Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vincent Valentine posted:

The name of it is an "Aggravation", you can guess how it got the name.

This is totally fair. I grew up around beer snobs, and people complicating what is supposed to be the most simple joy one can experience made me really, really angry and I swore I'd never do it. That said, most bartenders spend a shitload of time learning about alcohol and why one thing goes with another, or why one thing is a particularly good brand, and a lot of this is evident in drink names like the popular Rusty Nail. I can't expect everyone to know the etiquette behind drinking, and I can't expect everyone to know what should be really blatantly obvious choices(no you idiot don't order Baileys and Lime Juice what the gently caress is wrong with you). It might give me that twinge of frustration, but I deal with it.

But if you order Liquor and Coke, you aren't ordering something because you like the taste. You're ordering it because you want to get drunk. The difference in taste between a rum and coke and a scotch and coke is negligible. Why bother? Just get some rotgut out of the well, throw it in with coke and you're set and everyone goes home happy. Taking really nice brands and giving them the same treatment is a sign that you don't care and just want to be drunk, and I hate dealing with drunks.

It isn't. like someone said above, try a Brandy Alexander instead.

Sorry but what? If you can't tell the difference between whiskey and coke and rum and coke (or among whiskey and rum varieties in coke) you're doing something really really wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Holy Christ, that's 200-300 dollars a bottle here(!!). I suspect the Australia tax is at work on that. Unfortunately that's a bit much for my pocket.

The 23 year is about $300 USD where I live (in the US), so it's not as bad as you think. That being said, I wouldn't buy the 23 at $300/bottle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

the most simple joy one can experience
You're not supposed to put your dick in the whiskey.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Sorry but what? If you can't tell the difference between whiskey and coke and rum and coke (or among whiskey and rum varieties in coke) you're doing something really really wrong.

Most people agree that specific brands taste better than others in specific cocktails. And virtually anyone that drinks can discern the differece between a rum & coke and a whiskey & coke.

What he is saying is that while the rum or whiskey you choose for your coke will impact its taste to a degree, its not enough to warrant using anything expensive. Using Pappy Van Winkle 23 or Jim Beam doesn't change the taste much because of sodas intense sugary flavor, syrupy texture and carbonation. It just ends up tasting like soda with "your alcohol here". No one sits down and to slow sips a rum & coke or whiskey & coke to savor the complexity. He is also implying that the alcohol & coke drink is only for getting drunk which simply isn't true.

Some people just like the taste of Pepsi. :colbert:

Ample fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 3, 2013

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

But if you order Liquor and Coke, you aren't ordering something because you like the taste. You're ordering it because you want to get drunk. The difference in taste between a rum and coke and a scotch and coke is negligible. Why bother? Just get some rotgut out of the well, throw it in with coke and you're set and everyone goes home happy. Taking really nice brands and giving them the same treatment is a sign that you don't care and just want to be drunk, and I hate dealing with drunks.

The taste between a rum and a coke and a whisky and a coke is negligible only if you use the cheapest swills available, when the alcohol rules over other qualities of the spirit. A decent rum works very nicely together with coke, I'm not sure why, probably because they are both based on sugar. Try mixing a premium rum like, say, Eldorado 15yo or a Zacapa 23 Solera and you have something really really nice in the glass. Based on my experience, scotch is definitely a weaker match for coke than rum. A peaty scotch can even be a bit nasty.

But then again, I've tasted scotch & coke only a few times. In general, I've liked blends better than single malts. It's actually on my todo list to explore the topic a bit more and I've been planning to run a tasting for whisky and coke, just for the hell of it. A couple of blends, a sherried speysider, something peaty (maybe a Lagavulin), something from first fill bourbon and maybe even some Japanese, Yamazaki 18yo should be excellent.

But I get what you are saying, it is annoying when you see someone downing a good whisky just for the alcohol in it, making obvious measures to 'hide the taste'. However, even then, refusing to pour the drink is in my opinion a drastic act, a bit of a 1920s thing.

smn fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 10, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Ample posted:

Some people just like the taste of Pepsi. :colbert:
We need the Pepsi Challenge with whiskies. In one unmarked glass is Pappy 15yr and the other contains W.L. Weller Special Reserve. Can you tell the difference?

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

kidsafe posted:

We need the Pepsi Challenge with whiskies. In one unmarked glass is Pappy 15yr and the other contains W.L. Weller Special Reserve. Can you tell the difference?

