Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Alterian posted:

Tomorrow is my first visit at my ob/gyn. I'm really nervous :ohdear:
I should be about 8 1/2 weeks along. I haven't had very severe symptoms so part of me feels like since I'm not suffering, maybe I'm not really pregnant/something's wrong.

Everyone goes through the "I don't feel pregnant OMG what's wrong" stage. Enjoy it while it lasts, because when you start actually feeling it...well, you'll see!

Seriously though, don't sweat it, half of the stress of pregnancy is worrying over "what ifs" and there's nothing abnormal about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I inexplicably passed my 3-hour glucose test, though I passed by somewhat narrow margins (except for fasting sugar, which was completely normal). I really don't know what the gently caress to think now though, because testing 1 hour after meals consistently gives me readings in the 130s and 140s with moderate amounts of carbs. No carb meals produce perfectly normal results.

I see my doctor in a week, so I'm going to talk to him about it, but I already know that he thinks I'm perfectly fine and should just ignore the results of my home testing.

Stairs posted:

Yeah I tend to sleep on my right now, because then I'm faced away from the bed. If I face inward my husband instinctively snuggles directly into my face and breathes in my face and it's weird.

I have this same problem. I feel like a spoiled little kid complaining about it though, like "MOOOOMMM, he's breathing on me!"

Though since the relaxin started softening up my hip joints recently, I'm now getting a ton of hip pain, so I flip from side to side every two hours or so. A pillow between the knees helps, but it also causes me to keep my knees bent, and that sets of Charley Horse cramps in my legs. And then of course the pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel also flares up while I'm sleeping and makes my whole arm hurt.

Basically, sleep and I have recently become enemies. I'm seriously considering sleeping sitting up in the recliner in the living room.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Mnemosyne posted:

Basically, sleep and I have recently become enemies. I'm seriously considering sleeping sitting up in the recliner in the living room.

I spent the last few months of my pregnancy sleeping propped up in the corner of my couch. With my acid reflux, wonky hips and general unhappiness with sleeping on my back, the couch made the most sense. A recliner or similar chair would have the same effect. It sucked not sleeping with my husband, but it was also easier to get up off the couch several times a night to pee and I didn't wake him up when I did it.

I also have a weird thing about my husband (or kid) breathing on my face when they sleep. Hot breath from another human being in my mouth, unless it's a sexy moment ;-*, is not my bag.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

VorpalBunny posted:

I also have a weird thing about my husband (or kid) breathing on my face when they sleep. Hot breath from another human being in my mouth, unless it's a sexy moment ;-*, is not my bag.
I hate face breath.
Then again right now, I hate a lot of things :/

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Cathis posted:

Then again right now, I hate a lot of things :/

I can definitely relate to this. I may have told my husband "gently caress this gay earth" a few times last week.

Bambina
Sep 25, 2007
I said no biting
I'm normally very laid back and drama free, and have so far having a pretty great pregnancy (I'm 19 weeks).

However, last night I was wailing that if I didn't get sour gummy worms RIGHT THIS MINUTE I would lie down in the street and run myself over with a truck.

My partner was in hysterics but before I could attack he informed me that he had hidden treats all over the house for such an event. :3:

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Well my enormous 12ft long pregnancy pillow moved in around 24 weeks, and my husband moved out into the spare room haha. Now I don't have to put up with his breathing, or his snoring, and I can take as much room as I need to get comfortable (or, as comfortable as possible at this stage...). Only 6 weeks to go and I'm yo-yoing between wanting it to be over already and being sad that I won't feel the baby kicking away inside me soon.

The sleeping arrangement works nicely for him as well I guess, since I'm not waking him up all the time with my complaining or getting up and down to go to the toilet. We'll probably continue this arrangement at least in the early weeks with baby simply so that he can get a decent nights sleep most of the time; unlike me, he will still be going to work each day!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hooray. My appointment went well. I guess I'm 8 weeks 2 days with a due date of 11/20.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
If a woman hasn't had sex in a long while and then becomes sexually active again, could this cause cramping and possibly an earlier than normal period? I'm 14 days from my period (52 day cycle) and I'm getting some cramping, painful breasts and I've been moody as if I have PMS. I really hope I'm not pregnant as I just started seeing this guy about 2 months ago and only became sexually active with him about 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping my period is just going to arrive early.

Bloody Cat Farm fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 14, 2012

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Bloody Cum Fart posted:

If a woman hasn't had sex in a long while and then becomes sexually active again, could this cause cramping and possibly an earlier than normal period? I'm 14 days from my period (52 day cycle) and I'm getting some cramping, painful breasts and I've been moody as if I have PMS. I really hope I'm not pregnant as I just started seeing this guy about 2 months ago and only became sexually active with him about 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping my period is just going to arrive early.

Weirdly, sex has kind of 'triggered' my period before. I'm really irregular, so not sure if it was early or not, but I guessed it was either the motions or something in semen that set me off.

Unfortunately, I can't offer you much reassurance as my early pregnancy symptoms felt a lot like PMS. If you don't get your period soon, then some pregnancy tests can be used in the week before your period is due, though they may show a false negative if you take it too early. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Thank you. I'm really hoping its triggered my hormones to act up and that's it. I love children and want them very much, but not with someone I barely know.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

I am having an allergy attack of some kind, probably due to the winds picking up god only knows what pollens. I don't know if I am allowed to take anything but I'm miserable as anything. I have a paper from my doctor that says Benadryl is OK, but that's it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Cathis posted:

I am having an allergy attack of some kind, probably due to the winds picking up god only knows what pollens. I don't know if I am allowed to take anything but I'm miserable as anything. I have a paper from my doctor that says Benadryl is OK, but that's it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

what type of attack? what are the symptoms? I'm reading that Zyrtec and Singulair have both been used but honestly I'd call your OB's after hours number or just take the benedryl until they open on Monday.

When in doubt, call your OB.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 14, 2012

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

buttzilla posted:

what type of attack? what are the symptoms? I'm reading that Zyrtec and Singulair have both been used but honestly I'd call your OB's after hours number or just take the benedryl until they open on Monday.

When in doubt, call your OB.

Called the after hours number but I don't know if they'll get back to me before my face explodes. I'm at the breathing through my mouth part already, and sneezing hurts the belly.
Symptoms: Runny nose, itchy watery eyes, sneezing like mad. Normally I'd pop a claritin (not D) and be better in about a half hour but obviously that's right out.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I take a Zyrtec every day for a skin issue and those are fine.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Alterian posted:

I take a Zyrtec every day for a skin issue and those are fine.

Good, we have both zyrtec and generic loratadine in the house (i use the loratadine sometimes and the husband lives on zyrtec)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Cathis posted:

Normally I'd pop a claritin (not D) and be better in about a half hour but obviously that's right out.

I've been on Claritin continuously for like 9 years now and my OB told me it was fine to keep taking it. To be honest, I stopped taking it anyway, but one of the few benefits of pregnancy for me has been that my allergies are temporarily almost non-existent.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Bloody Cum Fart posted:

It isn't very likely that you're pregnant, especially if you've just had sex two weeks ago. While this could have fallen at the time you were ovulating (a 52 day cycle so far is extremely hard to figure the ovulation time just off hand if you haven't been tracking your fertility signals every single day), it is unlikely. Also, while it's possible you could be pregnant and starting to show symptoms, it's unlikely, as most women don't even register as pregnant on a hormone test before 4 weeks, so you'd probably not be having such major symptoms so early in the pregnancy.

It sounds like PMS, that's all. Especially the cramping part. Cramping is not a sign of general sign of pregnancy, unless you're about to have a miscarriage. Breasts do often get tender during PMS, so that's not a sign of pregnancy either.

I'd say the likelyhood of you being pregnant is slim. Can't discount it completely, because things like that happen, but I honestly don't think you have too much to worry about.

If you don't want to get pregnant, you need to check out this thread about birth control as soon as possible: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382303

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Thank you so much! You've really put my mind at ease. I have a prescription for birth control, but I didn't get it filled because I wasn't sexually active. Now that I am, once I get my period (hopefully) I'll be starting back up on the pill. I'm going to test in a week. If the cramps are implantation associated, then from what I'm reading in a week I should be able to test.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Cathis posted:

Called the after hours number but I don't know if they'll get back to me before my face explodes. I'm at the breathing through my mouth part already, and sneezing hurts the belly.
Symptoms: Runny nose, itchy watery eyes, sneezing like mad. Normally I'd pop a claritin (not D) and be better in about a half hour but obviously that's right out.

I was told Claritin was fine as well. When in doubt ask your OB but it really should be fine.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bloody Cum Fart posted:

Thank you so much! You've really put my mind at ease. I have a prescription for birth control, but I didn't get it filled because I wasn't sexually active. Now that I am, once I get my period (hopefully) I'll be starting back up on the pill. I'm going to test in a week. If the cramps are implantation associated, then from what I'm reading in a week I should be able to test.

I had some cramps at 4 weeks, right before I found out I was pregnant. They weren't very strong and they felt completely different than my normal PMS/menstrual cramps.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Alterian posted:

I had some cramps at 4 weeks, right before I found out I was pregnant. They weren't very strong and they felt completely different than my normal PMS/menstrual cramps.

I've always described those feelings as "almost cramps." It's like the feeling leading up to what would be normal cramps but it never gets quite to that point.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

FretforyourLatte posted:

I was told Claritin was fine as well. When in doubt ask your OB but it really should be fine.

This is one of the problems with asking for advice about medication safety during pregnancy here. Every doctor has a different opinion about what's safe and what's not, and different doctors will give different answers.

Hell, I can't even get the doctors who all practice together at my OBs practice to agree on stuff. I try to only see my OB (who is my regular GYN), but sometimes scheduling things happen and I end up having to see one of the other doctors. I told the one doctor that I was having really painful Charley Horses every night while I was sleeping and asked him if it was safe to take Potassium and Magnesium supplements. He told me that they wouldn't work and that I should instead drink Tonic water each night before bed because the quinine in it cures that. I really didn't want to do that, so I asked again if the supplements were safe because I wanted to try them. He still wouldn't tell me if they were safe or not, just that I shouldn't take them because they wouldn't work.

I didn't drink the Tonic water for a lot of reasons, one being that the FDA expressly says that pregnant women shouldn't consume quinine for leg cramps. Next appointment with a different doctor (in the same practice of course), I asked again about the safety of the supplements and mentioned that the other doctor had told me to drink Tonic water, and the first thing out of her mouth was "If you do drink the Tonic water, make sure it doesn't actually have quinine in it, because we don't want you drinking that while you're pregnant." I seriously hate this multiple doctors in one practice crap.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Well I woke up with much worse cramps that are like menstrual cramps. Since they aren't light like they were before, I think it's likely not pregnancy. Phew!

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Mnemosyne, I was having terrible charley horses, too--started drinking a glass of orange juice or a banana every day, and they are gone. Maybe try just eating or drinking something with potassium?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Mnemosyne, I was having terrible charley horses, too--started drinking a glass of orange juice or a banana every day, and they are gone. Maybe try just eating or drinking something with potassium?

They can be caused by lack of either potassium OR magnesium (as well as other things like dehydration or just plain pregnancy hormones), so rather than trying to make sure I was eating foods containing both every day, I figured a supplement would be easier. Also, I hate bananas a lot. The second doctor told me the supplements should be fine, so I'm taking them now. It hasn't stopped them entirely, but they're less frequent, and I'll take what I can get at this point. I feel really guilty every time I end up waking my husband up because I'm yelling and flailing around from the Charley Horse.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sweet potatoes actually have more potassium than a banana! They also have some magnesium as well.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

They can be caused by lack of either potassium OR magnesium (as well as other things like dehydration or just plain pregnancy hormones), so rather than trying to make sure I was eating foods containing both every day, I figured a supplement would be easier. Also, I hate bananas a lot. The second doctor told me the supplements should be fine, so I'm taking them now. It hasn't stopped them entirely, but they're less frequent, and I'll take what I can get at this point. I feel really guilty every time I end up waking my husband up because I'm yelling and flailing around from the Charley Horse.

Real food is far better than a supplement. Eat some bloody bananas. End of story. I bet you would be amazed at how effective it is. Or if you don't like bananas, here is a list for you: http://www.algaecal.com/potassium-rich-foods.html

Ps. It's often linked to gestational diabetes. Since you have recently had some questionable results it might be time to take a look at your diet. Changing your diet = better health = no need for supplements.

So yeah, eat fruit and veg people!.

I love sweetpotato <3

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I hate sweet potatoes, but bananas are delicious. Glad I haven't had issues with leg cramps during this pregnancy. I'm also glad my 1 prenatal a day seems to do the job in keeping me mostly healthy during pregnancy. Oh and I guess the fish oil caplet. My gag reflex is ridiculous this time around so I don't think I could handle anything else. :cry:

Also I'd be really wary of taking a bunch of supplements during pregnancy. But that's just me.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 16, 2012

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Crossposting from parenting thread, thought someone here might have an answer:

Breastfeeding moms, do any of you know if it's normal to have big weight fluctuations? I'm a little over 13 weeks postpartum and having fluctuations of up to 10 pounds every few days. I've always yo-yoed but never quite this much...Googling seems to only turn up "Whee, breastfeeding makes you lose weight!"

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Chicken McNobody posted:

Crossposting from parenting thread, thought someone here might have an answer:

Breastfeeding moms, do any of you know if it's normal to have big weight fluctuations? I'm a little over 13 weeks postpartum and having fluctuations of up to 10 pounds every few days. I've always yo-yoed but never quite this much...Googling seems to only turn up "Whee, breastfeeding makes you lose weight!"

I think a lot has to do with your size. If you're already really overweight your weight's going to fluctuate a lot more than it would if you were smaller. Another thing would be the time of day you're weighing yourself. Could also be the clothes you're wearing or your scale.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I have a question for those of you who already have kids. This is purely for amusement and I know this isn't scientific at all.

Did the amount of movement in the womb correlate to how active the baby/kid was growing up? My mom told me my hyper brother was hyper in the womb as well.

I'm sure it's probably random but it would be fun to hear what people have experienced.

At 21 weeks now this baby will not stop kicking me all day. It was getting annoying but when he took a day off I totally missed it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My first was pretty chill in the womb and was a chill baby but is a terror as a toddler.

This one is super active in the womb.

I notice with both that they become a lot more active after I eat certain things. Something like juice with a lot of sugar? Hell yea, party time. My daughter would move a lot more with a big meal than he moves after one. I also noticed movements a lot earlier (11 weeks), but that's probably because I was more familiar with the movements and what to expect than I was the first time around. Could be the same kinda thing with his movements now. Maybe with her I just didn't notice it as much cause I wasn't really sure what to expect.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 16, 2012

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My Liam was chill as hell in the womb. He pretty much hasn't stopped moving since birth. He is a seriously high-energy kid (and a climber, ffffuuuuuuck).

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Awesome Kristin posted:

I have a question for those of you who already have kids. This is purely for amusement and I know this isn't scientific at all.

Did the amount of movement in the womb correlate to how active the baby/kid was growing up? My mom told me my hyper brother was hyper in the womb as well.

I'm sure it's probably random but it would be fun to hear what people have experienced.

At 21 weeks now this baby will not stop kicking me all day. It was getting annoying but when he took a day off I totally missed it.

I don't have any kids other than the one currently under construction, but I've asked doctors about it, and they say it generally correlates. Not always, but more often than not. I've only asked because ultrasound techs and doctors have brought up how "unusually active" this baby is basically every time I'm in. I've heard the term "a mover and a shaker" more times than I care to count.

I'm assuming that in my case it's predictive because all the boys in my family were like no other kids I've ever seen. I'm trying to prepare my husband.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

I feel like roadkill today. I don't even know what the gently caress. I was hugely tired when I woke up this morning, and have felt like poo poo all day. Holy crap. I feel like I've been up for 2 days straight. This is stupid. I am so tired I can't even function.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't have any kids other than the one currently under construction, but I've asked doctors about it, and they say it generally correlates. Not always, but more often than not.

Well I'm glad your doctors finally agreed about something. ;)

Cathis posted:

I feel like roadkill today. I don't even know what the gently caress. I was hugely tired when I woke up this morning, and have felt like poo poo all day. Holy crap. I feel like I've been up for 2 days straight. This is stupid. I am so tired I can't even function.

Yup, sounds about right.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 17, 2012

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

buttzilla posted:

Yup, sounds about right.

I miss caffeine.
This is the part that's supposed to go away (largely) in the 2nd trimester, right?
I mean, other than the not-sleeping parts of the 3rd trimester and the rest of my life.

Also, on a wholly unrelated (and very in-advance) note: My boss was totally vehement about one brand of diapers being way better than the other brand (huggies vs pampers and damned if I can remember which). Is there really that much of a difference, or is it a pepsi/coke thing?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Cathis posted:

I miss caffeine.
This is the part that's supposed to go away (largely) in the 2nd trimester, right?
I mean, other than the not-sleeping parts of the 3rd trimester and the rest of my life.

Also, on a wholly unrelated (and very in-advance) note: My boss was totally vehement about one brand of diapers being way better than the other brand (huggies vs pampers and damned if I can remember which). Is there really that much of a difference, or is it a pepsi/coke thing?

I can't have caffeine in the first place so I have no idea when it's ok to consume it again. I know of a couple of women who never really quit their intake.

Re: the diaper thing it'll vary by kid. Some kids take better to a particular brand because of the fit. If your kid has sensitive skin that'll be another factor as some kids react differently to different brands, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Cathis posted:

I miss caffeine.

It's more that every baby is shaped differently and what works on one kid is like letting another one go commando. I have a niece who is a Pampers baby, when she's in Huggies she's just pissing down her leg all day. My kid is the opposite: Huggies are the wonder-diaper for him, Pampers do nothing to stop the firehose. He also does well in one of the generics, so I can buy those to stop-gap if I run low (which I almost never do because Amazon auto-ships them every month, with an auto-delivery discount - hells yeah, Amazon Moms program!) Just be ready to try different brands until you find what works for your kid.