Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012
Hmm. So what'd be a good alternative to a Mac Pro, if we're never gonna see another? Building a Hackintosh seems like more than I want to do, but I'd like to have a robust machine for my own development work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand it to be honest. The margins are smaller, sure, but it's not as though you need to put in nearly the same R&D to keep the Mac Pro current. TB is just not mature enough to support professional users yet, though I'm sure it will be eventually.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MrBond posted:

More like Intel doesn't care about keeping xeons bleeding edge, or isn't able to.

More like they'd like to take care of some extra validation/etc. They share their uArch with their desktop counterparts, but it takes longer for "server" platforms. The upcoming Romley is an absolute mess of possible configurations that all need to be validated.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

MaverickEX posted:

Hmm. So what'd be a good alternative to a Mac Pro, if we're never gonna see another? Building a Hackintosh seems like more than I want to do, but I'd like to have a robust machine for my own development work.

If Apple drops the Pro, it looks like the options might be fairly bare:

1) Just get an iMac. If the workload demands and allows, use a render farm for heavy lifting. Definitely doesn't work for everyone.

2) Hackintosh, but compatibility might be spotty or even lovely if there's no official Patsburg/SNB-E support. Obviously subpar.

3) Transition to Windows or Linux workstations from Dell, Lenovo, some other vendor, or even whitebox workstations. Obviously kinda sucks if you've got a platform investment in OSX of any kind.

But I think the writing has been on the wall for a while that Apple has been focusing on consumer hardware/software/services and finding a lot of money in it. The Apple ecosystem really works best as a consumer money siphon. A workstation doesn't print cash the way an iOS device does. Even if the workstations are profitable, it may just be more profitable to focus on other things.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I wonder if they will keep the Mac Pro as it is until Thunderbolt either sinks or swims.
Then either revive or kill it based on that.

It's a shame Psystar lost. We could have had a budding xMac cottage industry.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Factory Factory posted:

But I think the writing has been on the wall for a while that Apple has been focusing on consumer hardware/software/services and finding a lot of money in it. The Apple ecosystem really works best as a consumer money siphon. A workstation doesn't print cash the way an iOS device does. Even if the workstations are profitable, it may just be more profitable to focus on other things.

This is exactly it. We are a prominent film school that went all FCP about 5 years ago after being FCP and Avid. For the past 3 years, I could see the writing on the wall about FCP, and when FCP X came out, I wasn't surprised in the least. Apple has been systematically killing enterprise and professional apps and hardware over the past few years.

1) Axed the XServes with no viable alternative. I have been bitching to them directly about the lack of enterprise virtualization support (VmWare ESXi/vSphere) for a while now, and its fallen on deaf ears

2) Starting with Lion, OS X Server is now a loving App from the Store, and they've taken away features with every release since SL, with ML being the most egregious.

3) Obviously FCP X being iMovie Pro or Wedding Video Pro however you look at it. They also axed any kind of optical media creation (Apple FCP Evangelist I spoke to "Discs are dead").

4) Logic hasn't had a major update in 3 years, but Garage Band keeps growing

5) Mac Pro is on it's death bed with no real power users / professional alternative. A single socket consumer board with mobile graphics won't cut it for workstation class users.

6) Aperture went from a professionally oriented and priced application ($299 I think) to $80 on the app store with no major updates for a couple of years.

Apple's answers to everything are 'cloud' right now. When I asked about After Effects, he said 'Everyone outsources that now." Right. We are most likely moving to CS6 or Avid next fall,and I've been lobbying to start replacing our Mac Pros with PC workstations because our needs certainly can't be met with an iMac and TB.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

mayodreams posted:

5) Mac Pro is on it's death bed with no real power users / professional alternative. A single socket consumer board with mobile graphics won't cut it for workstation class users.

What about high end iMacs? They might not match what a super duper new Mac Pro would do, but I'm pretty sure the 8-core ones etc would be competitive, and I don't think the high end ones are still mobile chipsets.

As someone who owns a (few years old, but was upper-mid range model at the time) Mac Pro, they've never aggressively had the TOP END video cards really. I even upgraded to one of the later ones -w hich was lagging behind Windows equivalents (price:performance).

I'm not a video professional though!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mayodreams posted:

6) Aperture went from a professionally oriented and priced application ($299 I think) to $80 on the app store with no major updates for a couple of years..

This actually caused Adobe to drop the price of Lightroom to something far more reasonable. I don't think we can judge the intended audience based on price for this one.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Fayk posted:

What about high end iMacs? They might not match what a super duper new Mac Pro would do, but I'm pretty sure the 8-core ones etc would be competitive, and I don't think the high end ones are still mobile chipsets.

As someone who owns a (few years old, but was upper-mid range model at the time) Mac Pro, they've never aggressively had the TOP END video cards really. I even upgraded to one of the later ones -w hich was lagging behind Windows equivalents (price:performance).

The high end iMacs aren't 8-core, they're 4-core with hyperthreading. Mac Pros are 12-core with hyperthreading, a full 24 logical processors. A top-end SNB-E update would be 16-core with hyperthreading, 32 logical processors. That's four times the CPU of an iMac. Hell of a difference.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The Mac Pro won't be killed off until it gets a Thunderbolt update.

At that point, you at least have the option of external GPUs, storage chains etc.

They're not long for this earth, but Apple will still be making them for some time yet.

Apple hasn't 'abandoned' the Mac Pro at all. They've always followed Intel's Xeon chipset path, and they just haven't had an update with suitable processors in a long time.

Marco Arment has a useful piece on this;

http://www.marco.org/2012/03/29/xeon-e5-benchmark

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Fayk posted:

For reference, our high end suites use:

1)Best GPU available
2)Video card by way of AJA, Black Magic, or RED. The RED Rocket (loving retarded name) requires 8x PCI-E, which is the most available bandwidth on current gen ThunderBolt
3)Raid card that requires at least a 4x PCI-E slot or Fibre Channel Card

And as Factory Factory said, you can only get high end quad core CPUs in an iMac, and the graphics are actually mobile chipsets, not the full desktop versions, which does make a huge difference. Never mind the fact that you can not get a professional graphics (Quadro or FireGL) in an iMac, which impacts other professional applications (AutoCAD, Pro Engineer, etc) more than the video field.

The ThunderBolt PCI-E expansion chassis on the market now are like $1k, and the storage is absurdly priced too. Since Premiere and Media Composer both run on Windows, the cost of a comparable PC workstation is cheaper and more powerful than an iMac and TB.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

quote:

2)Video card by way of AJA, Black Magic, or RED. The RED Rocket (loving retarded name) requires 8x PCI-E, which is the most available bandwidth on current gen ThunderBolt

I know it's awesome for editing and is super powerful, but that loving name makes me giggle all the time. Why would they name it that...

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Shmoogy posted:

This actually caused Adobe to drop the price of Lightroom to something far more reasonable. I don't think we can judge the intended audience based on price for this one.

Don't get me wrong, I bought Aperture at the lower price and love it, and I like that it caused Adobe to make Lightroom better and cheaper, but that does not get around the fact they haven't really been updating it either.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Who knows, maybe with Tim in charge he'll kill the Mac Pro and replace it with something a little bit smaller, running with one or two i7's and a few PCI slots.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Who knows, maybe with Tim in charge he'll kill the Mac Pro and replace it with something a little bit smaller, running with one or two i7's and a few PCI slots.

I'm not sure but I don't think you can run dual-i7 chips. SMP is a Xeon-exclusive feature.

I think the problem with a smaller Mac Pro (say 4 RAM slots and 3 internal drive bays) would be the fact that some huge PCI cards wouldn't fit in there unless you didn't make the case much smaller than it already is.

A triple-size mini would be cool but I don't think enough people would buy it. 2 PCI slots, 4 ram, 3 hard drive...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

~Coxy posted:

I wonder if they will keep the Mac Pro as it is until Thunderbolt either sinks or swims.
Then either revive or kill it based on that.

It's a shame Psystar lost. We could have had a budding xMac cottage industry.

It's not like Apple doesn't have a history of abandoning a proven technology for something they are super hot for that's not quite adopted or completely baked yet.

I guess I am glad I never bothered to finish up my ACSA certifications, since OSX Server is not exactly going to be a huge market force anytime soon :[

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Viktor posted:

Side note; you really need to loctite the case screws back in because they work out/loose over time.
Definitely need loctite. Unfortunately, I've been too lazy/forget about getting loctite, so I just keep having to crack it open to tighten the screws..

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Just saw this posted in the monitor thread:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/14/sharp-rolls-out-high-res-igzo-lcds-destined-for-tablets-laptops/

Any chance the new MacBooks would have retina displays, or is this not enough lead time for something like that?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

More like they'd like to take care of some extra validation/etc. They share their uArch with their desktop counterparts, but it takes longer for "server" platforms. The upcoming Romley is an absolute mess of possible configurations that all need to be validated.

