Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kyoujin posted:

I'm a bit confused. Did Eren transforming in the tunnel shut down the theory about needing sunlight to transform? Or was he able to because of some light filtering down through the hole Annie made?

Eren isn't a normal Titan. He's the Bruce Banner of the post apocalyptic medieval future past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Any chance at all that Eren managed to put Annie down with that hit? 'Cause it looks he crushed her neck area with a single hit on page 43

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

No way, there haven't been even close to enough deaths for anything to have been accomplished.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Hey! Did you guys say you wanted a uninspired comedy-spin-off set in an alternative universe where the characters are in a Japanese High School?

:suicide:

Well, you're getting one anyway. On the plus side, I didn't know this was picked up for distribution in America.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's hilarious seeing Mikasa next to your average shounen/seinen heroine.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

LashLightning posted:

Hey! Did you guys say you wanted a uninspired comedy-spin-off set in an alternative universe where the characters are in a Japanese High School?

:suicide:

Well, you're getting one anyway. On the plus side, I didn't know this was picked up for distribution in America.

Yeah, I saw that on the title page this week and was hoping it was just like an extra in volume 7 or something. I'm sure it will be awful.

Volume 1 comes out in June and is 6 bux on Amazon, so there's no reason to not buy it!

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Kusaru posted:

Yeah, I saw that on the title page this week and was hoping it was just like an extra in volume 7 or something. I'm sure it will be awful.

Volume 1 comes out in June and is 6 bux on Amazon, so there's no reason to not buy it!

I might have to buy this for my brother. Is the translation going to be good? Will there be censorship? Should I be hesitant to buy it? And how many chapters will be in the volume?

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Attack on Titan lmao

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really want to read this. The Blame! highschool spinoff was hilarious.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

appledan posted:

Attack on Titan lmao

I wonder if this is one of the cases where the English localizers really wanted to give it a different name but someone in Japan insisted that they spoke some english and that this english translation must be used for some reason.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Applebee123 posted:

I wonder if this is one of the cases where the English localizers really wanted to give it a different name but someone in Japan insisted that they spoke some english and that this english translation must be used for some reason.

I think it's been mentioned in this thread before but:

On an unrelated topic, I found the middle school spinoff pretty terrible. The jokes it makes referencing the original fall flat, and the art is... well. Too different to work, I guess. Reminds me of that inane Vinland Saga spinoff that disappeared without comment a few years ago. I dunno, maybe other people will like it, but for me it was just as bad as I thought it'd be.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 14, 2012

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kusaru posted:

I know I'll be buying this on day 1, but "Attack on Titan"? Really? :cmon:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AnonSpore posted:

The titan being too short to see over the wall because it's in Junior High might be a decent gag, but I get the feeling it's unintended issue of perspective and they're actually at the bottom of the wall and not on the top.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Attack on Titan is such a dumb name for a great series. Was Attack of the Giants or Advance of the Titans or whatever already trademarked in the States or something?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Soulcleaver posted:

Attack on Titan is such a dumb name for a great series. Was Attack of the Giants or Advance of the Titans or whatever already trademarked in the States or something?

It's the official English subtitle for the Japanese release, as you can see on the cover AnonSpore posted. That shouldn't mean that the English release has to use the same title, but sometimes translators don't get the final say.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

appledan posted:

Attack on Titan lmao

I already went trough this. Titan is the planet, the giants are the planets defense system and humans are the foreign blight thats attacking it. Its us, we are the attackers.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Doc Hawkins posted:

Are we still on the first adventure?

...wait, level 8-12? These PCs all just graduated from the academy.

loving DUNGEON MASTER!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Why does this manga own so much? I read the first post in this thread and I was only like mildly intrigued, but then I started reading AND I CANNOT STOP HELP

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because it's a refreshing take on the old zombie apocalypse trope, except instead of zombies they are human-shaped monsters ten times the size of a man but just as fast. And some of these huge zombies are smart and want to destroy(?) the last bastion of humanity! And only one man, who can turn into a giant zombie at will, has the ability to stop them.

Bruce Willis as Eren in...ATTACK ON TITAN, coming Summer 2014

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Yippie Kai-aye, motherfucker

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?
New chapter is out http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/33

:stare:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well that can't be good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
This is what happens when you let Teamsters build your walls.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
was that a Titan corpse hidden in the "holy walls"? Welp, another "fact" about the Titans that turns out to be completely wrong

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

edit: woops nevermind

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
What the hell... bad things are happening, aren't they :psyduck:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

davidHalestorm posted:

was that a Titan corpse hidden in the "holy walls"? Welp, another "fact" about the Titans that turns out to be completely wrong
That's not a corpse. Giant corpses vaporize.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Mikasa's face pretty much exactly mirrors my reaction to that last page. Jesus Christ. That thing is totally gonna look at Mikasa and bust out, isn't it? :ohdear:

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Great chapter.

Seeing the sadness in Annie's face after Mikasa cut her fingers off was something else.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Did not see that coming.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
This manga is fantastic, so much so that the monthly wait is torture.

ilifin posted:

That's not a corpse. Giant corpses vaporize.

While I don't know what to think of it yet, they also need energy. That Titan wouldn't at all be exposed to the Sun, and who knows how long it's been there. I can't imagine that it would've gone so long running on empty. Maybe they only decompose when exposed to sunlight?

e: Most Titans needed the immediate energy, I think the research lady said that some could stand up to a week without sunlight? I'll look for the chapter.
e2: http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/17/17 Timescale's way off, but she didn't try past 3 hours for fear of killing them.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 11, 2012

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.
Well, considering that titans seem to become docile when deprived of sunlight, the walls primary building material could very well be entombed titans.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Brutal. The closeups on the eyes were particularly stunning.

davidHalestorm posted:

I assumed it was Him Without Skin, the first fifty-metre Titan, leaning against it and looking in. Which would also imply who his human identity is.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Totally didn't see that coming. Totally didn't see anything in this issue coming

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Sarcophallus posted:

While I don't know what to think of it yet, they also need energy. That Titan wouldn't at all be exposed to the Sun, and who knows how long it's been there. I can't imagine that it would've gone so long running on empty. Maybe they only decompose when exposed to sunlight?

e: Most Titans needed the immediate energy, I think the research lady said that some could stand up to a week without sunlight? I'll look for the chapter.
e2: http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/17/17 Timescale's way off, but she didn't try past 3 hours for fear of killing them.

If one can assume that giants can compress their "sun energy", the shape Annie is now in might be a hardening of her remaining sun energy to shield herself. Since the giants themselves seem to come out of nowhere, and as previously mentioned are surprisingly lightweight, she could possibly manipulate that energy to cause a different type of metamorphosis. She already knows how to control which part of her regenerates or not.

House Louse posted:

I assumed it was Him Without Skin, the first fifty-metre Titan, leaning against it and looking in. Which would also imply who his human identity is.
I was stumped on this, so I went for the raws. It literally says Giant in the wall, so it is implying that it was inside there the whole time, OR that her shifting into that shell form... thing somehow made it "spawn"? Note that the points where her fingers were cut off is the spot the giant is appearing out of, and that her fingers are gone.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I don't her last move had anything to do with the giant appearing. Annie just ripped out the exact spot (by coincidence?) where the Titan in the wall's face is located. The likeliest explanation is that it's been there the whole time. Whether alive or not, we'll find out in the next chapter, I suspect.

I think that Annie did shell thing to prevent herself being interrogated. She has made a lot of enemies, after all

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 11, 2012

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I think it's possible that there's a difference between real titans and human ones. Could this be some prototype Eren's (and I guess Annie's as well too) dad extracted titan juice from or something?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Annie did look like she was just escaping, and not intentionally meaning to expose the entombed titan. Which probably means the walls are absolutely full of dead titans. I'm having Evangelion graveyard flashbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Man I always get the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack stuck in my head when I read a new chapter. Crazy poo poo going down, god drat.