Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
They just lean them back because the motors are usually tall. I've always found that two, six inch extensions with a swivel in the middle gets those rear bank plugs pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

They just lean them back because the motors are usually tall. I've always found that two, six inch extensions with a swivel in the middle gets those rear bank plugs pretty easy.

Try that on a Ford 3.8 (ie, 90s Taurus).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

opengl128 posted:

I looked up the procedure for changing the plugs on the girlfriend's 1MZ and stopped reading at removing the intake manifold. gently caress that, it only has 120k on it.

Same thing needs to be done when the timing belt is replaced on the 1MZ.

It's an interference engine, and she's about 30k overdue if it hasn't been done yet. :ohdear:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

Which way is your hood hinged?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Not looking forward to doing the plugs on my van. Anyone familiar with the Dustbusters knows what I'm talking about.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
This thing has been sitting close to my work for a couple of weeks now. I'm kinda wondering if it just landed in that spot, cause I have a hard time seeing it limp there on its own.

You're probably gonna need an alignment, buddy.

The fun part is the Swedish plates (I'm in Denmark). Cars are much, much cheaper in Sweden, so some people will illegally drive a Swedish plated car in Denmark. This is a biiiig nono. If you get caught driving a foreign car as a danish national, without the foreign owner being physically in the car, your fine is twice the tax and registration you'd theoretically owe. For the car pictured, we're probably talking somewhere between 50k and 100k USD. Needless to say, only people with little to lose do this. (Or fuckoff rich people who don't give a poo poo.)

So in conclusion, that car was probably crashed with someone driving it who very much shouldn't have, and that's why it's just sitting.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sideways into a concrete divider/median/barrier.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
looks more like someone ran into it while it was parked there. I would see that on busy streets with parking all the time in long beach. Most were probably hit and runs too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

looks more like someone ran into it while it was parked there. I would see that on busy streets with parking all the time in long beach. Most were probably hit and runs too.
I think you're right. See the hub cap fragment in the first and debris under the car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

At least it didn't get pushed into the tree. :unsmith:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bolind posted:

The fun part is the Swedish plates (I'm in Denmark). Cars are much, much cheaper in Sweden, so some people will illegally drive a Swedish plated car in Denmark. This is a biiiig nono. If you get caught driving a foreign car as a danish national, without the foreign owner being physically in the car, your fine is twice the tax and registration you'd theoretically owe. For the car pictured, we're probably talking somewhere between 50k and 100k USD. Needless to say, only people with little to lose do this. (Or fuckoff rich people who don't give a poo poo.)

So in conclusion, that car was probably crashed with someone driving it who very much shouldn't have, and that's why it's just sitting.

What am I missing here? Could you please step me through why that fine is real-estate grade scary?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

General_Failure posted:

What am I missing here? Could you please step me through why that fine is real-estate grade scary?

Owning/driving cars in Denmark is outrageously expensive. Most of their cost is in taxes. Similar reason why their gas is $10/gallon right now.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^not entirely true. Gas is by and large the same price across most of Europe. Makes sense, otherwise people would buy it across the border in massive quantities. This price, however, is around double of the US, and Australia/NZ. Gas prices, especially given our purchasing power, isn't the killer.

Cars, however, are *very* heavily taxed. I think only Norway can sorta compete. The popular saying is "buy one, pay for three", although the scale is quite progressive. Smaller cars, like the Fiat 500, VW Up, Toyota Aygo and siblings etc. enjoy only about 30% tax, while full sized cars quickly pass the 100% mark.

I've stolen this figure from a recent op-ed piece on this subject. These are the prices in five different countries for a car, which is priced at DKK 200000 out the factory door. (all prices in DKK, 1 USD is roughly 5.50 DKK):

pre:
Country        Pre-tax price  VAT    Registration  Total

Denmark        200000         50000  392700        642700
Finland        200000         44000   48800        292800
Sweden         200000         50000       0        250000
Germany        200000         38000       0        238000
Great Britain  200000         35000       0        235000
Granted, DKK 200000 (about USD 35k) is at the nicer end of cars, but not in the extreme at all. I just checked, and a brand new BMW 520i Touring (smallest gas engine available) is DKK 643500.

Note, that we also have a quite large yearly road tax (similar to the Brits, I gather) which is calculated based on fuel economy, and range from very little (my 118i at a nominal 16.9 km/l is only about USD 300 a year) to well over USD 2000 for the thirsty segment.

If there's interest, I can start a thread about these crazy shenanigans, how it all got here, and what effects it has... it's actually all quite fascinating, if it wasn't so loving depressing.

