Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

It's in the OP too but really any TAS (just look around that TASVideos site) is good if you want to see games get horribly broken. Yeah, they're not entirely 'legit' runs but they require a skill of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Liku posted:

Except in Retro's case they fixed Prime 1 several times over in various rereleases for the sole purpose of stopping sequence breaking. :(

Retro were kinda jerks about it too, as I recall.

Then they made Prime 2 and didn't they say something smug about how it couldn't be broken like 1 was? But it was, it just took more effort. But the tricks were rather more difficult to do. I remember playing Prime 1 a lot, which is something I usually don't do that often, but because most of the sequence breaks were fairly simple, it suddenly added new challenges and things to the game. Like how badly could my mediocre skills get me doing sequence break stuff. Prime 2... not so much. And it wasn't run near as much as Prime 1.

And then there was Corruption. It wasn't much fun, it didn't seem to have the kinds of tricks the others did, no one ran the drat thing... we have a really nice run up of it, but there's like zero interesting in running that one.

I'm still waiting for a speed run/RTA/TAS of the Etrian Odyssey games. :colbert:

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

My absolute favorite run in this vein is the TAS of NES Mega Man. The sounds the game makes almost sounds like it's begging for the release of death. :gonk:

The progression from a relatively normal looking run to pure madness is the best thing about this TAS.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't brag about how unbreakable your game is unless your goal is to get people to break it.
Also, honestly, why spend the time to fix bugs that don't affect the game for anyone playing normally but make the game more interesting for speedrunners?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Worst Muslim posted:

I'm looking for speedruns where they absolutely break the poo poo out of the game. Stuff like the Super Mario Brothers Game Boy speed-run I watched a while back where the guy literally fell into the games code.

Is there a link to this run?

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Liku posted:

Is there a link to this run?

Yep: http://tasvideos.org/1886M.html

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The latest Super Mario 64 TAS, just published yesterday, finishes in 5:02.25, and doesn't collect a single star. This is accomplished through the use of a movement glitch called backwards long jump (BLJ).

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

Retro were kinda jerks about it too, as I recall.

I really don't understand why they were so upset. If it weren't for seeing Radix's 1:37, I probably wouldn't have played that game NEARLY as much as I ended up doing. The sequence breaks you could do in MP1 made it really enjoyable, and added a ton of replayability. The same can be said of the ones from Super Metroid. The fact that SM and MP1 are some of the better games in the series isn't really a coincidence, either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Umberger posted:

It's a TAS, but this "speedrun" is hilarious.

Holy poo poo, that was incredible.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Left Ventricle posted:

The latest Super Mario 64 TAS, just published yesterday, finishes in 5:02.25, and doesn't collect a single star. This is accomplished through the use of a movement glitch called backwards long jump (BLJ).

Man, did they really take that long to "publish" this run? It's almost a month old. Either way, a 47 frame improvement on a game as contested as SM64 is nuts.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Yep: http://tasvideos.org/1886M.html

I think I've seen this one, but god drat what the hell happened.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Liku posted:

The short answer is that levels are loaded by "blocks" of code, such that one byte might equal a coin block, and another byte might be a bit of grass on the ground. Each tile is decided by the bytes at that position in the code.

Mario escapes the bounds of the level, forcing the game to load tiles from code that wasn't ever meant to be used in levels (or in that specific level, at least). It tries to load it anyway, filling the area with bogus sprites.

So what we're seeing here is Mario literally hacking into the game's code, where he proceeds to find the game end trigger and activate it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's like the nutty episode of Reboot.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
You can always watch this Pokemon Yellow TAS that takes about a minute if you want to be really confused.

Bonus challenge, try to understand the author's comments.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For glitch runs, I'm also fond of Link's Awakening in 3'49" and Link's Awakening DX in 5'38".

Liku posted:

The fun part about old cartridge-based games is that, in effect, everything - all of the program code, the level maps, the graphics, cutscene text, variables recording things like how many lives the player has and whether they've beaten the game - is stored in one big "file", all packed together.

The other fun part is that, with so little computing power (and storage space) to spare, few games from this era incorporate any sort of safety checks.

So, if you can - say - confuse the game sufficiently that it thinks you're on level -20 rather than level 2, rather than displaying an error message or gracefully crashing, it will simply look at whatever is stored in the cartridge before the first level and try to load that as if it were a level map. So now you're running through a "level" that actually represents the graphics for Mario, or part of the soundtrack.

Or, if you can make your way back to "level" -29 or so, the variable that indicates whether you've beaten the game or not.

The TAS does just this - convinces the game that they're on a negative level, then hikes through it to level -29 or so. Then it's just a matter of finding the have-you-won variable (which actually keeps track of how many worlds are left to beat, so it starts at 6 and counts down). When loaded as part of a level, it shows up as a crushable block. Crush it and it changes from 6 to 0 - oh hey, that means there are no worlds left to beat! He must have beaten the game! Roll credits.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
What does it mean on some of these TAS videos when it says that the final video took 60,000+ re-records attempts?

Due to save states it's not like they have to start over at the beginning when something doesn't go right like regular speedrunners do, so it must be something else.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Re-records are how many times the TASer loaded a save state during the recording of the movie. It's fairly meaningless nowadays with all the hex editing and botting going on.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The highlights and blooper reel videos for AGDQ 2012 are now available for download: http://archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2012

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Funkdoc streamin more CV3! Solo Trevor this time.

