Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

It think if we pour our hipster into this Wiki article we could produce a great resource for new listeners.

It's already honestly way too lengthy. I cannot count the amount of times I have looked at mainstream catch-all lists, tried some bands out, and have been disappointed by bland, ambient sound.

Post-rock is just too large an envelope to throw together in a single list anymore. What would probably be needed one of those cloud-like diagrams where more popular bands would be larger, and from there on all similar bands are linked together in a huge web. I think Pandora had something like that?

Anyway, it'd be great for people like me who started out on Mogwai, ventured into Do Make Say Think or Tortoise and found it awfully droney and boring, then stumbled onto Mono... etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Jan posted:

Post-rock is just too large an envelope to throw together in a single list anymore. What would probably be needed one of those cloud-like diagrams where more popular bands would be larger, and from there on all similar bands are linked together in a huge web. I think Pandora had something like that?

Or some kind of wiki style web, where you could start with the bubble POST ROCK and have it branch out into bands like GY!BE and The Samuel Jackson Five and This Will Destroy You. and branching out from there.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Cymbal Monkey posted:

This simply proves that The Silent Ballet is useless. Though Deep Politics getting album of the year was a good call... I would have given them album of the millenium...

Also, what the gently caress

In my mind that's a bit like saying "Mac OS X is a great operating system for the first time computer user. While it doesn't crash as often as Vista..."

I'm really not big on Explosions in the Sky... they're the reason post rock is so often relegated to soundtrack music.

Yea I didn't know if they were complimenting or insulting. Basically they said it isn't "experimental" or "post rock" enough. But gently caress it man, we do what we want! Our first album had plenty of experimental stuff. Our new album is somewhere in between... I think?

Parachute Underwear posted:

Please let us know as soon as it's out :)

Absolutely.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah Ohms, your album has been on heavy rotation for me. I'll buy the crap out of an vinyl you release :)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
http://russiancircles.tumblr.com/post/20472050992/the-skinny-russian-circles-vs-pelican-the-q-a

So here's a thing. Russian Circles and Pelican in an interview together.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Or some kind of wiki style web, where you could start with the bubble POST ROCK and have it branch out into bands like GY!BE and The Samuel Jackson Five and This Will Destroy You. and branching out from there.

Like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-rock#1990s_post-rock? (it has the major groups + Laika, Labradford and Stars of the Lid, which deserve a listen as well)

ulvir posted:

Is there a decent website out there where I can stay up to date on new releases and so forth? Till now this thread has pretty much been my only source.

Semi same here - apart for a thread on another forum that died out and a certain siren :filez: blog. I used to avoid Silent Ballet for the amount of stuff they put in there, though looking back now, it's cool that they've put "Releases in... " entries.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

eithedog posted:

Like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-rock#1990s_post-rock? (it has the major groups + Laika, Labradford and Stars of the Lid, which deserve a listen as well)

Semi same here - apart for a thread on another forum that died out and a certain siren :filez: blog. I used to avoid Silent Ballet for the amount of stuff they put in there, though looking back now, it's cool that they've put "Releases in... " entries.

I can't stop reading your name as "Explosions In The Dog".

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I wish that wasn't just a coincidence - you've however made my day :toot: (and now I can't stop laughing)

DepoProvera
May 3, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_1TQlGtb8

An EitS 'remix' I made when I was much younger(Explains the embarrassing pictures in the middle). Not promoting or anything, just still think it sounds really good (especially towards the end).

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Chunkey, someone should start a band that's just ten guitarists and a drummer.

Tone. I think their latest album has 5 guitars, 1 bass, and two drummers.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

chunkey posted:

Tone. I think their latest album has 5 guitars, 1 bass, and two drummers.

If Evolution was recorded on something better than built in laptop mics it would be the best song.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
The Pirate Ship Quintet are (finally) done with their new album, it's out in May. If you've forgotten who they are, here's a reminder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6X6l55cV9s

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Rhgr posted:

The Pirate Ship Quintet are (finally) done with their new album, it's out in May. If you've forgotten who they are, here's a reminder.

Ohmygod what, yes, I am so stoked now.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rhgr posted:

What. This. Is. Amazing.
I'd never heard of them and am now super excited. Great stuff.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I remember realizing once that one of my favourite bands hadn't even released their first album yet. I felt pretty hipster. "I liked The Pirate Ship Quintet before the had a full album."

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Is Shellac ever going to release another album? Whenever I google around like an old retard I just get their unupdated touch and go page from forever ago. Also I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread but as I mentioned earlier, I am old, and, retarded.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
This genre really needs a tracking database where you can flag any pretentiously titled 3 song EPs that catch your attention, to be alerted on the off-chance they lead to an album six years later.

(Then again, it's not like I'm short on new material even with bands falling off the map left and right.)

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

WoG posted:

This genre really needs a tracking database where you can flag any pretentiously titled 3 song EPs that catch your attention, to be alerted on the off-chance they lead to an album six years later.

(Then again, it's not like I'm short on new material even with bands falling off the map left and right.)

As long as Yndi Halda don't die, we're doing ok.

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:
For those who haven't seen, Sigur Ros finally has dates scheduled for a North American tour!

http://www.avclub.com/toronto/articles/sigur-ros-announces-brief-yet-majestic-north-ameri,72324/

i've never had the privilege of seeing them live but you bet your rear end I will be this time around!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stringstheory posted:

For those who haven't seen, Sigur Ros finally has dates scheduled for a North American tour!

http://www.avclub.com/toronto/articles/sigur-ros-announces-brief-yet-majestic-north-ameri,72324/

i've never had the privilege of seeing them live but you bet your rear end I will be this time around!

I'm pretty sure they're never going to play anywhere near me :smith:

Oh well. Jonsi played Voodoo Fest here a couple years ago and it was loving magical, so at least I got to see that even though he didn't play any Sigur Ros stuff.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Already knew I was seeing them at Osheaga since it was announced a while back but I'm still really stoked. I think this'll be the second post-rock show I get to catch since I saw Russian Circles during their Enter days.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
NYC GOONS!

My band, Spaces, is playing a show on Wednesday April 18th at Public Assembly. It's going to be a unique show for us because we've been experimenting with some projection mapping.

http://www.facebook.com/events/139868246138672/

We play an instrumental post-rock mixture of Pink Floyd and harder rock, such as Pelican, Russian Circles, Crippled Black Phoenix.

I'd love to see any of you out there, I play drums so come say hi. We play at 9:30 (if it goes according to schedule).

This is a video of a past show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHT3MuyVR-U

And this is our website

http://www.spacescold.com

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Let me see if I can get a flight from Oregon to New York for that.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Sigur Ros' newest has leaked already, but it's in V4, and though I'm far from an audiophile I'll probably wait for it to be released properly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Sigur Ros' newest has leaked already, but it's in V4, and though I'm far from an audiophile I'll probably wait for it to be released properly.

I'm listening to it now and it's so lush and beautiful.

None of the songs have sounded like singles yet, and I know that's not what post-rock is known for at all, but most of their last album was singles and the past couple albums before that had a few on them, too.

Oh well, I'll just listen to this album all the way through every time I listen to it. I don't have a problem with that.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Let me see if I can get a flight from Oregon to New York for that.

Do it! I'll get you in for free, haha.

Did anyone watch the streaming feed of EITS from Coachella? I think they're replaying it tonight.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm listening to it now and it's so lush and beautiful.

None of the songs have sounded like singles yet, and I know that's not what post-rock is known for at all, but most of their last album was singles and the past couple albums before that had a few on them, too.

Oh well, I'll just listen to this album all the way through every time I listen to it. I don't have a problem with that.

I can't remember the last time I felt like listening to a song and therefore didn't listen to the whole album (regardless of how bad the album was overall).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm listening to it now and it's so lush and beautiful

I am going to echo this, I'm nearly halfway through and I think it's already become my favourite Sigur Rós album. As much as I love Ágćtis Byrjun, this one feels a lot more ethereal or something, I dunno but I am seriously digging this

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Will I see any of you goons at Godspeed tonight?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I had the best spot in the house.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 17, 2012

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
That's awesome.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Will I see any of you goons at Godspeed tonight?

I'm going tonight. Great American Music Hall, right? I've had these tickets for months now.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

yrF posted:

I'm going tonight. Great American Music Hall, right? I've had these tickets for months now.

I'll see you there. If you see a overweight bloke in a black tee with blonde curly hair to his shoulders, that's either me or a homeless man. Oh, bring earplugs, the opening band is louder than they really need to be.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a Godspeed You! Black Emperor inspired poster, I thought someone here might like it :ohdear:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ohms posted:

NYC GOONS!

My band, Spaces, is playing a show on Wednesday April 18th at Public Assembly. It's going to be a unique show for us because we've been experimenting with some projection mapping.

http://www.facebook.com/events/139868246138672/

We play an instrumental post-rock mixture of Pink Floyd and harder rock, such as Pelican, Russian Circles, Crippled Black Phoenix.

I'd love to see any of you out there, I play drums so come say hi. We play at 9:30 (if it goes according to schedule).

This is a video of a past show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHT3MuyVR-U

And this is our website

http://www.spacescold.com

I have work till 10pm but I might be able to get out a bit early, if I can Ill definitely come.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

AccountSupervisor posted:

I have work till 10pm but I might be able to get out a bit early, if I can Ill definitely come.

That'd be awesome man! Like I said, we play at 9:30.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

I made a Godspeed You! Black Emperor inspired poster, I thought someone here might like it :ohdear:

I need this made bigger.

For anyone going to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor in San Francisco
The sound quality at the front of the stage is terrible as it often is, and Mike Moya (nicest man in the world, seriously) explained to me that the reason they sit down at live shows is that the focus is supposed to be the projections, not them. So it's better to stand behind the hall's fantastic sound system so you can be obliterated by it and get a great view of the screen.

Addendum: I asked Moya about the sound clip in Static (the rambling about God) and he said there was a woman who had a shortwave radio broadcast where she would talk about things like that, so one day the recorded it. Mystery solved.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 18, 2012

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Ditto Cymbal Monkey. Wait in the back, and avoid tall people.

Did they play anything last night after they walked off stage? I had to catch a train.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Nope, just the "where are you going" clip on repeat for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
Set list from last night's show, Moya was kind enough to sign it for me: