Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I threw $50 at it when it came up and didn't mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So at this rate it looks like it's just going to miss the 3 million mark (ending around 2.95 million). Unless things pick up.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Put in $30.

As much as I like Fallout 1+2 I was hesitant about offering funding because I never played Wasteland and I'm not expecting this to fill that void. If it were a kickstarter for some kind of Van Buren revival then I would have thrown money at it, but with this I would have rather waited a while, see how the project is shaping up and then donate if it appeals to me. But there's a deadline and that $30 bracket is hard to resist.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo
As someone who missed out on Wasteland in the first place but was introduced to it late and liked it (once I got in the right headspace for playing an ancient RPG with all the bullshit that implies) I put in $50. Because feelies are great and it seems the only way to get them nowadays is to buy the Ultra Limited Collectors Edition.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So I'm assuming that the $50 and over tiers include all the rewards found in the $30 tier, even though it doesn't say so. Is that correct?

Because I don't want to pledge $50 and miss out on the Chris Avellone Novella.

And I'm confused. Chris Avellone and Michael Stackpole are BOTH doing Novellas?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 16, 2012

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

theblackw0lf posted:

So I'm assuming that the $50 and over tiers include all the rewards found in the $30 tier, even though it doesn't say so. Is that correct?

Yep!

And if I wasn't counted by RagingBoner, I'm in for $250.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

theblackw0lf posted:

quote:

Project Update #13: Less than 40 hours left...
Posted by inXile entertainment Like

We have less than 40 hours before our Kickstarter campaign ends, and what an incredible last month it has been. I am very anxious to start diverting all of my energies to production of the game itself. I am constantly asked about other projects I might consider, but for now it is Wasteland, Wasteland, Wasteland.

I hope you all had a chance to get a glimpse of the latest concept art from Andrée Wallin. Anyone who played the first Wasteland remembers the first time they ran into the Scorpitron, and this seemed the perfect enemy to prep up for the sequel. Scorpitron 2.0 is much more lethal than its predecessor.

Also we have spent some time thinking about and asking fans what we could put into the $30 tier to make it more interesting and to not disrupt what has already been offered. I think we have come up with an interesting list that may persuade a few people to upgrade. Based on your top requests and a forum poll we now offer the following as part of the $30 tier:

An extra digital download of the game in any format. Many people wanted to be able to get a Mac AND a PC version, or PC and Linux, or even an extra PC version for a friend. Now you can.

Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.

Access to a four-episode Video Development Blog that will show you an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the design and development of Wasteland 2. Sit in on designer meetings and art-review meetings to see the process behind how the game is made. See interviews with Brian Fargo, Chris Avellone, Mike Stackpole, Alan Pavlish, and the rest of the development team as they explain to you what they are doing and why they are doing it.

A novella by Chris Avellone based on the universe of Wasteland.

Of course, all backers who are in at higher levels will also get all of these added items too.

Also we will have a live streaming party on Monday night (16th) from 10pm-12am EDT to celebrate the green light of production on the game. Our Kickstarter does not close until 5am the next morning, but we wanted to get some of our friends and family together to celebrate this little bit of history and share it with you. On attendance will be Nolan Bushnell the founder of Atari, Chris Avellone and a few other surprise guests. We will be answering questions received through live chat on the Twitch TV stream as well as from Facebook fans. I will tweet the URL Monday afternoon as well as post it here on Kickstarter.

Thanks again for all the support and faith....

Brian Fargo

Emphasis mine.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

theblackw0lf posted:

Everything trickles down, unless specifically mentioned. If you get the $50 level, you'll get the stuff at each level lower than yours, too.

Oh hey, Grim Dawn, the new videogame made by the Titan Quest guys, has been preparing to release a kickstarter to help finish the last leg of their game. One of the few projects where much of the project is completed already. It looks neat.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

fookolt posted:

Yep!

And if I wasn't counted by RagingBoner, I'm in for $250.

Ok, pledged $55.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
We're at $2.8M now and the amount has grown by $130k during the last 20 hours. 18 hours to go but $3M is definitely doable.

E: And I'll raise my pledge to $165 if Quarex promises to do an LP. :toxx:

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 16, 2012

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
In the $100. Can't wait for this game! But in the meantime... yes please on the LP, Quarex.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

So at this rate it looks like it's just going to miss the 3 million mark (ending around 2.95 million). Unless things pick up.

:smith: I really like having modding tools available.

Badguy posted:

Put in $30.

As much as I like Fallout 1+2 I was hesitant about offering funding because I never played Wasteland and I'm not expecting this to fill that void. If it were a kickstarter for some kind of Van Buren revival then I would have thrown money at it, but with this I would have rather waited a while, see how the project is shaping up and then donate if it appeals to me. But there's a deadline and that $30 bracket is hard to resist.

For me it was a no-brainer even not having played Wasteland: all of the Fallout and Wasteland devs, working together on a sequel to the game that inspired the creation of Fallout in the first place? gently caress yes, sign me up.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some of the ideas from Van Buren in there; ISTR Avellone or Fargo saying something to that effect. We probably won't see Van Buren as originally envisioned at any point, but between Wasteland 2 and New Vegas, I think most of it will get used somehow.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, what? How? :ohdear:

This sounds like a good argument for playing it entirely with the keyboard.

If you play it with a mouse, it basically treats it as if you're pressing a key every time it polls the mouse and realises that you're clicking (or holding) the mouse button down. If it polls often, that translates into a whole lot of mouse clicks translated into a whole bunch of key presses… so a single careless click-and-hold can easily send you half-way across the map, through eight land mines, a few cacti, and some radiation just for good measure.

…and then we come to the state mechanics. Every time you leave one area for another (and what counts as an “area”, and what is simply a sub-area of the place you're in, is at times less than intuitive), it saves the state of the world for when you come back. Since the entire world and its entire state is saved in the data files for the game, this means there are no undo:s if you do something wrong and leave. Most of the time, you get a warning prompt that you're about to leave an area, but that's easily dismissed with a single keypress.

Now combine the two: “doing something wrong and leaving” can be as simple as hold on to your mouse for too long, rack up an entire party of mortally or critically wounded and radiated characters, in a new area (because that last polling of the mouse also counted as accepting the area transfer... oops) with the only one still left alive being the one character without First Aid or Medic. Good night, and good luck.

Even within areas, where you can always quit without saving (but you have to be careful about it), you can screw yourself over in a similar way. Clicking your mouse cursor on the party counts as holding the ESC key down, which just passes time. Normally, this is used to have people heal up (or, probably even more commonly, to make a “heal for 24h” macro), but it works the other way around as well: leaving a seriously wounded without care will over time have him turn worse and worse and finally die. Now imagine what happens if you click your half-dead party and the game decides to count that as roughly 10^48 key presses on the ESC key.

So yes. Leave the mouse drivers unloaded — they're far more trouble than they're worth. It's a keyboard game with mouse support hacked in largely “just because”.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 16, 2012

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

edit ≠ quote… dunce >_<

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Threw in $50 at the start of this madness, may or may not upgrade depending on how crazy I'm feeling.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

ToxicFrog posted:

:smith: I really like having modding tools available.

The kickstarter counter doesn't include the paypal pledges on their website.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Kaboobi posted:

Threw in $50 at the start of this madness, may or may not upgrade depending on how crazy I'm feeling.

Let the planets guide you.

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

How much did I drink last night?

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, what? How? :ohdear:

This sounds like a good argument for playing it entirely with the keyboard.

Right, so miss-click might be the wrong term to use. More like "miss-press-some-buttons-on-the-Keyboard". Let's say the two doctors on my team gets irradiated. If I then proceed out of my current location to a new one, the game auto saves and my guys condition gets worse and worse which could mean that my two dudes die outright and that the game saves that progress.
This might not be a problem for a patient player, but for a player with ADD like myself (not really) ,who just runs all over the place without really knowing what's going on, it might pose a problem...

Actually, I just realized that what I'm trying to say is "Please Quarex play this game for me because I'm too lazy".

(Accidentally selling your best weapon without being prompted "Are you SURE you want to sell this gun" IS frustrating though, please give me that!)

Edit: Basically what Tippis said

waqii fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 16, 2012

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Tippis posted:

So yes. Leave the mouse drivers unloaded — they're far more trouble than they're worth. It's a keyboard game with mouse support hacked in largely “just because”.

This, or play the Apple II version, which does not have mouse support :D

Edit: I neglected this thread for a while (despite being a big Wasteland fan) and got back to it yesterday and I regret not being able to help with the paragraphs app :(

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 16, 2012

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
They'd hardly dismiss the idea of building mod tools if they fall short of the $3 million mark, right? Dev costs are met so, as long are there aren't any major setbacks, I can't imagine there'd be many expenses to cover once it's released. Wouldn't be too crazy to project a few thousand more sales from people who didn't like the idea of contributing to a funding model, didn't hear about the kickstarter or would only take an interest once they've seen a solid build of the game. They should be able to cover the costs somewhere down the line.

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 16, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I just dropped $100 dollars on this bad boy.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Badguy posted:

They'd hardly dismiss the idea of building mod tools if they fall short of the $3 million mark, right? Dev costs are met so, as long are there aren't any major setbacks, I can't imagine there'd be many expenses to cover once it's released. Wouldn't be too crazy to project a few thousand more sales from people who didn't like the idea of contributing to a funding model, didn't hear about the kickstarter or would only take an interest once they've seen a solid build of the game. They should be able to cover the costs somewhere down the line.

Brian Fargo should pony up that 100k he promised initially. Fargo fund those mods! :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I don't want mod tools I want a bigger game with more poo poo in it. :smith:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Well it pulled in $11,500 last hour, so the three million is still possible.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Peas and Rice posted:

I don't want mod tools I want a bigger game with more poo poo in it. :smith:

Just imagine some deranged fans happily recreating Wasteland 1 with the Wasteland 2 mods.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HiriseSoftware posted:

This, or play the Apple II version, which does not have mouse support :D

DOS version looks better. :colbert:

Or so I'm told.

quote:

Edit: I neglected this thread for a while (despite being a big Wasteland fan) and got back to it yesterday and I regret not being able to help with the paragraphs app :(

Even with it done now, knowing that so many people are willing to help with it gives me the warm fuzzies. :unsmith:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

signalnoise posted:

Just imagine some deranged fans happily recreating Wasteland 1 with the Wasteland 2 mods.

Even better, if you're on the fence about just how awesome mod tools would make this game, just look into the Skyrim Nexus thread.

Just imagine the possibilities for WastelandNexus :allears:

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

ToxicFrog posted:

DOS version looks better. :colbert:

Or so I'm told.

They do look a lot better. The Apple II box had the PC screenshots on the back, so I was kinda disappointed that the game didn't look exactly like that. But the Apple II graphics still had their charm and back then that's all I knew.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

fookolt posted:

Even better, if you're on the fence about just how awesome mod tools would make this game, just look into the Skyrim Nexus thread.

Gonna get some boobs on that Scorpitron 2.0. Also there will be a sidequest where you can seduce it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fookolt posted:

Oh, the panties we could mod...

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
I think I remember reading in one of the interviews that it wasn't a binary decision so I'm assuming they're not going to go "Oh drat... $2,999,999. Guess you guys don't want mod tools!"

More importantly it sounded like priority number one is world size and content. The mod tools are a small team over and above the main team if and only if they had the resources to spare.

Also to Peas and Rice, there's probably an upper limit to what they can reasonably accomplish in the 16-18ish months anyway. 3 million sounds like quite a lot but that's a pretty lean development budget these days, especially for how many folks it sounds like are already on the team and I'm only thinking of those named so far.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Blooshoo posted:

Gonna get some boobs on that Scorpitron 2.0. Also there will be a sidequest where you can seduce it.

You need to spend more time in Nexus: it's Scorpidong or the highway :chord:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

signalnoise posted:

Isn't that what this kickstarter was all about?

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Another lurker de-cloaking here to chime in. I donated $250. I never played Wasteland, but Fallout 1/2 are some of my favorite games of all time.

Quarex - I was in for $100 on day 2, but started worrying about if that much was a good idea. Your enthusiasm not only erased my doubts, but convinced me to go up to $150, and then $250 level a day or two later. Thanks, man!

e: Also, if we get to name our player characters, I shall name one of them Quarex.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2012

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Azathoth LCA posted:

Another lurker de-cloaking here to chime in. I donated $250. I never played Wasteland, but Fallout 1/2 are some of my favorite games of all time.

Quarex - I was in for $100 on day 2, but started worrying about if that much was a good idea. Your enthusiasm not only erased my doubts, but convinced me to go up to $150, and then $250 level a day or two later. Thanks, man!

Heh, I was in at $150 initially and then bumped up to $250.

All I know is that when I release my indie game, I'm going to have Quarex be the hypeman.

Quarex, are you a fan of Battlefield or Tribes? :allears:

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

I'm in for 115 of your American dollars.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

And I'm confused. Chris Avellone and Michael Stackpole are BOTH doing Novellas?

Oh jesus, what happened to this post.

Chris is doing a comic book/novel style thing. Stackapole is writing a treasure map/guide as if it was written by a Wastelander.

So Chris will have something similar to the comics for New Vegas, while Stackapole will have something more like "left a bag of grenades under the bus on the way to Vegas, hope nobody steals them."

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Oh jesus, what happened to this post.

Chris is doing a comic book/novel style thing. Stackapole is writing a treasure map/guide as if it was written by a Wastelander.

So Chris will have something similar to the comics for New Vegas, while Stackapole will have something more like "left a bag of grenades under the bus on the way to Vegas, hope nobody steals them."

There were comics for New Vegas?

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Thinking of upping from $50 to $10. How to choose which reward, poster or t-shirt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
$15 in from me; would've liked the paper manual/physical copy, but money is tight.

• Locked thread