Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Turk February posted:

This is the exact reason why Martin van Drunen never wants to tour in the U.S., because of poo poo like this and the visa process itself. We suck when it comes to treating musicians. Hell, not even Malevolent Creation will tour the U.S. anymore, and they are a part of it!

Malevolent just toured the US- once with Exodus and not long after that with The Absence. This was maybe in 2011? They have issues keeping a stable line up, and well, I'll leave other poo poo left unsaid.

That too, the cost is ridiculous. I have a friend in a band from Italy and the work visas for say Russia, South America or other (non-EU) Euro countries are much cheaper, faster and easier to obtain. He refuses to tour in America because he won't come close to breaking even. I don't know how or some of these smaller bands do these big US tours. I can see getting in for a weekend or a few weeks to play a fest and do some small shows, but otherwise, drat.

E- Merzbow at Scion- awesome! I know you just sign up for a ticket for Scion but how fast do they go? I don't want to miss out on this show because I took a day off from the internet.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I don't know how prevalent this is outside the US, but larger venues here are now extorting money from shows by demanding cuts of merch sales, keeping ticket money up to a certain number ("the first 100 tickets are ours, the rest you get a percentage of"). Some venues won't book bands if they think they won't make enough from the bar sales.

The visa process is outrageous but almost everyone involved in live shows is contributing to the situation.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rion.exe posted:

I just discovered Black Knight and I can't help but grin like an idiot when I listen to this.

It is awesome. :colbert:

I must concur with your assessment of this musical piece.

To contribute to the thread... here's some Demons & Wizards.
I can't stop listening to this song, goes even better when I'm at work welding.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

thepitgoddess posted:

Malevolent just toured the US- once with Exodus and not long after that with The Absence. This was maybe in 2011? They have issues keeping a stable line up, and well, I'll leave other poo poo left unsaid.

I'll be honest and admit that I don't follow Malevolent Creation very much, but I remember reading a very recent interview with I believe Gus Rios, and he said that they won't tour the U.S. because every venue and "fan" is just awful to them. I guess maybe that means they recently made that decision or he could just be a big whiny baby. I'm not too sure.

quote:

That too, the cost is ridiculous. I have a friend in a band from Italy and the work visas for say Russia, South America or other (non-EU) Euro countries are much cheaper, faster and easier to obtain. He refuses to tour in America because he won't come close to breaking even. I don't know how or some of these smaller bands do these big US tours. I can see getting in for a weekend or a few weeks to play a fest and do some small shows, but otherwise, drat.

I have one answer for you about this: 9/11. Dem got dang dirty Muslims uh hosed up are metal! :argh: I will freely admit that I have no idea how the process went before that event since I wasn't really old enough to go to shows alone with bands that came from out of the country.

Morbid Florist posted:

I don't know how prevalent this is outside the US, but larger venues here are now extorting money from shows by demanding cuts of merch sales, keeping ticket money up to a certain number ("the first 100 tickets are ours, the rest you get a percentage of"). Some venues won't book bands if they think they won't make enough from the bar sales.

I have been hearing this is a real problem within the Southern California scene. I have a lot of friends involved in promoting and bands, and I have heard some horror stories about how the larger venues are sucking dry what profit "could" be made. I guess I can understand the venue taking maybe a 5% cut since you are basically using their facilities that they pay for, but other than that is loving ridiculous.

quote:

The visa process is outrageous but almost everyone involved in live shows is contributing to the situation.

I interviewed Nergal yesterday and I brought up Watain, and without any prompting he said, and I am paraphrasing his words here, "If they would have done it five days earlier then they would be here right now." Somebody definitely hosed up on their end.

Speaking of Nergal, Behemoth loving killed it last night, with or without Watain. The show was really fun. I hadn't acquainted myself with either The Devil's Blood or In Solitude before because I wanted to be surprised how they could perform in a live atmosphere, and both bands were having the time of their lives. The drummers were going absolutely wild.

It took a long time for Behemoth to come on because of getting in their make-up and costumes, as well as the techs having a tiny bit of trouble with (I don't know the name for it) wireless amp technology so Seth, Nergal, and Orion could move around the stage freely. They put on about an hour or so set. They stuck to mainly stuff from their last six albums, but they at least played 'Moonspell Rites'. But, besides those tiny hiccups, the band was incredibly tight and Nergal had incredible stage presence.

I highly suggest you go see them if you have a chance.

T-Bozz Factor
Apr 28, 2003
Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while but better late than never. I just wanted to throw out some bands from my local scene, Wilmington NC, aka the Cape Fear region (Home of Weedeater, Sourvein, ASG). The new crop of heavy bands here isn't extreme metal centric, and somewhat surprisingly, there haven't really been any sludge bands coming up. I guess Weedeater just casts a pretty big shadow here. The style in the up and comers is more of a throwback to the 70s and early 80s with a lot of hard rock influence. That might send some of you running away screaming but others might be into it! This isn't intended to be an advertisement, I just think this a great, unique little scene in the wonderful world of Southern US heavy metal and I wanted to rep it a little.

Mortal Man: Doom/Stoner concept band based around a narrative about the rise and fall of Mortal Man and the Champion of Forever. Sounds kind of weird but the narrative concept is done very well, and they have great riffs and an awesome singer.
http://soundcloud.com/mortal-man

Salvacion: Traditional Metal/Hard Rock band, throwback to the 70s and early 80s. Think Rainbow, Scorpions, Priest, Di'anno era-Maiden.
http://www.reverbnation.com/salvacionrocks

Children of the Reptile(yes this is my band, but we're good! Honest!): Traditional Heavy Metal with some southern rock, bay area thrash, and progressive moments.
http://www.reverbnation.com/childrenofthereptile

Atolla: Pretty new band here, has a definite upbeat stoner vibe. (Think along the lines of the Sword, Torche) Their recordings aren't professional and they don't have a singer, but goddamn, they've got some amazing riffs.
http://www.reverbnation.com/Atolla

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Venues generally take around 25% of merch sales, which is really brutal for bands when they spend a bit extra on having good quality shirts, multicolor prints, front/back, sleeves, and other things that are really nice beyond the basic "cheapest shirt available and one color print on it".

Venues find every way to nickel and dime more money out of people, because they're businesses and often very few of the people involved care about most of the bands they book. Fees make up a third to half of the ticket price, the band sees none of that. Having a bottom line number of tickets that need to be sold until the band gets a miniscule cut takes more away. Bands get nothing from charging for parking. Venues around here also take a cut of the bartenders tips, which bands also don't see as a part of bar sales (if they're lucky enough to get a cut of bar sales).

This makes me miss seeing bands play in warehouse spaces and bars. All the local independent venues are either gone or don't book metal anymore. Apparently one of the new favored venues for local metal bands to play is an Italian restaurant, I'm going to need to check this out. They probably have a lounge/bar area but it still seems like an odd venue,.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 12, 2012

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Trees and Squids posted:

Diablo Swing Orchestra released a new song. I love these guys, though if you haven't heard of them you should know what you're getting yourself into. It's metal (kinda barely) with a fairly legitimate opera singer and compositions with really heavy swing-jazz influence with lots of cello and brass and stuff.

Their two albums are both fantastic. If you're into this kind of avant-garde poo poo, I can't recommend them enough.

Everyone has different taste, but I imagine this band may cater for some who are too metal to admit they like outside genres. The music is quite good, but I'd prefer the pure swing tunes. :D

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The new old Pantera song from the Vulgar-era. "Piss"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yeVJguP_T40

It's Pantera.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

quote:

It's poo poo.

Ugh. People got excited over this?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BoyGenius posted:

Two bands I've been listening to a lot of recently:

Dark Tranquility - Out of Nothing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Dkr5HGNsI

All Shall Perish - The Day of Justice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77p4nRKdiOk
thanks for posting

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I miss Isis so loving much you guys. Aaron Turner's project (well, the band he's in now) Twilight has an album titled "Monument to Time End" which hails from its other members' black and atmospheric roots (other members include Xasthur, Atlas Moth and Minsk alumni) to come out a grim and frostbitten monster. Worth a listen.

Twilight - The Cryptic Ascension

Bonus: Check out Hacride's "Perturbed," awesome French groove that redefines how to use breakdowns and build-ups. (NSFW for boobies)

vanov fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 13, 2012

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's Pantera.

Half of it sounds like discarded riffs from Strength Beyond Stength.

Meh. Watching a bunch of dirty looking rednecks head bang was the worst part of that video, though.

Escape_GOAT fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 13, 2012

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's Pantera.

This is boring as gently caress

vanov posted:

I miss Isis so loving much you guys. Aaron Turner's project (well, the band he's in now) Twilight has an album titled "Monument to Time End" which hails from its other members' black and atmospheric roots (other members include Xasthur, Atlas Moth and Minsk alumni) to come out a grim and frostbitten monster. Worth a listen.

This is awesome as gently caress

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 13, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

vanov posted:

Bonus: Check out Hacride's "Perturbed," awesome French groove that redefines how to use breakdowns and build-ups. (NSFW for boobies)

Malefic didn't play on the same album Aaron Turner did. He only played on the first album which was more "traditional" black metal. You also missed Blake Judd from Nachtmystium, who contributed an asston to the album. "Monument to Time End" is a pretty killer record and the last track really sounds like a black-metal Isis (So, loving awesome.)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Carl Seitan posted:

Meh. Watching a bunch of dirty looking rednecks head bang was the worst part of that

That could accurately sum up my attempt to go see Obituary a couple years ago

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Malefic didn't play on the same album Aaron Turner did. He only played on the first album which was more "traditional" black metal. You also missed Blake Judd from Nachtmystium, who contributed an asston to the album. "Monument to Time End" is a pretty killer record and the last track really sounds like a black-metal Isis (So, loving awesome.)

Yeah, from interviews and stuff I've read, it sounds like the whole thing is Blake Judd's brainchild. Granted, I don't like Blake right now because I paypalled him $20 for a couple CDs and he never sent them and won't return my e-mails now :mad: that butthole

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

T-Bozz Factor posted:

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while but better late than never. I just wanted to throw out some bands from my local scene, Wilmington NC, aka the Cape Fear region (Home of Weedeater, Sourvein, ASG). The new crop of heavy bands here isn't extreme metal centric, and somewhat surprisingly, there haven't really been any sludge bands coming up. I guess Weedeater just casts a pretty big shadow here. The style in the up and comers is more of a throwback to the 70s and early 80s with a lot of hard rock influence. That might send some of you running away screaming but others might be into it! This isn't intended to be an advertisement, I just think this a great, unique little scene in the wonderful world of Southern US heavy metal and I wanted to rep it a little.

Mortal Man: Doom/Stoner concept band based around a narrative about the rise and fall of Mortal Man and the Champion of Forever. Sounds kind of weird but the narrative concept is done very well, and they have great riffs and an awesome singer.
http://soundcloud.com/mortal-man

Salvacion: Traditional Metal/Hard Rock band, throwback to the 70s and early 80s. Think Rainbow, Scorpions, Priest, Di'anno era-Maiden.
http://www.reverbnation.com/salvacionrocks

Children of the Reptile(yes this is my band, but we're good! Honest!): Traditional Heavy Metal with some southern rock, bay area thrash, and progressive moments.
http://www.reverbnation.com/childrenofthereptile

Atolla: Pretty new band here, has a definite upbeat stoner vibe. (Think along the lines of the Sword, Torche) Their recordings aren't professional and they don't have a singer, but goddamn, they've got some amazing riffs.
http://www.reverbnation.com/Atolla

This song kicks some rear end, even if the video is really really BYOB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgQsE3YfUDk

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Francostein posted:

This song kicks some rear end, even if the video is really really BYOB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgQsE3YfUDk

My cousin used to play bass for them I think. Also I think the singer posts here.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, from interviews and stuff I've read, it sounds like the whole thing is Blake Judd's brainchild. Granted, I don't like Blake right now because I paypalled him $20 for a couple CDs and he never sent them and won't return my e-mails now :mad: that butthole

Hey, maybe you'll be mentioned as a co-producer on the next album that drops in July?

Wasn't it on here that someone posted that they had tried to buy a T-shirt on one of the last Nachtmystium tours and the guys said that they had forgotten to order shirts before the tour started or they had spent all the funds on drugs. Man, that's pretty rock n' roll. With that said, I can't wait for some new Nachtmystium. The new single that is suppose to come out this month is going to have a cover version of Joy Division's "The Eternal", w/ Chris Connelly on vocals.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Thank you for these corrections, I did mention it was just a project he's in now but nonetheless the Nachtmystium omission is regrettable.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wasn't it on here that someone posted that they had tried to buy a T-shirt on one of the last Nachtmystium tours and the guys said that they had forgotten to order shirts before the tour started or they had spent all the funds on drugs. Man, that's pretty rock n' roll.

Heh. That was me too. STOP SPENDING ALL MY MONEY ON DRUGS GUYS :negative:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

vanov posted:

Yessssss

and also Ludicra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFUAOLXu-s black metal with atmospheric/heavy rock elements (sort of like Alcest or Amesoeurs)

and Javelina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1j21v5rufQ because they are fun

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

ChickenArise posted:

Yessssss

and also Ludicra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFUAOLXu-s black metal with atmospheric/heavy rock elements (sort of like Alcest or Amesoeurs)

and Javelina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1j21v5rufQ because they are fun

Both of those links are fantastic, but I have to commend Javelina especially for being able to pull off the now-popular post-sludge sound (Baroness, High on Fire) in a pretty unique and interesting way. Though, they sound more like Old Man Gloom at points, which is also a fine comparison.

edit: "post-sludge" is not a real thing, I am making it up to explain (to myself I guess) the barrier between Baroness and Neurosis. If there is a better term I would love to use it.

vanov fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 14, 2012

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Got back from seeing Mastodon, Opeth, and Ghost.

Ghost is so far the most evil band I've seen live. Those dudes are creepy.

Opeth put on a good show and played Demon of the Fall and another really old song that escapes me.

Mastodon was also a good show. They played Blood and Thunder, so I was happy.

All in all, half an hour rock and roll Satan followed by two hours of prog-metal.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Hey, maybe you'll be mentioned as a co-producer on the next album that drops in July?

Wasn't it on here that someone posted that they had tried to buy a T-shirt on one of the last Nachtmystium tours and the guys said that they had forgotten to order shirts before the tour started or they had spent all the funds on drugs. Man, that's pretty rock n' roll. With that said, I can't wait for some new Nachtmystium. The new single that is suppose to come out this month is going to have a cover version of Joy Division's "The Eternal", w/ Chris Connelly on vocals.

Yea, when I saw them play in Orlando all they had was a copy of Eulogy IV and their live album and maybe a youth small t-shirt. I like buying poo poo at shows, so it pisses me off when bands just flat out don't have anything. Sad part is, I regret not buying Eulogy IV because it's probably one of their best albums. "Bleed for Thee" is such a killer song.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Hey here's a small sampler of what my band (Cult of Endtime) has been up to:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6281533/sigillum-treeni.mp3

Most of the new songs are grimy doom/death monstrosities much like this one.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

m-o-o-n posted:

Nice.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Holy poo poo. This is the best thing I've seen all week.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

s0nar posted:

Opeth put on a good show and played Demon of the Fall and another really old song that escapes me.

All in all, half an hour rock and roll Satan followed by two hours of prog-metal.

How did Mikael's growls sound? I know everybody made a big deal out of that Bloodbath video where he sounds awful, but he claims it was him not being used to in-ear monitors or something. Just curious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

s0nar posted:

Friend of mine was as this show yesterday, he sent me some pics on the phone of Ghost. Wish I could see them here but I don't want to sit thru Opeth and Mastadon. Plus no more good seats left (I loving hate seated shows).

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of Opeth, Mikael quit Bloodbath

http://loudwire.com/opeth-frontman-mikael-akerfeldt-no-longer-a-member-of-bloodbath/

Not that shocking I guess. He said he was losing some interest in death metal when I interviewed him back in October, and the last time he really got into a DM album was in 1995 with Morbid Angel's Covenant.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

BSchlang posted:

Speaking of Opeth, Mikael quit Bloodbath

This is very disappointing! I was really hoping that when he said he was tired with metal he was just spouting inane bullshit like he usually does before releasing a new album. The Wacken Carnage is an outrageously good live death metal release if anyone hasn't checked it out already. The song "Eaten" has pretty much left me resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to eat my first born daughter. I've slowly come to terms with that.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Bloodbath are poo poo anyway. A band that formed to "bring back oldschool death metal" and thus whose existence was rendered completely redundant by the fact Repugnant and Kaamos amongst countless others already existed and released better material.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I don't get the hype Bloodbath gets. Technically its not bad, but I find it really boring, especially if you compare the band directly with other bands in the same style.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Lencho posted:

I don't get the hype Bloodbath gets...

It's not so much that Bloodbath is particularly good. For me, it's that The Wacken Carnage is just a really fun album.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

m-o-o-n posted:

That is very doomy, I like what I hear. I love you guys, Nuclear Witch is great. I need to get a hold of your first demo too.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Drifter287 posted:

How did Mikael's growls sound? I know everybody made a big deal out of that Bloodbath video where he sounds awful, but he claims it was him not being used to in-ear monitors or something. Just curious.

Really solid. It is noticeably quieter than his singing voice like they say.

Vintersorg posted:

Friend of mine was as this show yesterday, he sent me some pics on the phone of Ghost. Wish I could see them here but I don't want to sit thru Opeth and Mastadon. Plus no more good seats left (I loving hate seated shows).

The venue where I saw them was SRO. I was down in the pit for Blood and Thunder which ruled. I'm getting too old for the pit.

e: Oh yeah, Opeth closed with The Grand Conjuration.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 14, 2012

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Bloodbath are poo poo anyway. A band that formed to "bring back oldschool death metal" and thus whose existence was rendered completely redundant by the fact Repugnant and Kaamos amongst countless others already existed and released better material.

Oh wow I've never heard of Kaamos before but this is some loving really cool poo poo.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

fappenmeister posted:

Nice.

Fingers McGee posted:

That is very doomy, I like what I hear. I love you guys, Nuclear Witch is great. I need to get a hold of your first demo too.

Thanks! Our first demo is rather thrash oriented and not very representative of our current sound at all but you can listen to it at our Soundcloud page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Bagsack posted:

The song "Eaten" has pretty much left me resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to eat my first born daughter. I've slowly come to terms with that.

You know what it's about, right?