Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
If I'm not mistaken, a blue hit spark when they hit the ground indicates that it is techable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You are correct. Red is untechable

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Friendly Friend posted:

Is Valentine's lvl 3 supposed to be paying homage to the teamsp00ky logo? Because I'm getting that vibe.

Looks like the gears of war skull if anything to me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
One day, stupid solo Cerebella. One day. How do I even lose to you, I play Peacock/Filia. Those are my wins. Give them back. You are a grappler. They don't even fit. :smith:

Oh well, I'm being Sentinel'd, better stop missing jump-ins with Filia.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dias posted:

One day, stupid solo Cerebella. One day. How do I even lose to you, I play Peacock/Filia. Those are my wins. Give them back. You are a grappler. They don't even fit. :smith:

Oh well, I'm being Sentinel'd, better stop missing jump-ins with Filia.

It's because grapplers are the best characters, they've just been given a hard rap in games as of late.

There still needs to be a game where a grappler is unanimously top tier, though. :smith:

(It will never happen. :smithicide:)

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 12, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

It's because grapplers are the best characters, they've just been given a hard rap in games as of late.

Er no they haven't? Between Hugo, Kanji, Tamaki, and Tager, grapplers have been wrecking poo poo way better in the last year than they ever have.

As far as unanimously top tier goes, there's Kevin Ryan. Also maybe not unanimous, but Daimon in a few KOF games is completely stupid. There are probably a ton more I'm forgetting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

S-Alpha posted:

There still needs to be a game where a grappler is unanimously top tier, though. :smith:

I was gonna say A2, but people put Gief below top-tier. He blows up Rose for free tho. That's where my hatred for grapplers started.

Anyway, I learned that Filia's j.MP is NOT A JUMP-IN FROM ANYWHERE TOOL. The hit box is weird and you can get counterpunched into a 50%+ damage combo by goddamn Cerebella. Maybe I should be doing j.HK more. Or j.HP. Or not pressing buttons randomly unless I have an assist out. God, I suck at Marvel.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They should make a fighting game based on wrestling where everyone is a grappler. That'd be cool.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

S-Alpha posted:

KoF games?

Gief might be top tier in A3 also.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Liar Lyre posted:

They should make a fighting game based on wrestling where everyone is a grappler. That'd be cool.

Good news!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Er no they haven't? Between Hugo, Kanji, Tamaki, and Tager, grapplers have been wrecking poo poo way better in the last year than they ever have.

As far as unanimously top tier goes, there's Kevin Ryan. Also maybe not unanimous, but Daimon in a few KOF games is completely stupid. There are probably a ton more I'm forgetting.

Eh, Tager just got good very recently, and Kanji is incredibly recent. I don't know much about the other two, because I generally play poverty airdash games. :v:

Also, after playing Cerebella/Double for a while now, I'm thinking of making that my main team instead of just Bella, because goddamn Gatoboros is disgusting, and I can't really argue with the damage I get.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Friendly Friend posted:

Is Valentine's lvl 3 supposed to be paying homage to the teamsp00ky logo? Because I'm getting that vibe.
I don't know about that, but Spooky and NerdJosh are in the 'Special Thanks' section of the credits.

Also Peacock with slow bombs, frequent front/back teleports and Filia's HK hairball assist is soooooooooo dirty, I love it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speaking of peacocks bombs, you can totally combo all three if you go in order. I don't know if it's useful, but it's cool!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I know someone was posting about green poison on Val earlier so I thought I'd say something about it.

In my opinion it is most useful mid screen to extend your combo options. It loses its luster if you have your opponent in the corner because Val has probably the longest corner combos in the game and she can link off purple poison to guarantee the 10% poison damage. So you don't really need the extra hitstun as you can literally make a combo that utilizes basically all your normals and builds a ton of meter.

Right now is when I most wish I had video recording equipment :(

Oh and those corner combos are solo as well no need for assists for extension.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 13, 2012

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Got the game, and I'm already stuck on a tutorial. It's the one explaining poking. I'm apparently supposed to do a c.LK and c.MK combo poke, which I appear to be doing and causing a 2-hit combo, but the game isn't registering it. Am I missing something?

