Git repository, unit tests).

Aquarium of Lies fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 7, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Maybe not what you're looking for permanently since you seem pretty overqualified but hit us up and maybe you can work with us until something better comes along, or we can pass your resume along to something better suited to you. :)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Quoting this because I've updated it with new info per finagler's request and WD's a chill place to work!

finagler posted:

Who are we: Western Digital
Where? Irvine, CA

I’m looking for four (4) technicians:
  • Must be willing to work 1-10 P.M. as a temp, with overtime and some weekends
  • Must be able to rip a PC apart and put it back together quickly (we do chassis swaps)
  • Must be familiar with BIOS settings
  • Must be able to lift 50 lbs, no problems on ladders, etc.
  • Test/QA/Blackbox testing experience a plus
  • Knowledge of DOS, Linux, all flavors of Windows a must (not super advanced stuff)
  • Must smell nice and fit in with a casual corporate environment (no Super Mario tattoos visible)
Our company makes storage products. My group has 5,000 PCs and we test drive firmware. This entails starting and stopping tests, updating a test database and working directly with engineers. We're moving labs around and need to move heavy racks around, build racks, wire racks, do PC chassis swaps. Pay is around $22/hr with some OT. Hours are 1-10pm M-F with some weekends/late evenings. You will be hired through a temp agency that our company uses. We’re located in Irvine, 92612.

Email your resume to greg dot nagel @ wdc dot com. PM's ignored. This is an immediate opening. There are other openings in the company. If I don't like you I can forward your resume to the temp agency or other interested groups.
Come work with us at WD!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is there anything at WD an entry-level MSEE with research experience would be qualified for?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Just added this to the Google doc. We're looking for a Front-end Dev. in Austin, TX.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Chiming in again with questions about securing a decent job without a degree. For you guys who look for new hires/interview new hires what are some common traits that are definitely no-gos when talking to a prospect? I feel I interview very well however I have never dealt with anything in a large company before.

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask these questions, do we have an IT hiring advice thread?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Really depends on what kind of job you're looking for. Lack of degree can be a total non-issue, or a complete dealbreaker depending on the job you're looking for and the industry/company you're trying to get in to.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

cr0y posted:

Chiming in again with questions about securing a decent job without a degree. For you guys who look for new hires/interview new hires what are some common traits that are definitely no-gos when talking to a prospect? I feel I interview very well however I have never dealt with anything in a large company before.

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask these questions, do we have an IT hiring advice thread?

There's a few general threads, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447793 and http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3303022

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

duz fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 7, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mierdaan posted:

Really depends on what kind of job you're looking for. Lack of degree can be a total non-issue, or a complete dealbreaker depending on the job you're looking for and the industry/company you're trying to get in to.

I'm trying to get into something like Help Desk without a degree. I'm finding a lot of companies want someone with a Computer Science Degree, which seems like extreme over qualification for a position like this. I do know one person who does help desk without college education in this area (art degree) though, so it's certainly possible, I just need to know where to look.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

I said come in! posted:

I'm trying to get into something like Help Desk without a degree. I'm finding a lot of companies want someone with a Computer Science Degree, which seems like extreme over qualification for a position like this. I do know one person who does help desk without college education in this area (art degree) though, so it's certainly possible, I just need to know where to look.

gently caress, this kind of poo poo pisses me off. There's no guarantee that someone with a CS degree is good at being a computer janitor. Just as someone with a degree in aerospace engineering isn't necessarily good at being an aircraft mechanic. If you're looking for education to break into the field, your first stop should be here.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

psydude posted:

gently caress, this kind of poo poo pisses me off. There's no guarantee that someone with a CS degree is good at being a computer janitor.

Yeah, I've never understood what understanding the computational complexity of bubblesort has to do with unfucking user profiles or print drivers or whatever.

There's definitely some useful lessons you can get out of a CS degree, especially if you start scripting and automating poo poo, or dealing with the simple inheritance model in a nagios config or something, but required? gently caress you, tell me why it's required.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

Yeah, I've never understood what understanding the computational complexity of bubblesort has to do with unfucking user profiles or print drivers or whatever.

There's definitely some useful lessons you can get out of a CS degree, especially if you start scripting and automating poo poo, or dealing with the simple inheritance model in a nagios config or something, but required? gently caress you, tell me why it's required.

It's basically the HR process bubble sorting stacks of resumes, and then dropping everyone under a threshold.

Most places get plenty of people with CS degrees, so you have to find a place to just arbitrarily reject people or at least intimidate them from submitting a resume in the first place.

Even still, HR job descriptions are an ideal candidate and only in absolutely horrible job markets does anyone ever get their ideal job candidate, since one job's ideal is trying to jump to an even more ambitious job and so on and so forth. 2+ years means they'll settle for a year with a good interview/cover letter. Degrees are usually just so you're intimidated against sending a resume, as long as you don't lie about not having one it's probably only going to make a difference if you have a lovely cover letter or gently caress up the interview and someone with a degree didn't.

