Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chrisgt posted:

Do they use a thermostat still? Or just regulate the temperature by controlling the speed of the pump?
I've always wondered about that.

I bet they still have a thermostat, just so they can circulate coolant through the engine without going through the radiator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
This, you still want the water moving (to avoid hotspots), but not through the radiator until the engine's up to temp.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I bet they still have a thermostat, just so they can circulate coolant through the engine without going through the radiator.

The whole point was not to have a piece of phase-change wax to control the temperature. They might have an electric valve actuation system of some kind, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sure, and that'd make sense...but I wouldn't want to warm up an engine with absolutely zero coolant movement other than convection alone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sure, and that'd make sense...but I wouldn't want to warm up an engine with absolutely zero coolant movement other than convection alone.

I've done that before. It doesn't end well.

Also, the BMWs I've worked on with an electric water pump also have an electronically actuated thermostat. It's retardedly expensive and has a coolant temp sensor built into it. Both are controlled by the ECU.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:hitler: "Boss, the customer base is complaining that our cooling systems are too failure prone and expensive to fix"

:confused: "Really? I mean, I know there's a fair bit of plastic in there, and yeah, the impeller might not have been the best thing to make from that, but I didn't think we were making anything much different from everyone else. Ask Fritz to sort it."

Some time and one Oktoberfest later:

:science: "I've managed to not only remove the plastic impeller, I've removed the engine-driven waterpump entirely! And that stupid mechanical thermostat thing we've been using since Karl Benz decided he couldn't be hosed with walking everywhere."

:haw: "Top man! Fit it to everything!"

Every single person who keeps a car longer than the warranty: :qq:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pretty undramatic from the inside but pretty spectacular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ST6FQV2GBIk

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

I've done that before. It doesn't end well.

Also, the BMWs I've worked on with an electric water pump also have an electronically actuated thermostat. It's retardedly expensive and has a coolant temp sensor built into it. Both are controlled by the ECU.

But do you have to dumb a half dozen of them into a pot of boiling water to see which ones actually work?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Motronic posted:

I'm kind of surprised they even physically have a thermostat as, in theory anyways, you wouldn't need a thermostat at all if you have a variable speed electric coolant pump. The engine can't survive without pretty extensive, continous internal coolant circulation would be my guess.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Can you explain your thinking on that? We just covered why you'd still want a thermostat even with a variable-speed electric water pump.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Pretty undramatic from the inside but pretty spectacular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ST6FQV2GBIk

Wowzer! I figured I'd have to look for the shadow of something under the bac...oh the tire's come off.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
*nevermind*

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I thought thermostats used a bimetal spring. Shows how much attention I've paid to them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

General_Failure posted:

I thought thermostats used a bimetal spring. Shows how much attention I've paid to them.

Well, household HVAC thermostats do, so there's that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Thermostats are actually pretty interesting tech for something so simple and common.

As far as bimetal springs on engines, the only thing I can think of are on old carburetor automatic chokes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, and they're loving pieces of poo poo too if you ask me.

I don't think a bimetallic spring is capable of generating the force necessary to keep a thermostat either closed or open against the flow from a water pump.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Don't run over mattresses.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Motronic posted:

Don't run over mattresses.

Now that's an unusual repeat to have in here.. :)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Regarding all the BMW thermostat chat; yes, they have one. Not only is it a thermostat, it also has a sensor (to see if it's open or not) and, I poo poo you not, an electrical heater element so it can be forced open faster (why that is, I have no clue.)

I guess it's all done to squeeze the last few MPGs out of the engine to get better ratings. One could ask the question if a simpler, more robust construction wasn't worth a few tenths of an MPG over the life of the car, but car makers don't sell used cars, they sell new ones.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
You're making a value judgement on what you think is robust, if a multinational engineering firm (BMW) decided that it was beneficial for emissions and any other reasons not disclosed, I'd tend to trust what they say.

Not to say that the plastic waterpump impeller was a bad idea, just poor materials engineering from when it was bleeding edge technology.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, trust big business, they have everyone's best interests at heart.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

DJ Commie posted:

You're making a value judgement on what you think is robust, if a multinational engineering firm (BMW) decided that it was beneficial for emissions and any other reasons not disclosed, I'd tend to trust what they say.

