Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Hopefully this is the right thread to ask this. Kind of a dumb question.

Just bought a new Macbook pro and it came with Parallels for free. If I buy a Windows 7 license that can only be used on one computer, would I not be able to use it for both Parallels and BootCamp? What has everyone else done for this. Cheapest place to buy Windows? Best version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bass Bottles posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask this. Kind of a dumb question.

Just bought a new Macbook pro and it came with Parallels for free. If I buy a Windows 7 license that can only be used on one computer, would I not be able to use it for both Parallels and BootCamp? What has everyone else done for this. Cheapest place to buy Windows? Best version?

From a licensing stand point, a single copy can not have two installs, so you could not have a virtual machine AND a boot camp install. However, Parallels and VMWare Fusion both allow you to run your boot camp install virtually, which would be ok with your one install limit. I know that seems confusing, but the latter is only one licensed install of Windows, and the former is two.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Speaking of VMs, it looks like my Windows Boot Camp has picked up the annoying of habit of deactivating itself when booted via VMWare. Any simple-way to get past this, or just tolerate the "ACTIVATE ME!" when VM?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Factory Factory posted:

You'd prefer ATI over AMD? AMD bought ATI in 2006.

As for why Apple would use both the Intel IGP and a discrete chip, the answer is really, really simple: better battery life without sacrificing the option of more horsepower.

I think he's really wishing that intel was out of the picture. I guess he's buying machines that are intel-only (air? mini?).

Shmoogy posted:

I know it's awesome for editing and is super powerful, but that loving name makes me giggle all the time. Why would they name it that...

They love south park more than the rest of us!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

movax posted:

Speaking of VMs, it looks like my Windows Boot Camp has picked up the annoying of habit of deactivating itself when booted via VMWare. Any simple-way to get past this, or just tolerate the "ACTIVATE ME!" when VM?

Deactivation is usually a result of the license being registered on more than one computer.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

mayodreams posted:

From a licensing stand point, a single copy can not have two installs, so you could not have a virtual machine AND a boot camp install. However, Parallels and VMWare Fusion both allow you to run your boot camp install virtually, which would be ok with your one install limit. I know that seems confusing, but the latter is only one licensed install of Windows, and the former is two.

That's very nice but I've noticed that in practice it still doesn't work that way because Windows "sees" the Bootcamp and VM environments as different hardware (because the VM reports different hardware to it) and therefore one deactivates the other. At least this happened last time I checked about more than a year ago.

So while from a licensing standpoint the two might be the same install, there's no way of convincing Windows of that fact.

Super Dude posted:

Deactivation is usually a result of the license being registered on more than one computer.

Where "computer" can also be "hardware environment", as I described above.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

movax posted:

Try putting a batch file in your Startup folder in Programs with this command:
code:
cscript //b c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato
It will silently activate Windows so you won't have to bother with it anymore.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

movax posted:

I get this same behavior in parallels if I just put the VM to sleep instead of shutting down completely before starting up the boot camp partition.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Just got my new Macbook Pro in the mail today. First thing it did was freeze during the software update and then refuse to boot. Re-installing Lion now... so frustrated.

Is this a known issue? Should I try to do the software update again?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

My 13" MacBook Air's fans will not shut up. I've disabled Flash and done a bunch of things to the software that I thought would help. Any ideas?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

My 13" MacBook Air's fans will not shut up. I've disabled Flash and done a bunch of things to the software that I thought would help. Any ideas?

Have you opened up Activity Monitor to check for runaway processes?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

Just got my new Macbook Pro in the mail today. First thing it did was freeze during the software update and then refuse to boot. Re-installing Lion now... so frustrated.

Is this a known issue? Should I try to do the software update again?
Macs aren't supposed to blow up first thing, so no I don't think that's a known issue. I'd try running the hardware test to see if something is messed up with the hardware. If it's an HD issue it may not show up cause HDs are just fickle beasts.

Oneiros posted:

Have you opened up Activity Monitor to check for runaway processes?
And be sure to set it to show all users.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

So my girlfriend lost her MBP charger and I'm letting her borrow my old 60w MBP charger. The thing is, it's a 15" MBP, which usually comes with a 85w charger. Is it okay to use that for a short period of time until she gets a new one?

Is it important to buy a replacement charger from Apple only? It's pretty steep at 80$ to buy a new charger...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could look for a refurb but with power supplies and batteries you're really taking a chance that's not worth taking by getting non-apple. My own judgment says no simply from anecdotal experience of burning plastic smell coming from sketchy power supplies and poor battery life and sudden shutdowns from sketchy batteries.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
AFAIK it will just take longer and shouldn't hurt a thing.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

So my girlfriend lost her MBP charger and I'm letting her borrow my old 60w MBP charger. The thing is, it's a 15" MBP, which usually comes with a 85w charger. Is it okay to use that for a short period of time until she gets a new one?

Is it important to buy a replacement charger from Apple only? It's pretty steep at 80$ to buy a new charger...

It should be fine for temporary use. It might not charge as fast, and I guess it's possible that under high load the system might draw more power than the smaller charger can supply in which case it would actually drain the battery.

As for 3rd party chargers, keep in mind that Apple has not given anyone else license to use their magsafe connecter so anything you find is going to be on the sketchy side just from that alone.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Thanks for the help guys.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
When you're ordering, there's no way to change the configuration of a refurb iMac from the Apple store, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

triplexpac posted:

When you're ordering, there's no way to change the configuration of a refurb iMac from the Apple store, right?
Nope.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Nope- you've got to wait until one with the specs you want is available.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Shmoogy posted:

Nope- you've got to wait until one with the specs you want is available.

Or cross your fingers that you get one with slightly better specs than the one you ordered.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Removing the glass off an iMac looks about as easy as it gets, but has anyone had any personal experience with it? I think I have some dust (or possibly even a tiny crack, which would suck) behind the screen. I should probably just live with it, but it looks so easy to take the screen off...

I'm sure it's easy to get even more dust stuck in there while trying to check it out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Removing the glass off an iMac looks about as easy as it gets, but has anyone had any personal experience with it? I think I have some dust (or possibly even a tiny crack, which would suck) behind the screen. I should probably just live with it, but it looks so easy to take the screen off...

I'm sure it's easy to get even more dust stuck in there while trying to check it out.

If you have the newer one without a bezel, just slide a plastic card under the one of the top corners and pull it right off. You don't need suction cups.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I think I have some dust (or possibly even a tiny crack, which would suck) behind the screen. I should probably just live with it, but it looks so easy to take the screen off...

Back when I thought the screen must remain pristine and impenetrable, there was one big piece of dust that blocked a couple pixels, right out of the box. I can't believe I waited 6 months to take the glass off and just give it a microfiber wipe. It's just plexiglass and magnets.

The nice thing about the $4 suction cups is that you really don't have to get your greasy paw prints on the screen, though. you can just lift it off and set it aside.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its just magnets? jeeez, and here i am putting off upgrading to an SSD.

...or is installing the SSD much harder than simply removing the screen?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Laserface posted:

its just magnets? jeeez, and here i am putting off upgrading to an SSD.

...or is installing the SSD much harder than simply removing the screen?

I'll let you know if my drive arrives tomorrow. It looks like pop off the glass, remove some torx bits, tilt the screen back, grab the old HD out of it's bracket, drop the new drive in and re-connect. I don't have a 2011 so I don't have to worry about the drive temperature cable or anything else AFAIK.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Bob Morales posted:

I'll let you know if my drive arrives tomorrow. It looks like pop off the glass, remove some torx bits, tilt the screen back, grab the old HD out of it's bracket, drop the new drive in and re-connect. I don't have a 2011 so I don't have to worry about the drive temperature cable or anything else AFAIK.

I can't comment on the difficulty, but I've read that in the case that anyone has a Thunderbolt-equipped iMac there is ample space and a free port behind the screen. It's supposed to be pretty simple compared to pre-Thunderbolt iMacs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's a little chancy to just tilt the screen, there's a few little cables that really should be gently removed so you can put the screen off to the side and have all the room you want to remove / put in the drive. Damaging any of those cables (vertical sync, displayport, power) can earn you a trip to 'iMac with a baffling, unknown problem' city.

Also, if you scratch or break the glass, AppleCare won't give a gently caress. (as in, not cover it.)

Lastly, the power supply is right up in the upper left hand corner there. Unplug your iMac and wait a few minutes before attempting anything.

Arrowsmith posted:

I can't comment on the difficulty, but I've read that in the case that anyone has a Thunderbolt-equipped iMac there is ample space and a free port behind the screen. It's supposed to be pretty simple compared to pre-Thunderbolt iMacs.

Yes, because the extra SSD is an option on new TB iMacs, so they modded the case and connections a little to allow for room to put one in.

japtor posted:

And be sure to set it to show all users.

I think you meant All Processes, or All Processes Hierarchically.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 19, 2012

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
I spilled Milk over my MacBook yesterday and now 5 keys are not working and the keyboard backlight is pretty uneven now. The rest seems fine.

Whats the best option for me to do? Can i easily repair it myself?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Also, if you scratch or break the glass, AppleCare won't give a gently caress. (as in, not cover it.)

Will they not cover it, or will they not not cover it? I'm not trying to nitpick here, I just can't tell.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

AppleCare won't cover any damage to the glass if they determine that you damaged it while you were opening up the iMac.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I just got the Das Keyboard for Mac, and it's utterly fantastic. However, Fn+brightness up/down don't work when when plugged into my iMac (I get the error chime, but no modification of the screen). Other Fn combinations (e.g. next track, volume, etc) work fine. However, when used with my MBP, all Fn keys including brightness work as expected.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on here?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lexicon posted:

I just got the Das Keyboard for Mac, and it's utterly fantastic. However, Fn+brightness up/down don't work when when plugged into my iMac (I get the error chime, but no modification of the screen). Other Fn combinations (e.g. next track, volume, etc) work fine. However, when used with my MBP, all Fn keys including brightness work as expected.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on here?
Have you got the 'auto-adjust brightness' setting in System Preferences->Displays enabled?

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
What is the best option for an inexpensive USB tv-tuner that would work with an apple computer? Something that would just enable me to attach an antenna and get the networks and stuff in HD?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EyeTV is the most popular, but it might be out of your price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-EyeTV-Hybrid-Tuner-10021020/dp/tech-data/B003UATR3I

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
I'm looking to learn/do iOS development and am wondering what hardware to get. At the moment I am oscillating between 3 refurb options: the $699 Air, the $849 Air, and the $519 Mini.

I'd have to get a monitor for the Mini anyway, so that'd add ~$100 to the cost. Furthermore my current laptop is pretty trashed so I am leaning towards the cheapest Air(storage is not that big a deal). I'm wondering if there are any glaring limitations to the $699 Air. I'm not planning to do any gaming on it, just programming, web surfing, video playback.

Basically I am pretty sure that's what I'm getting.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011

johnnyXcrane posted:

I spilled Milk over my MacBook yesterday and now 5 keys are not working and the keyboard backlight is pretty uneven now. The rest seems fine.

Whats the best option for me to do? Can i easily repair it myself?

Help anyone?
Would be cleaning the keys be a solution or is it a technical problem and the logic board needs to be replaced?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The problem with the cheapest MBAir is the 2gb of nonupgradeable RAM. The storage issue isn't the worst issue for lots of people, but 2gb is already the lowest I would realistically ever go RAM wise, and you probably wanna keep it for at least a year or two.

That being said, no harm in picking it up and trying it out. If it runs like poo poo for your uses, return and buy the more expensive one.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

The problem with the cheapest MBAir is the 2gb of nonupgradeable RAM. The storage issue isn't the worst issue for lots of people, but 2gb is already the lowest I would realistically ever go RAM wise, and you probably wanna keep it for at least a year or two.

That being said, no harm in picking it up and trying it out. If it runs like poo poo for your uses, return and buy the more expensive one.

But the $849 one also comes with 2gb RAM. The cheapest model that comes with 4gb is the 1k, which is definitely more than I'd want to spend. At that rate I might as well get the 520 mac mini and grab some ram sticks and upgrade that myself.

The most intensive thing I might do with it is Photoshop, almost certainly no video editing/recording or any real gaming(ie. maybe some indie/browser stuff).

If 2GB is really not enough I'd probably head for the $870 Macbook Pro.

e. And I guess there's also the C2D vs i5 issue to consider when looking at the Mini.

Sil fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

johnnyXcrane posted:

Help anyone?
Would be cleaning the keys be a solution or is it a technical problem and the logic board needs to be replaced?
That's a very good question, and one which can be accurately answered upon opening the machine. At the least, we'd need to know which MacBook, and even then you're probably just going to best cleaning it and/or looking for the top case online (to try that before a MLB) and/or taking it to a repair shop.