Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I found chocobo breeding easy as hell with a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Simply Simon posted:

Summon? Psh. Holy. To be more specific, Eiko for Holy, Dagger for Bahamut, Vivi for being himself and Steiner for Shock. Heal when necessary (haha, Auto-Regen).
Bahamut? Bitch please. Atomos. Granted, you have to farm Amethysts and it doesn't work on bosses, but hey, it's a 9999.

That or Doomsday Vivi with Dark-absorb gear on everybody.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Booties posted:

I found chocobo breeding easy as hell with a guide.

I'm about halfway through breeding on my playthrough. The other day I was working at it, and about the fourth time I was being told that I couldn't breed chocobos that were just born or had recently mated I was about to yell, "I don't care, just make them breed!"
Then I stopped.
And I realized.

I am Hojo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SnakesRevenge posted:

I couldn't breed chocobos that were just born or had recently mated

Fight 10 battles.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
SnakesRevenge, you monster!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh hey my favorite 8-bit Theatre strip ever.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Nakar posted:

Bahamut? Bitch please. Atomos.

Bahamut's animation is longer and therefore better suited for auto-regen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the item list for the battle square?
I would rather stack Speed Plus on my guys than go for the limit.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Pesky Splinter posted:

Clearly the chocobo breeding was inspired by Fire Emblem 4.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Alkarl posted:

Clearly the chocobo breeding was inspired by Fire Emblem 4.

Now that's just completely uncalled for.

ALL Fire Emblem games have incest.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nakar posted:

Bahamut? Bitch please. Atomos. Granted, you have to farm Amethysts and it doesn't work on bosses, but hey, it's a 9999.
Garnets are easily made and also 9999. All of which doesn't matter because it's Bahamut. You can't have a final boss fight without Bahamut spam. It's in the rules, somewhere, you know?

I actually don't know why I took Eiko...had 10k from both Frog Drop AND Dragon's Crest. Oh, and Thievery, but that would have been lame, you know?

EDIT: Is it actually okay to talk preferences within an FF :v:? In fact, every character in FF9 owns, so there's no right answer to that question except for the Bahamut rule, of course.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 17, 2012

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wow 8-bit Theatre ended? when did this happen?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Wow 8-bit Theatre ended? when did this happen?

June 2010? :v:

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2010/06/01/the-epilogue/

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Psion posted:

It really ended in March of that year, that epilogue was just waiting for someone else to finish drawing it.

I was so very disappointed in it all, though. Ah, well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He hasn't been around lately, but Clevinger is actually a member of the forums under the name Hyperactive. It took about a year for me to realize that he was the same guy from 8 bit Theatre. Which reminds me that I was the voice of Fighter for a feed the needy charity commercial that played at my high school. I cringe thinking about how stupid I sounded at the end when I told everyone to "Donate your shinies!"

Just played Chocobo Hot and Cold for the first time this play through, and it's just as fun as I remembered. I forgot how much I loved this game after almost twelve years. And special shout out to The White Dragon for his LP making this run through a little bit more magical.

Sorry for the derail. I'm more of a casual FF fan, so I've never bothered with the non-LP threads.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Just caught up with this thread and wanted to express my love for that cutscene where Cloud confronts Sephiroth in the basement library, and Sephiroth just beans him with a materia and flies away like superman.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Psion posted:

Did not see that, I think I last read it when I was a sophomore in highschool in 05ish I think.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Last time I skimmed over the most important part of the story and blew something up.

Jack White chose the colors red, white, and black for the White Stripes as he said it is the most powerful combination of colors. Coca-Cola and Nazi Germany were his examples. I find myself agreeing.

I loving suck at joining the march. :saddowns:

I kinda like how this game gives so many choices that don't really matter.

I buy a Revive materia just in case. Also that -5% HP might make Taft easier to kill.

I also get some tranquilizers in case I need the damage reduction for a gambit.

I need all of these man, all of these. Enemy Skills are some of the greatest things.

I also get this then not use it for the part I should've.

poo poo I failed.

The Force Stealer being the top reward makes no sense logistically.

This is available later and costs more. 5800 more.

Yeah I don't either man.

On the boat I tell the girls their ideas suck.

Anyway I take the only crew I really can and give Aerated the HP Plus materia, showing how the thing is so loving valuable that I had to reset and game the system to get it.

I should've used the headband for this, but I still get a set of Shinra Betas.

Oh boy, by the time I get Yuffie I can get her her ultimate weapon, so this is free money!

LIME GREEN THEN BOSS BATTLE

JENOVA-Birth has a shitton of HP compared to previous bosses and her attacks are starting to sting. Stop would probably have been devistating if Aerated didn't dodge both of them.

God bless you Aerated.

I bust out the summons and limits at the start in an attempt to beat her down quick.

It didn't go so well.

However, at times her powerful attacks ended up aiding me. Mostly by killing Taft and CLOUD and indicating she's not casting Stop on Aerated this turn. Not like she had the MP for a third cast anyway.

ATB management, knowing the boss, shittons of grenades.

Aerated finally picks up Seal Evil and hits level 11.

Costa Del Sol only has a few things of interest.

400 ethers? No way.

But the ring's free. This will be incredibly handy in the future, I can just feel it.

I buy a few of these in case I need more damage than a grenade can provide in a pinch. I should've known they'd be instantly outdated.

I keep 4 of each status healing item on hand, don'tcha know?

For Mt. Corel I go with earth tones and beige! Browns and beige! Light browns and dark browns and browns and beige!

Mt. Corel is so earth-toned the lens flare is green.

Bombs, a FF classic.

I steal their arms.

I steal so many I bring along Rex Ronan, as he has 4 levels over Taft so he can steal slightly better.

I uh... I don't know why I get so much of the treasure.

This bridge is an important screen.

It's mostly Bombs for arm theft.

Except for the pincher attacks. Getting out of this one is annoying.

I just have no idea why this is the top reward.

BARREL CAME FROM TOWN

THEN TOWN EXPLODE

gently caress this backstory poo poo I'm gonna go play games.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

For Mt. Corel I go with earth tones and beige! Browns and beige! Light browns and dark browns and browns and beige!

Classic.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I always really liked the green lensflare. It's really cool looking!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm sure I've said it before, but green lens flare screen is hands-down THE defining screen of the game for me. I think FF7, that's the very first thing that comes to mind.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Die Laughing posted:

Just played Chocobo Hot and Cold for the first time this play through, and it's just as fun as I remembered.

CH&C owns, it's my favorite minigame of the series. Yeah it's simple, but considering that every other FF minigame is "simple + awful controls for the sake of making things harder (when they're not inane poo poo like frog-catching or lightning-dodging)," then I'll take CH&C any day.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Vanrushal posted:

CH&C owns, it's my favorite minigame of the series. Yeah it's simple, but considering that every other FF minigame is "simple + awful controls for the sake of making things harder (when they're not inane poo poo like frog-catching or lightning-dodging)," then I'll take CH&C any day.

CH&C has almost every mini game detail that would make me hate it, and yet I love it. Maybe because it enabled my world map wanderlust.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Except for the pincher attacks. Getting out of this one is annoying.

I was wondering, how do you handle these? The "Attack from both sides!" attacks, I mean, not the birds in general.

Also, are you following a low level guide or do you just look stuff up and figure out yourself how to be low level?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Man with Hat posted:

I was wondering, how do you handle these? The "Attack from both sides!" attacks, I mean, not the birds in general.

Also, are you following a low level guide or do you just look stuff up and figure out yourself how to be low level?

FF7 doesn't give partial EXP, so if you kill one side and run you're off the hook.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

George posted:

FF7 doesn't give partial EXP, so if you kill one side and run you're off the hook.

Huh. I coulda sworn it wouldn't allow escaping if you are attacked from both sides.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeikier posted:

Huh. I coulda sworn it wouldn't allow escaping if you are attacked from both sides.

It allows as soon as you kill one side.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: if you get attacked from behind, your characters will take double damage while they're facing away from the enemy. But you can fix this by holding down the run buttons for just a second, and afterwards they'll be facing the right way again.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Man with Hat posted:

A guide, if only because it has the math done for me so I know who to render comatose in boss battles.

Since the solution for most of these bosses is dead Taft with Aerated alive I don't use it that much.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: if you get attacked from behind, your characters will take double damage while they're facing away from the enemy. But you can fix this by holding down the run buttons for just a second, and afterwards they'll be facing the right way again.

That's just cosmetic, they still take the double damage.

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

That's just cosmetic, they still take the double damage.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that in VII, that's just what happened with back-attacks, and you will take less damage once you turn around. It has nothing to do with your overall defense for the battle, for the same reason that you only take increased damage in pincer attacks from enemies that you aren't facing. Once you face the enemy it's not that big of a deal that you got back-attacked.

The only real annoyances in back-attacks are that your ATB gauge starts empty and the rows are swapped for each character.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, it's definitely not cosmetic. Air Buster, the boss that you fight in a pincer, takes double damage if you attack its rear.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is that item actually supposed to be a Bomb's right arm or is it a mistranslation?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Back_Attack_Glitch

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

That's... not right. You definitely take double damage when attacked from behind. The glitch is that pressing L1 and R1 turns you around visually, but you're still considered to be facing the other way mechanically, so you'll still take double damage from the first attack against you (unless you act first).

E: I see that's actually what you said initially, but it's not what the wiki says.

Zandar fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 18, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I am really enjoying the Low Level run, thanks Orange Fluffy Sheep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glazius posted:

Is that item actually supposed to be a Bomb's right arm or is it a mistranslation?

Apparently it is actually a bomb's arm. :psyduck:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Zandar posted:

That's... not right. You definitely take double damage when attacked from behind. The glitch is that pressing L1 and R1 turns you around visually, but you're still considered to be facing the other way mechanically, so you'll still take double damage from the first attack against you (unless you act first).

edit: Reading this Wiki is making my head hurt and I can't remember too much regarding the mechanics. I just know the guy who has the FF7 speedrun record says the glitch does nothing.

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 18, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh I see, so you don't take double damage from a back attack in the first place. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

Orange Fluffy Sheep is a god of Breaking Final Fantasy. He just instinctivly knows how to break any FF title.

• Locked thread