Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Just finished season 1 of Breaking Bad, and I'm still kinda on the fence. It's pretty brilliantly acted and directed, but it makes me downright uncomfortable to watch. It started easing up on the stranglehold a bit after the first few episodes, but only a little bit. This might be about the grimmest show I've ever watched.

First season ended in kind of a weird place; I feel like the scene in episode 6 where Walter and Tuco come to an understanding would've been a much better place to leave off, and the last episode was too busy introducing possible things that could go wrong without ever really following through on any of them.

Still, I promised myself I'd at least watch through season 2 before I officially decide it's Not For Me, and I'm invested in it enough to want to find out what happens next. I might have to spend the entire time forcing my body out of a cringe but I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 1 suffered from the writer's strike - it was originally meant to be 9 episodes, I believe, and presumably not end in such an odd way. Also, while it's still great, the first season is definitely the weakest. It gets stronger every season, imo.

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Bown posted:

Season 1 suffered from the writer's strike - it was originally meant to be 9 episodes, I believe, and presumably not end in such an odd way. Also, while it's still great, the first season is definitely the weakest. It gets stronger every season, imo.

It's a good thing it was cut short too, since they originally planned to end the season by killing off Jesse (spoiler tagged since it reveals that something doesn't happen).

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Breaking Bad was pretty good in season 1, but season 2's great and I'm starting season 3 and it's even better, so...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Going through Mad Men again. I've already seen the first two seasons a few years ago, so I'm rewatching them before I start on 3+.

Berkeloid posted:

It's a good thing it was cut short too, since they originally planned to end the season by killing off Jesse (spoiler tagged since it reveals that something doesn't happen).

I'd be interested in hearing more about what was originally planned.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Knee deep into season 4, I would say that Breaking Bad really comes into its own in season 3. 1-2 are still pretty good though.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I binged through the first season of Game of Thrones right after I finished the first book, and it was a pretty interesting experience. My mind kept getting caught up on the changes between the two, but man, is some of the casting phenomenal. Iain Glen has actually made me like Jorah more than I liked him in the books. It's incredibly enjoyable, though, and I can see it getting somewhat difficult to follow if you haven't read the books.

I've also been watching Breaking Bad steadily, but I've had to do it in bite-size chunks instead of binges. I find myself unable to take the grimness for long stretches of time, and the intensity is just off the charts. It almost becomes unenjoyable and unbearable, which is why I like it so much.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

Knee deep into season 4, I would say that Breaking Bad really comes into its own in season 3. 1-2 are still pretty good though.

The show really does get better once they move away from the concept of Walt solving crime problems through the magic of chemistry and made it more about Walt being a hugely hosed up person. Mad Men went through a similar transformation when it become less about the plot and setting (Don's past, the 60s, etc) and more about the characters.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Currently watching Downton Abbey (season 1 bluray) with family, great show so far. Was a bit hesitant to watch it since I figured it was BBC/PBS "high drama", but I was very wrong. Kids have gotten pretty bored and wander off, but wife and myself have enjoyed it. Having watched The Tudors, Borgias, and Game of Thrones its interesting to see another slice of life from a different period (1912-) plays out for "the aristocracy". In many ways its pretty amazing how life is so similar to our day to day lives today. Its also amazing how... white... everyone is on the show, and its difficult to comprehend how much it mattered who you parents were could be back then in.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Just blew through REEEEEVENGEEEEEEEEEEEE :argh: in a couple days. I didn't realize how much I needed a campy, fun show to watch and just not think about how little sense some things make on a show (I still do this regardless). It's a fun show, and I'm looking forward to when it comes back on the air.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Going through Mad Men again. I've already seen the first two seasons a few years ago, so I'm rewatching them before I start on 3+.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what was originally planned.

I haven't started this season yet because I don't really feel like I want to. I watched seasons 1-4 during the time they've been off the air, and I feel that the quality of each consecutive season to be worse. I love the characters, and the era, but the writing is just loving mystifying. It never goes anywhere. Also, January Jones is pretty much the worst actress on TV.

I'll probably start catching up in the next couple weeks, but... yeah.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I just watched every single episode of Archer. And I loved it.

I've been dodging goon-recommended animation because, well yeah. Archer hit the spot immediately and I'm really happy I gave it a chance.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm rewatching Supernatural on Netflix. I understand that shows have to change some of the music because of licensing issues, but this is the first show that it really bothers me. I remember recognizing a ton a sweet classic rock songs on the show, and after getting through the first season on my rewatch it seems like it was all replaced with generic rock that I am not familiar with. It feels like they took out like a third of the charm of the show. Eye of the Tiger better still be in here or I will not watch the show again unless I get my hands on the dvds.

Music issues aside though, Supernatural is just as good as it was the first time around.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

pigdog posted:

It's true, he's bad, and his family later in the series is even more useless.

However, you don't watch Deadwood for him, you're watching it for Al Swearengen and the rest of the cast. Stuff they do gets progressively more awesome as the series goes on.

His character is pretty lame compared to the rest of the cast, but after watching him in Justified I don't think it's because he's not a solid actor.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dvorak posted:

I haven't started this season yet because I don't really feel like I want to. I watched seasons 1-4 during the time they've been off the air, and I feel that the quality of each consecutive season to be worse. I love the characters, and the era, but the writing is just loving mystifying. It never goes anywhere. Also, January Jones is pretty much the worst actress on TV.

I'll probably start catching up in the next couple weeks, but... yeah.

I got slightly bored of Mad Men in seasons 3 and 4 but I'm liking 5 so far. Especially if you think January Jones sucks.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Finished season 4 of Six Feet Under and all I have to say about that ending is holy gently caress, I did not see the plot twist of Lisa and her brother having an incestuous relationship (at least I think it was, but maybe I was wrong) together while she was married to Nate. I also didn't think that he would shoot himself that quickly after admitting it to Nate . I have a feeling that the last season is going to be the heaviest and I'm ready for it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

screenwritersblues posted:

Finished season 4 of Six Feet Under and all I have to say about that ending is holy gently caress, I did not see the plot twist of Lisa and her brother having an incestuous relationship (at least I think it was, but maybe I was wrong) together while she was married to Nate. I also didn't think that he would shoot himself that quickly after admitting it to Nate . I have a feeling that the last season is going to be the heaviest and I'm ready for it.

It was her brother in-law

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

It was her brother in-law

Well, I guess I missed it totally.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
I just got streaming Netflix, so re-binged my way through DS9 and I'm currently going through Farscape.

Haven't decided what's next, but I'm only in the second season of Farscape, so I have two more and change to go.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

screenwritersblues posted:

Six Feet Under

The scene of Nate burying Lisa is amazing. As is the last scene of the series. I will say after watching Six Feet Under it made me excited for True Blood since Ball was doing it. Man was I ever disappointed.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Game of Thrones. I read all five of the books currently out and was unable to see the first season on HBO, so I went out and bought the Blu-ray version of Season 1. loving awesome. Plus, the commentaries make it even better.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Sort of simultaneously going through The Unit, Nikita, and Brotherhood. All very good so far, The Unit got a lot better during the second season over the first. Still in season one on the other two.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally caught up in Breaking Bad.

It's a good show. A very good show! It was always pretty good but I feel it really came into its own sometime during season 3.

However I can't but feel that every now and then there are a few too many...coincidences. A lot of little buttefly effect moments that lead to huge events, where I'm left thinking "Well, it's awfully convenient that happened."

Also the season 4 finale, while good, had at least one rather over-the-top scene that I felt didn't really fit BB. Those who have seen it probably know what I mean.

kgognaun
Oct 18, 2011
Freaking Friday Night Lights. I've watched the series about a dozen times and I still love it. The rise and fall and rise and fall of Tim Riggins, my incredible man crush on Coach, Smash fighting for his career, etc. What an amazing show

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
House of Lies, in a 24 hour period. I can't get enough of Don Cheadle doing all the wrong things to get the result. It's like a more ruthless, money-driven version of House in the businesss world. With the 30 minute format it's pretty drat snappy, too.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

jfballin posted:

All very good so far, The Unit got a lot better during the second season over the first. Still in season one on the other two.

Urgh this show. It started out as a decent show. Then for me as the seasons wore on I found myself just fast-forwarding through the wife bits cause they were lame and boring as F-U-C-K.

Then the action bits even got stupid. Be warned.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

jfballin posted:

The Unit got a lot better during the second season over the first. Still in season one on the other two.

Don't watch season 4. Seriously. One of the episodes involves the Spear of Destiny. It's loving awful.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Urgh this show. It started out as a decent show. Then for me as the seasons wore on I found myself just fast-forwarding through the wife bits cause they were lame and boring as F-U-C-K.

Then the action bits even got stupid. Be warned.

My suspicions were high with the conclusion of season 2 and the whole CIA conspiracy plot, but the wife stuff hasn't been too bad thus far.

Flatscan posted:

One of the episodes involves the Spear of Destiny. It's loving awful.

Now how could that be bad? :)

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

oldpainless posted:

Game of Throne spoilers:

Holy poo poo they killed off Ned Stark! My wife made me pause it and we talked about it for five minutes how he was the best character. Also, it pissed us off that the whole season builds to these huge battles and we aren't shown any of it. Tyrion's battle, not shown. Jamie Lannister's fight and capture, not shown. And it felt like some of the finale was wasted on other stuff I don't care about. The Imp's whore getting some background, the old Lord in the castle pretending to be feeble. I mean, I don't mind more characterization but don't do it in the last episode with a huge battle to fight! I like how so much was set up for the second season like the journey north of the Wall and the dragons being born but it doesn't "feel" like this was a season finale. Maybe if somehow Stark's death could be the end of the season. Like the execution and then roll credits I'd feel like it ended on a higher note. I loved the season, but I'm just a little let down by the finale. Also no "bad" characters died while we loving lost not only Stark but the fencing teacher. I liked him! :mad:

friend of mine watched all of of ep1 before someone gleefully spoiled the entirety of season 1/2 for her.

I read the books first, and I"m not sure I wouldn't have rather just waited for the series after all.

It never said syrio forel died.... (or I'm hoping anyway)

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Stupid netflix and needing something to listen to while working has me watching prison break all over again.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Thanks to the forums, I got into Breaking Bad last year, and I was blown away by the S4 finale. I don't understand how anyone couldn't be. It was some of the best television of all time.

Next up, thanks to the forums, are the following series I've never seen in the following order, unless I'm encouraged otherwise: The Walking Dead, The Wire, and eventually The Shield, The Sopranos, and BSG.

Or maybe I'll coast through The Venture Brothers again and absorb its brilliance yet another time. I can't believe SA isn't packed to the brim with Venture Brothers fans.

Also...

kgognaun posted:

Freaking Friday Night Lights. I've watched the series about a dozen times and I still love it. The rise and fall and rise and fall of Tim Riggins, my incredible man crush on Coach, Smash fighting for his career, etc. What an amazing show
Yes. All of these things. Also Vince Howard.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Doctor Candiru posted:

Next up, thanks to the forums, are the following series I've never seen in the following order, unless I'm encouraged otherwise: The Walking Dead

Do not do this to yourself. You'll just become a joyless automaton, waiting episode after episode for something to happen, but nothing ever will. Having said that, the first few episodes were pretty good.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Doctor Candiru posted:

Next up, thanks to the forums, are the following series I've never seen in the following order, unless I'm encouraged otherwise: The Walking Dead, The Wire, and eventually The Shield, The Sopranos, and BSG.

I would suggest watching in this order instead:

Wire (I'm rewatching now!)
BSG
Sopranos
Rome
Deadwood
Shield
Walking Dead (you can literally fast forward 50%+ of most episodes and not miss a thing)

not exactly ordering by quality, but instead genre so you can mix things up a bit. I also, for some weird reason, like to interleave shows - so I'm rewatching The Wire and Rome at the same time, and loving it. You may want to also add Tudors, Downton Abbey, and Borgias to your list.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Doctor Candiru posted:

Or maybe I'll coast through The Venture Brothers again and absorb its brilliance yet another time. I can't believe SA isn't packed to the brim with Venture Brothers fans.

There was at one time a pretty big VB thread I think but it hasn't been on TV in quite awhile (the Shallow Gravy mini movie thing was what, a year ago?) so I don't think it's around anymore.

I really need to pick up the Blu-rays sometime :negative:

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

The Duke posted:

There was at one time a pretty big VB thread I think but it hasn't been on TV in quite awhile (the Shallow Gravy mini movie thing was what, a year ago?) so I don't think it's around anymore.

I really need to pick up the Blu-rays sometime :negative:
Yeah, but the point I want to make is that the mythology behind The Venture Brothers is far deeper and more intelligent than the mythology behind Lost -- that's not saying that Lost's mythology is weak, but VB is a perfect show.

Although that's probably more of a reflection of the freedom that Doc and Jackson get from Adult Swim, compared to the Lost creators' constraint by a huge network.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Just finished off Breaking Bad, dead lord how did I avoid this show for so long? Up next is Spaced, G.I. Joe: Renegades, and Transformers: Prime.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Going to start Southland and The Shield. It's going to be cop month!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've got a problem. I think I've already seen the majority of shows people talk about on here, at least types that have ongoing serialized story arcs. I'm not picky on genre at all, I just enjoy a show I can watch/binge whatever with an involving story.

I'm not going to bother trying to list everyone, but I haven't seen Damages yet and I think I remember hearing good things. Is it a decent show? Serialized story arcs?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Candiru posted:

Yeah, but the point I want to make is that the mythology behind The Venture Brothers is far deeper and more intelligent than the mythology behind Lost -- that's not saying that Lost's mythology is weak, but VB is a perfect show.

Although that's probably more of a reflection of the freedom that Doc and Jackson get from Adult Swim, compared to the Lost creators' constraint by a huge network.

There are quite a few goons who are fans of VB, it's just that the ridiculous multi-year stretches between seasons tend to either sour folks on the show, or just make people forget that it's a show that still exists, complete with new episodes being made, that you can watch a couple of years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Flatscan posted:

Don't watch season 4. Seriously. One of the episodes involves the Spear of Destiny. It's loving awful.

Oh yeah, and they got that female member.

"Sure, we are a super secret organization where even the slightest utterance of our existence gets you fired and/or possibly murdered, where only President and maybe five other guys in the government even slightly suspect our true purposes...but sure, random military/secret agent chick, since you asked you can totally be part of our operation! :downs:"

Yeah, I stopped watching few episodes after that.