Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Oh wow I forgot all about that promo where DB, Punk & Ryder were all together as the champions. That really was great.

And I'm sure if Ryder did any of that in-ring stuff, he'd get yelled at by agents. That's not the role they want him in, they want him out there getting squashed then looking sad when Eve slaps him.

Like the guy isn't great in ring, but if anything he has proven that he knows what to do with his gimmick from his web show. I'm sure he would looove to bring that over to his role on Raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

He should strut around the ring. Break a hold if his hair gets messed up. Stop wrestling to hit on a girl in the front row. Something that sells his character as a Jersey Party boy.

Problem is "Jersey party boy" isn't really a babyface gimmick.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Karmine posted:

Then he should hit on kids in the front row, it would make their night just like when Bret Hart handed out the shades

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Karmine posted:

Too Cool were loving over and the difference between Too Cool and Zack Ryder is era. Not much else.

And seriously, people need to get out of this concept that there are some gimmicks that can't be a "babyface" gimmick or a "heel" gimmick. Anything can be a babyface gimmick.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

Too Cool were loving over and the difference between Too Cool and Zack Ryder is era. Not much else.

And seriously, people need to get out of this concept that there are some gimmicks that can't be a "babyface" gimmick or a "heel" gimmick. Anything can be a babyface gimmick.

Babyface racist gimmick in EWR killed my promotion.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Lone Rogue posted:

They danced with a fat guy. If Zack Ryder started dancing with Brodus Clay then we'd be in business.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Karmine posted:

They danced with a fat guy. If Zack Ryder started dancing with Brodus Clay then we'd be in business.

And we've suddenly found the way to save two careers.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

How would you play the Million Dollar Man/JBL/Del Rio aristocrat gimmick as a babyface?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lone Rogue posted:

Too Cool won a lot and was booked in storylines where they stood up to the McMahon-Helsmley regime.

Zack Ryder loses all the time and is booked in storylines where he is in love with a woman who takes advantage of him.

I'm coming off as some Ryder superfan, which I'm not, but I just don't understand people blaming the guy when it's clearly the WWE ruining yet another midcarder.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

How would you play the Million Dollar Man/JBL/Del Rio aristocrat gimmick as a babyface?

The less we can encourage fantasy booking the better.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flashy_mcflash posted:

Play him like Mr. Scrooge after the Three Ghosts. He now uses his enormous wealth to screw over heels.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

triplexpac posted:

Too Cool won a lot and was booked in storylines where they stood up to the McMahon-Helsmley regime.

Zack Ryder loses all the time and is booked in storylines where he is in love with a woman who takes advantage of him.

I'm coming off as some Ryder superfan, which I'm not, but I just don't understand people blaming the guy when it's clearly the WWE ruining yet another midcarder.

I don't deny the wwe has done a terrible job with ryder. My problem is the prevailing assumption its done ro punish him for getting over.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I don't know what would be worse: this booking being a punishment for Ryder, or WWE thinking that this is actually helping him in the long run

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Warren Buffett

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

triplexpac posted:

I don't know what would be worse: this booking being a punishment for Ryder, or WWE thinking that this is actually helping him in the long run

The Kane thing was awful but I do not mind the Eve stuff. The whole appeal of Ryder is that he is kind of a wripwreck style lovable loser. He SHOULD be getting pushed around by a cruel woman and falling for it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Booking him as punishment. If they are truly trying with him and failing, at least they are trying. If this has all been one elaborate way to punish a guy who got over against the wishes of WWE Creative and made light of it to get even more popular then that's a symptom of a terrible company.

I'll never understand it either. If I'm writing storylines for a wrestling program and one of the guys gets over on his own, shouldn't I be happy I now have another guy to push? I don't have to keep going back to the well? There's room for creativity?

It's so loving ridiculous.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Booking him as punishment. If they are truly trying with him and failing, at least they are trying. If this has all been one elaborate way to punish a guy who got over against the wishes of WWE Creative and made light of it to get even more popular then that's a symptom of a terrible company.

I'll never understand it either. If I'm writing storylines for a wrestling program and one of the guys gets over on his own, shouldn't I be happy I now have another guy to push? I don't have to keep going back to the well? There's room for creativity?

If you're writing storylines for WWE they are probably getting thrown out/heavily edited beyond your original idea/someone else is taking credit for them and you are made fun of for being so stupid by your boss.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Their current booking style is pretty much book 5 guys strongly at the expense of everyone else on the roster. It's like if you're not getting more than 10% of the airtime of a show you're in the running to job to someone who does. So I could see where they'd be annoyed that a guy they were going to offer up as a sacrificial lamb to one of their poster boys suddenly gets more over than 90% of them and now they look bad if they job him out so they've gotta push him.

But gently caress them for actually being dicks about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oatgan posted:

If you're writing storylines for WWE they are probably getting thrown out/heavily edited beyond your original idea/someone else is taking credit for them and you are made fun of for being so stupid by your boss.

Also the person who makes the final decision is legitimately a crazy person.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
In the Attitude Era, the writers were much better at showcasing a guy's strengths and masking his weaknesses. If he wasn't a super awesome wrestler, have him in mostly sketches and vice versa. Yes, it's great to have someone who is an all-around amazing performer in every aspect, but that just doesn't happen.

These days, it seems like the writers find a guy, see what he's worst at and put the spotlight on that weakness, thus making it impossible for the fans to take them seriously.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Writer Cath posted:

In the Attitude Era, the writers were much better at showcasing a guy's strengths and masking his weaknesses. If he wasn't a super awesome wrestler, have him in mostly sketches and vice versa. Yes, it's great to have someone who is an all-around amazing performer in every aspect, but that just doesn't happen.

These days, it seems like the writers find a guy, see what he's worst at and put the spotlight on that weakness, thus making it impossible for the fans to take them seriously.

Two problems: Since then they've closed down OVW and opened FCW, which is terrible at training guys, and the focus on TV has shifted onto big guys who most likely are meat-head bodybuilders or college football drop-outs looking to try something for easy money. Vince loves these guys for some reason and never, ever, ever wants them booked even looking the slightest bit weak. So what you wind up with is bullshit no one buys, like a seasons technical wrestler getting utterly bamboozled by his opponent's total mastery of moves like the bulldog, body strikes, and flying shoulder blocks.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
TNA and WWE both have guys in their employ that are there just to protect their spot, do as little work as possible, and collect a paycheck. The only difference is that in WWE's case most of them tend to be behind the scenes people, whereas most of TNA's are in front of the camera.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Grandpa Pap posted:

TNA and WWE both have guys in their employ that are there just to protect their spot, do as little work as possible, and collect a paycheck. The only difference is that in WWE's case most of them tend to be behind the scenes people, whereas most of TNA's are in front of the camera.

And yet, which one has more power over booking their respective company?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

Then he should hit on kids in the front row...

:stare:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Karmine posted:

give it a month ot two....

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Internet turning on Ryder is a sad display of just how much the WWE controls even "smark" reactions with their booking. If you think the brawling -> boot -> rough ryder formula match they've given Zack on Raw is the best he can do you should go watch some ECW matches.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Writer Cath posted:

In the Attitude Era, the writers were much better at showcasing a guy's strengths and masking his weaknesses.

In the Attitude Era the WWF didn't have writers.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

Vince Russo would disagree with you, sir. :colbert:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

yes it did

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So...who DID Gene LeBell ever beat?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CobiWann posted:

Seagal.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

CobiWann posted:

Peter Maivia

BAN DICKEYE posted:

yes it did

look man it had bookers!!!!!!!!!!!

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

LightsGameraAction posted:

Don't know if you've noticed, but Santino has actually been allowed a decent amount of offense in his matches, to come off as dominant, and to win repeatedly. Three things they haven't given Ryder in months.

Santino is also a surprisingly good wrestler outside of the whole comedy schtick.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

No he's actually a pretty awful worker.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Santino was horrible in OVW when his character was basically Russian Taz.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Santino I will say is really good at hitting all of his signature spots and has good timing.

Other than that though hasn't shown anything when it comes to a serious match.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Has Santino ever had a serious match?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When he first won th IC title off Umaga his charcter was basically "happy to be here and rock the IC belt", and those matches were boring.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Has Santino ever had a serious match?

OVW where he was terrible, then his early run after the debut upset win. He got exposed early on so he moved into comedy after a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Cardboard Box posted:

No he's actually a pretty awful worker.

He has an MMA background at least. I really wish they'd have done more with Kozlov's SAMBO background.

(I thought Santino was alright in OVW. :( )