You can mix anything you want. In the case of Yamazaki 18 year old, its aged over 18 years in three different barrels from three difference countries. The Yamazaki Distillery is also Japan's first Whiskey distillery. There is a lot of time, effort, and history that goes into making Yamazkai 18 year old what it is. That includes its delicate flavors, complexity ect.

Soda is essentially fructose corn syrup, carbonated Water and citric acid. Its also extremely sweet. I think a lot of those subtle flavors, textures and overtones earned from ageing are destroyed or masked when you mix it with soda. There are plenty of other cocktails, in the case of the Scotch category (Blood & Sand, Rob Roy, Rusty nail) that highlight the spirits rather than mask them. But this is just my opinion and I know some people disagree with it.

Ample fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 3, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Hmm, I wasn't implying that someone should mix Pappy 15-20-23yr with soft drinks. I was just wondering how many people wouldn't be able to distinguish a $15 screw-cap bourbon from one that gets the community into a frenzy every year. Bottles of Pappy 15yr end up being chucked on eBay for >$200

Like this example from a K&L

Not quite the same...it's a handpicked cask strength single-barrel Four Roses vs Pappy 15yr. I'm surprised that so many people got it wrong. If you're a whisky freak, you should probably at least be able to identify the distinctive rye flavor in one and none in the other...

Speaking of which, the Pappy frenzy is *tonight* for me. Wondering if I should go for the 15yr ($70) or 20yr ($110).

EDIT: Looks like they had 7 bottles of 15yr, 4 of 20yr, 7 of 23yr split between three stores...and I sucked at pressing F5 so better luck next time!

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 12, 2012

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I drink my whiskey and cokes at like at 2:1 whisky to coke ratio, don't know what you guys are doing.

Had a Chivas and Antica Formula Rob Roy tonight. Good, but the cinnamon of the Antica drown out the smokey notes of the scotch. I've had a Chivas and Martin & Rossi sweet vermoth rob roy, it was better because all the scotch notes still shone through.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Beyond a certain point, price is no longer about taste but about scarcity and uniqueness.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

wormil posted:

Beyond a certain point, price is no longer about taste but about scarcity and uniqueness.

For sure. I mean is a 500 dollar whisky ten times better than a fifty dollar one? I love whisky, but I like it to drink, not to stack on my shelf and gaze wistfully at because I spent several hundred dollars on it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The liquor store by me has four bottles of this:

http://www.greatbourbon.com/vanwinklesr.aspx

$49.99 a piece. Is that a pretty good price? It's the only time I've ever seen any van winkle stuff in a store before, although I don't hear as much about the 12 year as I do about the 15 and 20. Should I go back and get some?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 15 as some kind of desperate attempt to make myself like whisky, but it hasn't worked :(

To me it tastes just like Famouse Grouse, which is the only other one I've tried, and which I hated. I'm a Scotsman, I'm supposed to love this stuff!

Edit: and I put a ton of water in it. Sorry, this isn't really a "DERP DERP HOW DO I DRINK THIS" post. I'm merely lamenting my terrible sense of taste.

paint dry fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 13, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

paint dry posted:

I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 15 as some kind of desperate attempt to make myself like whisky, but it hasn't worked :(

To me it tastes just like Famouse Grouse, which is the only other one I've tried, and which I hated. I'm a Scotsman, I'm supposed to love this stuff!

Edit: and I put a ton of water in it. Sorry, this isn't really a "DERP DERP HOW DO I DRINK THIS" post. I'm merely lamenting my terrible sense of taste.

The only recourse is to try an Islay. You'll either fall in love with it or you're no true scotsman someone who doesn't like whisky.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wormil posted:

With regard to Pappy, it's a unique situation right now. We are very near the last bottlings of Stitzel-Weller 20yr. The 15yr is now from spirit distilled at Buffalo Trace. Both expressions are equally scarce.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Ample posted:

Unfortunately as with all tasting evaluations, you can't judge what wasn't submitted. Laphroaig is owned by Beam Inc. and in difficult economic periods its not uncommon for parent companies to withhold established brands from tasting competitions and rather focus their budget, time and energy on up and coming brands.

Edit: A tasting award, medal, icon will always be helpful to any product. Even to a brand with as a devout following and reputation as Laphroaig - medals mean something and create industry buzz. However a tasting award will have a significantly larger impact on a brand looking to break into markets, distributors, importers and even retailers. Brand diversification is a really interesting part of the industry. There are companies like Brown-Forman, who make jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, that really suffered from the recession because most of their brands are priced in the premium range.

