Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."
Thinking of upgrading from my current 17" Viewsonic monitor to a 23", and have narrowed it down to either the Dell U2312hm or the Viewsonic VP2365-LED. I know the Dell is recommended in the OP, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Viewsonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Looks like a pretty good alternative to be honest, it's still e-IPS, has a height adjustable stand...

Honestly, it probably has the same panel. Even has a 3-year warranty. If you like Viewsonic then it's probably going to be fine. I have no experience with it though.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I'm finding it really hard to find a decent 27" monitor in the UK that has decent reviews for around the £200 mark, Dunno if i should just spring for a 24" monitor and get a better one.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

shrughes posted:

Too bad it's not 3840x2400.

QFHD with BAAAAAAARRRSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm finding it really hard to find a decent 27" monitor in the UK that has decent reviews for around the £200 mark, Dunno if i should just spring for a 24" monitor and get a better one.
From what I understand about UK pricing, the only thing you'd be able to consider at that price point would be a 1920x1080 TN screen, and those are generally not great to begin with. Even the Hazro lineup, which is considered a great price for a nice 27" monitor, is more than twice your price-range. Just isn't gonna happen. Either accept that you're gonna have to go with a budget 27" TN, you're gonna have to drop to a 24", or you're gonna have to come up with at least £400.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If the catleap we've been making GBS threads ourselves over is available in the UK, it might be attainable for not too much more than that.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Zhentar posted:

If the catleap we've been making GBS threads ourselves over is available in the UK, it might be attainable for not too much more than that.

I got A 27" Crossover from the ebay seller dreamseller. Cost £39.03 customs and took 2 weeks but for the price its awesome!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Would 3 6970s be enough to game on three Catleaps?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Sinestro posted:

Do you mean 2? I mean surely 3 would be one each and easy doable.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Sinestro posted:

Yes, it should do pretty darn well. If you haven't already bought them or you're not getting a particularly good deal, you might prefer some other option, but otherwise they should do fine.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

thegasman2000 posted:

Do you mean 2? I mean surely 3 would be one each and easy doable.

Yes I do. I'm on my phone right now. I have 2, but I am considering a third while they are cheap after the 7970.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Oh. Yeah, that's still pretty drat good. You might not get every single shiny (MSAA, HBAO/SSAO) in every game, but still good.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

fookolt posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/14/sharp-rolls-out-high-res-igzo-lcds-destined-for-tablets-laptops/

Good news for anyone else who is "stuck" at 2560x1600: there might be 32-inch 3840x2160 monitors coming our way soon :dance:
16:9 can gently caress right off. When do the real monitors come out?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

thegasman2000 posted:

I got A 27" Crossover from the ebay seller dreamseller. Cost £39.03 customs and took 2 weeks but for the price its awesome!

Seems almost too good to be true, just had a read of the OP's Korean budget bit. A few questions one DVI slot would love to use my xbox on it also so wondering if a DVI splitter would work? also do i just plug in my previous monitors power cable or do i need to order an adaptor?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Seems almost too good to be true, just had a read of the OP's Korean budget bit. A few questions one DVI slot would love to use my xbox on it also so wondering if a DVI splitter would work? also do i just plug in my previous monitors power cable or do i need to order an adaptor?

It comes with a power brick. Normal Kettle lead though! It has a single DVI cable with it and it doesn't have the 4 pins for the VGA.

I am running mine through a HDMI adapter and i am sure that would work from the Xbox. I have had some issues with splitting DVI (sometimes they need the same resolution) but for the price its worth buying 2! :)

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Might purchase it after I go to Canada but may try and pick up a cheap monitor while I'm over there if i can get out of base, if not I foresee me picking up a Korean one.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the advice and putting up with me display thread, I just placed an order for the Dell U2312HM on Newegg. A bit ahead of schedule but I wanted to grab it while it was on sale.

zerokunami
Apr 29, 2009
Got a BenQ XL2420T to play games on with some sweet 120 Hz goodness. I had never heard of BenQ but all the information online seemed to say that it was a pretty solid monitor for gaming. I wanted something with 120 Hz and I refused to buy that awful looking orange acer monitor on newegg.

http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/benq-xl2420t

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I have got myself in a muddle with monitor adapter cables... I keep trying to buy the cheapest cable to make my 27" monitor work on my Macbook Pro and it driving me nuts!

The Crossover (korean) Monitor I have only accepts DVI. Its the DVI with no VGA pins on it. I have a mini DP to DP, HDMI and DVI adapter and this runs my TV fine through HDMI. The DVI does not work at all. I obtained a HDMI to DVI adapter and this again doest run the monitor. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I bin both these adapters and buy an active mini DP to DVI adapter?

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

MonkeyLibFront posted:

This Asus is on sale at the moment, looks pretty decent for a 27" if you don't want to order a catleap from Korea.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lovely Treat posted:

This Asus is on sale at the moment, looks pretty decent for a 27" if you don't want to order a catleap from Korea.

You can't really compare a 1920x1080 TN panel to a 2560x1440 IPS panel

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

HalloKitty posted:

You can't really compare a 1920x1080 TN panel to a 2560x1440 IPS panel

Agreed!

