Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1 (missed that last time)

"Come on, Cole, get out of there! This big-" stab "-dumb-" stab "-beast-" stab "-cannot be a match for you!"

Weapons +4, tag on Skewered +2, --/+ = +5 at Weapon:1 for another consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Crab defends! /--+ +3 = 2, takes 4. 2nd consequence.

pre:
Name: Bear Crab
Defenses: Athletics 3
Aspects: --
Physical:()()()(X)
Mild (-2): Skewered (used)
Moderate (-4): Crabstabbed
Major (-6):
Warden Cole FP: 1

"Tell that to the claw that's trying to take my leg off, drat it!" Cole forces himself to wait for Mitsuo to strike again, this time taking advantage of the crab's reaction to launch his own strike at the elbow joint. The claw releases his leg and he kicks free.

Cole wiggles! -+-+ +3, tagging Crabstabbed for +5, breaks grapple.
Crabby runs away!

Cole heads up to the island and pulls himself onto the mud. Rolling up his pants leg to check, the crab didn't break skin but there's already a big purple bruise wrapping around his calf. "Ow." he says.

The 'island' is tiny, maybe fifty feet in diameter, and barely dry enough to count as land at all. Tall cattails ring it like a fence, obscuring it from view, and its far out in the lake that no one would be able to spot it from land. Or care if they had. In the very center, there is a square stone altar decorated around the base with reliefs of animals. Sea creatures, mostly, some fantastic some mundane. On top of the altar is a huge gold chalice, also decorated with sea animals.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1

"Well, that is impressive," says Mitsuo as he stares at the shiny thing. He picks his way through cat-tails and kelp beds. Stopping well short of the altar, he admires it for a few long moments before turning back to Cole.

"How is your leg? Will you be able to make it back?" A thought strikes him. "Oh. I REALLY hope that our ferry works both ways. Swimming back would be... unpleasant." Even while talking to Cole, he keeps glancing at the chalice. His expression is professionally blank, but it's hard to disguise that level of curiosity.

Well, envy.

Okay, it's greed. You happy now?

Lore check on the thing. Lore +3 //++ = +5.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole FP:1

Cole stands up and tests his weight on it. It hurts, but he can walk without a limp. "I think I'm okay." he says, looking up over the cattails. "I don't really want to go back the way we came though, even if it's an option." Cole closes his eyes and reaches out with his left hand. "This is a place of great power, but it hasn't been here long. The NeverNever here is..." he tilts his head "...close. I can probably open up a door and get us home that way."

He notices Mitsuo examining the altar and chalice. "Don't. Even. Think about it." he says, shaking his head.

Cole rolls lore to check on the NeverNever. --/+ +5 = 4

The chalice is enchanted, that much is obvious. The designs on it and the altar are greek in origin, although Mitsuo doesn't know enough to identify which god it might be significant to. Further examination of the table reveals deep slanted grooves from a ring in the center leading down and off the edges, and a stone knife set into a slot on the table's north side. The entire thing is polished and beautiful in a wild, savage sort of way. The cup gleams in the sunlight. It is empty.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1

Mitsuo scowls. "In our situation, can we really afford to pass up such a chance? Our enemies have proven themselves to be very formidable. We need all of the help, all of the power, that we can gather." He looks over the altar and environs again, looking for any hints of traps or wards. Nothing presents itself. Frustrated, he turns back to the Warden.

"We need this. I know you may not agree with my methods, but we have the same purpose. Please give me whatever help you can." He turns back to the knife and chalice, mentally readying himself for the snatch, but waiting for Cole's opinion.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Warden Cole FP: 1

"What makes you think that power is either useful or free for the taking? It's not just sitting out here unguarded. And I'm not talking about the crab. Whoever those slime trails belonged to..." Cole shakes his head. "Ends don't justify means, Mitsuo. And this feels like a trap in any case."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1 -> 3

Self compels on Cause for Alarm and Dashing Forward. We need every available tool to get things done. Also, it's shiny!

Mitsuo nods curtly. "Justice is your department, Warden. Ends are mine." He stares at the chalice, flexing his fingers. Stepping closer, he sinks into a martial stance.

"There is definitely a trap here. But when I was in the army, I learned to appreciate traps. Knowing that there is a trap is an advantage, a way to beat the trap and its maker. You know that there will be something. You do not know what form it will take. Knowing that you do not know, that is the first step towards wisdom. So we must become aware of everything, ready to move in any direction, moving with the flow of life. Floating as a leaf in the wind. Or perhaps on the water, in our case." Mitsuo's eyes twinkle. His breathing slows, and all of his muscles still themselves. He looks strangely peaceful, given the circumstances. "There is no higher art. No better way to learn your enemy, or yourself. Have your portal ready, we are about to poke the crab."

Quickly, he reaches out to take the chalice in one hand, the knife in the other. (Assuming he can pick them up) He tucks the chalice into his coat, securing it as best he can. He draws his own knife. Turning to Cole, both blades raised, he signals for the portal to be opened, all the while scanning in every direction for incoming threats.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 2

Jenny was distracted as she drove, still thinking about Claire and Andy. Claire hadn't wanted to let go of her, but Andy was her family. Her real family. Even though he had been kind of... callous about it, earlier. Still, he...

"What? Hold on."

Jenny pulls the car over, grabbing the first aid kit out of her trunk. "Let me take a look. Ouch, that looks nasty, but..." She trails off, grabbing gauze and medical tape out of the bag and applying it. "Is everyone else okay? Ada? JR?"

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Your ends are going to get us both killed." Cole snaps. "Did the army teach you how to escape a magical snare? I was a front line scout against the Red Court for the past two years, listen to me." He holds his shield at the ready, magic gathered just in case.

Listening is about the furthest thing from Mitsuo's mind as he lifts the oversized chalice from the altar. Both men feel their ears pop a fraction of a second later. Utter silence decends on the island.

Cole gasps as holding onto his magic suddenly requires three times the effort. He frantically tries to cut through to the NeverNever but nothing happens. "I'm locked out." He says, eyes widening. "It's a circle, this whole island is a circle!" His voice sounds strangely muted. Cole makes a dash for the edge of the island and slams his nose on an invisible wall before reaching the water's edge. Bright green greek letters glow in the mud just outside the barrier, ringing the island. The Warden draws his sword and rubs his aching nose, then leans forward and runs a hand along the barrier wall. If he can find a weak spot, the enchanted silver might be strong enough to break through.

He never gets the chance. "Hold, lamb." A feminine voice demands. Cole opens his mouth but no words come out. He grabs his throat and looks at Mitsuo, then at the reeds.

"The worshipper comes early, this month?" The voice asks. It is high pitched but mature. A figure steps out from between the reeds and walks towards the altar. She is nearly six feet tall and very thin. Clad in a sky blue toga, she is barefoot but the mud doesn't cling to her bronze skin. Her face is lovely but inhuman. Her eyes are huge, twice the size they should be, and a deep cat-like amber. She does not smile, but looks curiously at Mitsuo and tilts her head to one side. "Ah, you are unfamiliar to me. A newblood then, bringing a formal gift?" Those huge eyes look Cole up and down as if appraising his worth. "A fine offering, but we must take away that blade of his. I will assist." Cole looks confused for a moment, blinking, and his sword arm slowly lowers, until the saber drops from his hand. "Shhhh... Don't fight." She croons. Cole stands very still, trying to shake off the psychic assault.

The figure steps towards the altar, beckoning with her hands. Her movements are fluid and remind Mitsuo of a snake's. "Come lamb, lie down upon the altar and rest."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 3 -> 2

Mitsuo steps back, closer to Cole. Dozens of scenarios run through his head. He decides the best way to start is to play it cool, until an opening presents itself or he runs out of time to think. He pockets his own knife to pick up the sword. Then he moves away, holding it gingerly, as if he's worried Cole will snatch it back.

"Lady, can you control him? If he breaks out, he will be very angry with me." Mitsuo looks around the island, letting his fear show in his eyes. He tries to spot any weakness in the island's magic.

Deceit +2 -/++ = +3 result to act the fearful and anxious n00b.
Lore +3, Kingdom of Shadows +2, --/+ = +4 result to survey the summoning circle and environs.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

He is already very angry with you, you son of a bitch. Cole thinks, trying to keep a mental image of Mitsuo standing over him with a knife out of his head. Can't give him the opportunity, he might actually take it. He clears his thoughts and forces himself to focus. The strange Lady has him in a mental battle for control of his own limbs and he's not at all sure that he can hold out against her for long.

"Don't fight me, lamb. You are so tired, come and rest." her voice is inside his head and it's... it would be so easy to just...

Cole shakes his head, "No." he manages. Just the one word, very quiet.

Lady attempts to stick "You are getting sleepy." with Deceit. +/-/ +4 = 4
Cole resists with Discipline: -/+/ +5 = 5. Yay!

--

"I have him upon the precipice." A hint of a smile crosses her lips. "It is only a matter of time before he falls."

Cole's sword is warm in Mitsuo's hand as he scans the outer ring of the island. The neat arrangement of letters reminds him of his own style of drawing. If that's true, then the weakest point will be the southmost point. Where the line to draw the circle started and ended.