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Behonkiss posted:

Got the game, and I'm already stuck on a tutorial. It's the one explaining poking. I'm apparently supposed to do a c.LK and c.MK combo poke, which I appear to be doing and causing a 2-hit combo, but the game isn't registering it. Am I missing something?

make sure you're hitting the right buttons, that you're crouching the entire time, and that you hit them at the right time. Its with Filia, right? Her c.MK hits multiple times, so if you're only getting 2 hits then you're not doing c.MK.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
CPU Ms. Fortune beat me up and kicked my corpse around for 30~ hits. I know I'm a scrub you don't have to rub it in :qq:

I wish the game didn't show my ping to people before games (at least in ranked). Everybody is being a jerk because of my poo poo internet and I can't find games, period. PC GGPO works fine for me, and both me and my opponents are able to land our combos. Just accept my game you jerks :argh:

None of my RL friends have the game and now I have to beg on IRC for games *sigh*

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Ah, that explains it. I thought the C stood for combo or something else instead of crouch. I don't think the tutorial mentioned it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So after the red/blue spark thing, I went ahead and recorded my combon and looked through frame by frame to see if it was techable or not. It was. :(

Since I already had it recorded, I decided to toss it on YouTube, if anyone wants to take a look and see what they can derive from it for improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fszYZaZM3v8

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

CPU Ms. Fortune beat me up and kicked my corpse around for 30~ hits. I know I'm a scrub you don't have to rub it in :qq:

I wish the game didn't show my ping to people before games (at least in ranked). Everybody is being a jerk because of my poo poo internet and I can't find games, period. PC GGPO works fine for me, and both me and my opponents are able to land our combos. Just accept my game you jerks :argh:

None of my RL friends have the game and now I have to beg on IRC for games *sigh*

Hate to break it to you, but it sounds like this is working as intended!

This seems to scale worse than PC ggpo as well. While pc ggpo seems playable from west coast to europe, this gets really choppy when I approach that amount of latency.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Behonkiss posted:

Ah, that explains it. I thought the C stood for combo or something else instead of crouch. I don't think the tutorial mentioned it.

It's explained in one of the tutorials in the left-most column what "s." and "j." mean, since you're actually supposed to go through the tutorials from column to column rather than row by row. It was weirding me out how some of the "later" tutorials were much easier than the "earlier" ones until I figured that out. They could've made that more obvious but what ya gonna do. The demo having all tutorials locked except for the top row didn't help matters.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
If anyone wants to watch a stream, my university fighting game club is streaming Skullgirls tonight at http://www.twitch.tv/team2a

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Relambrien posted:

If anyone wants to watch a stream, my university fighting game club is streaming Skullgirls tonight at http://www.twitch.tv/team2a

Is this Carnegie Mellon or Central Michigan?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friendly Friend posted:

Honestly reminds me of the Disgaea artstyle more then anything. It's seriously all I can see whenever I use it or get hit by it.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

flatluigi posted:

If it was slow-motion it would have different timing, though?

no the timing would be the exact same, just spaced out more. When I practice in training mode, I find I push the wrong buttons, or my timing was just a bit off on the middle of the string and I lose out on some damage, or the combo gets dropped. If I could slow things down, get the muscle memory perfect, then speed things up I would imagine it would up mine (and anyone else new the genre's) game considerably.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Anybody wanna run some sets on PSN? I keep getting paired up against the same dude and would like something new. jakedropkick is my handle.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sorry to spam the thread with Ms Fortune videos, but I finally got a mid-screen BnB that's untechable. 5.8k damage for zero meter, which isn't too bad. No 75% screen carry though. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HazoRJrPbg

I also made sure to include what's probably the best assist in the game for every character.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

This is really cool, but how about some notation so I can practice these? Parasoul's my third :)

I didnt make the video so I dont know them off the top of my head. I havent gotten the first one down but it starts like this and it has to be in the corner.
LK, crMP, crHP, down up HK, MP, crHP, jLK, jMK, jHK thats where I kinda lose it.

I havent worked on any of the others but this is a bnb
LK, LK, crMK, crHP, jMP, jHP, jHK, MK, MK, HP, HP, MP Napalm shot, Silent Scope, dash, crLK, crHP, jLP, jLK, jHP.

You can gently caress around with the intro depending on if you jumped in if so I like to do jHP, crLK, crMK, crHP and then start the first air string. The timing with the two heavies in the air is a little weird at first, you gotta start the air combo right at the peak of your jump. If your in the corner you dont need to dash in just wait for the tear to pop and launch.

edited the combo a little

The Sheriff Jake fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 13, 2012

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Evening. I'm running a Fortune (Nyanti-Air)/Filia (Hairball) team.

While I believe I'm starting to get a better idea of landing poo poo with Filia, I can't say the same with Fortune. Trying to find more reliable labwork mostly centering around getting her head involved in my ground pressure without messing up my launcher setup. At the same time, I have Filia set up to ground rushdown, and while I have Fortune's assist open them up on a jump-in... If I land, say, a c.MK, and call out Fortune at the same time as to have Fortune launch at the end of the c.MK, and then it's way beyond either reaching the victim for more combos, or the vertical height isn't correct, so my aerial raves are dropped like a rock :confused:

tl;dr I want this team to work, but it won't work with me. Seeking intermediate guidance on character synergy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

inthesto posted:

So after the red/blue spark thing, I went ahead and recorded my combon and looked through frame by frame to see if it was techable or not. It was. :(

Since I already had it recorded, I decided to toss it on YouTube, if anyone wants to take a look and see what they can derive from it for improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fszYZaZM3v8

Aside from the ground sparks, a good way to tell if a combo is techable after a ground bounce or not is to use a super that will otg. The super will literally not even touch them if they could tech from the fall.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm glad combos are coming in because I just cannot make a combo. My mind doesn't work like that. Anyone have tips for combo making?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

inthesto posted:

Sorry to spam the thread with Ms Fortune videos, but I finally got a mid-screen BnB that's untechable. 5.8k damage for zero meter, which isn't too bad. No 75% screen carry though. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HazoRJrPbg

I also made sure to include what's probably the best assist in the game for every character.