27" 1080P displays are terrible if you actually want to use it as a monitor. The dot size is too big and you end up looking all over the screen because everything is just blown up.

A small TV/secondary video monitor, sure, but nowhere near the quality of a 1440P display.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

UndyingShadow posted:

Agreed!

27" 1080P displays are terrible if you actually want to use it as a monitor. The dot size is too big and you end up looking all over the screen because everything is just blown up.

A small TV/secondary video monitor, sure, but nowhere near the quality of a 1440P display.

I use a 32" 1080p tv as a primary monitor and this is not an issue. You would have to be RIGHT up on the screen to experience it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

thegasman2000 posted:

The Crossover (korean) Monitor I have only accepts DVI. Its the DVI with no VGA pins on it. I have a mini DP to DP, HDMI and DVI adapter and this runs my TV fine through HDMI. The DVI does not work at all. I obtained a HDMI to DVI adapter and this again doest run the monitor. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I bin both these adapters and buy an active mini DP to DVI adapter?

I can't give any firm information, but I can tell you that to run 2560x1440 over DVI you have to have a dual-link DVI. You're going to have to get an active dual-link DVI adapter of some sort.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Coredump posted:

I use a 32" 1080p tv as a primary monitor and this is not an issue. You would have to be RIGHT up on the screen to experience it.

I guess it's different for different people. I used a 1080P 27" Samsung monitor for 3 months and it drove me insane. I ended up getting a 24" 1920X1200 Dell and relegating the Samsung to movie duty.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Have there been any coupons/deals on the Dell 2412? I'm looking to buy at the end of the week and I saw $330 on their site w/o coupons.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Phone posted:

Have there been any coupons/deals on the Dell 2412? I'm looking to buy at the end of the week and I saw $330 on their site w/o coupons.
They were 305 shipped just a few days ago from newegg, so there is a chance they will be be 305 again. They are 339 now shipped now but remember newegg doesn't charge sales tax. Micro Center has em for 329.99. They were 369.99 just two weeks ago. I went with Micro Center because you can just exchange them if there is a problem, and indeed I had damaged and dead pixels, so it was more than worth the bit more in tax. It's a fun piece of kit. I love the lazy Susan stand they included with it.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
If I buy a Dell monitor from NewEgg do I still get the Dell " Premium Panel " warranty?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Found a coupon online: P?F3SSV7VMLXCL; 15% off of monitors (doesn't work on the U2410 and a few others).

U2412 comes out to $313.65 w/ free shipping.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Rinaldi posted:

If I buy a Dell monitor from NewEgg do I still get the Dell " Premium Panel " warranty?
Dell will take care of you, and with newegg there is no chance of losing the receipt.

Phone posted:

Found a coupon online: P?F3SSV7VMLXCL; 15% off of monitors (doesn't work on the U2410 and a few others).

I can't get this code to apply.

edit: Oh this is a Dell small business code...

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 16, 2012

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^

thegasman2000 posted:

I have got myself in a muddle with monitor adapter cables... I keep trying to buy the cheapest cable to make my 27" monitor work on my Macbook Pro and it driving me nuts!

You're gonna need

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2

or

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A

and a Dual-link DVI cable such as

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10209&cs_id=1020902&p_id=2407&seq=1&format=2

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

I managed to get the apple one for £55 on the bay. gently caress thats an expensive cable!

Can I run a splitter off that and have 2 different resolutions?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pretty sweet deal on the Dell U2412 today on SCAN:

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
You can also get one off Amazon for that price most days http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultrasharp-U2412M-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B005LNDPPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334667712&sr=8-1

(not having a pop at you Steakandchips, just thought if that's an unusual price for it, people might like to know)

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 17, 2012

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Phone posted:

How is this better than just buying a refurb off the Dell outlet? Just wondering if I'm looking at a different model, or refurbs are no good or something.

edit: looking at the U2412M for $279 on http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=222806&c=us&cs=22&l=en&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfh

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

I purchased a refurb 2412. It had backlight issues, and they replaced it as they would with a new monitor. No problems since then.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

weinus posted:

How is this better than just buying a refurb off the Dell outlet? Just wondering if I'm looking at a different model, or refurbs are no good or something.

edit: looking at the U2412M for $279 on http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=222806&c=us&cs=22&l=en&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfh

Purchased 3 of them through the outlet, no issues with the screen. My only qualm is that the stand on one of them is slightly different so they bottom out at different heights (about 0.5" difference).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'd like to get a 2412, but even if I had the money for a for a refurb, there isn't an equivalent Dell outlet here in Canada that sells them. :canada:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

weinus posted:

Going through the Small Business site gets you a standard 3 year warranty. It looks like the refurbs are 90 day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I have a question about display resolutions. I have my PC hooked up to a 32" with an hdmi cable, and the display options let me put the resolution up to 1920x1080. Way down on the resolution list, it shows 1280x720 and marks that as the "recommended" resolution. I've never had a monitor where the recommended wasn't the maximum resolution. Am I doing something wrong by going above that?