Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
mindphlux where did your avatar go?

e: new loving page, mindphlux post so people can see how avatar-less you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Didn't he get banned recently?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Darval posted:

mindphlux where did your avatar go?

e: new loving page, mindphlux post so people can see how avatar-less you are

bartolimu keeps probating and banning me because he feels very strongly that I don't use The Appropriate Number Of Capital-Letters-Per-Post.

Internet. It's serious business.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Less bitching about your continual failure to follow forum rules, more cooking.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Very nice indeed.

Make Kraft mac n cheese. All by yourself.

Excuse me we make Kraft Dinner in this country.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

bartolimu posted:

bart vs mindflux

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm the toast (sorry Toast)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

ok, that's fine by me. I'm all about cooking.

:siren: bartolimu, in accordance with forum custom, I hereby challenge you to a GWS cookoff. :siren:

magnetic, my last bout, stands defeated in my wake. it's tussle time friendo.

the terms of our engagement - each of us create, document, and present a 3 course meal (courses can be whatever shape/size/format you please) centered around a theme ingredient, iron chef style. Ingredient is totally your choice. Due date, a month from now - May 17th, with a voting thread shortly after.

If I win, you stop taking the internet so seriously and agree to no longer probate/ban me in GWS for aesthetic posting choices related to capitalization, content, flagrant disregard of the formal grammatical structure of english (or german), et cetera.

If you win, I will agree internet forums such as GWS are, indeed, serious business worthy of regaling with all the effort laden trimmings of the Queen's English (and german), and will endeavour to commandeer said languages with the importance befitting such a serious setting.

Parley onword.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I'm singing the Kirk/Spock fight music right now. Da da DUN DUN DUN DUN...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This will be like in Y Tu Mamá También when Julio and Tenoch finally do it.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

mindphlux posted:

:siren: bartolimu, in accordance with forum custom, I hereby challenge you to a GWS cookoff. :siren:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I feel like it's not a proper GWS challenge without a callout thread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear Livejournal,
Spring is finally here in force, and it's time for a mass purging of crap I haven't looked at in too long. Puppy managed a small pile of stuff, so I went through, and culled everything from the kitchen that I haven't touched in forever (I really /don't/ need 4 pasta forks, 8 small bottles of cloves that my mum left behind, or that giant maple dowel that I only used but once or twice as a rolling pin).

Out went DVDs that I own in triplicate (Harry Potter came out on Blu-Ray, in the full series, with all the extras and such, and I bought the UK edition). Also out went video games that Puppy just didn't like (Lego Star Wars), or hasn't played (Tony Hawk; why the gently caress do we even have that?), or hasn't played since he got it (sorry, Kingdom Hearts).

I also added a bunch of books to the pile that I own on my Kindle, or didn't much care for the first time around. I'm also going to pitch a couple of back issues of Vogue that I had lying around for some reason. I haven't read Vogue in forever, and there's no reason to keep any around.

Hopefully, in the coming days, I can manage to get rid of even more, and give it away to people who will enjoy it. There's this thing called the Really Free Market that happens on the first of every month, but I'm equally happy for it to go to the thrift shops, like Housing Works or whatever.

Feels good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'm singing the Kirk/Spock fight music right now. Da da DUN DUN DUN DUN...

FFVI battle music o'er here.
DUN na na DUN na na DUN na na DUN na na DUN na na na

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYLvj5WrKAQ&feature=related

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007
How do you feel about using a juicer to make braising liquid? If I am braising short ribs, I usually use the normal, carrot, onion, celery, garlic. Then, when the liquid needs to be reduced, I strain all that stuff out (what a pain in the neck) and toss it. What if, instead of that, I juiced the veggies and just add their liquid.

I have a hard core centrifugal juicer, the pulp comes out dry. Would that bring all the flavors over without the pain in the neck straining of the liquid at the end?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

i shoot friendlies posted:

How do you feel about using a juicer to make braising liquid? If I am braising short ribs, I usually use the normal, carrot, onion, celery, garlic. Then, when the liquid needs to be reduced, I strain all that stuff out (what a pain in the neck) and toss it. What if, instead of that, I juiced the veggies and just add their liquid.

I have a hard core centrifugal juicer, the pulp comes out dry. Would that bring all the flavors over without the pain in the neck straining of the liquid at the end?

Why not just reduce and immersion blend the veggies with the liquid? That's what I do and it makes an amazing thick sauce. The idea of juicing the stuff sounds kind of gross really...

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Oh dear, what did I start

SYFY HYPHY where are those amazing gifs from?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
This excellent music video from Kyary Pamyu Pamyu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoK8DaJRDaM

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Reading about this throwdown in the morning; I now have West Side Story music stuck in my head.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
So I'm still not too sure about the blender hollandaise, but hollandaise in the puddle machine is pretty much falling-off-a-log easy and comes out just so.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

I feel like it's not a proper GWS challenge without a callout thread.

ok fine kenning. fine.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3479473

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

So I'm still not too sure about the blender hollandaise, but hollandaise in the puddle machine is pretty much falling-off-a-log easy and comes out just so.

Method?

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Rurutia posted:

Why not just reduce and immersion blend the veggies with the liquid? That's what I do and it makes an amazing thick sauce. The idea of juicing the stuff sounds kind of gross really...

Blend the veggies into the liquid? How can you possibly have a smooth rich sauce like that? All that cellulose just blended in. Has anyone else tried this?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Blend the veggies into the liquid? How can you possibly have a smooth rich sauce like that? All that cellulose just blended in. Has anyone else tried this?

