Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Ys owns period.

Any news on if America was going to get the anniversary Dragon Quest collection on the Wii? I never got the play 2 and 3 as a kid and I've really enjoyed the DS remakes. They're the only ones I'm missing to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Azubah posted:

Ys owns period.

Any news on if America was going to get the anniversary Dragon Quest collection on the Wii? I never got the play 2 and 3 as a kid and I've really enjoyed the DS remakes. They're the only ones I'm missing to.

I wouldn't count on it. There's been no word, anyway. The GBC versions of 1-3 are still the best and most recently released official English ones.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Azubah posted:

Ys owns period.

I wish they would, but there's no signs...you could always try the snes fan translated DQ3.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'd suggest the snes versions of DQ 2 and 3. If you're willing to go the official route, the GBC versions are based on the snes remakes. While they don't look as good, the presentation is still top notch (among the bed on the system next to notables like Shantae). Hopefully, if S-E or Nintendo had sense they put them on the 3ds e-shop and land the coup by grace by making available every DQ except 7 and 8 on one system.

If they were smart too, they'd also try to work on fixing just that by making 7 and 8 available on 3ds.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Finally finished all the DS ones with V and IX being the standouts of the lot. I had to grind a bit in VI since the end boss was pretty bullshit until i pulled some bullshit of my own out of spite and murdered the gently caress out of him. I'm almost done with VIII and made Jessica into a killing machine with Gringham which is all sorts of ridiculous in this game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Trailer for Terry's Wonderland

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Now that looks like Dragon Quest charm (tm). :allears:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

This may have sold me on a 3DS, since I never actually got a chance to play the original...

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You know that limited-edition DQ 3DS that came up a while back? You can pre-order it now for the low cost of four and a half hundred

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I'm looking to get into the DQ series. I've never played a DQ game before in my life, but I have played (and mostly enjoyed) Final Fantasies I through X and the Chrono series. Where should I start?

Right now I'm thinking the DQIV remake for DS. I was going to go with DQIX, but apparently it's long and quite hard, so maybe not the best intro to the series. I've heard that DQVIII is a good starting point; I'm not opposed to that if that really is the best place to start, but logistics make the DS a little more attractive to me as a platform, at least for the near future. I wouldn't say no to DQVII, I guess, but I've heard it's long as poo poo. Thoughts?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Portfolio posted:

I'm looking to get into the DQ series. I've never played a DQ game before in my life, but I have played (and mostly enjoyed) Final Fantasies I through X and the Chrono series. Where should I start?

Right now I'm thinking the DQIV remake for DS. I was going to go with DQIX, but apparently it's long and quite hard, so maybe not the best intro to the series. I've heard that DQVIII is a good starting point; I'm not opposed to that if that really is the best place to start, but logistics make the DS a little more attractive to me as a platform, at least for the near future. I wouldn't say no to DQVII, I guess, but I've heard it's long as poo poo. Thoughts?

I'd say start with 8. But if you want to go with the DS route, start with 4 and work your way through 4/5/6 on the DS.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Portfolio posted:

DQ 5 is the game that will make you fall in love the quickest I think. It's the one with the most endearing storyline.

DQ 8 is the most visually and musically appealing. If you want a game to blow you away with atmosphere and charm, that's a good place to start. However, some people complain that it's slow. The story is a bit cliche and cartoony and has one of the weaker plots of the series IMO. Both DQ7 and DQ8 are incredibly long.

I love DQ 4. The only thing I would say against it is that it's a NES game or a port of one so it may not be the most accessible. I remember having to grind a good amount while I didn't have to for 5 and 8. But I've never played the DS version.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 12, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Portfolio posted:

You really can't go wrong with any of them, but if you start with IX and go back to the earlier ones, you might be mildly disappointed by the absence of some gameplay mechanics that weren't added to the series until later. IX's post-game content doesn't really have a definite ending point, unlike all the others, which is why it's regarded as being very long. It starts off just like any other game in the series, which is to say a finite single-player quest, but develops a focus on Monster Hunter-esque repeating local multiplayer, so if that's a turn-off for you, you might want to consider starting elsewhere.

There's no standard entry point to the series, because the connections between the games are cameos at best. You've probably already been briefed: Avoid II altogether, be wary of VII, consider I a historical curiosity.

VIII is an excellent game, but the fact that it uses full 3D animations in battle (unlike IV-VI) means that it proceeds at a noticeably slower pace than the others, which will intensify your preference for playing on a portable format.

IV and V were published by Square-Enix, whereas VI was published by Nintendo in North America, so I've heard that it's difficult to find copies of IV and V. They might have issued a reprint at some point, though. Those three form a very, very loosely-connected sort of trilogy, so some will recommend playing them in order. They've all got different things to recommend them: IV has you following each of the party members in their own separate story before they all get together and save the world in the second half of the game; V has you adding monsters to your party and a very touching story spanning three generations; VI has a large and dense world, a lot of gameplay variance, and a rather unique driving mystery.

If you have a way to play III conveniently, I would recommend starting with that one, because it's where the series' formula was first perfected. But understand that your decision about where to start doesn't matter nearly as much as that you decide to start at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DQIV DS was my first ever DQ experience and I loved it a lot. It's a great place to start even if it's not the best of the best by some standards.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I started on IX and i wanted things from older games to be in it now in retrospect so you can't go wrong on which game you start with.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Portfolio posted:

I'd start with 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 7. The remake of 1 is a quickie and worth it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

DQ 5 is the game that will make you fall in love the quickest I think. It's the one with the most endearing storyline.

Dq5 is pretty much the ONLY one with an endearing storyline, really.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah. Dragon Quest is more about the interesting vignettes along the way than the overarching plot, with the exception of V.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Why the hate for II all of a sudden?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LooseChanj posted:

Why the hate for II all of a sudden?

II lacks the balance and convenience of later games. The EXP curve is Himalayan, your casters don't have good enough spells to make up for their squishiness, endgame enemies love to spam instant-death abilities, and it has a full-size world map that you can only traverse by boat.

I don't know if that's enough to call it bad, but it's definitely enough to call it the worst.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Holy poo poo. That looks the most polished a dragon quest game has ever been in terms of presentation. I hope they find a way around regional protection, or release it here shortly.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

II has been in the end of the list from most people if I remember correctly. It's not on mine, but I remember playing through II and people talking about the constant instant death endgame monsters have a very valid point.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dragon Quest II also has one of the most infuriating dungeons I've encountered in a JRPG, known as the "Cave to Rhone". That dungeon near the end of the game really soured my experience with the game.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
The other games just do stuff a lot better than DQ2. It's not necessarily that DQ2 is a horrible game, but it has some really horrible mechanics in it. You can tell they pretty much agreed by the stuff from DQ2 that didn't make it into the other games.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mister Roboto posted:

Plotline, you mean. DQ contains many endearing stories, but usually very weak plots. There is a difference in the distinction.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah. Dragon Quest is more about the interesting vignettes along the way than the overarching plot, with the exception of V.

This. And even V has plenty of vignettes, though not nearly as blatant as VI.

Dragon Quest is about the journey. Thus the word Quest.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't know what games people are playing because I sometimes find the vignettes in DQ very involving. Like the story in VII where you walk into a derelict ghost town covered fog, poison, and the smell of death. You walk to the center of the town and uncover someone turned to stone. Maybe an innocent, maybe they deserved it? You don't know. But you do your best to find out. I find these stories highly involving, even when the characters don't talk, they don't really need to. Sure it's about the journey and the adventure, but it's also about the mystery, the danger, the atmosphere, and even sometimes even humor, romance, and drama.

I think Dragon Quest does these little stories pretty expertly. VII as mentioned, has million of beautiful ones. It's a shame its so long that many people didn't get to experience them.

Maybe I'm just a simple person, but it really clicks with me like it did with Chrono Trigger: landing in mysterious lands with interesting - albeit, admittedly, very simple - characters and scenarios. It just works for me.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 14, 2012

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mister Roboto posted:

Linda and Pepe

http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Linda
http://lparchive.org/Dragon-Warrior-VII/Update%2030/

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Himuro posted:

I don't know what games people are playing because I sometimes find the vignettes in DQ very involving. Like the story in VII where you walk into a derelict ghost town covered fog, poison, and the smell of death. You walk to the center of the town and uncover someone turned to stone. Maybe an innocent, maybe they deserved it? You don't know. But you do your best to find out. I find these stories highly involving, even when the characters don't talk, they don't really need to. Sure it's about the journey and the adventure, but it's also about the mystery, the danger, the atmosphere, and even sometimes even humor, romance, and drama.

I think Dragon Quest does these little stories pretty expertly. VII as mentioned, has million of beautiful ones. It's a shame its so long that many people didn't get to experience them.

Maybe I'm just a simple person, but it really clicks with me like it did with Chrono Trigger: landing in mysterious lands with interesting - albeit, admittedly, very simple - characters and scenarios. It just works for me.

I'm pretty sure everybody likes the vignettes?

It's funny that you note Chrono Trigger, because, as the big collaboration between the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest teams, the overall story outline was also written by Yuji Horii.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I deliberately brought up Trigger for that exact reason. I feel like DQ7 is everything Horii wanted to expand upon in Trigger. I brought up CT because a lot of people worship CT but for some reason raise their noses up at DQ. Makes no sense to me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd play 7 but I really don't want to sit though the length of a tales game to get to the actual meat of the exercise.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'd play 7 but I really don't want to sit though the length of a tales game to get to the actual meat of the exercise.
Yeah, that's why I afraid of trying VII again. I did play it before, but I ended up losing interest. I can't remember where I left off. I still need to finish VIII, V and IX anyway, so I have enough DQ for now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DQ7 just drags on too long before anything cool happens, finding all of the shards got annoying pretty quickly and unlocking the classes probably means it is the grindiest DQ game. I honestly never had the patience for it and it's the only DQ game I've never beaten. DQ7 may well have really interesting vignettes but bad game design and pacing issues just kill any drive I have to get to those points. I had a similar problem with DQ6 but at least I managed to force myself through that one.

Honestly, DQ8 being much more simple in comparison was probably the best thing for the series, in my opinion.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I would kill for 3d remakes of 1-3.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

DQ7 just drags on too long before anything cool happens, finding all of the shards got annoying pretty quickly and unlocking the classes probably means it is the grindiest DQ game. I honestly never had the patience for it and it's the only DQ game I've never beaten. DQ7 may well have really interesting vignettes but bad game design and pacing issues just kill any drive I have to get to those points. I had a similar problem with DQ6 but at least I managed to force myself through that one.

Honestly, DQ8 being much more simple in comparison was probably the best thing for the series, in my opinion.

7 is my least favorite in the series for the reasons you said. It's the only one I have not beaten aside from VI, which I haven't played yet (broke my ds around the time it came out for it.) But I've beaten every DQ I've played except VII.

I really like some of the vignettes, and the game difficulty balance, but really, it truly is a ridiculous game. I'm not sure I'd want to replay it ever unless they found some way to trim the game, like, in half.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 15, 2012

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Himuro posted:

I deliberately brought up Trigger for that exact reason. I feel like DQ7 is everything Horii wanted to expand upon in Trigger. I brought up CT because a lot of people worship CT but for some reason raise their noses up at DQ. Makes no sense to me.

They've been led to believe that the CT team was either internal at Squaresoft or somehow spun off into their own little world. While partially true (the bulk of the CT team went on to make Xenogears, albeit with, you know, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WRITERS AND DIRECTORS), the fact that Trigger in concept and broad strokes is basically a Dragon Quest game is utterly lost.

There's a reason Chrono Cross was so different.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

"Cave to Rhone"

Oh gently caress me for asking to be reminded of that. All things considered though, II's always gonna have a soft spot in my heart for being the first DQ I ever had to wait to come out.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Terpfen posted:

There's a reason Chrono Cross was so different.

I have to agree, as a friend insisted I play Dragon Quest due to my enjoyment of Chrono Trigger. It has to be said that Yuji Horii is the reason Chrono Trigger is such an amazing game and it kind of irks me now that Masato Kato gets most of the lion's share of credit for CT in regards to some fans' perception of why Chrono Trigger was such a good game.

My first Dragon Quest game was 8 while I was deployed. Amazingly, I had nothing better to do in my off time, but I went from being enamored with the world to frustrated with the pace of the game. I feel like the scale really hurt that game.

I enjoyed Dragon Quest IV on the DS quite a bit more. I'd really like another version 3, though. My experience with the DS titles has been nothing but positive, and it definitely made me realize that I didn't give enough credit to what these type of games are capable of presenting.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Corrosion posted:

I enjoyed Dragon Quest IV on the DS quite a bit more. I'd really like another version 3, though. My experience with the DS titles has been nothing but positive, and it definitely made me realize that I didn't give enough credit to what these type of games are capable of presenting.

There's the SNES 3, which is close to the DS's 4.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Corrosion posted:

I have to agree, as a friend insisted I play Dragon Quest due to my enjoyment of Chrono Trigger. It has to be said that Yuji Horii is the reason Chrono Trigger is such an amazing game and it kind of irks me now that Masato Kato gets most of the lion's share of credit for CT in regards to some fans' perception of why Chrono Trigger was such a good game.

My first Dragon Quest game was 8 while I was deployed. Amazingly, I had nothing better to do in my off time, but I went from being enamored with the world to frustrated with the pace of the game. I feel like the scale really hurt that game.

Like Roboto said, play 3 for Super Famicom. It has been translated into English via patch, but years ago when I played it wasn't complete. Maybe it's done by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's fully done by these guys:

http://www.dqtranslations.com/

You can play it on a PSP, too, for portable old school dungeon crawling.