Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dauntasa posted:

Let's not go crazy here.

He might have brushed up against a girl's elbow in a crowded elevator once. That counts, right? :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Elentor posted:

YouTube recommended a little something to my LP account, and I think I have to share with y'all. Spoiler Alert, I suppose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOEAwgU4mo

:psypop:

All of that and he doesn't even have the Versus guide.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Pesky Splinter posted:

And Cloud selling out for Pepsi. Cloud, you shameless tool.

Zidane shilled Coca-Cola, back before he headbutted Kuja during a soccer football soccer game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ArchWizard posted:

Zidane shilled Coca-Cola, back before he headbutted Kuja during a soccer football soccer game.

And the cast of FFXIII-2 have sold their souls (literally, look at their eyes :zombie:) to Prada.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pesky Splinter posted:

So much plastic...

Such a wasted life :smith:

And Cloud selling out for Pepsi. Cloud, you shameless tool.

Those little figurines remind me of some guys models that he put into the PC version of VII:

Cloud field model:

Battle model:

Sephiroth:

Right-handed?

This is really cool!! Did he do every model in the game? Goddamnit blizz Square, give me a loving remake GODDAMNIT

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Macaluso posted:

This is really cool!! Did he do every model in the game? Goddamnit blizz Square, give me a loving remake GODDAMNIT

I don't know. I don't think so though :(

I'm sure they were on this site. Possible spoilers.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 14, 2012

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010

Elentor posted:

YouTube recommended a little something to my LP account, and I think I have to share with y'all. Spoiler Alert, I suppose:

Holy crap...that guy is Super Otaku. :psyboom:

SamuraiSnake fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 14, 2012

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm kind of shocked that he looks like a completely normal person. Like, he actually goes out into society and functions normally. He might have even touched a girl at some point.

This is exactly what I was thinking. He looks like just some guy. Cute, even. I can just imagine how many women he's taken back home, only to have them scream in terror and flee the instant they see his room.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sefiroth is exactly what an avid collector would call him.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I REALLY wanted this thing when I saw it in the window of some japanese store in the mall

The price tag was like... $300 or $400 though so THAT never happened.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Macaluso posted:

I REALLY wanted this thing when I saw it in the window of some japanese store in the mall

The price tag was like... $300 or $400 though so THAT never happened.

I will tell you one thing, it's more reasonably-priced than some figures out there (not that this is any defense for buying it, oh no). Studio Halfeye Cybuster is still king supreme of the overpriced bullshit pile, more or less.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shaezerus posted:

I will tell you one thing, it's more reasonably-priced than some figures out there (not that this is any defense for buying it, oh no). Studio Halfeye Cybuster is still king supreme of the overpriced bullshit pile, more or less.

...Something tells me that if there's a model that goes for ¥57,000, there's gotta be one somewhere that goes for a nice, even ¥60,000.

But yeah, when it comes to overpriced bullshit, mecha outshines normal anime outshines FF, usually, so even a super-popular game like FF7 will still have cheaper merch than your average SRW game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Elentor posted:

Wow... just... wow. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with people wanting to collect things as a hobby. Hell, I collect transformers that meet the criteria of "I thought it looked cool/it's Shockwave". But this is... Why do you need 5 copies of a game? Why?

Also... did he boo Reno?

Edit: For someone who spent so much time on the collection, why does he seem to hate and loath it with a passion? Half the video was him talking about how "gay" or "stupid" the stuff is.

Edit the second: Also, lack of Ultimania books. I've heard that they actually make the more bat-poo poo insane parts of the Final Fantasy games make sense... or at least more sense.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 14, 2012

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Randalor posted:

Wow... just... wow. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with people wanting to collect things as a hobby. Hell, I collect transformers that meet the criteria of "I thought it looked cool/it's Shockwave". But this is... Why do you need 5 copies of a game? Why?

I've got got PC, PS and PSN version of FF7, but that was just out of series of convenience. I got it on PC when it was released, PS to play on the PS2 for easier use than PC, and PSN because one of my discs were borked.

That guy might be reasonably socially adjusted, although he seems like the kind of guy that if you did bring up FF7 he wouldn't shut up. I know a guy who used to harrass every one I knew about Star Trek, and even when they'd outright tell him they didn't give a poo poo, "oh, okay, but in this episode this happened..."

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Shaezerus posted:

The display stand for PC Cybuster costs more than that Cloud model.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Randalor posted:

Why do you need 5 copies of a game? Why?

Let's not even get started on why he only has ntsc versions with the colorful "American's are too loving dumb to buy something if it doesn't look cool, have tits/guns on it, or show everything about the game ala Heavy Rain / Angry Kirby / Amnesia" covers.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dastardly posted:

Let's not even get started on why he only has ntsc versions with the colorful "American's are too loving dumb to buy something if it doesn't look cool, have tits/guns on it, or show everything about the game ala Heavy Rain / Angry Kirby / Amnesia" covers.

Well the lesson to walk away from this with is, "looks can be deceiving." But with a haircut like his, not too deceiving. Besides, the first thing you see is that his room is so plastered with anime wallscrolls that they literally block out the sun.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Haha it's surreal to see a grown man act like that. Cool hair :butt:

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
I think I remember in 2000, there was some Coca-Cola Final Fantasy promotion with tiny figures of characters from Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9. Each character had two versions, one being the full painted figure, and the second was a red translucent figure. I think mine are hidden somewhere deep in my closet, but I think the 7 figures were SD compared to the others being more realistic.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Elentor, have you read the Ultimania Omega guide?

A translation is available here.
It is entirely full of spoilers for every FFVII game, but contains a lot of information not given to you in them.

Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!
I have a little chrome Sephiroth statue that was done in a super-deformed style that I bought years ago back when I was in love with the game. His sword broke off a long time ago and I never got around to gluing it back on.

But that was about $40. I would never buy a figure for $300. :psyduck:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Blastoise posted:

I have a little chrome Sephiroth statue that was done in a super-deformed style that I bought years ago back when I was in love with the game. His sword broke off a long time ago and I never got around to gluing it back on.

But that was about $40. I would never buy a figure for $300. :psyduck:

Really, any amount of money spent on statues of videogame characters is too much. You could have bought another game with that money.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dauntasa posted:

Really, any amount of money spent on statues of videogame characters is too much. You could have bought another game with that money.
Actually, $40 can get you about 200 games these days if you play your cards right.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

quakster posted:

Actually, $40 can get you about 200 games these days if you play your cards right.

Super Shady Mall Kiosk Mega Gamestation: over 199 games! Only $40

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The White Dragon posted:

Those things are fantastic, especially when they're authentic bootlegs instead of glorified emulators.

Sadly, I lack the means to make a Bootleg Game LP megathread. Means such as motivation. :effort:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FillInTheBlank posted:

Elentor, have you read the Ultimania Omega guide?

A translation is available here.
It is entirely full of spoilers for every FFVII game, but contains a lot of information not given to you in them.

Thanks for the link. No, never read it.

I'm also curious about the Versus book, mostly because here in Brazil we had a custom Versus book that was written by a different staff. It was an amusing read, and I'm curious to see how it compares with the original.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Elentor posted:

I'm also curious about the Versus book, mostly because here in Brazil we had a custom Versus book that was written by a different staff. It was an amusing read, and I'm curious to see how it compares with the original.

Yeah. The Versus Books guides I bought were always amusing reads. I was always curious to see them as well.

Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!

Dauntasa posted:

Eh, I was 14 and found it cute. I wouldn't spend the money now, but it was a long time ago. I was admonishing myself as much as the price of the figure.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Randalor posted:

Edit: For someone who spent so much time on the collection, why does he seem to hate and loath it with a passion? Half the video was him talking about how "gay" or "stupid" the stuff is.
Seems like bad faith to me. He loves it, as evidenced by the obscene amount of time and money he's thrown into that collection. But he's ashamed of it, and to that end tries to deceive people into thinking this is just a hobby, or maybe "not what he really enjoys".

Alternatively, the collection might belong to the cameraman.

What really got me was the "the only one out of the serious I've chosen to collect, for obvious reasons". Yes, the reasons are obvious - there is so much of this crap out there for FF7.

Which I completely boggle at. FF7 is a game about ecoterrorists against capitalist exploitation and individual abuse of natural resources. How in the holy hell do people psychologically invest themselves enough in this game to want to spend (not insubstantial amounts of) money on icons and trinkets, without engaging enough in it to recognise the patent absurdity in merchandise of anticapitalist activists?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Because of the characters. Most people completely bypass the game's message if the characters are engaging enough. They pay less attention to ecoterrorism and more "WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS WE'RE DOING THE RIGHT THING". Also Cloud's amazing capacity for being an rear end in a top hat.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is Square-Enix currently engaged in massive deforestation activities? This seems a bit like the "did you know that occupy wall street people are, like, using iphones and bank accounts? Heh :smug:" bits.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Randalor posted:

Self-deprecating humor is a common enough thing with those with low self-esteem. He's probably trying to blow off his dedication to his collection by turning it into a joke and by making it look like he knows he's pathetic but he's still cool besides that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kithrixx posted:

Because of the characters. Most people completely bypass the game's message if the characters are engaging enough. They pay less attention to ecoterrorism and more "WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS WE'RE DOING THE RIGHT THING". Also Cloud's amazing capacity for being an rear end in a top hat.

And Sephiroth's luscious anime hair.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

This LP made me play through the game again and having fun trying to break it(I'm the guy who, pages ago, was :psyduck: about stuff like counter stacking and mime-countering limit).

I have such different experiences now in just about all area's of the game, poo poo's hilarious. Getting Omni at the earliest was a blast(gaining the gp wasn't, the merchant never showed for me. Super dunk!). Counter attack+added effect+time materia is grand.

I think I just, by a sliver, passed Elentor. I can't wait to see how he humbles me in game breakage. :)

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?
I was walking down Beale Street last year in Memphis, TN, and in the window of some weird little collector's store was a replica of the Buster Sword. Of all the things to find on Beale St., I find a FFVII weapon. It was only $175 too. If I wasn't poor and looking for a job back then, I might've thought about getting it. The store is gone now and who knows where the sword is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dear FF7:

Stop having so many things that are so worth stealing.

Best regards,
Orange Fluffy Sheep

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

Elentor posted:

I have a Versus guide. It's in bad condition (well-loved I say) but I don't think I could bring myself to sell it if it was pristine. The only thing is it's not at my apartment, my sister has it right now so it may be some time before I remember to ask her for it, she finds it and remembers to pass it back to me. When I do get it I can scan/transcribe stuff from it if nobody else has one to do this with in the meantime.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

Then you find out it is a handful of games with hundreds of save states of single stages separated by difficulty. You then wonder why you can't get the cops to arrest them for something like fraud.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dear FF7:

But, but a huge problem of many RPGs is having worthless steal items! Why would you discourage good steal items? Cruel. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dear FF7:

Best regards,
Orange Fluffy Sheep

People complain a lot about the Steal in FF7, but the game does have a shitload of good items to steal. It's just less obvious than FF9 (Boss Battles).

• Locked thread