On the topic of Ms. Fortune combos I think you can do the following:

hitconfirm into launcher -> j.lp -> j. mp -> j.mk -> qcb j.mk -> land -> s.lp -> s.mk -> launcher -> j.lk -> j.mp -> j.fk into super and your opponent should not be able to tech.

It seems like whenever I was able to fully land j.mk into medium axe kick I could follow up with a ground combo into another launcher.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm glad combos are coming in because I just cannot make a combo. My mind doesn't work like that. Anyone have tips for combo making?

Try everything until you get an idea of the properties of moves and then it becomes a matter of recognizing how things will go together. The Skullgirls system is really open so basically anything can work, the main limiting factor is the IPS.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
Here's some cool Valentine combos, they're both usually 5000+ for no meter and you can do whatever you want at the end

Midscreen:
cr.mp cr.fp jc j.fp airdash j.mp(2) j.fp land j.lp j.mp(1) j.fp airdash j.mk land st.lpx2 st.mpx2 st.fkx3 > poison/super/level 3

Corner
cr.mp cr.fp jc j.fp airdash j.mp(2) j.fp land j.lp j.mp(1) j.fp land j.lk j.mk(1) j.hk(2) qcf+k OTG st.lk st.mpx2 st.hkx3 > poison/super/level 3

You can use other comfirms but you will have to change the number of j.mp hits at the start to compensate for the extra pushback from say cr.mk cr.hp starter

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
So now I'm at the scrub stage of trying to do combos after hit confirmation. Can anyone give me a good/basic one for Filia I can try to master? I always ends up just doing c.mk, c.hk, hairball, Gregor Samson, hairball.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Cerebella in the corner, 1 meter.

jHP double jump before you hit the ground, jHP 2LP 2MP 2HP jHP double jump jHP 2LP(OTG, I see no blue spark just red, but it would be nice if someone else could check) 2MP 2HP 623LP+LK 236PP. 9272.

This character is pretty bad, but good god don't let her ever open you up in the corner.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

the Gaffe posted:

So now I'm at the scrub stage of trying to do combos after hit confirmation. Can anyone give me a good/basic one for Filia I can try to master? I always ends up just doing c.mk, c.hk, hairball, Gregor Samson, hairball.

End ground strings with HP, her launcher, then j.LK j.MK j.HK land c.LK c.MK c.HK Hairball H Gregor Samson. It is not optimized at all, it's just a decent combo that sort of came to me while playing, but is pretty easy to do. You could probably do a relaunch and smack your opponent a few more times in the air, then do Hairball into Gregor Samson. Air Hairball doesn't change power with different strengths, it changes trajectory, HK arcs down, MK goes forward, and LK arcs up. I have a hell of a time connecting with Hairball after the second relaunch, though.

Is there an accepted name other than Gregor Samson? Roach super? Transform? Ultimate Filia?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FZeroRacer posted:

On the topic of Ms. Fortune combos I think you can do the following:

hitconfirm into launcher -> j.lp -> j. mp -> j.mk -> qcb j.mk -> land -> s.lp -> s.mk -> launcher -> j.lk -> j.mp -> j.fk into super and your opponent should not be able to tech.

It seems like whenever I was able to fully land j.mk into medium axe kick I could follow up with a ground combo into another launcher.

This does appear to be untechable, thanks. You can squeeze a little more damage out if you modify it to this:

launch j.MP j.HP air dash j.MK j.214MK s.LP s.MK s.HK j.LP j.LK j.HK super

Due to damage scaling, it seems like you want to stick your mediums and hards towards the front of your combos as much as possible. Also, the super ender doesn't work on Painwheel (because her juggle hitbox is criminally small), so it's probably worth testing on other characters.

EDIT: Okay, it tags Painwheel if you skip the last j.LK. God drat, you have to tweak your juggles for every matchup. :mad:

inthesto fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 13, 2012

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This just in: Microsoft Japan contacted Konami and Reverge because they were overwhelmed by people calling in asking why Skullgirls isn't out in Japan yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Broken Loose posted:

This just in: Microsoft Japan contacted Konami and Reverge because they were overwhelmed by people calling in asking why Skullgirls isn't out in Japan yet.

It must be a Japanese thing to call the company directly asking about things.

• Locked thread