Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

potee posted:

This guy was especially useless, since basically everything he said boiled down to "The gender gap/taxes/the Ryan budget is a serious issue for Romney but it's actually going to cost Obama the election because it's not a problem for Romney" :smug:

The best was when he said the Paul Ryan budget was a great plan but then admitted Ryan has submitted the same plan since 1998 and no one has taken it seriously for those 14 years. Yeah sounds like a great plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The former Reagan budget director is pretty good at explaining and breaking down taxes quickly without lying. He's done it a few times on this show without much subterfuge (which is atypical when talking about taxes on TV).

Former Human posted:

The best was when he said the Paul Ryan budget was a great plan but then admitted Ryan has submitted the same plan since 1998 and no one has taken it seriously for those 14 years. Yeah sounds like a great plan!

His whole argument basically boiled down to "Yea, these plans are all disingenuous and can't work but look at our election results."

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Besides, PJ lost his mantle to that rear end Gillespie in his smug jacket back in last season.

I remember Gillespie wearing his patented Libertarian leather jacket openly mocking that mayor (I believe) about how his city/town sucks. That big mayor was ready to attack him.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Yeah, would've much rather had Tavis on the panel again, or Cornel West swoop down from the rafters after the book plug for it, than that incredibly smug guy that added nothing to it but smug.

I would have rather seen Cornel West swoop down from the rafters to snatch up that smug rear end in a top hat and then fly him back to the nest to be devoured. I'd never seen him anywhere before, so I decided to check out his website and oh boy what do you know it's a bunch of bullshit.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

IRQ posted:

That would have been way better yeah. Who was the smug little prick anyway? Some guy who runs a right wing website? Is it even a big one?

Tavis Smiley is a guy I need to learn more about though. He perfectly articulated why I hate Obama/the democrats and why I hope the mandate is found unconstitutional.

They said he also wrote for the Weekly Standard.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

IRQ posted:

That would have been way better yeah. Who was the smug little prick anyway? Some guy who runs a right wing website? Is it even a big one?

Tavis Smiley is a guy I need to learn more about though. He perfectly articulated why I hate Obama/the democrats and why I hope the mandate is found unconstitutional.

He has a show on NPR that you could look for. I don't like it enough to listen to the podcast for it, but I will plan to drive somewhere about the time it comes on. He usually has pretty interesting guests on and he's a pretty cool guy anyways.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rochallor posted:

He has a show on NPR that you could look for. I don't like it enough to listen to the podcast for it, but I will plan to drive somewhere about the time it comes on. He usually has pretty interesting guests on and he's a pretty cool guy anyways.

I definitely will. I like NPR but when I tune in it's mostly The Incredibly Old Lady or Kojo Naaaaaaaaaaandi! that's on.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Kim Campbell :allears:

That dork in the middle had absolutely nothing to contribute.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I think Kim Campbell is a really underrated guest. She's quietly doing some good in this world :canada:

Whereas :smug: is contributing what exactly?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Godinster posted:

Kim Campbell :allears:

That dork in the middle had absolutely nothing to contribute.

That guy bothered me before he even opened his mouth with his creep rear end stare at the camera during introductions.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Deadpool posted:

That guy bothered me before he even opened his mouth with his creep rear end stare at the camera during introductions.

I audibly sighed when I spotted him...

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thomas Frank burned that Buchholz guy. :fry:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I honestly don't know what to believe. They brought up the pink slime stuff and yeah holy poo poo wtf, but then I've read so much stuff on SA saying the pink slime stuff is overblown or misrepresented.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Buchholz was a complete rear end and ruined this episode. Between him, and Maher's rather bad monologue, this whole episode was a chore to watch.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fart blood posted:

Buchholz was a complete rear end and ruined this episode. Between him, and Maher's rather bad monologue, this whole episode was a chore to watch.

Yea, it was a colossal dud. Soft-spoken and starstruck 1 on 1 interview that was unenlightening: "Obama kissed me!" and "Manure trucks blocked me."

Then to a panel featuring people spouting off madeup stats "Millionaires in the US make 10% of the income in this country." :wtf: did I hear that right? The guy who said it seemed to be feigning incredulity too. It's so off I thought it was some form of absurd humor. The highlight of the panel was Chrystia Freeland making strange faces.

Then to the comic/guest entrance who looks like the incarnation of Pigman (from the novel series). This is the part where Bill asks religious guest XYZ if we should've killed OBL. Oh and BTW all the guests have another new book out! :cripes:

End that with a rehashed monologue with really bad jokes and a rehashed new rules segment. (Writers take a week off)?

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 21, 2012

az
Dec 2, 2005

That has been a problem for a few weeks or months now. Dumb guests that are never put on the spot for talking poo poo and lame joke segments that are more awkward than funny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ApexAftermath posted:

I honestly don't know what to believe. They brought up the pink slime stuff and yeah holy poo poo wtf, but then I've read so much stuff on SA saying the pink slime stuff is overblown or misrepresented.

Remember Bill Maher's other opinions on food/medicine. He's not really who I'd look to for information on the whole "pink slime" slow news week controversy. If you read about what it actually is you probably won't understand what people are angry about.

The only real reason to care about it one way or another is that the cost savings probably weren't passed on to us anyway. (before getting into the fact that several hundred people lost their jobs because the media needed something to fill air)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Remember Bill Maher's other opinions on food/medicine. He's not really who I'd look to for information on the whole "pink slime" slow news week controversy. If you read about what it actually is you probably won't understand what people are angry about.

The only real reason to care about it one way or another is that the cost savings probably weren't passed on to us anyway. (before getting into the fact that several hundred people lost their jobs because the media needed something to fill air)

The issue with me was always more that they use the shittiest parts of the cow to make that stuff. Not just the fact that it looks disgusting as hell.

Then again, it's not like it's stopped me form eating lovely food at McDonnalds so...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's safe to eat, it's just terrible crap. And the pictures are kinda gross, but once lab-grown meat becomes cheap enough to be mass produced it's going to have the same issue even though it'll be a huge environmental win.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, this was the first episode in years that I actually fell asleep against somewhere past the halfway mark---had to DVR a rerun this morning just so I could get caught up with the thread and OT. There was just no spark to it---and these utterly lost Pelosi clips are just baffling to me compared to when Taibbi was the real time real reporter.

However, to my horror, for some damned reason S.E. Cupp is coming back to the show next week---though I'm not sure if to poo poo up the panel again or just an interview.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ExiledTinkerer posted:

However, to my horror, for some damned reason S.E. Cupp is coming back to the show next week---though I'm not sure if to poo poo up the panel again or just an interview.

Ugh. In the top 5 worst guests ever probably.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

SE Cupp is enjoyable to look at.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ApexAftermath posted:

Ugh. In the top 5 worst guests ever probably.

Maybe if we're super lucky Mos Deff will be the last panel member! :suicide:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

IRQ posted:

Maybe if we're super lucky Mos Deff will be the last panel member! :suicide:

Horror panel: Cupp, Gillespie, and I guess PJ(Or insert another here save for Smug Guy unless it has been awhile!) under some worthless fig leaf about "balance" due to the mysterious phenomenon of one idiot on the panel either drowning the rest or getting dogpiled.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PJ is at least capable of being funny and entertaining while he's being wrong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Horror panel: Cupp, Gillespie, and I guess PJ(Or insert another here save for Smug Guy unless it has been awhile!) under some worthless fig leaf about "balance" due to the mysterious phenomenon of one idiot on the panel either drowning the rest or getting dogpiled.
I would put that Kennedy girl on as the 3rd member of the Worst Panel, she was the worst kind of obnoxious libertarian who won't let others talk and thinks she knows everything.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ah yes Kennedy---I had repressed that apparently! The sad thing is that even if we're just taking it off the top I suspect there's a real chance that we could actually see a panel like this somewhere in the remainder of 2012.

Awesome panel would be what, Tyson/West/Booker nowadays?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

amaranthine posted:

Make sure not to miss yesterday's episode if you want to see the smuggest douche ever.

I'm not kidding - he makes PJ O'Rourke look tolerable.

It was really funny when this guy tried to square off against the Reagan era Republican and got his rear end handed to him, though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was reading about S. E. Cupp and found it strange that she's an atheist who penned a book titled "Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity."

Dissociative identity disorder?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I would also like to nominate Janeane Garofalo for one of the worst all time panel members. Last time she was on she was TERRIBLE

az
Dec 2, 2005

Zogo posted:

I was reading about S. E. Cupp and found it strange that she's an atheist who penned a book titled "Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity."

Dissociative identity disorder?

The liberal media is to conservatives as a dingo is to australian mothers.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Ah yes Kennedy---I had repressed that apparently! The sad thing is that even if we're just taking it off the top I suspect there's a real chance that we could actually see a panel like this somewhere in the remainder of 2012.

Awesome panel would be what, Tyson/West/Booker nowadays?

I want Taibbi back as a Real Time reporter. Please, please get rid of Pelosi.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

az posted:

I understand that dynamic but in this instance it seems as if Cupp is one of the dingos in the equation itself.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
To all of you discussing your worst panel ideas....have you all forgotten when Robin Williams was on the panel many years ago? He was the only one Bill Maher looked like he wanted to run over with his fists. He was loving unbearable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

fart blood posted:

To all of you discussing your worst panel ideas....have you all forgotten when Robin Williams was on the panel many years ago? He was the only one Bill Maher looked like he wanted to run over with his fists. He was loving unbearable.

I had repressed that memory, thanks a lot, jerk.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HBO just renewed this show for two more seasons:

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/hbo-re-ups-real-time-bill-maher-2-more-seasons-37239

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

HBO just renewed this show for two more seasons:

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/hbo-re-ups-real-time-bill-maher-2-more-seasons-37239

4.1 million viewers per episode? That's actually surprisingly good. I have no idea what Leno/Letterman/Daily Show pull in but that seems pretty solid.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Worst panelists discussion has gone on too long with mention of Stephen Moore from the WSJ.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

az posted:

The dingo attack was real though...

az
Dec 2, 2005

^^^
I did not know that!

fart blood posted:

Robin Williams the actor and comedian? What happened on the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

az posted:

Robin Williams the actor and comedian? What happened on the show?

HURR LET ME INTERRUPT PEOPLE TALKING BY YELLING UNFUNNY JOKES IN A STUPID VOICE

It was horrible.