Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Veev posted:

This is art.

I saw that and instantly started cracking up. totally backed that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

El_Matarife posted:

That's basically what I'm expecting too, but I'm expecting a sales decline of 5-10% in a year before they figure it out. And I'm guessing some heads will roll in the upper echelons of a few publishers too, when they don't meet their numbers. I just don't know that we're going to see any Kickstarted games on XBLA / PSN until they loosen up the restrictions a LOT, and stop nickel and diming small companies for pushing patches or more free content to existing games.

Consoles are dead, pc gaming supremacy, I knew YCS was right goddamn...wait or was it the other way round? But seriously kickstarter is a drop when compared to the mainstream ocean. It's loving amazing that it exists but you're pulling 5-10% numbers out of air to make your argument sound valid - it's not. Small studios can get funding via kickstarter to create niche games that wouldn't surface otherwise. The word "niche" is a key here. Big studios won't change their ways because of this, just like Notch's remarkable success with Minecraft didn't make big studios start releasing titles as pre-orders or start listening to their communities.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 12, 2012

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Did you know that Your World has a website? Because I didn't!

http://www.yourworldinc.com/
I kept waiting for the background to finish loading... Then I realised it was blurry because it was stretched :(.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quarex posted:

Except hmm I am supposed to do a Wasteland Let's Play, aw dammit, whatever.
…and it must be a video LP complete with pc-speaker beep sounds. :allears:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
This is just hilarious to watch. I just love the sounds of a resturant being played while the pirate totally breaks the fourth wall or something. :allears:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/policewarfare/police-warfare

Battlefield 3 but with cops and robbers. Great presentation, but that $100 tier reward is gonna piss people off.

Edit: "Police Warfare: Did someone say tasters guns?!?"

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

edit: nope

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 7, 2019

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Palpek posted:

Consoles are dead, pc gaming supremacy, I knew YCS was right goddamn...wait or was it the other way round? But seriously kickstarter is a drop when compared to the mainstream ocean. It's loving amazing that it exists but you're pulling 5-10% numbers out of air to make your argument sound valid - it's not. Small studios can get funding via kickstarter to create niche games that wouldn't surface otherwise. The word "niche" is a key here. Big studios won't change their ways because of this, just like Notch's remarkable success with Minecraft didn't make big studios start releasing titles as pre-orders or start listening to their communities.

The Pareto 80/20 ratio cuts in a lot of different ways. One way to read it is that 20% of the titles are probably getting 80% of the sales. The other way to read it is that 20% of the sales are being made by the other 80% of titles. Individually, niche titles are small, but together they're probably making up a significant portion of sales.

In 2011, "big movie fatigue"* might have caused a 5% or $500 million year over year box office decline compared to 2010. It's already happened to some genres, and we're already at the end of the current console generation's lifecycle. I'm pretty sure we're going to see a year over year decline in software sales for consoles within the next two to three years.

Indie games or niche titles aren't going to replace Call of Duty by any means.

*(There's a lot of potential explanations, including the hangover from Avatar's late 2009 release. I personally attribute it to big movie fatigue due to the amount of $100+ million budget movies that flopped.)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Star Guarded posted:

I think the artist sketched over Team Fortress 2 screenshots.

What? I don't see anything that would even remotely suggest that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

Do you have your 1994 list? Because now I think this will be my new "side mission" once the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter ends. Except hmm I am supposed to do a Wasteland Let's Play, aw dammit, whatever.

My 1994 list is just the words "System Shock" repeated until I run out of paper. :colbert:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

mutata posted:

One guy in one picture is wearing a balaclava that looks like the one the Spy wears. That's seriously all I can find.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

edit: nope

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 7, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

mutata posted:

Don't forget that goons are blind and dwell in mole-like tunnels.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Star Guarded posted:

Guess not - the body language in the hands reminded me of something from Team Fortress, so I thought maybe the artist might have used something from an animation as a reference. I didn't mean it as a bad thing, by the way, but I should have phrased it better.

