Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Minidust posted:

Hm, so it's safe to say that PS3 is the "lead platform" for Pinball Arcade?

Not really. The PS3 version has a few more advancements simply because it had a bit more time in development, which will be backported to the other versions in time.

If I had to guess, I'd say the PC version will become the definitive version once it's released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw the documentary Special When Lit on Hulu.
It's more about the history than a character based storyline like King of Kong, but it was excellent.
Check it out if you haven't.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/243423/special-when-lit-a-pinball-documentary

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I wish Apple would approve the fix for the iPad version of Pinball Arcade already, I want some new tables to play. :(

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's more about the history than a character based storyline like King of Kong, but it was excellent.
Check it out if you haven't.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/243423/special-when-lit-a-pinball-documentary

Actually I was pretty disappointed in that film because it focused more on the current "characters" than the straight history. My wife watched it with me out of boredom and there were several points where I felt embarrassed, like I could feeeel her pity next to me. Some of the dudes they talk to in that thing are pretty pathetic. :ughh:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The niche is going to breed eccentrics and not exposing them would be a bad representation.
Imagine shooting at a convention then seeing that guy hock his handicam pinball DVDs. You wouldn't be doing your job as a documentarian to not turn the camera on him.
The vast majority of the interviewees were extremely normal people. They only really followed weird geeks a couple of times. Way less of a percentage than King of Kong.
Though in that movie the credible protagonist is a straight upstanding suburban citizen and the obsessive weirdos were creeps and villains. Seems much fairer here.
Everyone, including the crazies came off as decent people.

With the comparison I just meant we didn't have a straight up story with a protagonist and antagonist.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 11, 2012

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

They made a Jesus pinball machine. The ball is saved. :toot:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Beelzebozo posted:

Actually I was pretty disappointed in that film because it focused more on the current "characters" than the straight history. My wife watched it with me out of boredom and there were several points where I felt embarrassed, like I could feeeel her pity next to me. Some of the dudes they talk to in that thing are pretty pathetic. :ughh:

Yeah, "Special When Lit" made me cringe almost as much as "Chasing Ghosts", the Twin Galaxies documentary, but nobody in "Special" was like the dude who had a closet full of spiders and talked poo poo about his ex-wife as he stood by the container of her ashes. Which was right next to the Christmas tree he keeps up year round.

"Tilt! The Battle to Save Pinball" is (poo poo, I guess was) on Netflix streaming, and it's a much better documentary. About the design of Pinball 2000 and how Williams went and "saved" pinball only to sink it soon after victory. There are quite a few designers dishing about what went on at Williams in the late 90s, though Steve Ritchie is notably absent.

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 12, 2012

Swabbleflange
Apr 18, 2008

I love Chasing Ghosts and Special When Lit just for what they're about, but yeah, both those docs err a little too much on the side of showcasing weirdos. Rather unfair and unbalanced editorialising on the part of the filmmakers. There are plenty of people out there that love pinball and old arcades and aren't completely mental, or disturbingly obsessed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Swabbleflange posted:

I love Chasing Ghosts and Special When Lit just for what they're about, but yeah, both those docs err a little too much on the side of showcasing weirdos. Rather unfair and unbalanced editorialising on the part of the filmmakers. There are plenty of people out there that love pinball and old arcades and aren't completely mental, or disturbingly obsessed.
They're not nearly as interesting to interview though, nor as fun to watch be interviewed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Swabbleflange posted:

Yeah, but as the hobby naturally becomes more a niche as time goes on, the casuals drop off as the obsessed weirdos stick around. I've been to some pinball expos that were really cool, and a few where I had to get the hell out of there almost right after arriving because the place was like some horrible greasy nerd trap.

Hell, just the other day I was reading a thread on the VP forums where a guy who worked in the coin-op industry lost his job, and he was non-ironically, seriously renouncing god in the thread because of the job loss. All "WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS TOO ME GOD! I HATE YOU GOD!". I can imagine in real life he was out in the rain somewhere beating his fists on the ground and shouting at the sky. My favourite line was when he said "god made a big mistake by betraying me!" What? What does that even mean? He made a mistake and now if he wants a ride from the airport, NO WAY, YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK, "GOD"!

Some people are just weird.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Howard Beale posted:

"Tilt! The Battle to Save Pinball" is on Netflix streaming,

No it isn't, but that's okay because the special features on the DVD are loving incredible and everyone who loves pinball should probably grab it. (The movie alone is on iTunes, though, if I recall correctly.)

quote:

and it's a much better documentary.

Yes. Special and Chasing Ghosts are really best as companion pieces to Tilt and Kong, respectively, with less of a narrative and more of a scattershot look at the people involved. That dude with the huge collection of pinball parts and documentation was probably my favorite dude because he's kind of a loser but harmless, and seems to really enjoy what he does, and it's really hard to find fault with that even if I wish he'd find better-fitting shirts. Also he likes Slick Chick, which was one of my favorite older machines in Microsoft Pinball Arcade.

Ripley's seems really loving hard, though that may just be the huge ruleset crushing my brain.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Discount Viscount posted:

No it isn't, but that's okay because the special features on the DVD are loving incredible and everyone who loves pinball should probably grab it. (The movie alone is on iTunes, though, if I recall correctly.)

Aw, man, it was just on Netflix this weekend. Their expiration policies don't make sense. What are the DVD features?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
193 million on Ripley's! What a fun table. I'm no pinball master but if anyone has any questions about the mechanics on that table hit me up, I know it seemed really complicated to me at first glance

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
Okay, so I'm playing Pinball Arcade on the PS3, and am not at the top of my friend's leaderboard on a couple tables which is wrong because I'm loving terrible. Feel free to add me, I'm Kirin70 on PSN, and in dire need of some more leaderboard friends.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think I just saw the weirdest thing. On the TotAN table, the Williams logo on the left side of the backbox is backwards. Which means they just flipped the texture from the right side and called it a day. Which is even weirder, because as far as I can see, you never even see the right side of the backbox. Why didn't they just get the right image for the left side and then flip it for the unseen right?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Howard Beale posted:

Aw, man, it was just on Netflix this weekend. Their expiration policies don't make sense. What are the DVD features?

tilt-movie.com posted:

• The 60-minute TILT: The Battle to Save Pinball documentary.
  • The Directors' Commentary track, filled with anecdotes about the making of the film and thoughts on the pinball industry.
  • More than three hours of extra interview footage, including never-before-seen insights into the process of designing a pinball machine with industry greats Pat Lawlor and George Gomez.
  • An interview with pinball legend Steve Kordek on the early days of the industry.
  • Former Williams Vice President Larry DeMar, co-creator of video game classics Defender and Robotron: 2084, on the early days of video games and the evolution of pinball through the '80s and '90s.
  • Noted pinball historian and industry figure Roger Sharpe on his amazing role in legalizing pinball in New York in the 1970s!
  • Video of George Gomez's legendary Pinball Expo 1999 speech, given just days before Williams shuttered their pinball division!
  • A video tour of the former Williams pinball factory!
  • An additional film commentary track by the film participants chiming in with their thoughts on the current state of the pinball industry.
  • Footage of three great unreleased Williams pinball machines: Wizard Blocks and Playboy, the un-finished third and fourth Pinball 2000 games, and Bally's Pinball Circus, an amazing multi-level pinball machine...only two were built!
  • The Williams "Pinball 2000" launch video, the same video used to market directly to pinball distributors.

Highlighted a few of my favorites, it's all good though. I wish Roger Sharpe's book was in a library near me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of the backboards, this is probably the lowest priority, but every time I see Mark's Black Hole machine in CGR videos I wish they'd model depth illusions in the backglass. The smeary texture on the swoop in bums me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZNcuSMrTHc You can see it when he's on camera.
Modeling the Dotmatrix on the actual table would also be nice, even if you only really see it during the attract screen and plunger pull.

Oh yeah. Add me on PSN! ECTOdash1

robot roll call posted:

Do you guys think the flippers are delayed? My friend thinks the flippers have a delay. I think he was just pretty stoned.

On PSN they're as responsive as any other game I've played. Sometimes the ball shoots from the edges of the flippers a bit unnaturally when you''re trying to save it from sinking down the center. That might be physics catching up to animation.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 12, 2012

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Do you guys think the flippers are delayed? My friend thinks the flippers have a delay. I think he was just pretty stoned.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

robot roll call posted:

They definitely are on the PS3 version. It seems to happen often on the PS3 with fighting games too.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
My dad was complaining about a delay but I plugged in a wired controller and it seemed to fix it.

Also the TILT screen in Pinball Arcade is loving terrifying.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I watched all of Special When Lit and liked some of it, the parts about the flood at PAPA and the end where the guys were talking about how pinball is slowly dying actually made me feel a little sad. Tilt sounds like a better film though, maybe I'll track it down.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

robot roll call posted:

I was pretty stoned and they seemed fine.

Edit: Its actually impossible to love Pinball in Scotland. Can't find any information on pinball tables/clubs in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Theres a pretty cool sounding club in Salisbury that lets you in for free plays on all their machines for £5, on friday nights. Thats actually further away from me than London though.

Can't even track down Special when Lit or Tilt!. Apparently you can't watch it unless you are from the US.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Ramagamma posted:

Edit: Its actually impossible to love Pinball in Scotland. Can't find any information on pinball tables/clubs in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

It may be a bit out of your usual way, but check from Soho down to Brighton.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

Can't even track down Special when Lit or Tilt!. Apparently you can't watch it unless you are from the US.

Use a VPN like hotspotshield.com (in conjunction with an adblocker because the free service embeds its own annoying ads into pages. There might be better ones. I haven't looked.) Your traffic gets intercepted at a US server or something to fool the sites into thinking you're there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 12, 2012

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Discount Viscount posted:

It may be a bit out of your usual way, but check from Soho down to Brighton.

If I hadn't been whistling that tune to myself in the stationary cupboard this morning, you'd have had me there.

Girlfriend bought me Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection, as an early birthday present. Was only like £2 so that's pretty awesome even if I've already played a ton of Black Hole thats like 11 new tables.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Ramagamma posted:

If I hadn't been whistling that tune to myself in the stationary cupboard this morning, you'd have had me there.

Girlfriend bought me Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection, as an early birthday present. Was only like £2 so that's pretty awesome even if I've already played a ton of Black Hole thats like 11 new tables.

Joke's on you. Black Hole is the only decent table Gottlieb ever produced. :haw:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Just posted 27 million on Black Hole (360 version). I literally went "gently caress it, this is enough points" after a few hours and let the rest of my balls drain. I think I've got that table figured out.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

Just posted 27 million on Black Hole (360 version). I literally went "gently caress it, this is enough points" after a few hours and let the rest of my balls drain. I think I've got that table figured out.

Aw dude if you'd kept going for another 3 million you'd have snatched that number 1 spot.

Edit: Woops, I just spent my entire lunch hour racking up ball after ball on Arabian Nights. What a game.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 12, 2012

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

Aw dude if you'd kept going for another 3 million you'd have snatched that number 1 spot.

Edit: Woops, I just spent my entire lunch hour racking up ball after ball on Arabian Nights. What a game.

Yep. I didn't know how many times I'd rolled it when I quit though. I actually thought I was around 15 mil. Besides, the top score will no doubt be beaten soon anyway.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

NNNNNOOOOOOOOoooooo……!!! :negative:

God daaamn this frog frenzy poo poo is impossible. Eat a bag of dicks, Pat Lawlor. <:mad:>

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
Pinball Arcade did an awesome job recreating Theater of Magic's magnetic "kickback". It works just like it does in real life. By which I mean, not at all. :argh:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

Joke's on you. Black Hole is the only decent table Gottlieb ever produced. :haw:
Hey, I like TX-Sector :mad:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Would any PS3 users be interested in doing a long-term game share for Pinball Arcade and all the DLC? There's a gamesharing thread but I figure this would be the best place to ask. I'm pretty sure the sharing limit is just two consoles now, if I'm wrong I'd be totally down for having more people in the group though.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I diiiiiiid iiiiiit!! :woop::siren::frogsiren:

Holy poo poo that was hard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Well poo poo. After completing Frog Frenzy I went on to utterly demolish the top score on my friends list only to have it not count when I fell victim to the "looking for balls" bug. gently caress this table forever. Bring on the DLC.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

Well poo poo. After completing Frog Frenzy I went on to utterly demolish the top score on my friends list only to have it not count when I fell victim to the "looking for balls" bug. gently caress this table forever. Bring on the DLC.

ya that garbage happened to me on xbox
but calling the attendant and watching the actual debug mode run is kind of laughs

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Zip posted:

ya that garbage happened to me on xbox
but calling the attendant and watching the actual debug mode run is kind of laughs

I also was pretty amused by it until I realized I wouldn't be able to save. Even though I have the achievement now, if I go into the Wizard Goals list for the table, I'm missing the check mark next to Frog Frenzy still. This drives my OCD out of control. I worked so hard to accomplish that poo poo. I want my loving check mark. :mad:

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I'm not noticing a delay with my flippers in the ps3 version. Are you guys sure about this?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I don't think I'll bother much with Ripley's or Theater of Magic until the major glitches in them get fixed. So I'm working on Arabian Nights for now. I need to work on my aim and ball control on that table. It's been a while since I played it on The Williams Collection, but I could have sworn I used to be able to reliably backhand the bazaar hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I'm not sure you'll ever get that lost ball glitch on ripleys. It only happened to me once. I mean it sucks but it's pretty rare. The one thing I've noticed a lot if on the reverse table on black hole occasionally I'll lose the ball and is it goes under a flipper suddenly it pops up over it and continues play. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen.