Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'd still do it with a bootable medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

Already done! I have the entire drive backed up to a regular HDD though and another crucial m4 on the way from ncix so it wouldn't have been a major problem if the update failed. It took about 2 minutes to do its thing and when windows came back up it prompted me to run the file again. I just cancelled it, clicked the prompt to restart my computer to apply changes and voila, it's back to it's regular fast boot time.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
I'm thinking about deploying SSDs to the user base in my office. I was thinking about Intel 520 60GB drives to keep costs down even though those drives don't have as many memory channels/iops (right?) as other higher density drives. In an enterprise environment would it be worth it to deploy 120s 180s or 240s instead since workers will be mostly running Office apps?

We also use Credant for laptop drive encryption but it only encrypts certain files based on extensions. It's not necessarily a full drive encryption from what I understand and have witnessed. Have any of you worked with an encryption software like this when deploying ssds? I know some drives get crippled by full drive encryption. I'm going to be doing some tests locally with 60GB Intel 520s compared to the 180s. Obviously it should still be much faster than platter drives, but is there anything I should look out for in bios settings or elsewhere to optimize performance? We'd be deploying these with Windows 7 x86 (would x64 bring anything besides additional RAM recognition?).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Strike Anywhere posted:

I'm thinking about deploying SSDs to the user base in my office. I was thinking about Intel 520 60GB drives to keep costs down even though those drives don't have as many memory channels/iops (right?) as other higher density drives. In an enterprise environment would it be worth it to deploy 120s 180s or 240s instead since workers will be mostly running Office apps?

I have an Intel 520 60GB SSD in my work machine, for that exact reason. It was hard to justify a larger drive, and it had to be better than the piece of poo poo Maxtor (yep) that was in there.
Yes, yes it is. If they don't need the space, I'd wager you'd be pissing money up the wall getting the larger drives. For a home machine for personal use, I'd say 120 minimum, but for an office machine that needs almost no local storage, and is likely to be saddled with lovely corporate software and a godawful slow HDD, an Intel 520 60GB is a fine choice, it'll make a decent difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I hadn't heard of the 5000 hour bug before, but that gave me the explanation as to why one of our production servers went down 216 days after being built back in December.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Well you did ask for it when you put a non-Intel drive in a prod machine.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...

HalloKitty posted:

I have an Intel 520 60GB SSD in my work machine, for that exact reason. It was hard to justify a larger drive, and it had to be better than the piece of poo poo Maxtor (yep) that was in there.
Yes, yes it is. If they don't need the space, I'd wager you'd be pissing money up the wall getting the larger drives. For a home machine for personal use, I'd say 120 minimum, but for an office machine that needs almost no local storage, and is likely to be saddled with lovely corporate software and a godawful slow HDD, an Intel 520 60GB is a fine choice, it'll make a decent difference.

Good to know. I'll report back once I get some results.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Dogen posted:

This doesn't exactly sound like that 5000 hour bug (or however many it was), but do you have the most recent firmware?

I do sadly :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

evil_bunnY posted:

Well you did ask for it when you put a non-Intel drive in a prod machine.

Well, I didn't ask for it. I really didn't have a say as to what went in there. I just got to clean up the mess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Micron has a C400 mSATA SSD out that kicks the (quite a bit older) Intel mSATA drive's butt

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5735/micron-c400-msata-128gb-ssd-review/1

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
So remember when OCZ launched the new Indilinx Everest controller, and people were impressed because it actually seemed to have reasonable performance? Well, it was all a lie. There is no Everest controller, the chips are simply Marvell controllers (same as the Crucial M4/Corsair Performance 3/Intel SSD 510) remarked with an Indilinx logo and with a firmware modified to remove all evidence that they are Marvell devices. OCZ strikes again!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I am never buying an OCZ product.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Alereon posted:

So remember when OCZ launched the new Indilinx Everest controller, and people were impressed because it actually seemed to have reasonable performance? Well, it was all a lie.
This is...really curious. Mostly because I don't see what they were trying to gain by rebadging the controller: the Marvell ones are already widely regarded as superior in reliability to SandForce-based ones, and the extra clockspeed and custom firmware clearly have upped the performance in certain scenarios. I'd think consumers would be more willing to trust a modified version of a proven Marvell chip than a brand new (and very quickly developed) Indilinx chip.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I think it was intended as a way to avoid admitting the failure of the Everest project and that their Indilinx acquisition was a colossal mistake.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Alereon posted:

I think it was intended as a way to avoid admitting the failure of the Everest project and that their Indilinx acquisition was a colossal mistake.

What the heck happened to Indilinx anyways? Early on in the game they seemed pretty competent, and then they just sort of barfed. I know they were having issues before the acquisition, and I can definitely see being acquired by OCZ as exacerbating existing issues and introducing new ones, but I would have expected at least something decent.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Alereon posted:

Yeah, I could kinda see that from one perspective, but the only people that could possibly be aimed at would be investors/stockholders. And those people, I'd imagine, would be happier with a product that sold well because it was screaming fast and based on a proven chip. Instead, they've got a product that came out of the gate with people looking sideways at it because of its heritage and development questions, and now is getting hammered over trying to fake the chipset. Then again, it's OCZ, and sometimes I just don't get them. :iiam:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Fatal posted:

Looks like my Crucial M4 is slowly, slowly going down in flames. Two days ago it corrupted my windows install, today I get hard locks randomly with the event viewer showing a bunch of device not accessible errors as the last thing logged. Guess this better than when my OCZ vertex 2 died and it just stopped reading all together one day.

There is a new 000F firmware that apparently got released last night:

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Might want to give that a shot to see if it helps.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

So remember when OCZ launched the new Indilinx Everest controller, and people were impressed because it actually seemed to have reasonable performance? Well, it was all a lie. There is no Everest controller, the chips are simply Marvell controllers (same as the Crucial M4/Corsair Performance 3/Intel SSD 510) remarked with an Indilinx logo and with a firmware modified to remove all evidence that they are Marvell devices. OCZ strikes again!
Why am I not at all surprised?

Otto Skorzeny posted:

What the heck happened to Indilinx anyways? Early on in the game they seemed pretty competent, and then they just sort of barfed. I know they were having issues before the acquisition, and I can definitely see being acquired by OCZ as exacerbating existing issues and introducing new ones, but I would have expected at least something decent.
It's very hard for companies with bad DNA to acquire R&D outfits and not immediately start hemorrhaging talent. See Sun/Oracle.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
But the Vertex 4 might actually be using a whole new controller!

...also made by Marvell. Oh OCZ :allears:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
So, I have a problem that I'd like to run by this thread and see if anyone has any advice.

I had two OCZ Vertex 2 drives that had three failures between them. I complained to OCZ and got one replaced with an OCZ Agility 3. Unfortunately, when I try to install the drive in either one of my computers it doesn't show up in the BIOS. The strange part, though, is that the LED indicator is green. I've tried toggling between IDE/AHCI, changing the cables, changing ports, and swapping between SATA2/SATA3 connectors/motherboards. Any other ideas, or is it yet-another-OCZ-failure?

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm considering just buying a different brand of SSD (probably Intel, since those seem to be the most reliable), and chalking it up as a lesson learned. Oh, and avoiding OCZ parts like the plague in the future.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sounds like yet-another-OCZ-failure to me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What are the chances of seeing a 256GB Samsung 830 or even 430 for $200-ish?

TigerDirect has the OCZ Agility 3 (240GB) for $200 right now and I'm itching to pull the trigger on it for my work iMac.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Did you not just see how terrible OCZ is on this very page, let alone all the previous pages?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hey folks. I've got an old Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 that is just terrible and slow, but nonetheless it is necessary for some particular automotive tools I work with. Anyways, it has a PATA 2.5" drive and I'm wondering if there's any specific recommendations for that sorta setup.

The current drive is only 100GB and not really close to capacity so 80GB-128GB should probably be fine.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 12, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dogen posted:

Did you not just see how terrible OCZ is on this very page, let alone all the previous pages?

Oh, I know. But people have also been giving the Agility 3's the green light.

peepsalot posted:

Hey folks. I've got an old Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 that is just terrible and slow, but nonetheless it is necessary for some particular automotive tools I work with. Anyways, it has a PATA 2.5" drive and I'm wondering if there's any specific recommendations for that sorta setup.

The current drive is only 100GB and not really close to capacity so 80GB-128GB should probably be fine.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Legacy_Pro

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

peepsalot posted:

I have no experience with this device, but: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-2-5-Inch-Compact-Adapter-CF2X2IDE25/dp/B001E25LOS?tag=duckduckgo-d-20

Two CompactFlash cards in one 2.5" adapter? I have to be honest, that looks amazing. Get some fast goddamn CompactFlash cards, and this is an interesting solution..

I kind of want it just because it looks neat. I should mention I have however used a CompactFlash card to boot a Windows 2003 server before in a mini-ITX box, and it worked perfectly, and definitely booted fast, even though I used a cheap card. I don't like thinking about that machine though, because the day I got it, I knew the capacitor brand was dodgy on the power board, and sure enough, a year later, they went. I was so annoyed that a few hundreds worth of kit went straight in the bin..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 12, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is an SSD a worthwhile speed-up investment for a 2Ghz C2D laptop that is currently using some slow 4200RPM drive? If so, which SSD? It doesn't need a lot of storage, so 64GB would be fine, but I don't know if the fact that 64GB drives are slower than larger drives makes enough of a difference here. Also, I could buy another laptop for 500 bucks, but I don't know how the speed of a modern $500 laptop would compare to a SSD-equipped 2Ghz C2d with 3GB of RAM.

I've used several SSD's but they're all in much higher-power computers (and, of course, they're awesome).

e: 4800 > 4200

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 12, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

As long as it has SATA, and I assume it does, getting a decent SSD is never a wasted investment, since you could always use that elsewhere. But yes, I would say personally that a 2GHz C2D with 3GB RAM is not obsolete, and an SSD will give it a massive kick in the rear end over a 4200 RPM HDD..

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

peepsalot posted:

I'm not sure if there are any PATA SSDs that are sold as such, but I believe that Compact Flash uses ATA signalling and with the right adapter you might be able to use a CF card for increased shock resistance and decreased seek time. Looking on Newegg, the only 128GB CF card is $900 but some of the 64GB ones claim fairly good performance and cost between $100 and $150, so that could be feasible.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Bob Morales posted:

OCZ has an important role in the SSD world, and that is to drag prices down by the competent SSD vendors. You're already aware of their history and practices, if you want to gamble on one of their drives, please do.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Bob Morales posted:

So, my advice as someone who has been and is currently being burned by them is to avoid them entirely. Yes, you can get an SSD on the cheap, and if you're decently lucky then it may work out for you. But I've dumped hours upon hours, plus good money, troubleshooting, RMAing, shipping, restoring data, re-installing, etc, etc. Its not worth it to save $50-100 only to lose that in time and shipping fees.

Yes, people have been saying that the Agility 3's are improved. On the other hand, my current lemon is an Agility 3. There's still the possibility that its OK and I'm doing something stupid here, but OCZ has had enough failures that you should be skeptical of any claims that they've fixed things.

If I could go back 2 years, then I would have bought the Intel drives at twice the price (I got the Vertex 2 drives on a Black Friday sale). It would have saved me so much time and pain.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

I'm not sure if there are any PATA SSDs that are sold as such, but I believe that Compact Flash uses ATA signalling and with the right adapter you might be able to use a CF card for increased shock resistance and decreased seek time. Looking on Newegg, the only 128GB CF card is $900 but some of the 64GB ones claim fairly good performance and cost between $100 and $150, so that could be feasible.