Nah. It's more to do with the entry fee per bottle for most of these competitions. Why would/should a distiller pay to enter their product in a competition (of which there are countless) when, in the world of malt, people are more likely to pay attention to one man's tasting notes for the year?
$395 to enter a spirit in a competition very few people care about? Wonderful.

There's about 2 awards worth paying attention to across the industry, and a lot of the judging competitions are nothing more than a free flight, accommodation and tasting session for the judges. I don't think anyone needs a judge to tell them 25 year old Glenfarclas is a good whisky.

There's a few places like Bruichladdich who're heavily into being trend-driven and are pretty much the butt of a lot of jokes in Scotland for the reams of utterly mediocre expressions they've been releasing for the last decade.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010
Found a very interesting bottle at Newtown Vintage Cellars, Montgomerie's Single Cask Clynelish 32yo 1974/2006 (http://www.whisky-monitor.com/bottle.jsp?bid=3599&bottling=Clynelish+32yo+1974/2006).

Interestingly the one rating it has from Whisky-Monitor is Craig Daniels who is also an Australian. Seems very obscure on the internet and a very odd find... I got it for only AU$70!!!

Seems a bit hard to find much on it compared to some bottles but I did find these tasting notes too: http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14028&start=70

I bought it straight away after the whisky-monitor rating, it may not be 90+ and blow the world away but it should now be the oldest whisky I own and snapped up for a mere AU$70. Quite curious!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just want to say I really enjoy the occasional bourbon and coke and I don't see anything wrong with it. Usually the best I'll use is Maker's, but I've been known to mix some Knob Creek Single Barrel with coke. gently caress the haters.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

revmoo posted:

I just want to say I really enjoy the occasional bourbon and coke and I don't see anything wrong with it. Usually the best I'll use is Maker's, but I've been known to mix some Knob Creek Single Barrel with coke. gently caress the haters.

I'd just like to say, I don't agree with your use of those fine bourbons, but I will defend your right to defile them for your own enjoyment.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I've had a longstanding desire to drink a scotch older than myself. Obviously this gets to be more difficult as time goes on. I turn 29 this year so I'm looking at 30r stuff but its scary to make that kind of investment blind so I'm tying to learn what's worthwhile since I'm very wary of snakeoil in liquor sales. I don't want to spend more than $300 if I can help it. Can I even play at that price range and get something worth the money? I'm in the US, in Atlanta if that helps pricing/availability.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Edit: Derail.

Ample fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 3, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mango sentinel posted:

So I've had a longstanding desire to drink a scotch older than myself. Obviously this gets to be more difficult as time goes on. I turn 29 this year so I'm looking at 30r stuff but its scary to make that kind of investment blind so I'm tying to learn what's worthwhile since I'm very wary of snakeoil in liquor sales. I don't want to spend more than $300 if I can help it. Can I even play at that price range and get something worth the money? I'm in the US, in Atlanta if that helps pricing/availability.
If I could pick one that is generally available it would be Ardmore 30yr. Age is used to temper a scotch whisky, and in a plain old Speysider there's really not much to tame at all. That's where Ardmore's rich Speyside flavor plus peatiness comes in.

Also call around and look for Port Ellen 8th release. It's 29 years-old and at least here it's still sold for a clip under $400. More than you want to spend, but it'll make for some very jealous folk in here.

Other options: Talisker 30yr, Glenfiddich 30yr, various independently bottled Caol Ilas.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

After 25 years you're entering a real collectible / status symbol echelon for Scotch. $300.00 is the bare minimum in that range and your selection is going to be relatively limited. People who buy these Scotches are either truly passionate about a brand, a Scotch collector, or someone looking to showcase their success or celebrate a milestone. You should never really shop for Scotch based on only price and age alone though unless you only care about showcasing the age. If you go that route choose a brand people know. But both age and cost alone are poor indicators of quality.

A 30 year old Scotch is a luxury item and sizable investment. I mean you could by a a collection of Scotches from each region for the price of some of them. I would recommend buying something you really like. Its a horrible feeling to spend a lot of money on something you end up hating. A lot of the whiskey events showcase older expressions from 25 years and up. I recommend attending one where you could sample and speak directly to the brand ambassadors. You could even ask where to buy the whiskey of your choice.