Once you get in, experience matters way more than a degree. If you're going for a job that wants 5 years of experience, you can be pretty sure they don't really need you to have a degree.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Coupon posted:

Who we are: ShopIgniter, Inc.
Where: Portland, OR
Title: Senior Software Engineer

I just sent somebody your way.

Anyone else have anything hiring in the Portland area?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
We filled our last software dev position, but now we need a new manager!

Who are we?
We're amazon.com, you've probably heard of us :), and we're looking for someone to manage an awesome team of software developers.

More specifically, my team works with the Disc on Demand (DoD) portion of Amazon (also known as Createspace). Say you're a filmmaker or musician and want to distribute your album or movie to the world. You could go to a replicator and have them do a run leaving you with a bunch of inventory and the responsibility of distribution. Or you can go through us. Send us a copy of your DVD or CD and we'll store it in our database and list it on Amazon. When someone orders a copy, we'll burn it, print your artwork and then ship it directly to the customer (and give you a cut of the sale, of course).

Our team is responsible for developing the software that ingests discs sent to us as well as securely storing them for manufacture. We've published content from high-profile companies such as VH1, MTV, New Line, Lionsgate, Joss Whedon, Sony BMG, and EMI all the way down to independent musicians and filmmakers distributing their first film or album.

Where are we?
We work at Amazon's headquarters in sunny Seattle, WA.

Benefits?
Health, dental, vision, 401k matching, relocation assistance

What do you need from me?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 2+ years people management experience
- Experience with OOD and object oriented languages

It's a bonus if you have experience with distributed file systems, audio/video encoding, DVD authoring, and security.

We do most of our programming in Java and Python. The official job posting is located here

Anything else?
We're a small team (a project manager, 4 devs (including me!), a network engineer, and a support engineer) with lots of responsibility. Most of us on the team have been doing this for 3+ years. We share a love of technology, media, and good food (lots of good food around us and we love going out to lunch as a team). We do have an on-call rotation, but it's not too bad (weekly rotations and it's a pretty rare occurrence to be paged).

Amazon is an awesome company to work for; I'm usually sporting a T-shirt and jeans. The DoD team (operations and us) are a pretty chill bunch and we do a lot of hanging out outside of work (we recently went to Whirlyball together and had a blast). Amazon itself has lots of things going on and we frequently interact with teams in all areas (AWS, Amazon MP3 and Instant Video to name a few). I've personally been in this position for about 4 years (starting as an intern and working my way up) and love what I do.

All right, you sold me. What now?
Go ahead and send me a PM or you can email me at bschwartz AT amazon DOT com. (You don't have to apply through the site, you can contact me directly)

CoasterMaster fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 13, 2012

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Done.

devoir fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 29, 2012

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Job Opening

Locations: Austin, Texas & Victoria, Texas
There are openings at locations in each city.

Industry: Tech Retail (Local business. Not a national chain or franchise)

Opening: FULL TIME Sales Leader / Keyholder

We're a small tech retail store seeking a phenomenal sales leader and keyholder. The position carries some management type duties and thus previous management experience would be a plus.

Why you should work here:
- LOCALLY OWNED. The ability to speak directly to your boss anytime you'd like.
- Ownership that listens to and implements suggestions brought by employees.
- We're a growing company looking for people who want long term employment. We want folks who we can grow with us and take for the ride as we succeed.
- We have a perfect record for paying employees in a timely manner and offer direct deposit.

Qualifications required:
- High school diploma
- Previous experience as a manager, keyholder, or sales leader in retail
- Technically savvy. The store's technicians will be here to back you up but you need not sound like an idiot when selling a computer or helping a customer understand a repair service they need.
- A good attitude. Seriously. You should be someone who stands well above average when it comes to customer relations, situation handling, respect for your coworkers, and ability to maintain your attitude when things are stressful or a problem arises.

Pay: Decently above average for retail and based upon experience. Hard work and effort rewarded.

This is not your average retail job, and we're looking for folks who are not your average applicants. We could easily hire some basic help in here but instead are seeking a leader who can help us in taking this business, its customer experience, and its profitability to the next level. Success WILL be rewarded.

Want an interview? Email cybernet AT austin [dot] rr -dot- com and tell us why you would be a good fit.

We may reply from a different, actually company related email address. Just didn't want to post it on the forums so that's our junk box for starters - see if you can make it out of it!

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
What's the general opinion of contract-to-hire recruiter jobs? This guy wants me to interview with a large well-established group so I have no reason to be suspect, but the 6 month contract-to-hire thing is strange to me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Both times I've done one, despite glowing reviews from my supervisor and coworkers, I wasn't hired on at the end due to "financial reasons", so I don't trust them at all anymore.

It is better than nothing, though, if it comes down to it.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

What's the general opinion of contract-to-hire recruiter jobs? This guy wants me to interview with a large well-established group so I have no reason to be suspect, but the 6 month contract-to-hire thing is strange to me.

Insist that the position be per-approved to convert to FTE, and see what the recruiter's history with the company is (ie. do they convert most of their hires, or pull the rug out?).

Be ready to pay out the anus for health insurance.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks guys. Do you think the contract-to-FTE conversion ratio depends a lot on the job? In Kyrosiris's example, I could see that happening more if the purpose of the 6-month contract is to bang out a specific set of tasks, and then they pull the rug after. The one I'm looking at seems like it'd be a stable infrastructure job that they'd need long term, but what do I know :(

Health care is something I just discussed with the recruiter, they said they can bridge that 6-month gap but I'm sure the cost will be ridiculous. COBRA's another (unattractive) option.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
If you are unemployed right now, it'll be easier to find a job while you're working, even if it is temporary. I'm not sure I'd jump ship for a job like that unless your current position really blows.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

Thanks guys. Do you think the contract-to-FTE conversion ratio depends a lot on the job? In Kyrosiris's example, I could see that happening more if the purpose of the 6-month contract is to bang out a specific set of tasks, and then they pull the rug after. The one I'm looking at seems like it'd be a stable infrastructure job that they'd need long term, but what do I know :(

Health care is something I just discussed with the recruiter, they said they can bridge that 6-month gap but I'm sure the cost will be ridiculous. COBRA's another (unattractive) option.

It's really unpredictable, and always a gamble. You need to speak frankly with the recruiter about conversion history and look at the position. If it's for a role that looks suspiciously like project or short term duties then avoid it.

Usually the contract hourly rate is a fair bit higher than the FTE rate to cover the differences for medical coverage etc.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Every so often a recruiter will come through for their client, but by and large they're vultures. It's gotten so bad for me that I've started screening all my calls. The problems with them are manyfold, ranging from the fact that they never seem organized enough to actually hold on to my information(I've been asked the same questions about my work history, including such invasive information as why I left the jobs I've had in the past as well as my exact salary at those jobs, multiple times by different people working for the same company, and at least a handful by the same people on multiple occasions) to the fact that they never seem to advocate on behalf of their contractors, to the fact that they often lack actual technical knowledge, either just reading off a sheet of qualifications or even being overtly ignorant about the topics they're asking about. One company kept calling me about positions as an SQL developer, despite the fact that I have only the most basic experience with SQL and don't even list it on my resume.

YMMV, of course, but if you get that job make sure you're on your best behavior, and be certain that it actually will convert to a full-time hire after the contract. After all, they can't squeeze more money out of you once you've been hired on, can they?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, thanks for the perspective. I'll do the song and dance and see where it goes. The gig is with a large university that I graduated from and worked for previously, so I'd like to think they wouldn't pull the rug after 6 months, but I'll walk into it all with a healthy dose of skepticism.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We use contract guys for both scenarios discussed. We've had issues finding quality hires, so we'll have a recruiter bring them in on a 3 or 6 month contract, and if they perform we convert them to FTE status. If they suck we can easily get rid of them.

We also have a bunch of QA work that we only need folks for 3 or 6 months on, so we'll use contractors to do that work as well. Just depends.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Anecdotal, but in all the times that I've been on both sides of the coin (as the contractor and as the contractee) I've never seen it convert into FTE.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

I've done six months to permanent once and was converted to FTE as a developer. It was straight out of college though, so it may have been a "if he sucks we fire him" kind of deal.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I've seen it go both ways. But usually it doesn't result in a hire.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
I've seen some companies that it is so hard to fire someone after a month that they always do 6mo contract so they can fire them if they suck. But they are up front with it saying, if you don't suck, you will get a full time offer cause we already have budget for the position.
Job Posting
Also, Salesforce.com is hiring a ~ton of people this year. I'm not allowed to give numbers (public company and all) but it really is more than I could count in any reasonable amount of time.

If you are good at what you do and want to apply, look at our job listings and find a job you are a FIT for and contact me. I can see about referring you. Be warned, we don't hire screw ups and the interview process is hard and long.

EMAIL me *before* applying so I can submit you as a referral. See the spreadsheet for my email.

MasterColin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
My current position was a temp position at first that converted to permanent after 6 months or so, mainly due to the quality reasons listed above.

These recruiters really are terrible. I have many contacting me for senior level positions when I only list 1-2 years experience. None of them have any technical knowledge or remember anything about your history.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my Jr. Sysadmin interview last thursday, they said they had 5 more candidates to interview. Just sent an email to the HR contact I was dealing with, hopefully I get a reply.

Two of the other "Jr" positions turned out to be bogus, and the last one I'm pretty sure is too. Finally managed to wrangle the name of the recruiters client the job was with and looked up the position on their website and it listed the experience as Mid/Sr. Sigh.

Edit: (12 hours later? Haha) Got a reply from the HR contact and she said they are actively interviewing internal and external candidates. In my experience that means I'm boned...

joe944 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 20, 2012