Reasons: passes emissions. Cheaper than redesigning the engine. Despite being absurdly complex, it at least lasts the warranty period often enough that a risk assessment said it would be worth the warranty repairs on the failed units.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Bruton Smith's crazy 4-Wide drag strip is 25 minutes from my house and they're running one of the two National Events of the year there (the only one that they actually run 4-wide, the other one is only 2 lanes) Anyway, two years ago at the first 4-wide in 2010, Funny Car driver Matt Hagan blew one up big time. (He's in the second lane from the left, but this video shows it plenty of times.
http://youtu.be/9oj1O8ip-VQ

Matt went on to become 2011 World Champ, and was actually the first nitro funny car driver to go in to the threes last fall at Zmax with a 3.995. Yesterday at the 4-Wide Matt was qualifying in the same lane as the 2010 explosion and did nearly the same thing.
http://youtu.be/9jVN5sJhb4Y
The violence of these things is a crazy. Everyone needs to experience a nitro pass in their life.
Here is a picture of his carbon fiber body on the side of the track later in the day

We were there in the Alcohol Funny Car class. Made one pass on Friday, dropped a valve in number 2 over boosted and burned a hole in the block and the head. Got the car back together, but sat out the first round and just got the car ready for another race this weekend. We're sort of a low budget team, and it means more to just qualify for us than it does to go out and try to break something else.
This is our car in Body Tech on Thursday

Here are a few Iphone pics of the damage we did, I can't seem to get good pictures covered in oil.
Copper head gasket and valve, Fire wanted out

Valve, it was upside down in the #2 cylinder. Not much damage, we think it broke right when he shutoff. Put another sleeve and piston in #2

Melted block on #8, if you you look close you can see where it was trying to weld the firewall. New sleeve is already in, we fixed the block with JBWeld.

Valve mark on the cylinder head on #2, its pretty mangled in the valve guide too

Melted part of the head on #8, it will be pricey to get these welded back up, but they're fixable.

Our times on the one pass were:
.959 60ft
2.564 330ft
3.89 @ 185.38 1\8th mile
5.032 1000 ft
6.011 @ 225.75 mph 1\4 Mile

It was probably a 5.8 if it hadn't burned up. The top tier teams are running 5.50s and a few 5.40s with a screw blower instead of the older roots blowers like we run.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

the_worm_ posted:

we fixed the block with JBWeld.

I love racing. :allears:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In all seriousness do you know of any way to get ahold of a blown out headgasket like that for some wall art? Do any teams sell parts? I've seen a couple NHRA castoff odds and ends on ebay and the like but nothing nice and easy to hang like that head gasket.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the_worm_ posted:

The violence of these things is a crazy. Everyone needs to experience a nitro pass in their life.
I recently crossed this one off my bucket list, and I gotta say, you're goddamn right.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

In all seriousness do you know of any way to get ahold of a blown out headgasket like that for some wall art? Do any teams sell parts? I've seen a couple NHRA castoff odds and ends on ebay and the like but nothing nice and easy to hang like that head gasket.

Unless you specifically want one from a funny car it's pretty easy, wait till you blow one (alright maybe easier in some vehicles than others...) and then hang it on the wall. I had the rear head gasket out of my M54A2 on the wall in my cube at Intel, it was a pretty good conversation starter.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

Yeah, trust big business, they have everyone's best interests at heart.

Yeah, like broken aluminum or plastic timing sets :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

Unless you specifically want one from a funny car it's pretty easy, wait till you blow one (alright maybe easier in some vehicles than others...) and then hang it on the wall. I had the rear head gasket out of my M54A2 on the wall in my cube at Intel, it was a pretty good conversation starter.

I do want one from a funny car, I've been making a collection of the head gaskets pulled out at work and so far have Subaru and Jeep covered :v:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

kastein posted:

Easy way to blow one. Add water.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My friend blew up his Evo X. His timing chain stretched at around 30k miles, resulting in this.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
B-b-but chains are better than belts because they last forever and don't stretch!
:goonsay:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

B-b-but chains are better than belts because they last forever and don't stretch!

Indeed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Splizwarf posted:

Let me introduce you to a concept known as the "non interference motor" :v:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Splizwarf posted:

kastein posted:

Let me introduce you to a concept known as the "non interference motor" :v:

:negative:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Does it bother anyone else that transverse V6's never have symmetrical valve covers?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I recently crossed this one off my bucket list, and I gotta say, you're goddamn right.

Seriously, if you are a fan of fast, loud, unnecessary cars, you need to get a cheap Thursday/Friday ticket to an NHRA event and watch the Top Fuel/Funny Car field. Nothing else even comes close to that experience.

If you are a SF Bay goon, go watch them at Sonoma at night - holy :aaaaa:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

revmoo posted:

Does it bother anyone else that transverse V6's never have symmetrical valve covers?

The 3800 does, with the exception of the oil filler cap being on the front (but is still centered).

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

revmoo posted:

If by this you mean "does anyone hate transverse V6's because changing the rear bank spark plugs is a bitch and a half," then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lazer_chicken posted:

If by this you mean "does anyone hate transverse V6's because changing the rear bank spark plugs is a bitch and a half," then yes.

I looked up the procedure for changing the plugs on the girlfriend's 1MZ and stopped reading at removing the intake manifold. gently caress that, it only has 120k on it.