Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just never travel to the US and you'll be ok (and hope you don't get extradited!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Bonzo posted:

What are my options, other than Bell or Rogers, in Cambridge, ON? I currently have TechSavvy DSL but it can't go any faster then 5mb because of old phones lines. I don't want to move to TS cable yet because they seem to have many, many issues and Kitchener is currently in a stop sell.

I don't play any games but I do download and stream quite a bit.

I live in the south Galt area and have had Teksavvy cable for about a year now, and it's been great the entire time. Not a single issue.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Paul Coffey posted:

Everyone I know uses that unblock us thing and they make me so jealous! I'm too scared to do it because it seems like rule breaking (not sure) or lying or something but man they see all these crazy shows and it drives a guy nuts hearing about it!
I admit you feel pretty sketchy entering in fake DNS information and then making a fake account under a fake address for everything and starting up a fake credit card for some services. But as far as grey zone actions, I think it's pretty low on the totem pole. I'm not blocking the ads on Pandora or Hulu and I'm paying the proper legal price for Netflix as well as things I've rented/bought from Amazon Digital or Vudu. When my alternatives for a lot of this content is either to willingly pay Rogers for their lovely cable service or pirating, lying about my location but still getting content through technically legal means doesn't keep me up at night.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 11, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Here's a question about unblock-US that I couldn't find an answer to on their website.

Will using their DNS make Xbox Live act strangely? Or the iPhone App store?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this works, but if these services think I'm in the USA I could see that causing problems.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I did find one funny thing about using Unblock-us. I was unable to stream any shows from the CBC website because I "wasn't in Canada".

VERTiG0 posted:

I live in the south Galt area and have had Teksavvy cable for about a year now, and it's been great the entire time. Not a single issue.

We are pretty much neighbors. I thought though that everything went through Kitchener which currently is a stop sell.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had some trouble with unblock-us where suddenly I wasn't able to access sites like Facebook or Google. After taking out their custom DNS and making it automatically come in (this is all at the router level) things would work. Anyone else experience this? I haven't turned it on for a while now because of that. I still pay since it's only $5 a month.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Vintersorg posted:

I had some trouble with unblock-us where suddenly I wasn't able to access sites like Facebook or Google. After taking out their custom DNS and making it automatically come in (this is all at the router level) things would work. Anyone else experience this? I haven't turned it on for a while now because of that. I still pay since it's only $5 a month.
I'm pretty sure you have to use specific urls off their website to access twitter, facebook, etc. so that it redirects properly. Google works just fine for me, so can't help you there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Here's a question about unblock-US that I couldn't find an answer to on their website.

Will using their DNS make Xbox Live act strangely? Or the iPhone App store?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this works, but if these services think I'm in the USA I could see that causing problems.

As far as App Store is concerned, You can already use the US app store in Canada and vice versa, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you have the right region for your Apple ID selected in iTunes or the App Store app

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I know this is a thread about internet access but if someone has a Wind phone and is having problems, give me a PM. I'm working for them now and actually work in the social media department so figuring out any issues you're having is just a part of my job.

Any questions I'd be glad to answer.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

I know this is a thread about internet access but if someone has a Wind phone and is having problems, give me a PM. I'm working for them now and actually work in the social media department so figuring out any issues you're having is just a part of my job.

Any questions I'd be glad to answer.

Wait what. Why did you leave Teksavvy exactly?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

StealthArcher posted:

Wait what. Why did you leave Teksavvy exactly?

I left right before they switched locations.

Biggest reason I left was because I grew up in Chatham and I loving hated growing up there. Being back in the city was a struggle every day because I had little to no interest in any of the women there so sex life was nil and the only friends I kept in contact with would visit maybe once a month. I was spending a lot of money going back to Windsor every weekend so eventually it was one of those, "Well gently caress it might as well move back to Windsor". I was also taking care of my mother at the time.

Now, do I have some problems with Teksavvy? Absolutely. There was a pretty big shake up at the top that they kept quiet and still keep quiet. Marc put some Ottawa people formerly from ING Direct pretty much in charge of the day to day operations and it was a disaster while I was there. They had zero positive communication with the employees on their ideas so while they did have some good strategies it sounded more like, "Hey, Teksavvy grew to an impressive size. Guess what, that still means you guys sucked at your jobs so we're here to fix everything". Again, I don't think it was malicious. I just think they were used to a manager/employee relationship more in common with a third party call centre and Teksavvy up to that point had been used to a laid back family atmosphere that Rocky brought.

I ended up leaving at a good time. I guess once they moved to the new building they realized they laid off far too many workers and now supervisors and help desk employees now had to take regular calls and it was complete chaos. They also misinformed us when it came to the pricing changes. We knew there would be pricing changes and they gave us a paper of "subject to change" pricing that was going to happen. However, we were told those would be the only changes, they just weren't finalized. I wasn't there when the change happened but when it did, there was a several new costs added that was not on the original sheet (cellpipe modem rental being a big one).

I still use Teksavvy for my mom's Internet and I still want them to succeed but it's one thing to be constantly fighting the companies who you're buying Internet from, it's another to be in structural chaos. I still talk from time to time with employees and nobody really seems happy anymore. At least I still got to experience a Teksavvy Christmas party. Open bars should be illegal...

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
So if TekSavvy's a mess right now (well done, guys, bringing in people who don't know the industry or the culture), then who do you recommend for Internet access?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nomenklatura posted:

So if TekSavvy's a mess right now (well done, guys, bringing in people who don't know the industry or the culture), then who do you recommend for Internet access?

In Canada? Nobody.

...well, that's not true. There's a company in B.C. whose name escapes me at this hour that's really fantastic to people (I know from former customers telling me when I was a CSR) and there are a few small start ups around the Kitchener/Waterloo area to look for. Otherwise, Teksavvy is still your best bet. If you're a cable subscriber and you're in a congested area, go with Cogeco and claim you're a business so you can get the business lines cap (it's what my roommate does here in Windsor). Otherwise, if you're in a low congestion area like VERTiG0 then the TekSavvy cable on Roger's lines is decent. However, Rogers hosed with Teksavvy quite badly around winter time so I could never trust them not loving the company over again.

I hear Shaw ain't bad outside of Ontario.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

In Canada? Nobody.

...well, that's not true. There's a company in B.C. whose name escapes me at this hour that's really fantastic to people (I know from former customers telling me when I was a CSR) and there are a few small start ups around the Kitchener/Waterloo area to look for. Otherwise, Teksavvy is still your best bet. If you're a cable subscriber and you're in a congested area, go with Cogeco and claim you're a business so you can get the business lines cap (it's what my roommate does here in Windsor). Otherwise, if you're in a low congestion area like VERTiG0 then the TekSavvy cable on Roger's lines is decent. However, Rogers hosed with Teksavvy quite badly around winter time so I could never trust them not loving the company over again.

True, if I decided to have 130 a month too blow, I could have unlimited 250/25.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lone Rogue posted:

In Canada? Nobody.

I've had to work with Novus in Vancouver and they're pretty good >if< you're on their fibre line into all the big complexes downtown. Outside of that infrastructure wise they're no better than anyone else.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

triplexpac posted:

Edit: I'm reading about this and now I see that a Canadian Netflix account can access the American content if you use a VPN like UnblockUS. Interesting, I'll have to try that out. I was looking into it a year ago but didn't like the idea of signing up for a US Netflix account.

I'm not sure if it's changed recently, but apparently you can't access US Netflix with a Canadian account on a Wii or 360, you'll require a US account if you use either of those devices. it'll work with anything else if I recall correctly.

Definitely worth it though because if instantwatcher.com is to be believed, there's 13,859 titles on US Netflix to Canada's 1073. Just a slight disparity there.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Stockwell posted:

I'm not sure if it's changed recently, but apparently you can't access US Netflix with a Canadian account on a Wii or 360, you'll require a US account if you use either of those devices. it'll work with anything else if I recall correctly.

Definitely worth it though because if instantwatcher.com is to be believed, there's 13,859 titles on US Netflix to Canada's 1073. Just a slight disparity there.

I have a PC hooked up to my TV, so no worries there. The Unblock-US site also works with my iPad.

And yeah, I'm loving the American content. It's a shame we can't also have this in Canada so I wouldn't have to jump through these hoops.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I usually use my boxee for Netflix on the tv, but I tried my 360 using unblock-us last week and it seemed fine.

In that I could play the US content etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Canada's netflix is -- basically -- a joke.

I unsubscribed after they pulled Mythbusters. I mean I know it's not Netflix's fault that publishers pull content, but there's basically no reason to keep it unless you plan to literally never watch anything but new movies.

That's just my two cents.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Martytoof posted:

Canada's netflix is -- basically -- a joke.

I unsubscribed after they pulled Mythbusters. I mean I know it's not Netflix's fault that publishers pull content, but there's basically no reason to keep it unless you plan to literally never watch anything but new movies.

That's just my two cents.

Lone Rogue posted:

In Canada? Nobody.
Awwww. :(

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I subscribed to Netflix once but opted out after I found out they had no CC/subtitles support. That was over a year ago. Has that changed at all recently?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

quaint bucket posted:

I subscribed to Netflix once but opted out after I found out they had no CC/subtitles support. That was over a year ago. Has that changed at all recently?