I've used CF->IDE adapters and was never satisified with the performance on newer machines. Really old poo poo like Pentium or Pentium II laptops didn't seem much different but those old hard drives were dogshit slow anyway (like 4GB drives)

Thermopyle posted:

Is an SSD a worthwhile speed-up investment for a 2Ghz C2D laptop that is currently using some slow 4200RPM drive? If so, which SSD? It doesn't need a lot of storage, so 64GB would be fine, but I don't know if the fact that 64GB drives are slower than larger drives makes enough of a difference here. Also, I could buy another laptop for 500 bucks, but I don't know how the speed of a modern $500 laptop would compare to a SSD-equipped 2Ghz C2d with 3GB of RAM.

I stuck a 80GB Intel XM25 in my 2.4GHz C2D Macbook Pro and it turned it into a rocket. It won't make CPU-based tasks any faster, but it will boot up faster, FireFox starts instantly, hitting the page file or installing programs goes faster, and doing two things at once doesn't drag your computer to a halt.

So you can keep surfing the web or watching Youtube while you encode a video or compile something or extract some 1GB zip or rar file in the background.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Bob Morales posted:

I stuck a 80GB Intel XM25 in my 2.4GHz C2D Macbook Pro and it turned it into a rocket. It won't make CPU-based tasks any faster, but it will boot up faster, FireFox starts instantly, hitting the page file or installing programs goes faster, and doing two things at once doesn't drag your computer to a halt.

So you can keep surfing the web or watching Youtube while you encode a video or compile something or extract some 1GB zip or rar file in the background.

This is exactly what I did to my girlfriend's C2D Macbook Pro as well. She was going from taking 5 minutes to load Illustrator files to getting them opened much much faster (we haven't tried anything as large as her projects yet). Its definitely worth the investment in the sense that you get much more life out of your laptop than expected.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Thermopyle posted:

Is an SSD a worthwhile speed-up investment for a 2Ghz C2D laptop that is currently using some slow 4200RPM drive? If so, which SSD? It doesn't need a lot of storage, so 64GB would be fine, but I don't know if the fact that 64GB drives are slower than larger drives makes enough of a difference here.

My C2D laptop got a significant improvement when replacing its 5200 RPM drive with an SSD. At that sort of RPM, I'm guessing that even a fairly low-bandwidth SSD is still going to be a dramatic improvement.

Obviously, it won't help with games or such, but I've found that the hard drive is the weak point for quite a lot of laptops.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Anything with sata and a bunch of RAM will get a second life with an SSD.
One of my test machines at work is a C2D with 4GB and it's amazing the difference a NAND drive made.

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I've used several SSD's but they're all in much higher-power computers (and, of course, they're awesome).

e: 4800 > 4200

Two years ago, I replaced the 5400RPM 120GB drive in a 1.6GHz C2D laptop with a 500GB 7200RPM drive, and that alone made a huge difference in how fast the system felt. I had been considering getting a new laptop, but with the new drive I don't see any reason to. You have a faster CPU, and are going from a slower drive than I had to an SSD. I think you will be very happy with the speed increase.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm selling my Crucial m4 256 on sa-mart if anyone is interested

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478145

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That's not the latest firmware anymore, a new one came out yesterday.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks, I edited the sale post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

ryde posted:

So, I have a problem that I'd like to run by this thread and see if anyone has any advice.

I had two OCZ Vertex 2 drives that had three failures between them. I complained to OCZ and got one replaced with an OCZ Agility 3. Unfortunately, when I try to install the drive in either one of my computers it doesn't show up in the BIOS. The strange part, though, is that the LED indicator is green. I've tried toggling between IDE/AHCI, changing the cables, changing ports, and swapping between SATA2/SATA3 connectors/motherboards. Any other ideas, or is it yet-another-OCZ-failure?

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm considering just buying a different brand of SSD (probably Intel, since those seem to be the most reliable), and chalking it up as a lesson learned. Oh, and avoiding OCZ parts like the plague in the future.

I had two OCZ SSD's suddenly fail, unable to be recognized in BIOS, while the little LED's were still green. It's most likely dead.

• Locked thread