I had a look at upgrading my dual socket (non-apple) server not too long ago. The same server hardware was available for the same niche but for 77% of the price. Server hardware doesn't really move forward that quickly until there are real, stable improvements. It's not like the 90's or the early 00's where we saw massive improvements continuously.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 15, 2012

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

What's the outlook on the mini? Mac rumors says don't buy, but they don't show any rumors about updates and it's only about halfway through its usual cycle.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

What's the outlook on the mini? Mac rumors says don't buy, but they don't show any rumors about updates and it's only about halfway through its usual cycle.

It's waiting on Ivy Bridge, like the rest of the line.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

cbirdsong posted:

It's waiting on Ivy Bridge, like the rest of the line.

Alright, has there been any insight to if it will be updated this month with the supposed MacBook Pro update? Or any rumors about anything beside ivy bridge?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Last I read, dual-core Ivy Bridge parts aren't expected to launch until summer. That's the Mini and the Air.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm hoping for a 15" Macbook Pro/Air that only has integrated graphics. I currently use gfxstatus to always turn off the discrete card anyway. Apple's graphics switching is so poo poo, why the hell does Twitter, Chrome, or practically anything you run force the video card on? Remove the optical and make it slimmer and it's be great. 1080p standard wouldn't hurt either. 1440x900 is rear end and is practically making me claw my eyes out. I can't wait to get rid of this thing and get the updated Macbook.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm hoping for a 15" Macbook Pro/Air that only has integrated graphics. I currently use gfxstatus to always turn off the discrete card anyway. Apple's graphics switching is so poo poo, why the hell does Twitter, Chrome, or practically anything you run force the video card on?

If an app uses fancy bits in Core Animation, or uses OpenGL at all, it's very difficult for the system to know which card would be ideal (a lot of OpenGL stuff you'd be better off running on discrete). As of Lion, there's an API for developers to tell the system which card they prefer: QA 1734

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm hoping for a 15" Macbook Pro/Air that only has integrated graphics. I currently use gfxstatus to always turn off the discrete card anyway. Apple's graphics switching is so poo poo, why the hell does Twitter, Chrome, or practically anything you run force the video card on? Remove the optical and make it slimmer and it's be great. 1080p standard wouldn't hurt either. 1440x900 is rear end and is practically making me claw my eyes out. I can't wait to get rid of this thing and get the updated Macbook.

I don't need a thinner 15" Pro, but I also wouldn't mind having one with integrated graphics. HD 4000 should be plenty for any UI stuff. I have zero interest in any games (current ones at least) or 3D graphics otherwise.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Last I read, dual-core Ivy Bridge parts aren't expected to launch until summer. That's the Mini and the Air.
Wishful exception being that they could replace the dual cores with the new quad core parts in the mini (and 13" MBP?). I forget if there's going to be ULV quad cores available (for the MBAs) though.

Whatever the case with the mini I wouldn't expect it until summer regardless of parts just cause they tend to space releases out, and the notebooks and iMac generally have priority.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I just wish Apple would go back to discrete-only GPUs. And maybe giving us nVidia or ATI chips again? Can't understand why they jigger the entire system into offloading all graphics work including the GUI to the GPU (brilliant) and then start using GPUs from a company that hasn't figured how to make good ones yet (retarded).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Binary Badger posted:

I just wish Apple would go back to discrete-only GPUs. And maybe giving us nVidia or ATI chips again? Can't understand why they jigger the entire system into offloading all graphics work including the GUI to the GPU (brilliant) and then start using GPUs from a company that hasn't figured how to make good ones yet (retarded).

You'd prefer ATI over AMD? AMD bought ATI in 2006.

As for why Apple would use both the Intel IGP and a discrete chip, the answer is really, really simple: better battery life without sacrificing the option of more horsepower.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Factory Factory posted:

You'd prefer ATI over AMD? AMD bought ATI in 2006.

As for why Apple would use both the Intel IGP and a discrete chip, the answer is really, really simple: better battery life without sacrificing the option of more horsepower.

This. I've had a notebook with a discrete GPU in the past. There really is no point unless you absolutely must play a game or something. The Intel GPU is more than enough for OS rendering.

I guess a better answer is that most people buying computers aren't goons that need to play the latest game while they are out buying their mountain dew and cheetos.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 15, 2012

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

I'm hoping they'll surprise us with a new Pro, a bit like when everyone thought the Mini was going to be discontinued but then the nice aluminium unibody model came along. It seems pretty ridiculous to ditch such a high spending demographic like video editors.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They have to. People won't settle for an i7 as the top of the line when you can have dual hex or quad Xeons

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've decided I want to get a mac mini (it'd be my first mac) but I'm waiting on the hardware update, and certain features that are in mountain lion. I have some questions though.

I will most likely have the mac mini in an HTPC style setup. Would the apple wireless keyboard and the magic trackpad be recommended for this use? Or are there better options?

If anyone uses the mac mini server does it hold up well with all processors at 100% for a month at a time?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Yes a wiireless keyboard and trackpad will most likely be required. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can use your phone/pad via VNC screen sharing to access as well.

Finally, if you are going to burn 100% of the CPUs most of the time, just get AppleCare for your mini (like $100) and you'll be covered for 3 years of ape poo poo CPU usage, in case a core does burn out or something.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 16, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MOLLUSC posted:

I'm hoping they'll surprise us with a new Pro, a bit like when everyone thought the Mini was going to be discontinued but then the nice aluminium unibody model came along. It seems pretty ridiculous to ditch such a high spending demographic like video editors.
I'm not sure about an all new machine, but going by stuff like this, particularly:

quote:

It was an interesting meeting. Apple clearly wants it known that FCP X should be considered a professional application, that development is on-going, and that they are listening to comments from users.
I wouldn't be too surprised with at least an internal update now that the parts are finally out. It seems like they still want to be a part of the market, to what extent is the question. Would basic spec bumps be enough for most customers?

Devian666 posted:

I've decided I want to get a mac mini (it'd be my first mac) but I'm waiting on the hardware update, and certain features that are in mountain lion. I have some questions though.

I will most likely have the mac mini in an HTPC style setup. Would the apple wireless keyboard and the magic trackpad be recommended for this use? Or are there better options?

If anyone uses the mac mini server does it hold up well with all processors at 100% for a month at a time?
The keyboard and trackpad are nice, although whether they work for you as an HTPC just depends on your setup. Like the keyboard would be fine whether on a lap or table, while the trackpad could get a bit weird on a lap, particularly if you're using the keyboard there at the same time as well. There's some things to lock them together to make that easier though. Otherwise there's a crapload of other HTPC keyboard/mouse combo devices out there. I use some tiny handheld that's only ok cause I don't need it much, otherwise it'd be annoying to have to use a lot. If you have an iOS device there's remote apps that work through those too.

Not sure about running full tilt all the time, I'd do a test run and monitor the temperature first. I've run mine pretty long doing encoding but not a month straight. Main concern would be ambient temp and airflow, like you don't want it to just recirculate the hot air it's spewing out. Another concern (particularly as a HTPC) is just that it'd be loud. Hell one of the main reasons I'd love a big mini (new cube!) is just to get a quieter cooling setup out of it.

Edit: yeah AppleCare to be safe is probably the best idea.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 16, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FlashBangBob posted:

Finally, if you are going to burn 100% of the CPUs most of the time, just get AppleCare for your mini (like $60) and you'll be covered for 3 years of ape poo poo CPU usage, in case a core does burn out or something.

Thanks for the kb mouse advice guys.

The servers are a separate item from what I want to do at home. The plan is to test software I use at work. Then I may use 3 or 4 mini servers for number crunching work. The electrical engineers at work will get upset with me if I use too much power or output too much heat. That's primarily because I don't want to spend money on more UPS, cooling or modifying the switchboard so I'm stuck with a power/heat profile that I need to stay inside.

It sounds like the fans are noisy on full load but that's not a big deal as it can't be any worse than my dual socket server in the back room.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Cross posting fromt he monitor thread...

I have a couple of adapter in my MBP 2011 to output HDMI and it works fine. If I add a HDMI to DVI adapter it doesn't detect the monitor. 27" Korean IPS. Is this an active / passive dvi issue? Isn't all HDMI "active"?

I just want to use my new monitor at full res on my MBP but the mini DP to DVI I bought is not active. Are the official ones active. Whatever the gently caress that means.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
For a 27" monitor you need a MDP to Dual-Link DVI adaptor, all of which are active.
Plain old DVI or HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

~Coxy posted:

For a 27" monitor you need a MDP to Dual-Link DVI adaptor, all of which are active.
Plain old DVI or HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200.

Cool thanks... Will this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MDP2DVIS-...#ht_1645wt_1141

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Cool thanks... Will this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MDP2DVIS-...#ht_1645wt_1141

It needs to support a dual-link DVI connection. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Or Apple's version:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A

edit: I just read that your adaptor supports "Dual-link DVI" but supports display resolutions up to 1920x1200 only.