The Lady glares at the Warden. "He is stubborn. Bleed him a little for me, worshipper. Let us see how he resists then."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 0

Mitsuo steps forward shakily, placing himself between Cole and the woman (ish thing). Leaning in towards Cole, he takes hold of his wrist and pulls his arm up. Cole stares blankly past Mitsuo. He's wrapped up in his own battle and barely hanging on. Mitsuo raises the sword. Moving his mouth to within inches of Cole's face, he speaks softly, hopefully enough for only Cole to hear.

"Be ready."

With the sword held horizontally over Cole's upturned forearm, Mitsuo gathers his will. He blinks slowly to collect his thoughts. Then he snaps the sword upward, over Cole's head, and down to point at the seam in the circle. Pouring all of his power into the blade and out through its point, he rages at the circle's weakest point. He can feel the Warden's sword cooperating, amplifying his magic and adding some of its own.

Summoning 6 shifts of power (2 over Conviction 4) and getting 4 from the sword with 1 FP. Discipline +5 to control, ---- = :wtc:
Let's reroll that poo poo! Using "Cause for Alarm" to attempt to not die, Disc +5 -+++ = +7 which is good enough!

Mental ( ) ( ) (X) ( )

As the sword's magic melds with his, Mitsuo feels the Warden's sword rebelling against the taint of the Black in his own. Suddenly panicked, he nearly drops the blade. He feeds the surge of fear into the spell. It's enough to override the Warden-magic and blast it all out at the circle.

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 17, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The barrier resists, but the combined magical force of Mitsuo's desparation and Cole's enchanted blade pierces through and it pops like a bubble. It's never visible but as soon as it breaks all the sounds of the outside world return, along with the magic. A light breeze sweeps over the island, rustling the cattails.

The Lady shrieks and drops to her knees, covering her ears with her hands. It's almost painful to listen to. "Treachery! I am deceived! HECATE! YOUR DAUGHTER CALLS FOR AID!" The ground beneath their feet trembles and the Lady... changes.

--

Cole pitches forward onto his hands and knees, gasping for breath, then scrambles to his feet. He braces himself, trying to keep a clear mind. Portal magic is all about ideas and feelings, if he opens one while terrified he's going to end up someplace that reflects those feelings. Which is not what he wants! "Think happy thoughts, happy thoughts, springtime in the courtyard lots of flowers and butterflies..." he mutters, ignoring the cracking bones and loud, feline ROAR behind him. He finishes the spell, slicing down through the air with one hand. "Hamba'enda!" he yells.

The portal opens.

--

The THING that used to be the Lady leaps at Mitsuo, in a flash of claws and teeth and huge amber eyes. It rips into his chest and knocks him off his feet. "THIEF!" it hisses. It is obviously trying to retrieve the chalice, but the claws aren't all the dextrous and it really wouldn't mind disembowling him too.

Plot-level Catbeast attacks Mitsuo. Fists +/// +5 = 6 at weapon: 4. You may use the Chalice to block and take no damage, but you will lose posession of the item. The portal will cost Cole a mental stress each turn you stick around. The catbeast is heavily based on the Loup-Garou template including Physical Immunity.

--

INIT:
Catbeast
Mitsuo<-here
Cole

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 0->2

"I ain't hurt," JR says listlessly. "Just need to take a nap before the concert, tonight."

Swapping Lore and Discipline (meaning a changeup in my enchanted items), and picking up a rank in Investigation.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

A few minutes ago...

"Thank you." Andy said to Jenny, reaching out for his niece. Claire clung for a moment but sniffled and let go of Jenny's shirt. She was too scared and tired to talk any more. "We're going to go see mommy." Andy told her, and she cheered up a little. "Bye." she said, waving.

Andy smiled and hugged her. "God really answered my prayers today. Somehow I don't think I'd have made it out of there alive, without all of your help. I've got the box under the Warden's warding spell for now. If you hear from him, tell him to contact me. I know those spells don't last too long."

Andy left in his old beater, and JR, Hugues, Ada, and Jenny all piled into her car.

---

Later that night...

The concert was at 9pm, at a small country western dance bar, (yes such things exist in New Orleans, though not many of them.) It's not a ticketed event, you just need to pay the cover and put up with the line dancing. As a late night event with booze on tap however, the sign on the door reads "21 and over." And they do card.