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Dear Mario,

Why won't you just open the goddamn door :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2r3EZAE6A

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Cosmo beat the OoT any% WR a few hours ago. New record is 22:32.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The highlights and blooper reel videos for AGDQ 2012 are now available for download: http://archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2012

Thank you! Just the thing to help me through my hospital stay.

Edit: Oh God, 3.3 gigs? If this doesn't get the sysadmin to pay me a visit then nothing will.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 17, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If I want to drop some hot tips or make a big embarrassing writeup about skips should I do something for The Speedrun Wiki, the SDA Knowledge Base, or format it in a way that works for both?

I can't find the link to create an account at the former and I requested one for the other.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 17, 2012

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

Let's not leave this to die, eh? Had a real quick look in my shelves and on GOG, and added in a couple more games for kicks. If we want this thing to gain momentum, we should probably agree upon something soon, don't you think?

Feynstein
Feb 13, 2012
Half-Life Opposing Force 19:23 TAS with commentary
In my opinion watching speedruns with commentary is exceptionally fun since you'd otherwise probably have no clue how complex the run actually is.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Feynstein posted:

Half-Life Opposing Force 19:23 TAS with commentary
In my opinion watching speedruns with commentary is exceptionally fun since you'd otherwise probably have no clue how complex the run actually is.
Thanks for linking that, its really interesting (although i don't see how that's a TAS and there are still more than a few people who care about the distinction).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Because he uses a lot of frame perfect tricks, scripts and luck manipulation I suppose. Still a great run and really interesting to watch a listen. My favorites run from AGDQ had really great commentary, OoT/RE4/HL which let people know how the game and the tricks worked and why they were making use of them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Thanks for linking that, its really interesting (although i don't see how that's a TAS and there are still more than a few people who care about the distinction).

I don't know, he pulls enough weird poo poo with save/reload abuse and macros that I'd say it crosses the line from "segmented" to "tool-assisted".

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, fair enough. He talked about '4 seconds' being a 'short' segment and tricks he was unable to pull off (TAS usually means frame advance/bot playing and rewind to me) which confused me at first. The framerate dependent segments, quicksave/load tricks and frame perfectly written scripts put it in a fascinating gray area - i wish this kind of crazy stuff was possible with other games.

My memory is a bit hazy, but i remember there being some intense debate about this topic back when spiderwaffles script run was submitted (and accepted) to SDA. I think they even added specific rules against these kind of runs as a consequence (although, much like the rules against 'going out of bounds' i have no idea how enforced they actually are).

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2012

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I seem to recall a group working on a modified version of half life with frame advance that could produce demos to be played back on the original version.

They also planned to store replays as input movie scripts rather than as demos so that it could be submitted to tasvideos. (HL demos are more of a sequence of game states than inputs, so you can make a demo that does pretty much does whatever you want)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So funny hearing spiderwaffles name. I remember playing A/D with him in TFC(3v!) like nearly a decade ago.

Good memories :3:

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006
Wasn't he in that really good concing clan ^vi as well? I haven't played tfc in so long I forgot like 99% of the names. (also who were you in 3v I played adl for like two years.)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

SpectacuLars posted:

Let's not leave this to die, eh? Had a real quick look in my shelves and on GOG, and added in a couple more games for kicks. If we want this thing to gain momentum, we should probably agree upon something soon, don't you think?

Haven't forgotten about it, but a family emergency is preventing me from doing anything in the near future. If anyone wants to take this idea and run with it be my guest.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
That Opposing Force speedrun was great and the commentary was a seriously good addition. His willingness to show things in slow motion or from the editor's perspective was also revelatory. I wish more TAS videos had commentaries or breakdowns like that.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, fair enough. He talked about '4 seconds' being a 'short' segment and tricks he was unable to pull off (TAS usually means frame advance/bot playing and rewind to me) which confused me at first. The framerate dependent segments, quicksave/load tricks and frame perfectly written scripts put it in a fascinating gray area - i wish this kind of crazy stuff was possible with other games.

My memory is a bit hazy, but i remember there being some intense debate about this topic back when spiderwaffles script run was submitted (and accepted) to SDA. I think they even added specific rules against these kind of runs as a consequence (although, much like the rules against 'going out of bounds' i have no idea how enforced they actually are).

Yeah, Half Life scripting is such a bizarre middle ground. From a purity standpoint, it probably would have been better to put them in the TAS category but that so much of the game is physically done in real time while the script handles the bunnyhops it doesn't seem quite right to call it a TAS. I think Half Life occupies its own side category of "script supported speedrun" anyway so nothing he does there really breaks the mold I think.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Crotch Bat posted:

So funny hearing spiderwaffles name. I remember playing A/D with him in TFC(3v!) like nearly a decade ago.

Good memories :3:

Holy poo poo talk about a blast from the past, I was in 3v too for a bit after H2K broke up and was an admin in the STA A/D league before real life took over and I disappeared. TFC was so much god drat fun, I still miss it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

If I want to drop some hot tips or make a big embarrassing writeup about skips should I do something for The Speedrun Wiki, the SDA Knowledge Base, or format it in a way that works for both?

The answer to my own question is the SDA Knowledge Base, because it's the one that lets me sign me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Funkdoc doing his thing again: http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Funkdoc doing his thing again: http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

He's back at it right now.

Also gonna rep a fellow Iowan speedrunner working on his Rollergames run: http://www.twitch.tv/murphagator

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

E: Never mind, stream went down for the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Funkdoc decided to do some early morning streams and I decided to tune in and got to see him break the CV3 Trevor-only WR with a new 29:36.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 19, 2012

• Locked thread