Understood. As an artist, I'm sure I got a little defensive. This project seems to be part of the 0.5% on Kickstarter that actually has professional-looking concept art.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Am I the only person sick of people saying "by gamers, for gamers" in their Kickstarters?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm assuming all of you have already seen this site?

http://poo poo-starter.tumblr.com/

:cripes:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Am I the only person sick of people saying "by gamers, for gamers" in their Kickstarters?
I have not noticed it, but I probably would be sick of it if I had. Though if Brian Fargo said it, he gets a pass, given that this was literally Interplay's motto for decades. It may still be.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

floor is lava posted:

I'm assuming all of you have already seen this site?

http://poo poo-starter.tumblr.com/

:cripes:

Oh god, there are some absolutely horrible things on here.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Quarex posted:

I have not noticed it, but I probably would be sick of it if I had. Though if Brian Fargo said it, he gets a pass, given that this was literally Interplay's motto for decades. It may still be.

I've seen it on at least 5 Kickstarters and at least once on IndieGoGo.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

My 1994 list is just the words "System Shock" repeated until I run out of paper. :colbert:

I want wing commander back:\

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tortured Hearts GUI mockup.

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t451/ElidaVenn/?action=view&current=GUI_Mockup.jpg

I actually kinda like it. Too bad they're not going to get the money.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Megazver posted:

Tortured Hearts GUI mockup.

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t451/ElidaVenn/?action=view&current=GUI_Mockup.jpg

I actually kinda like it. Too bad they're not going to get the money.
They did an interview: http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=191&ref=0&id=496
It seems like they're aware they're doing some things wrong and but aren't quite grasping what needs to change.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

mutata posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/policewarfare/police-warfare

Battlefield 3 but with cops and robbers. Great presentation, but that $100 tier reward is gonna piss people off.

Because the market is in dire need of more multiplayer first person shooters?

quote:

Members of the team have worked on games such as Far Cry 3, Gears Of War, Crysis 1/2, Assassin's Creed 2, Medal Of Honor: Airborne, Golden Eye, Killzone 2, and Grand Theft Auto 4.

quote:

We've worked at companies such as Ubisoft, Epic Games, Electronic Arts and Crytek.

The team is literally made up of people who developed the current generation man shoots. I've refrained from saying anything negative about any kickstarter project so far, but why does this project need crowd-sourcing? It's practically the exact game all the current publishers will lap up and fund. Even with the "creative control" they could have over the game due to it being crowd-sourced, the concept art may as well be from the next iteration of Battlefield.

e: VVVVV That was also kind of the point of my post. With the other projects you can defend against the whole "investment that you don't get a return on" thing when the result is a product which otherwise wouldn't exist, or is from a genre that main stream gaming has abandoned. Kickstarter is the answer for gamers who "want their niche back". What's this project? Producing the exact same product that the rest of the industry produces but without taking any risks, don't worry about taking out a real loan or having to lay out a proper business plan to secure a publisher, just put up a kickstarter page. If you succeed, you get rich and if you don't, who cares? They won't have to pay it back and it's a newly formed company, so there is no reputation to ruin.

Xik fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 13, 2012

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Xik posted:

The team is literally made up of people who developed the current generation man shoots. I've refrained from saying anything negative about any kickstarter project so far, but why does this project need crowd-sourcing? It's practically the exact game all the current publishers will lap up and fund. Even with the "creative control" they could have over the game due to it being crowd-sourced, the concept art may as well be from the next iteration of Battlefield.

If you raise money through investment funding sources, full creative control is only one of the things you give up - the other thing is the lion's share of any profits, possibly for all time. This usually means that if the business is a success the already-rich investors get bumped up to super-rich status, the company founders and maybe a few early employees get bumped up to rich status, and everyone else involved gets a relatively small lump of cash.

On the other hand if you can get your money in the form of a grant-like Kickstarter fund and are successful, you are only pledging to give out a handful of free copies of the game/signed posters/buttons/whatever one time. You get to keep that 90%+ of your profits that would have gone back to 'real' investors and everyone at the company gets moved one notch further up the rich scale than they would have been otherwise.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

PDP-1 posted:

On the other hand if you can get your money in the form of a grant-like Kickstarter fund and are successful, you are only pledging to give out a handful of free copies of the game/signed posters/buttons/whatever one time. You get to keep that 90%+ of your profits that would have gone back to 'real' investors and everyone at the company gets moved one notch further up the rich scale than they would have been otherwise.

It also means that the money from the project gets kept in the cycle.

Previously if a game did just 'okay' (Like niche titles are well known to do) the lions share of the money would go directly to the publisher, and the developers would be back to begging and pleading for funding to make another game of the same genre.

With crowdsourcing, all the profits from the project go directly back to the developer in order to fund their next game, meaning that niche titles can survive independently. Also for the consumer it means that voting with your wallet will actually loving mean something again.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

AntiPseudonym posted:

It also means that the money from the project gets kept in the cycle.