You wouldn't walk into a car dealership and say, I want a car for {X} amount made on {X} year. You could walk away with anything, all the way from a minivan to convertible. Additionally you wouldn't buy a car without at least driving it once.

Ample fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 3, 2013

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Ample posted:

Stuff

And while I don't claim to know very much about old Whisky, from what I've heard, old age doesn't necessarily guarantee that's it better than a younger bottle. In older whiskies, I've heard that the flavors are often more muted and take on more character of the vessel they were aged in.

However, drinking an old rear end whisky would still be pretty cool, I'll admit. There's no way I could stomach spending $300+ on a single bottle though.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Ample posted:

After 25 years you're entering a real collectible / status symbol echelon for Scotch. $300.00 is the bare minimum in that range and your selection is going to be relatively limited. People who buy these Scotches are either truly passionate about a brand, a Scotch collector, or someone looking to showcase their success or celebrate a milestone. You should never really shop for Scotch based on only price and age alone though unless you only care about showcasing the age. If you go that route choose a brand people know. But both age and cost alone are poor indicators of quality.

A 30 year old Scotch is a luxury item and sizable investment. I mean you could by a a collection of Scotches from each region for the price of some of them. I would recommend buying something you really like. Its a horrible feeling to spend a lot of money on something you end up hating. A lot of the whiskey events showcase older expressions from 25 years and up. I recommend attending one where you could sample and speak directly to the brand ambassadors. You could even ask where to buy the whiskey of your choice.

I apologize for the car analogy but you wouldn't walk into a car dealership and say, I want a car for {X} amount made on {X} year. You could walk away with anything, all the way from a minivan to convertible. Additionally you wouldn't buy a car without at least driving it once. I'm a pretty big fan of Talisker though and I've never had the 30 year old. So if you buy one get that and then tell me about it.

^^ this. I had the same goal, but I was already into scotch and I knew I wanted Laphroaig, so Laphroaig 25 was the obvious choice. If you're not already a scotch drinker, I can't say I would recommend jumping straight to 30yo expressions -- you could very easily end up with something you'll hate.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

mango sentinel posted:

Get something from one of the independent bottlers, they are often the only source of very old whisky that actually approaches affordable. Lombard, Gordon & Macphail, Douglas Laing, and Murray Mcdavid are just some of the bottlers I've dealt with to a great degree of satisfaction. Last week I had a Douglas Laing 27yo Port Ellen that was so good I ripped off all my clothes and went out into the parking lot and started punching out car windows.

edit: here's a cool list of ibs on malt madness:http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/bottlers.html

Haverchuck fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 17, 2012

Dibrok
Feb 12, 2010
Has anyone had the pleasure of trying the MacKinlay's Shackleton Whiskey? A local store just acquired 200 or so bottles and at $220 a bottle I was hoping to get some feedback before investing.

For more information on the whiskey I would recommend this site:http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2011/04/shackletons-whisky-mackinlays-reborn/

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

Dibrok posted:

Has anyone had the pleasure of trying the MacKinlay's Shackleton Whiskey? A local store just acquired 200 or so bottles and at $220 a bottle I was hoping to get some feedback before investing.

For more information on the whiskey I would recommend this site:http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2011/04/shackletons-whisky-mackinlays-reborn/

No personal experience but Malt Monitor is favourable: http://www.whisky-monitor.com/bottle.jsp?bid=14668&bottling=Mackinlay+%27Shackleton+Replica%27

Serge also reviewed it: http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveapril11-1.html#110411

Some people's views on both of these kinds of sources are dim but it does give you some idea of if something is terrible or not :)

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012
I AM THE GHOST OF DON BRASH FROM 2005, IF YOU DON'T SAY "ONE LAW FOR ALL" FIVE TIMES IN THE MIRROR I'LL COME INTO YOUR THREAD TONIGHT AND SPOUT RACIST DOGWHISTLES FOR TWENTY PAGES
A local store had a couple of bottles of Ardbeg Supernova 2010 on special. So I bought one out of curiosity.

Will crack it open tonight. Should be interesting.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Miguel Angel Face posted:

A local store had a couple of bottles of Ardbeg Supernova 2010 on special. So I bought one out of curiosity.

Will crack it open tonight. Should be interesting.

I'd like to hear about your opinion of it. I've heard some people claim its overpriced and gimmicky and some say its incredible. I know they measure the peatyness in the bottle in PPUs. Very weird.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Finshed off a bottle of Yamazaki Sherry Cask last night, and followed that up with a big dram of Brora 30.