If you braise the crap out of them then pass it through a chinois, should work.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah yeah, go ahead, it'll be great. Meat cooked in vegetable juice sounds gross.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Yeah yeah, go ahead, it'll be great. Meat cooked in vegetable juice sounds gross.

I have, in a pinch, seared then braised chicken leg quarters in V8. It was surprisingly good.

but I will never do it again if I don't have to.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Method?
Egg yolk, water, butter together in the puddle machine at 148 F/64 C for, I dunno, somewhere around 45 minutes. Shouldn't be that time sensitive because the eggs are never going to hit the curdling temperature, so it's not like doing scrambled eggs or softboiling them or whatever where plus or minus a minute and you have something completely different. Or at least that's my theory---maybe I just got lucky. Prep was pretty much nonexistent---broke the yolks in the bag, but didn't do anything otherwise to mix things up.

Coming out of the bath it looks like an oil slick, but any hand whisking immediately brings it together as a sauce. Thickens up as you go; I was using whole butter so this might have something to do with it, might behave differently with clarified. I added the lemon and adjusted with salt while whisking but before I had the consistency I wanted.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

pnumoman posted:

Fun video of a dude working in a bakery.

Nothing crazy or shocking, just commercial bread making set to a tune, baked by a guy who likes his job.

:unsmith: This is glorious. The music is fun but watching someone happy at their job is great. Also, gently caress all low-carb diets ever forever and ever. Look at all the breaaaaaaddddd.

It can't possibly be bad for you, it was made with love (and thumping tunes).

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

Doesn't all braising happen in veggie juice, one way or another? I use equal parts red wine and beef stock, and then load it up with roughly chopped carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. The juice and flavor comes out of those veggies. Does anyone here make a braising liquid that does not include veggies?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Does anyone here make a braising liquid that does not include veggies?

Yes.

(Animal stock and wine are oft used braising liquids, for instance.)

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 18, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
And Chinese red cooking sauce, which is basically soy, sugar, spices, and wine.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doesn't all braising happen in veggie juice, one way or another? I use equal parts red wine and beef stock, and then load it up with roughly chopped carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. The juice and flavor comes out of those veggies. Does anyone here make a braising liquid that does not include veggies?

someone didn't get the sarcasm... :rolleyes:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

someone didn't get the sarcasm... :rolleyes:

I'd totally eat your V8 meat juice grav.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Crossposting from bart's ancient cookbook thread:

I'm a sick, terrible person.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

I do it every time I make a pot roast or roast chicken and yes, it works beautifully. Sometimes you have to thin it down a little with stock. I add butter at the end for gloss.

Here is a picture of a sauce I made that way with a pork roast. I think the veggies involved were mirepoix, potatoes, and tomatoes. (Please ignore the sides, canned peas are one of those things I occasionally get nostalgic for because it's all I had growing up.)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
From a DC lunch truck today: fontina/parmesan mac & cheese with slow-roasted pork, broccoli rabe, and olive oil toasted breadcrumbs on top. Good lunch.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

From a DC lunch truck today: fontina/parmesan mac & cheese with slow-roasted pork, broccoli rabe, and olive oil toasted breadcrumbs on top. Good lunch.

Ugggg, I hate you. I think I'd rather go hungry than hit up the bad deli next door. NJ, why no awesome food trucks?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dear E/N, today I almost forgot my manners!

I was walking up the stairs this morning, looking at my iPhone 4s, because it is really pretty, and I like to caress it to such an extend that it is almost taking over from my penis as the favourite object to hold in my hand and wave menacingly at random people at meetings.

However - I was walking up these stairs, not holding the handrail, and then one HR employee told me that "That is not 'safe'" (she used the english word, because apparantly safe in Danish would be an unsafe word to use).

I looked up, a bit confused after my adoration of the object in my hand, and said "excuse me?"

She said "I said - that is not 'safe', holding your phone and walking at the same time!", having a facial expression that cycled between pleased with herself, contempt for my obvious incompliance to company rules, smug and passive aggressive..

I looked confused at her - the fact that she had corrected my behaviour still not registering with me.

..and then it hit me - she was trying to inform me that I was hazarding my 'safety', and setting a bad example, possibly incurring cost on the company by stupidly falling down the stairs, and possibly breaking my neck or something like that (now - I am actually the guy who're supposed to implement safety systems, and I know what safety systems are about, and they are most definately not about some middle aged woman, who're upset that her tubes are withering inside her body, and her monthly flow drying up before she can get a replacement kid for that ADHD riddled little gently caress that she got the first time around while drunk and huffing glue).

So at miss for any retort that was somewhat snazzy, snappy, sassy or even funny... I told her "Shut the gently caress up!" She looked like she was going to have a stroke!

Then I looked down at my phone again, and took two steps up the stairs... But I stopped, because I felt so goddamn guilty.. did my mother raise her son to be such a rude bastard, such an rear end in a top hat as to do something like that?

So I turned around and looked at her, the somewhat purple teint she had amassed, and the clearly throbbing vein at her temple (sp?) and said "Well - I'm sorry!"

She looked a bit pleased, and expectant at that, and I continued "What I meant to say was - would you please shut the gently caress up!"

Having corrected the situation I could happily go on with my morning, and I didn't trip once, having been warned to watch my step!

Today was a good day!

Tomorrow I have to talk to HR again, they brighten the lives of everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Ahahaha, I love your updates on corporate life, HH.

Stick it to the (wo)man!