Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I went to the Decibel Mag tour show in Chicago last night, it was really good. Wolvhammer opened, they were better than I expected from a random local opener, but they didn't really stand out too much. Just good, but not great, blackened sludge.

Next was In Solitude. Is that a ferret or a weasel Hornper wears or what? That question asked, they were pretty awesome. I'm not a huge fan of their albums, but they were way better live. They had great stage presence and were super energetic. At one point during an instrumental section Hornper walked up to a bunch of kids who were just kinda grouchily standing next to the stage in Behemoth shirts and started fluffing their hair, blowing them kisses and making jackoff motions at their faces, it was loving hysterical. They did a nice cover of Samhain's Mother of Mercy along with a bunch of stuff off their latest album.

The Devil's Blood was the highlight of the show in my opinion, but the audience reaction was really mixed. Those of us who dug it really dug it, but the people who didn't were super pissy about it. I understand that they're nothing like the headlining band, but gently caress people, just stand in the back and chit chat or something if you don't like it. They've been on the bill for the tour since day one, so don't bitch if you chose to show up early to see them. They did some solid old school hard rock/metal and spent a lot of time just jamming out, which is always a ton of fun.

Finally, Behemoth came on. Or I should say finally Behemoth's guitar tech came on, and then like a half hour later Behemoth came on. They/their crew was obviously not prepared, and spent a shitload of time fiddling with stuff like getting the receivers on the right channels and stuff like that. The crowd was starting to get cranky, but once Inferno came out(led by a dude with a flashlight since the lights were dim) and sat at his drum set, everything was forgiven. This was my first time in the pit, and I was the third person back, front and center, smack dab in front of Nergal's mic stand. It was intense as poo poo. It kinda caught me by surprise at first, but once I got my sea legs, I had a ton of fun. I'm not a big death fan, but they put on a good show, especially considering Nergal's fight with Leukemia last year.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It would've been better if Watain had made it(they got caught up at customs with VISA issues), and if I had known every band was gonna get at least a full hour I would've grabbed some water before hand, but besides that and Behemoth's techs sucking it went well. Definitely worth the ~$30 if the tour is gonna hit up your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I went to the Decibel Mag tour show in Chicago last night, it was really good. Wolvhammer opened, they were better than I expected from a random local opener, but they didn't really stand out too much. Just good, but not great, blackened sludge.

Next was In Solitude. Is that a ferret or a weasel Hornper wears or what? That question asked, they were pretty awesome. I'm not a huge fan of their albums, but they were way better live. They had great stage presence and were super energetic. At one point during an instrumental section Hornper walked up to a bunch of kids who were just kinda grouchily standing next to the stage in Behemoth shirts and started fluffing their hair, blowing them kisses and making jackoff motions at their faces, it was loving hysterical. They did a nice cover of Samhain's Mother of Mercy along with a bunch of stuff off their latest album.

The Devil's Blood was the highlight of the show in my opinion, but the audience reaction was really mixed. Those of us who dug it really dug it, but the people who didn't were super pissy about it. I understand that they're nothing like the headlining band, but gently caress people, just stand in the back and chit chat or something if you don't like it. They've been on the bill for the tour since day one, so don't bitch if you chose to show up early to see them. They did some solid old school hard rock/metal and spent a lot of time just jamming out, which is always a ton of fun.

Finally, Behemoth came on. Or I should say finally Behemoth's guitar tech came on, and then like a half hour later Behemoth came on. They/their crew was obviously not prepared, and spent a shitload of time fiddling with stuff like getting the receivers on the right channels and stuff like that. The crowd was starting to get cranky, but once Inferno came out(led by a dude with a flashlight since the lights were dim) and sat at his drum set, everything was forgiven. This was my first time in the pit, and I was the third person back, front and center, smack dab in front of Nergal's mic stand. It was intense as poo poo. It kinda caught me by surprise at first, but once I got my sea legs, I had a ton of fun. I'm not a big death fan, but they put on a good show, especially considering Nergal's fight with Leukemia last year.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It would've been better if Watain had made it(they got caught up at customs with VISA issues), and if I had known every band was gonna get at least a full hour I would've grabbed some water before hand, but besides that and Behemoth's techs sucking it went well. Definitely worth the ~$30 if the tour is gonna hit up your area.

I was at the Minneapolis show tonight and I liked how all the bands played extended sets to make up for Watain.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Nam Taf posted:

You know what it's about, right?

Is there anything more to it than the hilariously cheesey, but somehow fantastically appropriate lyrics?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
These past two weeks I've been getting into some awesome bands that are new to me, but I've noticed an interesting trend:

1: Bolt-Thrower, death metal but different because of the increased focus on more riffs and a 'groovier' feel to it than most death metal
2: Entombed. Death metal but the label 'death & roll" fits due to the different elements of hard rock they incorporate from the 70s and 80s.
3: Nachtmystium. Started out as straight ahead black metal with impressive execution, but evolved into a band that incorporates different genres and sound styles. Multiple reviews have commented that this is what would happen if Pink Floyd played black metal. High praise, but accurate. The overall feel of Addicts: Black Meddle 2 is Wall-era Pink Floyd. While the core of the album is undeniably black metal, you can pick up everything from GNR style hard rock, dance, prog and even 80s style Cure/Depeche Mode.

So what I've learned is that I really like black metal that doesn't always sound like every black metal band out there. I also like the difference in lyrical styles each band has. Bolt Thrower does war, but they do it so loving well they apparently realized they do it as good as they will ever do it and stopped. I'm mad as poo poo I just got into them and their last record came out in 2005, but I can see where they are coming from. Those Once Loyal is a drat good end to an impressive career, and while I would love the idea of another album, I doubt it would surpass loyal and I'd rather them end on a high note. Entombed sings about everything, and you can tell they didn't take themselves too seriously. Wolverine Blues pretty much proves this. Nachtmystium evolves lyrically on each album, and while I would hesitate to call Addicts a concept album, all the songs are thematically linked and they resonate with me. It's just so refreshing to hear different takes on some of the death metal cliches.

With that in mind, what else should I look into? I appreciate the anti organized religious themes of most black metal as much as the next guy, but I'm more interested in hearing a band that isn't afraid to take a risk. I would rather hear an album that takes risks and makes some big mistakes than a flawlessly executed album that is basically a thematic rehash of material covered by other bands. I already have a shitload of albums like that.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

rxcowboy posted:

These past two weeks I've been getting into some awesome bands that are new to me, but I've noticed an interesting trend:

1: Bolt-Thrower, death metal but different because of the increased focus on more riffs and a 'groovier' feel to it than most death metal
2: Entombed. Death metal but the label 'death & roll" fits due to the different elements of hard rock they incorporate from the 70s and 80s.
3: Nachtmystium. Started out as straight ahead black metal with impressive execution, but evolved into a band that incorporates different genres and sound styles. Multiple reviews have commented that this is what would happen if Pink Floyd played black metal. High praise, but accurate. The overall feel of Addicts: Black Meddle 2 is Wall-era Pink Floyd. While the core of the album is undeniably black metal, you can pick up everything from GNR style hard rock, dance, prog and even 80s style Cure/Depeche Mode.

So what I've learned is that I really like black metal that doesn't always sound like every black metal band out there. I also like the difference in lyrical styles each band has. Bolt Thrower does war, but they do it so loving well they apparently realized they do it as good as they will ever do it and stopped. I'm mad as poo poo I just got into them and their last record came out in 2005, but I can see where they are coming from. Those Once Loyal is a drat good end to an impressive career, and while I would love the idea of another album, I doubt it would surpass loyal and I'd rather them end on a high note. Entombed sings about everything, and you can tell they didn't take themselves too seriously. Wolverine Blues pretty much proves this. Nachtmystium evolves lyrically on each album, and while I would hesitate to call Addicts a concept album, all the songs are thematically linked and they resonate with me. It's just so refreshing to hear different takes on some of the death metal cliches.

With that in mind, what else should I look into? I appreciate the anti organized religious themes of most black metal as much as the next guy, but I'm more interested in hearing a band that isn't afraid to take a risk. I would rather hear an album that takes risks and makes some big mistakes than a flawlessly executed album that is basically a thematic rehash of material covered by other bands. I already have a shitload of albums like that.

Oranssi Pazuzu is a psychedelic black metal band from Finland that I know you will enjoy. Their first album is my favorite.

I absolutely love Absu so I'm going to throw a recommendation in here for them. Tara and their latest Abzu are my two favorite. Abzu has some pretty great occult lyrics if you're into that sort of thing.

And finally I'll recommend Beyond Creation, some perfectly executed technical death metal from Quebec. If you dig that kind of progressive/technical sort of DM then I can't imagine you won't love this.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Go listen to Zaratustra, Vediog Svaor, Master's Hammer, Ophthalamia, Arcturus, Furze, Ved Buens Ende, Fleurety (and another to show non-demo material, I just linked that first one so everyone can see why Nordgarden literally cannot sing anymore), Thorns, Negura Bunget, Lugubrum, The Ruins of Beverast, Blut Aus Nord, Nazxul, Spektr.

There should be a few BM acts in there you can go for. Dodheimsgard, Aborym and others are also probably worth a look.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

As far as black metal with other influences, I've been digging the gently caress out of Glorior Belli.

They released an album last year with some really great blues/southern rock-tinged black metal.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Oh and listen to Devil Doll. Like everything.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Clit Avoider posted:

Arcturus

I had only listened to The Sham Mirrors (which owns) up till this point. It was a mistake to not check out their other stuff, this is awesome.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Drifter287 posted:

As far as black metal with other influences, I've been digging the gently caress out of Glorior Belli.

They released an album last year with some really great blues/southern rock-tinged black metal.

There is nothing of Black Metal in this silly band. Raspy vocals and production do not Black Metal make.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

RHTITE posted:

There is nothing of Black Metal in this silly band. Raspy vocals and production do not Black Metal make.

I hadn't heard of Glorior Belli until that link, but I'd be interested in you explaining how the section of the song that starts at 2:45 doesn't sound black metal influenced at all. :crossarms:

Aaanyway, I enjoy stoner/doom and black metal and it's cool to see them together. Cheers Drifter287, I'll be checking these dudes out. :)

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
I'm one of those dorks that isn't as concerned with the aesthetics of the music as much as the spirit and composition of the music as I understand it. You can blast beat, rasp, and surf strum your guitar all day and it won't be Black Metal if it ain't Black Metal, know what I mean? It's the same reason that whenever I hear "Blackened-Thrash" nowadays I go 0-100 instantly. It's just Thrash Metal with a different icing on top man argh.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

RHTITE posted:

I'm one of those dorks that isn't as concerned with the aesthetics of the music as much as the spirit and composition of the music as I understand it. You can blast beat, rasp, and surf strum your guitar all day and it won't be Black Metal if it ain't Black Metal, know what I mean? It's the same reason that whenever I hear "Blackened-Thrash" nowadays I go 0-100 instantly. It's just Thrash Metal with a different icing on top man argh.

No, I don't really get what you mean. You only consider it black metal if it's sounds just like De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and/or is about Satan, occult forces, forests and snow?

Would you also argue that 'there is nothing of black metal' in the more recent Darkthrone releases, because it's not pure unholy black metal? Kvelertak? Barathrum? Primordial?

Is black metal your favourite genre and so perhaps you place it on a pedestal, not wanting to to see it corrupted with lesser influences?

Just in case it comes off like it - I'm genuinely not attacking you at all, I just don't get this mentality and want to understand. We're all brothers and sisters in :black101: here.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Darkthrone is black metal no matter what they do.

edit: Except for their first album, obviously.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Rion.exe posted:

No, I don't really get what you mean. You only consider it black metal if it's sounds just like De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and/or is about Satan, occult forces, forests and snow?

Would you also argue that 'there is nothing of black metal' in the more recent Darkthrone releases, because it's not pure unholy black metal? Kvelertak? Barathrum? Primordial?

Is black metal your favourite genre and so perhaps you place it on a pedestal, not wanting to to see it corrupted with lesser influences?

Just in case it comes off like it - I'm genuinely not attacking you at all, I just don't get this mentality and want to understand. We're all brothers and sisters in :black101: here.

I think he was saying the exact opposite.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I'd never listened to Darkthrone before. Just fixed that, they are awesome! The whole death&roll style of their newer material kind of reminds me of Entombed, and the straight up death metal of their early work is great too. I'm a new fan.

Working my way through all the bands listed. Digging Thorns,Glorior Belli Oranssi Pazuzu so far.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Bagsack posted:

Is there anything more to it than the hilariously cheesey, but somehow fantastically appropriate lyrics?

It's inspired by this guy's story, told from the 'victim's' point of view. So yeh, saying that about your daughter is kind of creepy.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Rion.exe posted:

Satan, occult forces, forests, snow, and unholiness are irrelevant to this discussion other than being kind of buzzwordy things that are tangentially related to the music. I'm talking about the composition of the music itself, not the distortion on the guitar. For example, that Kvelertak song you linked is basically verse chorus verse alt rock with Black Metal (and latter day Swedish Death Metal) inspired aesthetics. It sounds like Black Metal, but isn't Black Metal in composition or spirit.

As for whether it's my favourite genre, it is, along with Death Metal, and I do wish it wasn't corrupted with lesser influences. I am an elitist prick when it comes to singing the praises of the best of the genre. It's just my reaction to being protective of something that I feel is very meaningful that can improve people's lives.

Fenriz gets a pass because he never became a sellout, even if he makes dumb Punk Rock now. Also, Transylvanian Hunger.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Clit Avoider posted:

The Ruins of Beverast
Thanks for this, I've been looking for something in the vein of Aeternus's Beyond the Wandering Moon for about 8 years

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I don't get how anyone could read the lyrics of "Eaten" with or without knowing the back story and go "yep that's something I want to associate with my daughter in any fashion"

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Misogynist posted:

Thanks for this, I've been looking for something in the vein of Aeternus's Beyond the Wandering Moon for about 8 years

Haha, funny you should say that, I had a discussion with Nemtheanga about the Ruins of Beverast album last year and we came to the conclusion it sounds pretty much like the bridge between Beyond the Wandering Moon and ...And So the Night Became.

Btw, for the other guy, Primordial have had very little to do with black metal for more than 15 years. They don't classify themselves as black metal either.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

m-o-o-n posted:

Hey here's a small sampler of what my band (Cult of Endtime) has been up to:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6281533/sigillum-treeni.mp3

Most of the new songs are grimy doom/death monstrosities much like this one.

drat, I really like this (and the Nuclear Witch EP)! Are you the new singer from Bloodbath now that Mikeal's left? Because you're an absolute shoo-in!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

rxcowboy posted:

I'd never listened to Darkthrone before. Just fixed that, they are awesome! The whole death&roll style of their newer material kind of reminds me of Entombed, and the straight up death metal of their early work is great too. I'm a new fan.

Working my way through all the bands listed. Digging Thorns,Glorior Belli Oranssi Pazuzu so far.

It's been at least… a few months since I last recommended Moonsorrow, so, er, Moonsorrow. The albums V: Hävitetty and Verisäkeet mix up black metal with folk, "heathen" (however you want to define that), and prog. Two of my favourite ever albums.

Still considering that Moonsorrow tattoo. Tell me it's a bad idea, people.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

It's been at least… a few months since I last recommended Moonsorrow, so, er, Moonsorrow. The albums V: Hävitetty and Verisäkeet mix up black metal with folk, "heathen" (however you want to define that), and prog. Two of my favourite ever albums.

Tattoos in general aren't a great idea (I have two and don't particularly like them), ones with pop culture references are downright idiotic.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

m-o-o-n posted:

Tattoos in general aren't a great idea (I have two and don't particularly like them), ones with pop culture references are downright idiotic.

Moonsorrow is pop culture?

(Regardless, I agree.)

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Moonsorrow is pop culture?

It's popular music which is a subset of popular culture. I hope you aren't suggesting it's high culture just because they superficially don't resemble a pop band.

edit: i realize that this is a fruitless and played out discussion, though, so I'll just say I enjoy Moonsorrow and other "low art" or whatever when it's done well, but also feel they're unremarkable in the grand scheme of things and getting a tattoo seems kinda silly. "Man I sure liked that thing when I was younger"

funeral fag fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 16, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I don't personally fall into this category, but I can understand how some people would think "Man I sure liked that thing when I was younger" is a valid reason to get a tattoo. It's a reminder of who you were at that time in your life. If I got a tattoo I'd like it to be something more permanent or commemorating something more important, but I can see the other side of it.

Either way, Moonsorrow rules.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I've got a motorhead tattoo, but motorhead is an institution. In 10 years, moonsorrow's gone, you never know what the members will get themselves into. "Yeah I got this tattoo before the bassist went to jail for pedophilia, and before their last singer took up smack and got a sex change". Or they just put out 6 poo poo albums in a row and you end up hating them.

A tattoo IS just for you, but you're here asking for an opinion so I'll wager your enjoyment will somewhat hinge on what other people think, so no.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 16, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

I've got a motorhead tattoo, but motorhead is an institution. In 10 years, moonsorrow's gone, you never know what the members will get themselves into. "Yeah I got this tattoo before the bassist went to jail for pedophilia, and before their last singer took up smack and got a sex change". Or they just put out 6 poo poo albums in a row and you end up hating them.

I really wouldn't give a poo poo if Ville got "a sex change" - why would that be a bad thing? Seriously? You'd put it on the same level as a paedophilia conviction?

But: thread consensus noted - a Moonsorrow tattoo is a bad idea. Which I knew, anyway, but needed the reinforcement, so - thanks. :)

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

No, you put it on par with pedophilia. I said it was something that could come up when someone sees you with it, because you seem to care what people think of the idea.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Clit Avoider posted:

Btw, for the other guy, Primordial have had very little to do with black metal for more than 15 years. They don't classify themselves as black metal either.

I loving love Primordial but what on earth do they classify themselves as?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Morbid Florist posted:

Yeah I got this tattoo before the bassist went to jail for pedophilia
What do you honestly think is the age of the youngest girl Lemmy has slept with

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

No, you put it on par with pedophilia. I said it was something that could come up when someone sees you with it, because you seem to care what people think of the idea.

You mentioned a "sex change" as an off-the-top-of-your-head "bad thing", alongside paedophilia (and drug addiction). Your implication is clearly that I'd regret inking myself with the band logo if and when the lead singer got a "sex change". I really wouldn't give a poo poo, as it happens.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Go get the loving tattoo, it's a fantastic idea, they're a great band. Happy? :rolleyes:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I always assumed the rule that applied to not having your girlfriend in your music videos applied to band tattoos also: that it's trite and always a bad idea in hindsight. Off the top of your head, EvilMoJoJoJo (boy I bet you regret that decision), name five bands with members who have their band's name tattooed on themselves.

edit@below: Baron Von Ghoulosh sums it up, thank you.

vanov fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 16, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

vanov posted:

I always assumed the rule that applied to not having your girlfriend in your music videos applied to band tattoos also: that it's trite and always a bad idea in hindsight. Off the top of your head, EvilMoJoJoJo (boy I bet you regret that decision), name five bands with members who have their band's name tattooed on themselves.

Hoest has a Taake tattoo IIRC, singer from Kampfar has a giant band logo across his stomach, er, pass.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

The guys in Type-O all have their "O-Negative" emblem somewhere, I think it's a cool tattoo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doesn't Mike Portnoy have a bunch of Dream Theater tattoos? :laugh:

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I saw some terrible and boring melodeath band whose lead singer had an Opeth shoulder tattoo. Way to wear your influences on your sleeve, I guess...

IRQ: If he does, that's pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

The guys in Type-O all have their "O-Negative" emblem somewhere, I think it's a cool tattoo.

Actually, before they were called Type O Negative the guys got "Subzero" tattoos until they realized there was already a band called Subzero. So they have had to change their band name to Type O Negative to fit their matching tattoos.

Don't get a band tattoo. It never ends well.