Edit: to actually answer the question of the poster above: the reason why these fines are so high is due to the amount of money "at stake". Trying to cheat this system is very much tax evasion, which I guess should be dealt with harshly (otherwise we're Greece or Italy all of the sudden.) You can disagree with the rules, but everybody has to follow them, otherwise the poo poo hits the fan.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I am confused by "registration", in the US that's something you need to pay for yearly (well, every 1, 2, or 3 years now, depending on the state). I can't imagine paying double the price of the vehicle every year. Do the VAT and registration prices appropriately follow the depreciation value of the vehicle, ie if the first owner buys it at 20,000 and sells it at 4,000, years later, how are the VAT and registration updated? By using the actual sale price?

That's a fraud area in the US, as the "official" price that changed hands is what's written on the title, so a handshake deal could be for considerably more, but tax is paid on the "official" price.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, the semantics could probably use a bit of improvement:

"Registration" = single time fee you pay to get your car registered when you first import it. Cars that for some reason don't need to go on the road (full time race car for instance) don't need this. This tax/fee is obviously "written off" over the life of the vehicle, but the next guy who buys the car used obviously also pays a ton more than he would in other countries. Eventually, like in all places, the car is worth zero and taken to the wreckers.

"Road Tax" = yearly tax that is paid at all times when the car is plated and on the road. In the old days this was based on vehicle weight, and was a tax for the wear the vehicle put on the road. These days it's based on fuel economy, and goes from almost nothing on 20-ish km/l to about USD 3000 when you hit 5 km/l. Numbers for diesels are a bit higher as they usually have higher MPG numbers.

TLDR; We gently caress you over and then we gently caress you over again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So... I could skip that "registration" entirely if I got a Landie and just drove beside the roads everywhere I went, yeah? :razz:

With that in mind, tell me about your trespass laws.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

I am confused by "registration", in the US that's something you need to pay for yearly (well, every 1, 2, or 3 years now, depending on the state). I can't imagine paying double the price of the vehicle every year. Do the VAT and registration prices appropriately follow the depreciation value of the vehicle, ie if the first owner buys it at 20,000 and sells it at 4,000, years later, how are the VAT and registration updated? By using the actual sale price?

That's a fraud area in the US, as the "official" price that changed hands is what's written on the title, so a handshake deal could be for considerably more, but tax is paid on the "official" price.

That massive "registration fee" is a 1-time tax for registering a new vehicle. We've got a yearly registration fee too ..ohh, yeah and "Green"-taxes too.

You can add to the equation that most people being able to afford nice cars pay a 55-60% income tax.

On the plus side: If you get a seizure or a stroke when receiving your tax bill, we've got totally free health care.

/Beaten by Hr. Bolind.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

bolind posted:

This thing has been sitting close to my work for a couple of weeks now. I'm kinda wondering if it just landed in that spot, cause I have a hard time seeing it limp there on its own.

:words:

Can you just go ahead and pull the S85 from this? (Along with the ECU and associated wiring harness..)

I'll pay shipping.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

bolind posted:

Yeah, the semantics could probably use a bit of improvement:

"Registration" = single time fee you pay to get your car registered when you first import it. Cars that for some reason don't need to go on the road (full time race car for instance) don't need this. This tax/fee is obviously "written off" over the life of the vehicle, but the next guy who buys the car used obviously also pays a ton more than he would in other countries. Eventually, like in all places, the car is worth zero and taken to the wreckers.

"Road Tax" = yearly tax that is paid at all times when the car is plated and on the road. In the old days this was based on vehicle weight, and was a tax for the wear the vehicle put on the road. These days it's based on fuel economy, and goes from almost nothing on 20-ish km/l to about USD 3000 when you hit 5 km/l. Numbers for diesels are a bit higher as they usually have higher MPG numbers.

TLDR; We gently caress you over and then we gently caress you over again.

That's helpful, thanks.

In the US, we refer to your "registration" as "tax and title" or "license" fees, and your yearly "road tax" is what we refer to as "registration".

Hence the pants-wetting when you said that registration fees were 2x+ the original cost of the car. :suicide:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bolind posted:

If there's interest, I can start a thread about these crazy shenanigans, how it all got here, and what effects it has... it's actually all quite fascinating, if it wasn't so loving depressing.

I would be kind of interested to read a thread like that. I also understand the depressing part. It's gotten to the point here where whenever police set up their roadblocks they are harvesting large amounts of money catching lots of people with unregistered vehicles because many can't afford to pay the annual registration costs, which I can understand. If they get caught the fine is roughly at where 1 year of registration would be, so if they don't get caught in a year it's a net gain.
the government will offer a discount on part of the registration fees under certain circumstances but like any government subsidy for lower income earners it's small and pointless. On the other hand they love giving tax rebates for larger schemes (household solar, gas hot water, LPG conversion for cars (Yes I know that trap has already been set and triggered by them now) which are usually $1000+ and totally refunded so they aren't incentivising any of those filthy poors to get gifts only available for their favourite, more profitable people.

Cynical, maybe. But they are as crooked as they come too. That reminds me, did the soulless ginger bitch actually get her pay rise through? If so, then she is pulling in more than Obama. I guess if I were a puppet positioned to be at the focal point of a nation worth of hatred I'd want a good pay packet too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bolind posted:

and goes from almost nothing on 20-ish km/l to about USD 3000 when you hit 5 km/l.

Suddenly my yearly registration sounds loving cheap. And I was bitching about it going up $10 this year (moved to a new county).

edit: VVVV yearly inspection if you live in an emissions county (which is pretty much every county around a metro area) is $39.75. $14.50 in non-emissions counties.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 18, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

PA's is $36/yr.

Of course, the entirely separate inspection runs $70.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

thelightguy posted:

PA's is $36/yr.

Inspections are priced by individual shops. I can usually get it done for $40 or less.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

thelightguy posted:

PA's is $36/yr.

Pffft, move to one of our 6 non-emissions counties. Or have someone who lives in one own your vehicle. Is nice.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I keep the Fairlane registered over the border because it is cheaper. that still costs me... um... I think it's just shy of $600 p/a.
I can't get away with doing that for the VW. When I go to re-register it in total it'll probably cost me about $1100 :( That's for a 37 year old 1.8L vehicle.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

some texas redneck posted:

Suddenly my yearly registration sounds loving cheap. And I was bitching about it going up $10 this year (moved to a new county).

edit: VVVV yearly inspection if you live in an emissions county (which is pretty much every county around a metro area) is $39.75. $14.50 in non-emissions counties.

That's it?!
I pay $85 a year in Maine for my stupid base model 89.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

General_Failure posted:

Cynical, maybe. But they are as crooked as they come too. That reminds me, did the soulless ginger bitch actually get her pay rise through? If so, then she is pulling in more than Obama. I guess if I were a puppet positioned to be at the focal point of a nation worth of hatred I'd want a good pay packet too.

Trap sprung, LNP supporter spotted.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Trap sprung, LNP supporter spotted.

They are just as evil. It's like having to choose between a turd sandwich and a giant douche.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Amusingly my 3 tonne landcruiser is the same rego as a commodore station wagon- 6cyl station wagon. It's still ~$800 a year tho, that's rego and compulsory 3rd party bodily injury insurance combined.

My old red hilux was ~$1000 a year last renewal because it's considered a "commercial vehicle" because of the tray on it. It's never carried a commercial load in its life, but you cant not pay the extra even if you remove the tray!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Ferremit posted:

Amusingly my 3 tonne landcruiser is the same rego as a commodore station wagon- 6cyl station wagon. It's still ~$800 a year tho, that's rego and compulsory 3rd party bodily injury insurance combined.

My old red hilux was ~$1000 a year last renewal because it's considered a "commercial vehicle" because of the tray on it. It's never carried a commercial load in its life, but you cant not pay the extra even if you remove the tray!

Tray?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sponge! posted:

Tray?

Load bed. Basically a flat bed instead of a normal truck bed, I think. Or it may just be a bed, since it's a Hilux.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Edit: Who cares

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Right on the nose there. My VW is considered to be a light goods vehicle and is classed as such. For whatever reason it falls in the absolute highest bracket for cost. Yeah, nobody misremembered. It's a camper. The authorities see it as a panelvan and therefore a non passenger commercial vehicle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

You can do 3 years now which is awesome.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
Me: "Yay! 20 new posts of mechanical carnage"

*clicks thread*

"...."

:ughh:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sorry, you got financial carnage instead.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, that turned into a bit of a derail. I'll start a separate thread when I get a free moment. Now back to your regular scheduled mechanical carnage!

ACEofsnett posted:

Can you just go ahead and pull the S85 from this? (Along with the ECU and associated wiring harness..)

I'll pay shipping.

Sadly, it was gone this morning, otherwise I'd totally be there for you with the engine hoist and whatnot. (I doubt you'll find that engine in there, though, it's probably just a wannabe M5.)

bolind fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 18, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Pucker Factor: :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Eh, its chained in the back, no big deal guys :v: