Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Broken Loose posted:

00 was terrible, and KDavisJr: You really really need to go watch Gundam.

I've seen Gundam Wing (even Endless Waltz) and G Gundam more than once. I should watch Mobile Suit Gundam and Gundam SEED sometime. I need to see how Char got his meme status, and multi-beam spam never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adyen
Dec 26, 2007

KDavisJr posted:

I never payed much attention to SEED so my head feels fine. But as pureauthor said, Wing has a lot of bullshit. Maybe it's because it's a Gundam show that tries to have it's plot be the main selling point?

More like, maybe because it's a Gundam show that tries to have it's pilots' looks as its main selling point.

But still, I feel that it's slightly better than Kira "Jesus" Yamato. At least when Heero blows things up, we know it's because their Gundams were made with tech that is better than what's being mass produced. With Seed? The Gundams were literally created with the same tech but it still vastly overpowers everything everyone else makes.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Section Z posted:

Oh god, please please tell me that the Thread title, and this, mean what I think it does for the Rocket Punch Club.... I really need to watch that show sometime.

It's definitely in, but I think the "Worst Robot" being talked about is something else. Is it Trider G7 because seriously that thing is like a bargain basement Daitarn 3?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Bob Smith posted:

It's definitely in, but I think the "Worst Robot" being talked about is something else. Is it Trider G7 because seriously that thing is like a bargain basement Daitarn 3?

Pretty sure Chapter 4 is Dai-Guard's introduction. A Super Robot whose worst enemy isn't monsters, but rather, gravity itself.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bob Smith posted:

Why would anybody think that Trider G7 is the "worst robot"? (the answer is a busta with bad opinions)

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Why would anybody think that Trider G7 is the "worst robot"? (the answer is a busta with bad opinions)

I guess it's because I know nothing about the show except the robot's head is used as a climbing frame and all its attacks seem pretty ordinary. Possibly if the series was translated it would be more interesting.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm probably going to get dog-piled for this, but any robot made before 1979 that isn't Mazinger or Getter all gets lumped in my head as "blocky-rear end technicolor junk." I have no nostalgia for any of them, I don't find any of them interesting in any way, and every SRW game I play they're dedicated bench-warmers, no matter how powerful they are. I just straight-up don't like 70's robots.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Silentman0 posted:

I'm probably going to get dog-piled for this, but any robot made before 1979 that isn't Mazinger or Getter all gets lumped in my head as "blocky-rear end technicolor junk." I have no nostalgia for any of them, I don't find any of them interesting in any way, and every SRW game I play they're dedicated bench-warmers, no matter how powerful they are. I just straight-up don't like 70's robots.

I don't have any nostalgia for any of the old 1970s robots either, short of Voltes V, and I think they all rule. Most of them just seem fun, hate the laws of science to an extreme degree, and usually have pilots whose primary character trait is "hot-blooded badass that yells a lot". Compare this to more recent super robot (and hell, real robot) shows where you gotta shoe-horn in a bunch of character development I don't care for because they're usually samey bad tropes found in non-mecha shows.

If anything gets benched for me, it's usually newer super robots like Aquarion and Gravion, as well as most Banpresto originals. Those are uninteresting for me because they try so hard to be interesting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

If anything gets benched for me, it's usually newer super robots like Aquarion

You have no soul. :colbert:

Edit: VV All is forgiven.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 5, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

You have no soul. :colbert:

Sorry, I mean to type "Rahxephon" but I was in SRW Z mode. (sometimes Aquarion gets benched though, tough choices need to be made, usually choices where punching something to the moon is not economical)

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 5, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sorry, I mean to type "Rahxephon" but I was in SRW Z mode. (sometimes Aquarion gets benched though, tough choices need to be made, usually choices where punching something to the moon is not economical)

Were Evangelion and RahXephon ever in the same game together? Bonus points if Raideen was in there too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Were Evangelion and RahXephon ever in the same game together? Bonus points if Raideen was in there too.

MX.

And yes, Raideen was in it too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just for the record, Z2.2 is out and it confirms that "Brasta" is the intended translation of the robot's name

The upgrade is Librastar.

BitterCharisma
Feb 28, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

MX.

And yes, Raideen was in it too.

Not only that but all of their plots are interconnected heavily.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

BitterCharisma posted:

Not only that but all of their plots are interconnected heavily.

There's actually a pretty great scene where Eva 01 and Rahxephon's respective berserk modes activate simultaneously and go to town on the same boss.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

There's actually a pretty great scene where Eva 01 and Rahxephon's respective berserk modes activate simultaneously and go to town on the same boss.

Isn't there also a scene where Rahxephon saves the day during the Bardiel battle before things go as badly to poo poo? I always love those rare instances where Plotty missions take the time to remember the protaganist of whichever series is in focus has a fuckton of backup and rewrites accordingly.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Bardiel gets that a lot. In Alpha Shin Getter rolls up, scares Unit 01 back to normal, and wipes out Bardiel in one hit.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Silentman0 posted:

The robot you're talking about was created in 1980. :colbert:

Adyen
Dec 26, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

Bardiel gets that a lot. In Alpha Shin Getter rolls up, scares Unit 01 back to normal, and wipes out Bardiel in one hit.

I still couldn't forget the time where I rammed the Reinhorse Jr. into an Angel on that stage and then Bright was like, "Ummm... I felt that we needed to take whatever chance we got?" (paraphrased)

But I really hate the Trider G7. It stems back to when they were still using Dunbine in SRW games and it would be useless except to get blown up. Then again, the 'bines were so overpowered in F, especially if you get that black one.

And which one was it that had ALL the end of the world stuff for all the series happen at the last stages? MX, I think? I could have sworn that game had Rahxephon as well.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

The robot you're talking about was created in 1980. :colbert:

Coulda fooled me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Adyen posted:

I still couldn't forget the time where I rammed the Reinhorse Jr. into an Angel on that stage and then Bright was like, "Ummm... I felt that we needed to take whatever chance we got?" (paraphrased)

But I really hate the Trider G7. It stems back to when they were still using Dunbine in SRW games and it would be useless except to get blown up. Then again, the 'bines were so overpowered in F, especially if you get that black one.

And which one was it that had ALL the end of the world stuff for all the series happen at the last stages? MX, I think? I could have sworn that game had Rahxephon as well.

Best part about using the Reinforce Jr on Israfel? That's what you're supposed to do. You get 2 skill points for having Bright Noa spear an angel with his battleship. On a tangent I really do like how they gave command of the Reinforce Jr to Bright.

Dunbine isn't weak in my experience, in Alpha and 4 at the very least the Bilibine is actually one of the games heavy hitters.

MX did indeed have an ending that's like a Super-Apocalypse. 3rd impact happens, Rahxephone retunes the world, and then Erde Mitte shows up cackling before the robot brain she made will consume the world like a super-duper devil gundam because she's a stupidly evil mad scientist of an original villain.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

MX did indeed have an ending that's like a Super-Apocalypse. 3rd impact happens, Rahxephone retunes the world, and then Erde Mitte shows up cackling before the robot brain she made will consume the world like a super-duper devil gundam because she's a stupidly evil mad scientist of an original villain.

My favorite part of these games is the inevitable moment where some character looks at all of this rediculous poo poo going at once and goes "Holy gently caress why is this all happening at once:byodood:"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

My favorite part of these games is the inevitable moment where some character looks at all of this rediculous poo poo going at once and goes "Holy gently caress why is this all happening at once:byodood:"

That actually happens, and it isn't your team: it's actually Kihel and the other SEELE dudes from NGE who are freaking out, "EVERYONE'S END OF THE WORLD IS HAPPENING AT ONCE AND OURS ISN'T WORKING!" And it doesn't, you kill the Mass Produced Evas like 3 times and eventually it sticks.

It's cute when they use the whole "Alien Invasion from 2 different aliens, Hau Dragon, Giganos attacks, Hyakki Empire, Mulians, and Martian Successors all attacking at once" to explain away why you don't fight all 18 angels, the prophecies of the Dead Sea Scrolls aren't happening right so causality is going all nuts.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

"EVERYONE'S END OF THE WORLD IS HAPPENING AT ONCE AND OURS ISN'T WORKING!"

Man, now I want a translation of this so badly. :saddowns:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm hoping this one just slipped the LPer's mind. I was really looking forward to seeing this one shown off, given the fact that you probably do have to be a little bit insane to try and play a SRW in its native language.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Patware posted:

I'm hoping this one just slipped the LPer's mind. I was really looking forward to seeing this one shown off, given the fact that you probably do have to be a little bit insane to try and play a SRW in its native language.

Playing it in its native language isn't difficult. Playing and then somewhat translating it for a Let's Play is something I wouldn't even try, and I love the drat games to death (and if I had it my way, you'd all see how awesome '70s super robots are).

If Son Ryo were playing the PSX version of Super Robot Wars 3, he'd probably keep going through it, as it fixes a lot of the issues that the SNES version had, but the PSX version wasn't translated into English, so v:shobon:v. I thought about tackling one of the early SRW games on the PSX myself, since the stories for those games can fill out one sheet of notebook paper, but I lack the dedication to try a Let's Play myself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Patware posted:

SRWZ2 part 2 just came out. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what caused the distraction.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

SRWZ2 part 2 just came out. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what caused the distraction.

Haha, winner. Restoration is intense. I haven't forgotten the thread and I'll try to pop the next chapter up this weekend. (Spoiler: we've already met the terrorists, and coming up is the other half.)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Playing it in its native language isn't difficult. Playing and then somewhat translating it for a Let's Play is something I wouldn't even try, and I love the drat games to death (and if I had it my way, you'd all see how awesome '70s super robots are).

If Son Ryo were playing the PSX version of Super Robot Wars 3, he'd probably keep going through it, as it fixes a lot of the issues that the SNES version had, but the PSX version wasn't translated into English, so v:shobon:v. I thought about tackling one of the early SRW games on the PSX myself, since the stories for those games can fill out one sheet of notebook paper, but I lack the dedication to try a Let's Play myself.

Yeah, I was playing through SRW 3 for the SNES for a while and OG1/2 spoiled me in terms of such high-level game mechanics as 'tell your guys what to do when they are attacked'. I think I got about halfway through before I just lost patience with it.

Anyway, definitely don't get me wrong, I can't imagine the effort necessary to do the simultaneous translate/LP magic. The Dangan Ronpa thread has already amazed me on that front (and prepared me for the kind of speed to expect~). Caphi's here to party.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

vilkacis posted:

Man, now I want a translation of this so badly. :saddowns:

Same. Whose families do we have to terrorize to get this done?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Same. Whose families do we have to terrorize to get this done?

Well first and foremost, Banpresto. Then, depending on what series you want included, you'd probably have to go to whoever holds the US rights and/or the production company if it's not actually licensed outside of Japan. And from a cursory glance at the series list for this game, you'd have to at least hit up

...Sunrise, Toei Animation, Gainax, Bones, Satelight, Bee Media, Bandai, ADV Films, and Cartoon Network if you want season 2 of Big O.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Then you'd have to terrorize everyone in the countries this prospective translation would be released in so Banpresto and all of the above companies wouldn't lose a lot of money, because otherwise we'd never see Z2.2.

Alternatively you could just get the script, send it to a college, and have a class translate it as their final and another class program a patch. Then you'd just need to terrorize a college.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's easy. Just build your own giant robot and fight for the cause of releasing these games outside of Japan. :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Well first and foremost, Banpresto. Then, depending on what series you want included, you'd probably have to go to whoever holds the US rights and/or the production company if it's not actually licensed outside of Japan. And from a cursory glance at the series list for this game, you'd have to at least hit up

...Sunrise, Toei Animation, Gainax, Bones, Satelight, Bee Media, Bandai, ADV Films, and Cartoon Network if you want season 2 of Big O.

You can add Harmony Gold to the mix if anything Macross is involved, because they'll apparently fight to the death to convince everybody that they own everything Macross in the US even though they really don't, because they got that ROBOTECH money.

Then you'll have to figure out how to handle licensing issues for stuff that wasn't licensed in the US in the first place. Figuring out who holds what and what shows aren't licensed at all is a fun exercise because you can see how terrible a company is by what they license, and how terrible anime fans are in the US because they apparently buy these terrible things. For instance: Gravion, a bad show, was licensed by ADV (Funimation might have the rights now, who knows). Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-hen, an amazing show, remains unlicensed in the US. :geno:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 18, 2012

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Alternatively you could just get the script, send it to a college, and have a class translate it as their final and another class program a patch. Then you'd just need to terrorize a college.

I like this plan.

...now, who do I have to terrorize in order to have a space colony built so I can hijack it and threaten to drop it on a college?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Omnicrom posted:

That actually happens, and it isn't your team: it's actually Kihel and the other SEELE dudes from NGE who are freaking out, "EVERYONE'S END OF THE WORLD IS HAPPENING AT ONCE AND OURS ISN'T WORKING!" And it doesn't, you kill the Mass Produced Evas like 3 times and eventually it sticks.

It's cute when they use the whole "Alien Invasion from 2 different aliens, Hau Dragon, Giganos attacks, Hyakki Empire, Mulians, and Martian Successors all attacking at once" to explain away why you don't fight all 18 angels, the prophecies of the Dead Sea Scrolls aren't happening right so causality is going all nuts.

Urgh, don't even remind me of those horrible MP EVAs.

The first fight is fine since you have Rom and his awesome morale-boosting speech but the 2nd fight, right before the final mission was horrible first off with the lack of fodder with which to build morale and how accurate those EVAs were.

I think the only mission that annoyed me more than that one was the final attack on the giganos base where you were limited to UC Gundams and Dragonar units.

I pretty much had to clear the thing with Amuro, Judau, Quatro, Camille, Light and Tap since everyone else was horribly underleveled and it was SLOOOOOW.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Brunom1 posted:

Urgh, don't even remind me of those horrible MP EVAs.

The first fight is fine since you have Rom and his awesome morale-boosting speech but the 2nd fight, right before the final mission was horrible first off with the lack of fodder with which to build morale and how accurate those EVAs were.

I think the only mission that annoyed me more than that one was the final attack on the giganos base where you were limited to UC Gundams and Dragonar units.

I pretty much had to clear the thing with Amuro, Judau, Quatro, Camille, Light and Tap since everyone else was horribly underleveled and it was SLOOOOOW.

I haven't gotten that far in MX, but the MP Evas were pansies in Alpha 3. Mind you a good part is that you get boosted morale because it's the end of the world and the Alpha Numbers aren't going to take that poo poo lying down. Actually the End of Evangelion stage in Alpha 3 is a whopping 4-part stage, but amusingly the only hard part is the second part when you have to keep Asuka alive. It's also possibly the only game EVER where you fight Gendou Ikari, he "pilots" (more like directs) a Dummy Plugged clone of Eva-01. Spoiler alert: He dies.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

I haven't gotten that far in MX, but the MP Evas were pansies in Alpha 3. Mind you a good part is that you get boosted morale because it's the end of the world and the Alpha Numbers aren't going to take that poo poo lying down. Actually the End of Evangelion stage in Alpha 3 is a whopping 4-part stage, but amusingly the only hard part is the second part when you have to keep Asuka alive. It's also possibly the only game EVER where you fight Gendou Ikari, he "pilots" (more like directs) a Dummy Plugged clone of Eva-01. Spoiler alert: He dies.

I've heard that sequence described before. It all sounds like the most wonderfully :black101: thing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've heard that sequence described before. It all sounds like the most wonderfully :black101: thing.

It's also cathartic for Shinji/Rei/Asuka. Zeruel kicked their rear end in the series if you remember. In @3 they absolutely crush him no problem.

Also Shinji killing his dad is also one of the many hoops you need to jump through to get Eva-01's F-Type Armor. it's worth it though, it has a Chainsaw Rifle that shoots N2 Missiles and an AT-Field Laser Cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Omnicrom posted:

It's also cathartic for Shinji/Rei/Asuka. Zeruel kicked their rear end in the series if you remember. In @3 they absolutely crush him no problem.

Also Shinji killing his dad is also one of the many hoops you need to jump through to get Eva-01's F-Type Armor. it's worth it though, it has a Chainsaw Rifle that shoots N2 Missiles and an AT-Field Laser Cannon.

Was Zeruel the one that took over Unit 03 (or whatever one Toji was in) or the one that actually made it into the Geofront?

Actually, I remembered the other day that I used to know a guy who worships the SRW series. He had an external HD he always carried loaded up with mecha anime, and had tons of clips of the attacks from the various games on it. He brought over a modded PS2 with all the SRW games on it and showed off random stages he thought were cool. I vaguely remember one of the Eva stages (Kom Susser Tod plays in one, right?), but the one he seemed to show off most was the Ideon Bad End/s, translating all the depressing battle quotes along the way.

That was a seriously depressing afternoon.

• Locked thread