It's 8:30pm now, the sun is down, and Randy Travis is blaring on the jukebox. There's an entirely illegal number of people crammed into the bar, standing room only outside of the small stage. The dance floor is being repurposed for more seating as you arrive.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: nope

Awestruck, Mitsuo nearly forgets to bring the sword up in time to deflect the beast's attack. It comes between him and her as they tumble to the ground. Her claws hang up on the silver edge as she tries to rip at Mitsuo's jacket. He shoves as hard as he can, buying a few precious inches, enough for him to squeeze out and regain his feet.

"Cole! Let's go!" He breaks into a run and hits the portal at full speed.

Defending with Weapons +4 /+++ = +7 result. Mitsuo remains unhurt :hellyeah:

Athletics to get as far and fast as possible. Ath +3 ///+ = +4 result.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cole jumps through the open gateway with Mitsuo half a step behind. They land on soft black sand. The light here is diffuse and casts everything in a cool blue tint. The ground is slightly on an angle, running down to a wide, glassy river.

As soon as they're clear Cole cuts all power to the portal and it starts to close. It's not fast enough. Huge clawed hands latch on to the sides, wrenching it back open as that hideous face pushes through... But the catbeast stops, sniffing the air. It roars in frustration, the sound amplified and echoing in the air of the cool blue place. Then the creature retreats, and the portal closes behind it.

Warden Cole FP: 1->2

Cole sits down on the black sand to catch his breath. "She must not be able to follow us. That means this place is someone else's domain." He shakes his head at Mitsuo. "You had me worried for a minute, back there. After all that talk about gaining power."

A small gondola-like boat is visible on the far side of the dark river, it pushes off and begins to head towards them, slowly.

Compel on Cole's "Thinking with Portals" to make this a very interesting location.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: wuzzat

Mitsuo reverses the sword and offers Cole the hilt. "I must be a better actor than I thought. No time to explain, had to act quickly." He pauses for a moment, cocking his head. "I am very glad she did not get you up on that slab. Now... if this is another being's domain... whose is it? More to the point, do you think that boat is safe?" He considers the boat. While he's thinking, he stows the newly acquired knife, making sure that it and the grail are as secure as they can be. He draws his own knife and holds it at his side while he waits for his ride.

Lore +3 --++ = +3 to figure out where we at.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mitsuo isn't entirely familiar with the Greek myths, but there's been enough media that it's hard not to recognize Hades when you see it.

Warden Cole FP:2

"Thank you." Cole says, reaching out to take the sword. But as his hand touches the hilt the thin blade snaps, leaving half in Mitsuo's hand.

Cole just stares at it for a moment and blinks. "You broke my sword." he says, in utter disbelief. "This was Luccio-forged, one of the very last ever made... and you broke it."

Cole takes a steadying breath as images of violence play through his head. Punching Mitsuo in the face isn't going to solve anything, no matter how satisfying it might be. Right. First thing's first, get back home. Maybe the sword can be repaired. It's not the end of the world.

He clears his throat. "Well, given that we were at a shrine to Hecate, anyplace connected to it is probably Hellenic. And given the atmosphere, and the fact that I was terrified when I cast the portal, I'm going to guess that this is Hades' domain. So no, we're not getting on the boat, unless you want to be trapped in Greek hell forever." He sighs, looking at the gondola. The boatman is visible now, a figure in a ragged blue cloak and hood. He's using a pole to propel the boat, revealing skeletal arms and hands.

Cole looks thoughtful. "Mitsuo... Do you have any pocket change?"

mistaya fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 18, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: bluh

Mitsuo stares blankly at the broken half-blade in his hand. How... uh... really? How the hell does that even happen? Did he put too much power through the sword, or... huh. He wonders if Warden swords really don't mesh with Lawbreaker powers.

When Cole speaks, it takes him a good two seconds to realize he's supposed to respond. "Mmm? Oh, erm, yes. I think so." He digs into a pocket and produces a quarter, two dimes, a fifty-yen piece, and a ten Euro cent coin.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cole snags the quarter and approaches the river. "This should do. Let's see if this guy knows the way out of here. Just don't touch the water."

The gondola slides up onto the sand with a gentle scraping sound, and the blue robed figure steps out. It extends one skeletal hand, a silent request for payment. "You are Charon, the ferryman?" Cole asks, standing a good ten feet back from the boat. The robed creature nods once. "I AM." His voice doesn't come from him, precisely. It sounds like a faint whisper from over the river. Audible, but very odd.

"YOU ARE NOT DEAD. WHY DO YOU STAND UPON THE BLACK SANDS?"
"We got lost, fleeing a daughter of Hecate. Do you know the way back to New Orleans?"
"PAYMENT." The hand reaches.
Cole deposits his quarter. It looks at the coin carefully for a moment. "AH, IDAHO. I DO NOT HAVE ONE OF THESE YET. FOLLOW THE SHAFT OF LIGHT MORTAL, IT WILL TAKE YOU BACK TO THE SUNLIT LAND."

A thin beam of light appears behind them.

"Thank you." Cole bows to the creature.
"IT'S NOT ALL BAD HERE, AS UNDERWORLDS GO."
"I'm sure it's very nice."
"MAYBE WHEN YOU DIE, RICHTER DANIEL COLE, YOU COULD COME BACK?"
Cole freezes. "I didn't tell you my Name." The creature holds up the coin. The president's face on the front is gone, replaced with Cole's.
"PAYMENT. YOU DIDN'T THINK I WOULD LET YOU GO FOR 25 CENTS, DID YOU?" There is a rustling sound, almost like a laugh. "FEAR NOT MORTAL, I AM A KEEPER OF MILLIONS OF SUCH THINGS."
The cowl turns to Mitsuo for a moment, and he can see eyes the color of blue flame beneath it.
"ALAS, YOUR FRIEND IS ALREADY SPOKEN FOR. IT ISN'T FAIR, HEAVEN AND HELL ARE ALREADY FULL TO BURSTING."

Across the river, a pack of dogs howls. It is a deep, resonanting sound.
"BE SWIFT MORTALS. YOUR PRESENCE HAS BEEN NOTED."

Cole and Mitsuo take off running. The thin beam of light stays just ahead, leading them through the huge empty cavern. The howl sounds again, and the echoes make it impossible to tell if its closer or more distant than before. Finally the beam stops at the cavern wall. Cole touches the smooth obsidian. "Yes, this is the place." He closes his eyes and tears another hole in the world.

The portal exits through the side of a dumpster behind 'George's Gyros.'

"We made it." Cole leans back against the dumpster. He looks up after a while, sees the sign, and starts laughing. "I got food poisoning here once, years ago... Let's just say I'm not surprised it's metaphysically aligned with death." he explains.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 18, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 0

Mitsuo laughs along with Cole, letting all the fear and tension roll out and blow away with the wind. "Is it too early to wonder what would have been if we went right at the fork? If instead of giant crabs, Hellenic dominatrices, and the black ferry, we might have had cake with pixies?" Another dry chuckle as Mitsuo pushes himself up, using the dumpster for balance.

"Listen... what I said before about JR, it went the same for you. I had little reason to trust you." He pauses. "We just went through Hades itself together. You stayed with me even after making it clear how foolish you thought I was." He offers his hand to help Cole up. "I am sure you think it is your job, to protect foolish sorcerors from themselves and the things from beyond the veil, but that sets you apart from all of the Wardens that work only to preserve the Accords and the balance of power. I am glad to have you at my back... Danny." Mitsuo grins wickedly as he drags Cole to his feet.

After a moment, his face falls. He pulls the broken blade of Cole's sword out from the lining of his jacket, handing it back to Cole. "For this... I am sorry. I have no idea how this happened. If it can be repaired... Tell me if I can help fix this, in any way."

After exchanging goodbyes Mitsuo flags down a cab, headed back to the marina for his own car. Eventually he finds himself back at Forward Thinking. He sprawls on the futon without even removing his shoes, dead to the world for ten minutes or so. Upon arising he strips down and throws himself in the shower. Finally, clean and refreshed, he sits at the table in the living room, soda in one hand, with the chalice and the knife in front of him. He considers them for a few moments while he sips his drink. Then he gets up and rummages through his books and supplies. For the better part of an hour he consults various references, performs small divinations, and sometimes just sits staring out the window, reaching back through his own memories.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
The knife is Weapon:2 and, when first drawing blood in each scene, gains the aspect "Sang Real."

The chalice is used for sacrifices to Hecate. Probably won't see much use... probably.

Mitsuo heads for the concert.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 0 --> 2
Refresh!

Upon seeing that people were getting IDed to get in, Hugues lingered in the car as everyone got out, pulling out the potion he always kept with the rest of his portable wizardry gear. He chugged it down, feeling the effects on his body. It always felt a bit weird, his body morphing and bubbling as the ectoplasm became attracted to his body and started taking form. It wasn't something necessarily hideous to look at, but it wasn't pleasant.

Hugues stepped out of the car a new man...or rather, an older one.

(Apparently his hair got shorter. v:shobon:v)

The first step was the trickiest, walking while wrapped in ectoplasm was like walking on stilts made of someone else's legs. Then came the second, and the third, balance established. Finger check. Pinky, ring, middle, index, thumb, other thumb, index, middle, ring, pinky. All functioning fine, although still felt like it was waking up. Everything was functioning normally at the very least.

"Perfect." His voice had deepened too, which of course felt weird. Before going in, he lingered near the car, and whistled softly. Or rather, he tried to whistle, vocal cords were different and it took him a few tries, but finally he succeeded. "Weayaya, tell me what you've seen so far."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Weyaya bobs in the air. "Woaaah, what happen' to you? You got bigger." The orange pixie plops onto Hugues' shoulder. "I been watchin' but nothin's to report. Big party, dancin', music, lots of drink and food. No demons." He looks up, beaming. "I like the dancin'. It's like a solstice festival, everyone knows their part and moves together. I been watchin', gonna teach the others." Standing up, the pixie breaks into the Hustle. "Anyway, singers gonna come soon. Everyone is talkin' about it, "Dylanmerle an' Supriseguest." Only got pictures of Dylanmerle though, dunno who t'other is."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny walks to the bar, scanning for an open seat. It was fairly busy, but... there we go. A smile and a pretty face worked wonders every time. After catching the bartenders eye, she hesitates for a second. An Appletini sounded good, but... it'd been quite a day.

"Vodka. Straight up."

Taking the drink and slamming it back, she motions for another. Let's see... too busy, too drunk, dealing with a girl who couldn't have been more than seventeen, and perfect. A junior manager-type standing by the edge of the crowd, keeping an eye on things. Taking her drink with her, Jenny wanders over and catches his eye. "Hey! I'm Jenny Hirsch, part of the band's press team? I need to get back there, but I got here late and I seem to have misplaced my pass somewhere. Could you be a dear and let me in? It's very important."

Deceit /+// +3 = 4. Backstage pass time.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Junior manager type defends with Empathy! ///- +1 = 0, pass.

"Oh, uh, Dennis Harper." He says, flustered. He looks Jenny over with a worried frown. "Sorry I didn't recognize you. Our manager is in the hospital, I don't know how I'm supposed to coordinate all this. It's been a rough couple days. Go on back."

--

'Backstage' is basically a painted brick hallway with a door leading to a green room, and the stage at the end. The stage itself is barely a raised platform, maybe a foot off the ground. There is a single wooden chair and a two microphone stands on it, plus a tiny table with a few bottled waters.

"Where the hell is Ruby?" A deep, gritty voice growls from the green room. "She should have been here an hour ago."
"Curtain's up in five, Merle." A woman's voice.
"I know, I know... Tell Billy to reverse the set, we can buy her a little more time."
"Yes sir."

The country-western star emerges from the room with his guitar, trailed by a woman in a smart grey jacket and skirt. Merle doesn't even give Jenny a second look, just walks right by and onto the stage, but the woman stops and glares at her.

"And who might you be, young lady?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 2

JR heads over to the bar and orders his whiskey. It's been a long day, and it is time to get drunk - even if something did happen tonight, it wouldn't be the first time JR had fought something while drunk. And, 'sides, it would make him feel better.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think Mitsuo deserves a bit more history on his magical loot.

The chalice is heavy and appears to be solid gold, though it holds its shape a little too well. It's large, about 7 inches around in the bowl and fairly deep. The sides are decorated with sea creatures, but also creatures that live under the earth. Mitsuo's books mention ritual sacrifice to Hecate, but they don't say anything about human sacrifice. And perhaps the strangest thing of all, Hecate is closely associated with crossroads and gates. Cole's portal hadn't exactly gone someplace nice, but it could have been a lot worse. Hell, another 50 yards south would have put them on the "dead" side of the river Acheron, and Mitsuo somewhat doubts that the boatman would have taken them out of Hades, no matter how many quarters he had.

It's a sobering thought. At least the enchantment on the chalice itself is a simple one. Powerful as hell, but simple. It's a sacred offering vessel, a hard line directly to the goddess. That's not really useful to him, but keeping it away from that inhuman Lady/cat creature is probably a good thing.

The knife on the other hand, is more interesting. First of all, it isn't Greek. It's Aztec. The wide blade is made of obsidian, the handle is carved jade. Just holding it makes Mitsuo nervous. It's killed before, recently, and that kind of thing leaves a sort of scar on any object. But there's something more... sinister about this particular weapon. Perhaps Cole would know more about it.

Chalice is used to make sacrifices to Hecate, you can potentially get useful temporary aspects from the goddess' favor, but 1: it will tell her minions exactly where you are, and 2: sacrifice is icky, even animal sacrifice.

Knife is Weapon:2, once per scene when it draws blood you may pay one mental stress to gain a fragile beneficial aspect related to blood. Note that the knife is clearly evil and using it is probably not good for your mental health long term!

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 0 -> 2

Mitsuo's hoopty pulls up to the curb a couple of blocks from the bar. Scanning the area, he sees handfuls of people headed for the main entrance. He takes a guess and ducks into an alley a few doors down. This one's a dead end, but the next one over loops behind two other buildings before passing behind Rattlesnake Jake's.

There are two back doors - one marked "STAGE" in big red spray-stenciled letters, the other unmarked and propped open, with bar-backs and cooks coming and going to toss things in the nearby dumpster. Mitsuo pulls back around the corner. Making sure everything is pocketed and tucked in, buttoning his jacket to minimize his size and sound, he waves a hand in a practiced pattern. To an outside observer, he would gradually seem to grow thinner and thinner until disappearing entirely. From Mitsuo's perspective, the world warps noticeably for a few seconds then settles into a slightly hazy normality, though everything seems as if it's simultaneously too close and too far away to focus on.

He rounds the corner, headed for the bar door. He times his entrance to follow a bar-back who's just tossed a case of glass bottles haphazardly into the trash. No respect for Mother Earth, Mitsuo thinks sardonically. Once inside he does his best to dodge workers and patrons. He works his way to the bathroom, where he can drop the spell and emerge into the crowd.

Vanish as a rote. Blocks Alertness +5 for 3 exchanges.
Mental (X) ( ) ( ) ( ) which should dissipate shortly.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Yeah, I'll be over in about half an hour, Andy. I did not bail on you, there was... look I'll explain it when I get there. Yeah. Bye."

Cole hangs up the phone and sits down at his desk. His head hurts, a lot, and not just because Andy Nazarene is more than a little angry at his sudden dissapearing act earlier in the day. Portal magic isn't something that comes easy. When it's an established Way, to someplace you've been before, it's not a big deal. But just ripping a hole in reality with no chance to prepare? Cole feels lucky that the headache is all he has to remember it by.

He sets the two pieces of his saber down on the desk. His sword isn't just a weapon, it's a symbol of his office. Perhaps even more than the cloak. There is no way to replace it. Captain Luccio can't make them anymore and no one else has figured out the process. Laura is going to kill me. Unless...

Cole grabs the phone and dials Hugues' cell. The kid has a gift when it comes to crafting, maybe together they can figure out a way to restore the enchantment. Besides there is that whole potential demon at a country concert. Cole thinks that one might be a stretch but the group has been pretty resourceful when it comes to being in the right place when things were about to happen, so it couldn't hurt to check on them.

Hugues' phone rang twice. "Uhhh....hello?" The voice on the other end of the line sounded deeper than it should have.
"Hugues? Is that you? It's Cole."
"Yeah, it's me. Long story short, I took a potion. What do you need?"
"I see... We finished looking into that thing at the marina, Mitsuo mentioned a possible demon at some concert? I need to head over to Andy's and get that artifact someplace more secure than his car's glovebox. You guys got that place covered or you think you'll need help?"
"We're already there. Hence the potion, they don't let kids in."
"OK, well if anything turns up, you've got your pin." He pauses for a second. "Um, actually, Hugues I was wondering if you could stop by after school tommorow, something's happened to my sword and I noticed you wearing one. Handmade, like the gauntlet?"
"...yeah?" Hugues was mostly confused at this. Wasn't Cole's sword Luccio-made? Her craft didn't break easily.
"I'd just... rather not report it. Well, see you tommorow then."
"...right, see you then." He hung up. "Mitsuo, what the hell did you two do?"

Feeling a little better, Cole headed out to flag down a cab. No more portals today.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 20, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 2

Halfway to the bathroom, Mitsuo thinks better of his original plan. He hangs a right around the corner, working his way backstage. If there's a dressing room, or a musician's area, or whatever, better to check it out now. Might need to get around quick later on. He follows a likely-looking roadie, sticking close behind him as he goes through the relevant doors.

Staying invisible, taking more stress if necessary.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

As Mitsuo passes by Dennis on the way backstage, (who fails to notice there's any such invisible person around) he gets a bad feeling. He stops and looks at the tired young man but there's nothing to see. The bad feeling persists for no adequate reason. Huh. He continues on, slipping past Jenny and the irate woman in the grey business suit and into the green room.

It's not terribly impressive, there's a couple worn leather couches, a table with all kinds of drinks (most of them empty) and snacks (most of them eaten) on it. A guitar stand. A few magazines on an end table. But the room smells odd. Not BAD, per se, but it smells like outdoors in the country on a warm summer afternoon, with the cows out in the field and the work already done and Mitsuo can just picture...

Mitsuo shakes his head, realizing that there's something not right. It's not mind control, more like a place-memory. The imprint of that warm summer afternoon is so strong that he can tap into it, see it in his own head just as if he'd been there himself. No wonder the singer is so popular, throwing a little trick like that on an audience that's already in the mood to be receptive would be something to see.

Mitsuo's lore rolls, a 5 and a 3, for detecting something up with Dennis the assistant stage manager and the memory shard haunting the green room.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny extends her hand to the woman, fishing for a handshake. "Hi! I'm Jenny, with the bar? I'm supposed to help out tonight because they're shorthanded, what with everything going on. Do you need any help, or are you all set? I just got here and they sent me right back."

Rapport /+-/ +5 = 5. Chit-chat and fishing for information.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Besuited woman defends with rapport! -/-/ +3 = 1. Oh look Jenny made a friend.

"No, we're fine, everything's fine." Grey-suit responds, sighing. Everything is quite obviously not fine, and she's not exactly hiding it. "We're done in the green room, if you want to clean up in there."

--

There's excited applause as Dylan Merle walks out on stage and takes a seat with his guitar. He gives it a strum. "How's everybody doing tonight!" He yells out good-naturedly, and the crowd cheers. "That's what I like to hear!

After introducing the house band, Merle starts his show. The songs are old fashioned and clear, and Merle's voice has that pleasant rasp that long years of drinking and smoking give a man. He sings about love and a good woman, and a sweet simple life. He sings about heartbreak and loss, a broken home and broken dreams. Every song is like a picture the audience shares together. There's not a dry eye in the place by the time the second one finishes.

Even backstage the effect of the music is palpable.

Merle pauses after the song and signals to the house band. "Now everyone knows my usual set, but I'd like to take you all back with me for a moment. A tribute, to a dear friend of mine."

As the first chord echoes through the room, J.R. looks up from his drink. He knows this song. It's not exactly the same but...

As I walked out, on the streets of Laredo
As I walked out on Laredo one day,
I spied a young cowboy wrapped in white linen,
Wrapped in white linen as cold as the clay.

Merle's music puts the effect "Streets of Laredo" on the scene. Performance ++++ +5 = 9 :stare: Yeah, you guys are all feeling it.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 21, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Jenny nods enthusiastically. "Okay, great! Do let me know if you or Mr. Merle need anything, anything at all, and I'll get right on it, Mrs... uh, sorry. I don't think I caught your name with all the confusion, and with everything going on I guess I'm a bit more scatterbrained than usual."

Rapport +--/ +5 = 4 if you need it. After Jenny finishes up the conversation, she'll go check out the green room.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Renee Hewitt. I need to pass a message on to the band, excuse me." She brushes by Jenny without another word, her heels clicking on the cement floor.

By the time Jenny gets to the green room, Merle's started on his first song and the psychic residue from his warmup is long gone. There doesn't seem to be anything interesting here.

Mitsuo is still in the room but he's invisible. Gonna let you two sort that out before anything else happens backstage.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 2

JR pauses in his drinking to listen to the music. He hadn't really expected to like it - the music he'd heard since coming to the future hadn't really appealed to him. But this, this he liked. Between the buzz from the alcohol and the music, he's really feeling good for the first time today.

Endurance /+// +3 = 4 to put Feels Good aspect on JR

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 2

Mitsuo sidles up to Jenny, close enough that he can speak without being overheard, but far enough that she won't smack him if she gets startled. He speaks softly and calmly.

"Jenny. Mitsuo. Do not look at me, I am veiled anyways. Just keep doing your thing and speak gently if you need to. There is something strange about this place, something etheric. A trick of memory. Almost like a glamour, but less aggressive, and very subtly done." He looks at the door briefly, pondering. "It might be connected to the man you were talking to. I do not like him and I cannot explain why."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
"Adult" Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2

Hugues nodded in approval of Weayaya's observations. "Alright I need you to--"

*ring ring*
(Insert conversation with Cole here)

Hugues let out a long sigh. Maybe he needed to keep a closer eye on Mitsuo, even if they did mutually agree to the demon. "Anyway, sorry about that. Head back in there and just keep an eye out for demons, our crew is going to be poking around as well. Bit too crowded to work on a divination, but keep a Glamour up so no one sees you." The pixie flew off back into the building as Hugues stepped back inside just as Dylan Merle started playing.

He got himself a soda, and sat down next to JR. Hugues thought about saying something, but from the way JR held his subtle smile, perhaps it was best to just say nothing at all. The man was recovering from the mental trauma inflicted by the White Court in his own way.

• Locked thread