Both exceptional whiskies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I still have an unopened Yamazaki SC. :c00l:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I have 2 :c00l::c00l:

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012
I AM THE GHOST OF DON BRASH FROM 2005, IF YOU DON'T SAY "ONE LAW FOR ALL" FIVE TIMES IN THE MIRROR I'LL COME INTO YOUR THREAD TONIGHT AND SPOUT RACIST DOGWHISTLES FOR TWENTY PAGES

NightConqueror posted:

I'd like to hear about your opinion of it. I've heard some people claim its overpriced and gimmicky and some say its incredible. I know they measure the peatyness in the bottle in PPUs. Very weird.

I rather enjoyed it. But I'd class it as a winter whiskey as the taste is fairly robust. The peat aroma is quite intense but I didn't think it over-powered the taste.

I'd certainly drink it again. But at $150 a bottle I won't be drinking a lot of it.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

spankmeister posted:

I've emptied mine ages ago :(

Then again I think I like the Yamazaki 18 better, and I have one of those open!

*Goes to whisky cupboard*

wutheringbites
Nov 3, 2008
Hey, is it okay to ask here about buying whisky as a present? I'll delete if not :) There's a wealth of knowledge here and I know nothing about whisky and don't want to give someone something that they definitely wouldn't like. Would anyone be able to advise me on a good, safe-bet bottle for someone who tends to alternate between Bell's and Grant's Scotch whisky (limits of student budget), but would love and appreciate something nicer as a gift. I'm in the UK and happy to spend up to £100. I don't really remember any other whiskys they drink, I just know they love scotch and come from a family that seems to love alcohol, trying it, spending money on it etc, so I don't think something fancy would be wasted on them.

EDIT: And if it made more sense I'd be happy to buy two bottles of different stuff to increase the chances of getting something they'd enjoy.

wutheringbites fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 23, 2012

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

wutheringbites posted:

Hey, is it okay to ask here about buying whisky as a present? I'll delete if not :) There's a wealth of knowledge here and I know nothing about whisky and don't want to give someone something that they definitely wouldn't like. Would anyone be able to advise me on a good, safe-bet bottle for someone who tends to alternate between Bell's and Grant's Scotch whisky (limits of student budget), but would love and appreciate something nicer as a gift. I'm in the UK and happy to spend up to £100. I don't really remember any other whiskys they drink, I just know they love scotch and come from a family that seems to love alcohol, trying it, spending money on it etc, so I don't think something fancy would be wasted on them.

EDIT: And if it made more sense I'd be happy to buy two bottles of different stuff to increase the chances of getting something they'd enjoy.

Get a Glenfarclas and a Lagavulin. Both very nice, completely dissimilar in taste.

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

"My third eye is squeegied quite cleanly."

wutheringbites posted:

I've only seen but a few people recommend this scotch, but allow me to recommend it again - Cragganmore. It's a nice Speyside scotch that is absolutely fantastic. To qualify what my own tastes are, I am not very partial to the peaty scotches, therefore largely stay away from Islay/Highland scotches with a few exceptions, namely Highland Park.

So my vote is Cragganmore. It is light and perfect in my opinion.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lear posted:

I've only seen but a few people recommend this scotch, but allow me to recommend it again - Cragganmore. It's a nice Speyside scotch that is absolutely fantastic. To qualify what my own tastes are, I am not very partial to the peaty scotches, therefore largely stay away from Islay/Highland scotches with a few exceptions, namely Highland Park.

So my vote is Cragganmore. It is light and perfect in my opinion.
People tend to second guess their own suggestions when it comes to all but a few Diageo malts. They're seen as a huge faceless conglomerate which is 'very bad' and not crafty. They also admit straight-up their ownership of single malt distilleries is a means to an end, and that end is maintaining the Johnnie Walker range. You almost never see Singleton (of any kind), Glenkinchie, Cardhu, Royal Lochnagar, etc. mentioned at all even though they're all perfectly drinkable.

Cragganmore is actually on the more popular side and it does get an occasional mention.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I'm beginning to think I have a problem... I'm running out of room to put my whisky! The situation's not helped by the fact that the place I see movies at also has a liquor store that will validate the $20 (!!) parking fee if I spend $25+ there... thing is I don't drink this stuff fast enough. At least the bottles are pretty...