There's a button on the player that says subtitles, so I assume they have fixed that? I am not sure if all videos have CC or not though, it's not something I've tried out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It varies on a video to video basis if they have CC/subtitles. Most don't seem to have it in my experience, though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nomenklatura posted:

Awwww. :(

Internet in Canada may never get good.

The stranglehold Bell and Rogers have on telecommunications in this country is suffocating. Even if we open it up to more foreign competition, it's still going to be terrible because foreign will likely not ruffle as many feathers as it could/should. It would honestly take a company coming into Canada, setting up their own fibreline network across the entire country and then opening it up to TPIAs at a lower cost than what Bell rents their lines to TPIAs for there to be any true change and that would cost easily billions. Nobody is going to do that. Everyone knows it would just be a logistical nightmare to try to compete with Bell. Bell and Rogers don't really compete with each other. They exist with each other.

The only other alternative is if some small foreign companies come in and do offer fibre services to community areas. Like things get municipal instead of someone trying to open a big national network. I think that's how Novus does it and that's really the only real alternative. Let the dumb people use Bell and the smart people will invest into the small companies.

The bigger Teksavvy gets, the more money Rogers and Bell make off the TPIA. That's not real competition.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

priznat posted:

It varies on a video to video basis if they have CC/subtitles. Most don't seem to have it in my experience, though.

Pretty much this. I've watched videos with it, and it's pretty similar to the way they work in iTunes in terms of appearance if that means anything to you. For some reason cc and subtitles can be really expensive or complicated to get rights to, no idea why.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I just started using proxpn on a basic account (meaning it doesn't cost $9.99 per month) and so far it's a pretty great way to get around the proxy. It connects you to a network in Florida basically. Slows your Internet down a bit.

Watching "Revenge of the Electric Car" right now. Simply had to let it load for 5-10 minutes and so far the stream is going nicely.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Paul Coffey posted:

Everyone I know uses that unblock us thing and they make me so jealous! I'm too scared to do it because it seems like rule breaking (not sure) or lying or something but man they see all these crazy shows and it drives a guy nuts hearing about it!

Its really not that big of a deal. If netflix has a serious problem with unblock us they'll fix it (somehow).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Lone Rogue posted:

The bigger Teksavvy gets, the more money Rogers and Bell make off the TPIA. That's not real competition.

I agree with pretty much all of this, but wanted to clarify this part specifically: the idea was that if a competitor could get big enough through TPIA, they could start building their own facilities.

Of course, the way the CRTC has implemented the plan this will never happen, and I wrote an entirely-too-long law school paper about why, but mandating access to infrastructure is, in theory, a perfectly valid way to create competition in fields that have these insane entry barriers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dallan Invictus posted:

I agree with pretty much all of this, but wanted to clarify this part specifically: the idea was that if a competitor could get big enough through TPIA, they could start building their own facilities.

Of course, the way the CRTC has implemented the plan this will never happen, and I wrote an entirely-too-long law school paper about why, but mandating access to infrastructure is, in theory, a perfectly valid way to create competition in fields that have these insane entry barriers.

It's of my belief that until someone comes into the Canadian government with zero connection to Bell or Rogers, you will never see telecommunication competition.

Teksavvy is probably the biggest TPIA for the Internet in Canada and while we could purchase a new building, we weren't doing great business. We made pennies off every Internet account and in concern with cable Internet, we lost money on every new connection and then made a small profit on the monthly bills. It was a fact when I was there that Teksavvy made a better profit on modems than they did on Internet service. Of course, that fact befuddled me why they never sold routers when so often we had to tell customers that our service wasn't "wireless" and they had to purchase a wireless router.

The problem with the idea of a TPIA getting big enough to provide their own network is that Teksavvy would still have to spend money on setting up the infrastructure in some of the most difficult places. I think the only way Wind gets away with it is because they can just build an antenna. What would Teksavvy do? Put down their own wiring in Toronto?

I can tell you that the reason why it's only feasible on paper is due to what happened between Rogers and Teksavvy in December. Teksavvy paid for IP blocks from Rogers and Rogers just so happened to screw it up for over a month in giving the wrong areas said IP blocks. We had to put a ton of money out of pocket to set people up temporarily with free fibre 12mbps until their cable Internet worked again. It was an absolute disaster and we couldn't do anything about it. Rogers just "accidentally hosed up" and cost us likely a thousand customers we were never getting back.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, there were plenty more examples like that in my research so I am unfortunately not surprised that Rogers pulled that poo poo on you guys.

Until we get a regulator with teeth to restrain the ILECs' abuses (which also means "until we get a government that doesn't tie their hands in advance and then leave them to take the blame"), reasonable schemes will continue to produce perverse outcomes. :smith:

How the hell did Britain manage it?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

How the hell did Britain manage it?

From what I've heard (and whoever knows better, from better and more reliable sources please correct me), they basically said that you cannot sell internet for both retail and resale. Split their big company in two, one handling retail (just like before) and the other only working with other ISPs (the old one being just one of their clients).

With this one move, they basically leveled the field. Now they have competition, retail competition that is. Which, for me, is all that matters.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

My bad on the phrasing: I meant more "how did they get THEIR vested interests to go along with it?". I suppose it was easier because they were basically doing it as part of the privatization/breakup of BT rather than after the fact, but that's still a lot of politically powerful people to annoy, and I despair of anyone managing that here even if it's the least that is needed.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dallan Invictus posted:

My bad on the phrasing: I meant more "how did they get THEIR vested interests to go along with it?". I suppose it was easier because they were basically doing it as part of the privatization/breakup of BT rather than after the fact, but that's still a lot of politically powerful people to annoy, and I despair of anyone managing that here even if it's the least that is needed.

I think Britain's advantage is that it's incredibly tiny in comparison to Canada, and everything that implies about infrastructure cost, coverage distance, maintenance costs, installer fleets, etc. I'm more of the opinion that the government should have stayed involved i.e. EdTel, AGT, BcTel, and so on since they had already sunk so much money into infrastructure in the first place.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

I can tell you that the reason why it's only feasible on paper is due to what happened between Rogers and Teksavvy in December. Teksavvy paid for IP blocks from Rogers and Rogers just so happened to screw it up for over a month in giving the wrong areas said IP blocks. We had to put a ton of money out of pocket to set people up temporarily with free fibre 12mbps until their cable Internet worked again. It was an absolute disaster and we couldn't do anything about it. Rogers just "accidentally hosed up" and cost us likely a thousand customers we were never getting back.
Why wasn't a bigger fuss made of this? Seems like the only places where I've heard about this was here and DSL Reports, when it's a story that tech bloggers (at the very least) would have eaten up.

Masako
Mar 1, 2003

Just moved from Vancouver to Montreal and signed up with Teksavvy Ultimate Cable 30. It's April 22nd, and they may not be able to get me up and running until May 9th? They said Videotron has a huge backlog. This seems insane to me. I work from home and now have to pick up a usb internet stick in the mean time I guess. I'm trying to support the little guy, but sometimes it's tough.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nomenklatura posted:

Why wasn't a bigger fuss made of this? Seems like the only places where I've heard about this was here and DSL Reports, when it's a story that tech bloggers (at the very least) would have eaten up.

I had a feeling Teksavvy was keeping it quiet. I don't really know why.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Masako posted:

Just moved from Vancouver to Montreal and signed up with Teksavvy Ultimate Cable 30. It's April 22nd, and they may not be able to get me up and running until May 9th? They said Videotron has a huge backlog. This seems insane to me. I work from home and now have to pick up a usb internet stick in the mean time I guess. I'm trying to support the little guy, but sometimes it's tough.

Not 100% sure on this, it's just a theory, but before February, all Teksavvy sign-ups on VideoTron's network had the same lovely restrictions as VideoTron themselves (i.e. sub-100 gigs/month limits for most packages with overages at $4.75 PER GIG), whereas now they have the same 300 gig with 2-8AM amnesty as the Bell lines. I suspect a lot of people trying to avoid DSL are flocking to it and there's a backlog now because of that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

univbee posted:

Not 100% sure on this, it's just a theory, but before February, all Teksavvy sign-ups on VideoTron's network had the same lovely restrictions as VideoTron themselves (i.e. sub-100 gigs/month limits for most packages with overages at $4.75 PER GIG), whereas now they have the same 300 gig with 2-8AM amnesty as the Bell lines. I suspect a lot of people trying to avoid DSL are flocking to it and there's a backlog now because of that.

Videotron is probably a very small company (in workforce) because even when we only had the limited packages through them, there was always a backlog and one to two week wait for installation. They must have like 20 guys for all of Montreal.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Masako posted:

Unless I miss my guess as well, it's not Teksavvy causing the delay at all; it's Videotron who has to send out the guys to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Unfortunately, at this time, I would have to discourage people from switching from their current ISP to Acanac; it has been 15 days past our activation date and we still cannot obtain service from their servers; strangely enough, they insisted a Rogers technician show up at our home to install the service - even though we are currently obtaining our service from Rogers.

Acanac does seem to be the cheapest ISP out there, but the delay in switch-over looks like wečll have to add an extra month to our current ISP bill; and given that the home phone service takes an additional 2 weeks it probably would have cost less if we went with a slightly more expensive independant ISP that had better customer support.

Here is hoping I get proved wrong before the end of the month rolls along!