Previously if a game did just 'okay' (Like niche titles are well known to do) the lions share of the money would go directly to the publisher, and the developers would be back to begging and pleading for funding to make another game of the same genre.

With crowdsourcing, all the profits from the project go directly back to the developer in order to fund their next game, meaning that niche titles can survive independently. Also for the consumer it means that voting with your wallet will actually loving mean something again.

Pretty much this.

I never understood how "The people that make the games their company are getting more wealthy!" is bad thing. Like the current system of the Publisher sluicing off profits as a rear end in a top hat middle-man and meddler is in any way better.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Berk Berkly posted:

Pretty much this.

I never understood how "The people that make the games their company are getting more wealthy!" is bad thing. Like the current system of the Publisher sluicing off profits as a rear end in a top hat middle-man and meddler is in any way better.

There's this weird mentality floating around where I guess people think that game devs should just be scraping by the skin of their teeth every month.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

NINbuntu 64 posted:

There's this weird mentality floating around where I guess people think that game devs should just be scraping by the skin of their teeth every month.

Seriously. Its like people think the Publishers somehow actually benefit Developers or Consumers. They are much more of mostly-necessary evil more than anything.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'm loving the idea of more power being taken away from the publishers and placed into the hands of the developers.

It's not all just about developers taken the lion share but the publishers are responsible for some of the most frustrating things for me when buying games such as DRM and regional pricing differences not to mention the latest trends with DLC.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

That cop and robbers game sounds fun to me, but I might just be desperate to play a game even remotely like SWAT again:

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Davincie posted:

That cop and robbers game sounds fun to me, but I might just be desperate to play a game even remotely like SWAT again:

it will be nothing like swat. maybe that's the kickstarter i give a 1000$ to. swat 5 :allears:

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Isn't there a game exactly like that on Kickstarter right now?

Holy poo poo this is actually really disturbing: http://poo poo-starter.tumblr.com/post/20992117178/the-brohoof-podcast

It's like reading a classic weekend web entry. Disturbing and hilarious.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Berk Berkly posted:

Seriously. Its like people think the Publishers somehow actually benefit Developers or Consumers. They are much more of mostly-necessary evil more than anything.

In theory publishers ARE good for both developers, since they deal with marketing and distribution so the developers can focus on the game, and consumers because it means that the games are easier to find and buy.

The problem is that the power dynamic has become completely hosed up because the games are funded almost entirely by publishers which means that they hold the reins for both the cash flow AND the distribution method, so they can make outlandish requests like getting the IP rights, demanding certain elements are included and the like.

In a better world, publishers would be someone that you go to near the end of the development cycle, not right at the beginning.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
For anyone who was complaining that the Leisure Suit Larry kickstarter only offered digital items up until the $100 tier, they now have a tier at $40 that gives you a backer-exclusive Lefty's Bar T-shirt.

Both this and the Jane Jensen kickstarter look like they're going to make it, which is fantastic because their very existence has made me nostalgic for early-'90s adven*projectile vomits*

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Sendo posted:

I'm loving the idea of more power being taken away from the publishers and placed into the hands of the developers.

It's not all just about developers taken the lion share but the publishers are responsible for some of the most frustrating things for me when buying games such as DRM and regional pricing differences not to mention the latest trends with DLC.

This, times a million. Right at the tail-end of the .com boom some college friends and I started a company via venture capital funding. We eventually raised the $60M needed to build a place from the ground up, but had to sell a huge share of the company to do so.

We were young and dumb and all "yay, we're building a company" while our investors were operating more on a "yay, we get to cash out hard when the time is right" frame of mind. This set up a core tension within the organization where we had to fight constantly to do things like long-term internal R&D which wouldn't produce a profit right away but were critical to maintaining steady growth and success. Our investors constantly wanted to reduce headcount, up working hours, cut corners wherever we could, and generally pull any lovely trick that would bump up on-paper profits so that they could sell us off to some random bidder for slightly more money. I'm out of that business now, and thankful for it.

Kickstarter, or anything like it that allows startups to get the cash they need while bypassing the investor class gets my thumbs up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dvorak posted:

Holy poo poo this is actually really disturbing: http://poo poo-starter.tumblr.com/post/20992117178/the-brohoof-podcast

gently caress that, THIS is the best the best kickstarter brought to light by that tumblr: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1279009184/seekers-of-the-paranormal

That pitch video is amazing.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

dvorak posted:

Okay, here's another "should be loving obvious" video tip that nobody asked for:

If you live in a lovely basement with horrible giant loving cracks on the wall and exposed plumbing, for the love of god, keep that poo poo out of frame. Angle the camera down so it's not in shot, cover giant cracks in the wall with a tasteful/relevant poster. So yeah, if you're making a brony podcast, toss some ponies up there. Whatever, know your audience.

Second: Light your loving face. As a general rule of thumb, the focus of the shot should be a full stop brighter than the rest of the frame. Since most people don't really have the technical means/knowhow to know how to do this, just make sure you're lighter than the background and that there aren't any harsh shadows being cast on your face. You can make a softbox that will do wonders for this for around $20-$25. It will make your videos look fantastic. If you can, try and eliminate shadows on the area behind you as well.

These are only minor problems with the video there, but they're things that will likely affect anyone here if they're going to be making a video for Kickstarter.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

gently caress that, THIS is the best the best kickstarter brought to light by that tumblr: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1279009184/seekers-of-the-paranormal

If I had seen that I would have given him $100 just for the change to hear a whole thing narrated by him :allears:

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I love how all the dialogue was ADR because they weren't smart enough to buy a $25 shotgun mic for the camera.

And they're investigating fake ghosts for an internet TV show. Who would ever pay for them to do that? Besides the fact that it's loving stupid, I'm sure YouTube has about 500 amateur ghost hunters already.

What a great tumblr though, I'll deffo be following it for more hilarious SEEEEKERS OFFFF THE PAAAAAARAAAANORMAAAALLL quality efforts.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

Xik posted:

Because the market is in dire need of more multiplayer first person shooters?

e: VVVVV That was also kind of the point of my post. With the other projects you can defend against the whole "investment that you don't get a return on" thing when the result is a product which otherwise wouldn't exist, or is from a genre that main stream gaming has abandoned. Kickstarter is the answer for gamers who "want their niche back". What's this project? Producing the exact same product that the rest of the industry produces but without taking any risks, don't worry about taking out a real loan or having to lay out a proper business plan to secure a publisher, just put up a kickstarter page. If you succeed, you get rich and if you don't, who cares? They won't have to pay it back and it's a newly formed company, so there is no reputation to ruin.

I like how battlefield looks, the art style being similar is a plus. I want a game like battlefield but on a lighter infantry scale, in an urban setting, just like this game. Awesome, glad we're not getting more cornball poo poo like battlefield Heroes. And i'm not sure and i'm too lazy to look but it doesn't seem to be a multiplatform release which could mean good pc support? Frankly, all i've wanted was a 'mainstream' CoD or Battlefield type game that is supported like a classic pc game and not a port. With time to actually support their product and to do so relatively quickly, i'd be getting the game i've always wanted. The only thing that keeps me from playing games like battlefield or CoD too much is poor gamebreaking balance decisions, slow patching afterwards, and general lack of input from customers and this publisher strong arming that seems to happen so often.

The way I see it, today we have a ton of shooters that are good, but not quite good enough to be played for years like some of the classic fps mods I played. There are no reliable shooters to turn back to these days, MW2 = tube/claymore city, poor support, inconsistent hitreg, dead, MW3 = bad weapon balance, bad maps, poor hitreg, dead. Bad Company 2 = fun, poor hitreg, no more content, abused setups, consolized player limits/maps, dead. Battlefield 3 = fun sometimes, consolized patching schedule, weird problems from multiplatform release, annoying game drm, selling us dlc without fixing the game.

I just want a battlefield or cod game that isn't driven by selling dlc and production schedules. A game that blends tactical action with movie action, has responsive pc controls, and has all its netcode set up for people in 2012 that have cable and dsl standard, oh and something that runs good. Plus, doesn't rappelling down a wall while shooting people with a desert eagle sound cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
So Victor Ireland finally got around to posting a video of Class of Heroes 2 today on their kickstarter page. Funny thing is, it's video from the PS3 version. Oh, and about that too. Ya know how he said that regardless of the funding, the digital versions of the PSP and PS3 versions were going to come out? He poked his head out of its hidey hole again over at Neogaf, and when the subject of the PS3 version came up, his story is now "We'd like to (release the PS3 version), but we don't have Sony approval for the game." So yeah, another "definite" detail from him isn't, and the video representing the game is from the version on a different platform. Gotta love that Kickstarter.