Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Koldenblue posted:

So electric wizard has two new songs out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RqJ9blAHHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVxtRxHSa0Y&feature=relmfu

The first song sounds pretty much exactly like their last two albums. The second song is the more interesting one. I'm somewhat disappointed actually. I was hoping they'd make the production sound heavier instead of just rehashing the last two albums.

I think the first song is better than the entirety of Black Mass. I was really really disappointed with Black Mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Polegrinder posted:

John Baizley has also talked about the latest Baroness album. Seems like they are going with a different sound and approach to their music this time.

Any indication as to how it will be different?

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

MR.B posted:

I do agree with you, but I am liking both songs regardless.

Yeah, I don't think the new songs are terrible or anything. I just feel like the production is lacking.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I'm still kicking myself for missing Om last week. :( If that article is correct, sounds like the new album is going to be more complex than their previous stuff (+ this video preview I posted earlier hints that way too http://vimeo.com/39645699).

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Roasted Donut posted:

Any indication as to how it will be different?

Interviews with Baizley basically say not as heavy, and more hooks than the Blue Record - also a bit more simpler song structure as well (I maybe misremembering that bit). Will have to wait and see though because he is the kind of guy that says a lot of words without really revealing anything haha.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
If anyone's into dISEMBOWELMENT or death/doom in general, some previous members are now in a band called Inverloch that is pretty awesome and basically sounds like a continuation of where they left off.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Speewah posted:

Interviews with Baizley basically say not as heavy, and more hooks than the Blue Record - also a bit more simpler song structure as well (I maybe misremembering that bit). Will have to wait and see though because he is the kind of guy that says a lot of words without really revealing anything haha.

That makes it sound like Torche, although I'm sure it won't really.

Also fwiw that new Torche sounds really good. http://stereogum.com/997002/torche-reverse-inverted/news/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Going to see Melvins tonight at the Troubadour in LA, can't wait to hear Buzz with the dudes from Big Business in the lineup, their last album was really loving good.

Melvins - A History of Bad Men

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

First YOB set at Roadburn 2012 ended with them playing 'Adrift in the Ocean' (arguably the best song on Atma). I almost loving wept with happiness near the end of the song, goddamn.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I've been jealous a lot in my life, but I think knowing that I'm not at Roadburn and a gently caress ton of other people are kind of takes the cake these days. You guys enjoy yourselves and be safe!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Yeah, I'm most likely going to see Sleep in Seattle. gently caress.

Also, YOB two times in two months. I love it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

July is gonna be a good month, new Baroness album, Yellow & Green, out July 17th!

I loving love 2012.

New Ufomammut owns bones.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 14, 2012

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Weedeater + Cough tonight. Earplugs are ready.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Saw Orange Goblin on Thursday and they were great. I'm not a particularly huge fan but they had a lot of energy and really seemed to be enjoying themselves. The setlist had a lot of variety too rather than just stuff from Eulogy.

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012
I'm normally not a fan of metal, but I've recently discovered I love stoner-sludge metal and that I absolutely love Sleep's Jerusalem and Dopesmoker. I'm a fan of Electric Wizard's Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics too. Not so much a fan of the other stoner-sludge that was posted in the OP besides Black Sabbath. Could anyone suggest albums most similar to Jerusalem and Dopesmoker? I'm looking for something sludgy, slow, and shoegaze-y, like Sleep's later work or the more recent Have A Nice Day's Deathconsciousness. Thanks for any suggestions...

whooping crane fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 15, 2012

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

whooping crane posted:

I'm normally not a fan of metal, but I've recently discovered I love stoner-sludge metal and that I absolutely love Sleep's Jerusalem and Dopesmoker. I'm a fan of Electric Wizard's Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics too. Not so much a fan of the other stoner-sludge that was posted in the OP besides Black Sabbath. Could anyone suggest albums most similar to Jerusalem and Dopesmoker? I'm looking for something sludgy, slow, and shoegaze-y, like Sleep's later work or the more recent Have A Nice Day's Deathconsciousness. Thanks for any suggestions...

I would suggest Ufomammut and Bongripper. Maybe YOB if you want more shoegazey.

edit: Also, if you didn't know, Sleep split into two different bands: Matt Pike formed High on Fire, and the other two formed Om. High on Fire became faster and thrashier, Om kept going in the direction of fuzzed out and droney.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 15, 2012

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Definitely seconding Om; they generally have an even more laid-back feel than Sleep. The Angelic Process are often cited as good doom/shoegaze, although I can't say I've ever thought too much of them myself. I might also recommend Feedbacker by Boris, though they have a very broad stylistic range and most of it isn't really in this vein. Horseback might be worth a look; although there's a healthy amount of drone/noise and black metal influence in there too, they do some pretty doomy stuff. More recently, Vulgaari's self-titled definitely reminded me of older Wizard stuff.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Try Jesu as well if you like shoegazy doom.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

End of Roadburn. It's been fun knowing you, frequency that Black Cobra just obliterated. Might look into earplugs in the near future.

Snapes N Snapes fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 16, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The second preview of the new Ahab album is up. I can't say I like this as much as the first one, and I'm starting to fear that the stupid cover art is indicative of what they're going to do musically. Nothing in this song grabs me. I won't go so far as to say it's boringly generic, but that land is within sight :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xth6w_IuZyE

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

ruddiger posted:

Going to see Melvins tonight at the Troubadour in LA, can't wait to hear Buzz with the dudes from Big Business in the lineup, their last album was really loving good.

Melvins - A History of Bad Men

Honestly, I think this new EP they put out last month, The Bulls and the Bees, is some of the best material they've ever recorded. Makes me even more excited to hear the new full length in June.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nosophoros posted:

End of Roadburn. It's been fun knowing you, frequency that Black Cobra just obliterated. Might look into earplugs in the near future.
The plugs for 2 euros at the box office work way better than your supermarket ones.

Just got back myself, and man. So much incredible music this time. has anyone else seen Celeste before? because holy poo poo.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Idioteque Dance posted:

has anyone else seen Celeste before? because holy poo poo.

These guys? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrU6-nhUy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrU6-nhUy4

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds like them. I'm not familiar with them but their performance was amazing. They filled the room with smoke/fog to the point where the other rooms and corridors were bellowing smoke so we went to check it out - couldn't see anything more than 2 foot in front, except the band who had a red headlamp on their heads while they played. A simple trick but it really loving worked.

Obviously Bongripper, Yob, Sleep, etc all fantastic. Sleep got in a good 25 minutes of Dopesmoker at least. Almost no disappointments, honestly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bongripper play any new stuff?
Or Sleep for that matter?

Edit :

Some videos of Sleep at Roadburn
You lucky feckers:

http://youtu.be/vPsCHTRJl2E
http://youtu.be/bSJsZb5lAIU

That user's put up loads of stuff from Roadburn, check it out!

Also
Bongripper Hail at Roadburn
:stare:

I envy all you Roadburners so much.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 16, 2012

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Necro Deathmort was my favorite show. Please don't ban me. Only regret is missing Celeste, but it was loving DOOM! And Celeste will come to Portugal some day.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Idioteque Dance posted:

Sounds like them. I'm not familiar with them but their performance was amazing. They filled the room with smoke/fog to the point where the other rooms and corridors were bellowing smoke so we went to check it out - couldn't see anything more than 2 foot in front, except the band who had a red headlamp on their heads while they played. A simple trick but it really loving worked.

Obviously Bongripper, Yob, Sleep, etc all fantastic. Sleep got in a good 25 minutes of Dopesmoker at least. Almost no disappointments, honestly.

Yeah, that's the same guys. French doom band I guess.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Their entire discography is free on their label's website, by the by.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yo dudes, I'm new to sludge metal really. Is there anything as wretched as Absolutego? I think I'm spoiled because nothing seems to push it far enough in comparison to that record.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dog Jones posted:

Yo dudes, I'm new to sludge metal really. Is there anything as wretched as Absolutego? I think I'm spoiled because nothing seems to push it far enough in comparison to that record.
Absolutego is an absolute monster but 00 Void by Sunn should give you a run for your money. You'd definitely like Earth2 by Earth though it's not quite as downright noisy, it's still a drone/doom classic.

Also try Vonn - Victim One (Agony), not listened to it in years but that's a solid hour of loud, sick, evil noises.

You really jumped into the deep end with that one!

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Idioteque Dance posted:

Absolutego is an absolute monster but 00 Void by Sunn should give you a run for your money. You'd definitely like Earth2 by Earth though it's not quite as downright noisy, it's still a drone/doom classic.

Also try Vonn - Victim One (Agony), not listened to it in years but that's a solid hour of loud, sick, evil noises.

You really jumped into the deep end with that one!

Yeah, it instantly shot up to one of my all time favorites, and I was shocked at what I had just heard. I just started listening to Earth 2, sounds great so far. Thanks man.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Roadburn - no words.

The heaviest gig were Conan or Bong. But all the concerts were good, all of them.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Bong were so good. Such a step up from their records. Black Cobra killed it at the same time, you'd never think that two guys can sound so loud on a big stage like that. Looks like there's plenty of good videos this year!

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Idioteque Dance posted:

Celeste are amazing. I'd love them to tour the States eventually, I'd see them in a heartbeat. They play pretty much blackened screamo mixed with sludge. Check out Celeste's page on Denovali, they have all their discography streaming and free to download in 320 straight from the label.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Oh I didn't like Ulver. I fell asleep sitting on a step, so loving boring. I was expecting it to be like last December's show here in Portugal, they played a lot of old Ulver songs (nothing blackmetal), even some of my classic favorites... Huge disappointment but I was already spent that day anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvXaLZZ6M3M
Voivod's cover of Astronomy Domine was one of the best moments I remember from the weekend, a bunch of musicians down there all jumping and singing with everyone else.

I'm so glad I couldn't sell my ticket.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Idioteque Dance posted:

Yeah Bong were so good. Such a step up from their records. Black Cobra killed it at the same time, you'd never think that two guys can sound so loud on a big stage like that.

Next weekend can't come soon enough: Fu Manchu, Black Cobra, Beastwars in Wellington/Auckland.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Haven't seen any talk about the new Beast in the Field album on here yet... BEAST IN THE FIELD IS PUTTING OUT A NEW ALBUM.

Seriously, they are one of my favorite bands and I can't wait for the new album. Here is a video for the first song off the Goat Isle Seance.

Anybody else care for them?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anyone have suggestions for stuff similar to Truckfighters - Gravity? I'm in a rough spot right now and I need something that hits hard and has no respite.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Electric Magma and Brainoil spring immediately to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Our entire set at roadburn, filmed from the audience but with really decent sound.
http://www.roadburn.com/2012/04/saturnalia-temple-roadburn-concert-footage-availabe/

Man, I wish I could go back, and also that I could stay the entire weekend...

Also, we secured a gig opening for Jex Toth in Stockholm on May 7, which is all kinds cool.