Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

I didn't realize there existed a cable with an SFP+ end. I assume that I can then plug those into an Intel SFP+ NIC.
Twinax. Yes you can.

FISHMANPET posted:

Though Dell doesn't currently offer an SFP daughter card on the 12G servers. Though it really doesn't matter, I guess none of this is going to happen for at least 2 years :negative:
Eh, you can get both Intel and Broadcom sfp+ pcie NICs on 620/720's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

evil_bunnY posted:

Twinax. Yes you can.
Double check compatibility between cards and SFP+ modules before you buy. I had planned to use all Cisco SFP+'s, but Intel x520 cards don't work with Cisco SFP+ modules. http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-030612.htm

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echo465 posted:

Double check compatibility between cards and SFP+ modules before you buy. I had planned to use all Cisco SFP+'s, but Intel x520 cards don't work with Cisco SFP+ modules. http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-030612.htm
That's good info regardless, but you don't use modules with twinax, the cables plug into sfp+ ports directly.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Twinax cable requirement is also listed on that page.

quote:

What are the SFP+ direct attach cable requirements for the Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter Series?

Any SFP+ passive or active limiting direct attach copper cable that comply with the SFF-8431 v4.1 and SFF-8472 v10.4 specifications
SFF-8472 Identifier must have value 03h (SFP or SFP Plus). This value can be verified by the cable manufacturer.
Maximum cable length for passive cables is 7 meters
Support for active cables requires Intel Network Connections software version 15.3 or later

Note that last bit as we got burned by it on the X520s. To use a 10m active cable, you have to have the windows-based intel software installed or you get some very weird symptoms. We tried it on ESX and had to back off to 5m cables. The 10m active cables work fine with QLE8242s.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Is it just me or is NAT pretty broken for anyone else on workstation 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/04/nicira/

TL;DR: Company in California is developing network virtualization software that moves forward/filtering decisions from switches and packet routing/access control functions from routers up to the application layer. The capabilities will apparently go well beyond vSwitch.

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004
VMware Experts,

My employer is looking for someone knowledgeable in VMware and storage to help us with our current ESX infrastructure while we wait to fill the position outlined in this post here.

If any of you in the NYC area are interested, please PM me or email me at cesworthy at Google's email service for more details. I promise there's nothing horrifying or alcoholism inducing involved; we just want a more experienced set of eyes to look at what we have and give us some guidance about how to move forward. Thanks!

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I'm running vmware essentials (4.1)
Is there an easy way to monitor the IOPS being use by individual VMs in an ESXi setup? something that will show average and peak or better some sort of high utilization average metric. (someway to filter out the spikes and nighttime when the box isn't doing anything)

Basically I have a dell r610 with 4x300 SAS in Raid10 with two hosts and I want to make sure one host get's at least 50% of the IOPS so i'd like to throttle down the other so it maxes out at around 50%

Also does anyone have any experience with something like the thecus 8900 and or the QNAP 879 as a iSCSI NAS for lower utilization VMs or VM Drives?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bob arctor posted:

Also does anyone have any experience with something like the thecus 8900 and or the QNAP 879 as a iSCSI NAS for lower utilization VMs or VM Drives?

I currently have 4 Qnap TS-809U-RP in my work environment. Have not really had any complaints with them (after they were setup properly).

What questions did you specifically have?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm in the process of upgrading to something else, but I've been using a Thecus N8800+ for the last year and a half and it's been decent. Seems like the N8900 is the next generation of that?

The bang for the buck is definitely there, you can have acceptable shared storage for a small environment for a couple grand. It's not super feature rich, and the interface is pretty bad and littered with "Engrish", but it's been rock solid stability wise. Performance has been poor, but I only have 7200 RPM SATA drives in there so I don't expect it to scream. By which I mean day-to-day usage is totally fine, but something like shuffling VMDK files between LUNs takes many hours even though they are on the same drat physical device. I've never had something nicer so I don't know how typical that is.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
What are you upgrading to? It sucks

Moey posted:

I currently have 4 Qnap TS-809U-RP in my work environment. Have not really had any complaints with them (after they were setup properly).

What questions did you specifically have?

are you running VMs off them? I have a synology ds1010 that I use as a backup target for backup exec which is great except the backexec part), but even a relatively low requirements win 7 VM was too slow to bother with.
What did setting up the QNAPs properly consist of?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Performance has been poor, but I only have 7200 RPM SATA drives in there so I don't expect it to scream. By which I mean day-to-day usage is totally fine, but something like shuffling VMDK files between LUNs takes many hours even though they are on the same drat physical device. I've never had something nicer so I don't know how typical that is.
All these devices look nice if you have no clue about storage (web UI!) but the performance tends to disappear as soon as your arrays involve parity.

And with those spindle counts it's not wonder your VMs hate you.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 17, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I should add that most everything I've virtualized so far has been Linux boxes whose physical hardware sat at like 0.05 load average. I run vCenter in a VM and ironically it's probably the most demanding thing on there. I'm virtualizing for VMware's HA features more than anything; running a couple newer ESXi hosts in a cluster has proven infinitely better than having old garbage homebuilt boxes go down monthly because a CPU fan died or whatever.

The Thecus was a champ for what I needed (proving virtualization to management) and now I can work on getting better storage in there and virtualizing apps that couldn't easily be running in the background on a laptop.

And I admit to knowing little about "serious" storage, though I'm reading and testing in the lab every single day. As the only sysadmin in the company and not having major storage needs, it just hasn't been top priority.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Is it just me or is it impossible to download anything from the VMware site?

Wherever I click, I just end up at https://www.vmware.com/nb/try-vmware/ "Sorry, the page you requested was not found."

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

zapateria posted:

Is it just me or is it impossible to download anything from the VMware site?

Wherever I click, I just end up at https://www.vmware.com/nb/try-vmware/ "Sorry, the page you requested was not found."

It's acting funny for me too, I was able to get to some downloads from here, however:
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads

complex
Sep 16, 2003

The rollout of My VMware seems to have borked a lot of links. Tried to guide someone through signing up for evaluation download of vSphere and it was rather difficult.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bob arctor posted:

What are you upgrading to? It sucks

are you running VMs off them? I have a synology ds1010 that I use as a backup target for backup exec which is great except the backexec part), but even a relatively low requirements win 7 VM was too slow to bother with.
What did setting up the QNAPs properly consist of?

We are. iSCSI for all of them. They started out as our primary shared storage for VMs, and we are slowly migrating now to two Dell MD3220i (two separate clusters). Performance isn't anything to write home about, but between the four units, we are running around 45 VMs without any major complaints (nothing extremely IO intensive).

My old boss had the networking to "Port Trunking" with Balance-rr (Round-Robin). When we had this enabled, it would cap our throughput at around 10 megs. Switching to Balance XOR brought us to around 110 megs.

Never had any huge issues. They do have alot of FW updates, so make sure you update to something recent (the newest for us had issues, so we are one version back (3.6)).

We have also just started using Veeam to do backups of all our VMs, which is also being stored on these. No problems with that either.

My one complaint on these (809u) is that they do not support jumbo frames. And also you cannot add in 10gb networking. We purchased a 1079 to test with, which does support 10gb, so moving forward for cheap shared storage, we may go with those.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How do you lie your 3220's?

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
Could someone help me out with a little clarification on how vNICs and vSwitch's interact with one another please?

Say I have a vSwitch and I have a pair of VMs each with a vNIC connected to the vSwitch.

Ignoring any OS limitations, what is the maximum throughput I could get between the two servers via their vNICs since the traffic is all within the same vSwitch please?

I'm assuming the type/model of vNIC plays a part but I've never been 100% clear on the differences - AIUI Flexible and E1000 are 1gbps and VMXNET is 10gbps?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bitch Stewie posted:

I'm assuming the type/model of vNIC plays a part but I've never been 100% clear on the differences - AIUI Flexible and E1000 are 1gbps and VMXNET is 10gbps?
Ignore the speed reported to the OS, it's not relevant to anything. Any of the emulated vNICs (E1000, etc.) will perform as quickly as the server can emulate them, but there's higher overhead and traffic still has to go through the whole virtual networking stack. The paravirtualized vNICs communicate directly with the hypervisor, and in the case of VMXNET3, can ferry data between VMs at the speed of shared memory.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Misogynist posted:

Ignore the speed reported to the OS, it's not relevant to anything. Any of the emulated vNICs (E1000, etc.) will perform as quickly as the server can emulate them, but the server will run them through the vSwitch. The paravirtualized vNICs communicate directly with the hypervisor, and in the case of VMXNET3, can ferry data between VMs at the speed of shared memory.

Thanks for the reply.

This is what's not so clear to me so far. So if I use, say, an E1000, you're saying the OS might report a 1gbps NIC but it can actually transfer data in/out of the vSwitch at greater than 1gbps?

I'm assuming by the time I get to using vSphere for the application I have in mind that some issue I read of with the VMXNET driver when used with that application will have been ironed out, and I'll have 10gbps pNIC connectivity in/out of the vSwitch, I just wasn't clear how the intra-vSwitch traffic works..

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!

Moey posted:

We are. iSCSI for all of them. They started out as our primary shared storage for VMs, and we are slowly migrating now to two Dell MD3220i (two separate clusters). Performance isn't anything to write home about, but between the four units, we are running around 45 VMs without any major complaints (nothing extremely IO intensive).

My old boss had the networking to "Port Trunking" with Balance-rr (Round-Robin). When we had this enabled, it would cap our throughput at around 10 megs. Switching to Balance XOR brought us to around 110 megs.

Never had any huge issues. They do have alot of FW updates, so make sure you update to something recent (the newest for us had issues, so we are one version back (3.6)).

We have also just started using Veeam to do backups of all our VMs, which is also being stored on these. No problems with that either.

My one complaint on these (809u) is that they do not support jumbo frames. And also you cannot add in 10gb networking. We purchased a 1079 to test with, which does support 10gb, so moving forward for cheap shared storage, we may go with those.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if it's worth the extra bucks for an QNAP 879 over an 859 or a thecus N8900 over an 8900V given that the next step up seems to be something like the dell md3220i type thing which is out of my budget and since we only run a couple of hosts and 6-8 VMs two of which are high I/O and will need to stay on local storage anyway.

Another couple quick host storage questions:
For a dell 610 with 6X SAS is RAID6 the most desirable drive config? I have a 610 with 4 drives in RAID10?
How much performance is lost to ESXi (4.1) with local drives over running the OS on bare metal?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

evil_bunnY posted:

How do you like your 3220's?

So far we have not had any real issues with them. We originally had some dumb netgear gb switches for our iSCSI that seemed to be causing issues. Once we replaced them with some managed wire speed switches (Dell 5548, and now switching to 6248) they seemed to fine.

I am currently configuring our second one to replace the first one, then the first one is getting re-deployed in the other cluster.

bob arctor posted:

Another couple quick host storage questions:
For a dell 610 with 6X SAS is RAID6 the most desirable drive config? I have a 610 with 4 drives in RAID10?
How much performance is lost to ESXi (4.1) with local drives over running the OS on bare metal?

Edit: I didn't read properly.

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 17, 2012

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bitch Stewie posted:

Thanks for the reply.

This is what's not so clear to me so far. So if I use, say, an E1000, you're saying the OS might report a 1gbps NIC but it can actually transfer data in/out of the vSwitch at greater than 1gbps?

I'm assuming by the time I get to using vSphere for the application I have in mind that some issue I read of with the VMXNET driver when used with that application will have been ironed out, and I'll have 10gbps pNIC connectivity in/out of the vSwitch, I just wasn't clear how the intra-vSwitch traffic works..

I have this sudden desire to test this.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Bitch Stewie posted:

I don't believe this is the case at all. It doesn't even make sense to me. The E1000 is an emulated 1Gb Intel NIC, I don't see how it could go faster.

In my mind the only reason to not use the VMXNET3 interface is for driver/compatibility issues.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I have this sudden desire to test this.

Using iperf between two of my VMs with VMXNET3 adapters gets me around 9Gb/s.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Wonder_Bread posted:

I don't believe this is the case at all. It doesn't even make sense to me. The E1000 is an emulated 1Gb Intel NIC, I don't see how it could go faster.
It does, sorry to ruin your day.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wonder_Bread posted:

Because nothing in the virtual hardware rate-limits it? It's easy enough to test with a ramdrive and dev/null

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wonder_Bread posted:

"Top link speed reported by the interface" seems like a pretty dumb flow control mechanism to me, even TCP windowing is better.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Noob question: I installed ESXi(?) on a spare server and used VMware standalone converter to convert a physical laptop to a VM on the ESXi server. I want to make another "instance" of that VM, is that possible? Can I just copy the one I already converted or do I have to re-convert the same laptop again (which took over 3 days)?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sleepstupid posted:

Noob question: I installed ESXi(?) on a spare server and used VMware standalone converter to convert a physical laptop to a VM on the ESXi server. I want to make another "instance" of that VM, is that possible? Can I just copy the one I already converted or do I have to re-convert the same laptop again (which took over 3 days)?
You can do a cold clone through the command line, then add it to your inventory through the Datastore Browser. When you start it up, it will ask you if you moved or copied the VM files.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Misogynist posted:

You can do a cold clone through the command line, then add it to your inventory through the Datastore Browser. When you start it up, it will ask you if you moved or copied the VM files.

You can copy it through the datastore browser in the free ESX too.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

You can copy it through the datastore browser in the free ESX too.

Any more info on this? I'm using the vShere Client to remotely connect to the ESXi server and I don't see any kind of "datastore browser".

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sleepstupid posted:

Any more info on this? I'm using the vShere Client to remotely connect to the ESXi server and I don't see any kind of "datastore browser".
You need to right-click your datastore (pick host, select Storage tab) and select Browse from the menu. I couldn't find it my first time using free ESXi either.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
OK, I found the Datastore browser, copied the existing files to a new folder, created a new VM and pointed it at the new folder. Now when I try to start the new VM I get a blue-screen during windows boot. Did I miss anything?

Thanks for all the help :)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Did you use the same scsi controller type?

You shouldn't have had to create a new vm, just remove it from inventory, copy the files, browse to the new location and right click->add to inventory on the vm config file.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sleepstupid posted:

OK, I found the Datastore browser, copied the existing files to a new folder, created a new VM and pointed it at the new folder. Now when I try to start the new VM I get a blue-screen during windows boot. Did I miss anything?

Thanks for all the help :)
Pretty tough to say with absolutely zero information provided about what the bluescreen actually says ;)

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
Anyone ever had any experience with Stratus Avance?

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

sanchez posted:

Did you use the same scsi controller type?

You shouldn't have had to create a new vm, just remove it from inventory, copy the files, browse to the new location and right click->add to inventory on the vm config file.

OK, did this and got the same blue-screen

Misogynist posted:

Pretty tough to say with absolutely zero information provided about what the bluescreen actually says ;)

I would love to tell you what it says but it's on the screen for virtually (see what I did there :P) a nano second and then it loops right back to the screen that lets you choose safe mode, Last good..., etc. None of those options produce a different result.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sleepstupid posted:

OK, did this and got the same blue-screen

I would love to tell you what it says but it's on the screen for virtually (see what I did there :P) a nano second and then it loops right back to the screen that lets you choose safe mode, Last good..., etc. None of those options produce a different result.

Sounds like something got dicked up in the transfer. Recopy maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Yeah I'm missing something. I tried recopying the files (which takes like an hour) and I'm getting the same result only this time neither VM will boot (I never checked the original one last time). They are both in a blue-screen loop. :cry: