Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I will say I loved the pampers swaddlers cause they had the pee strip indicator. Best diaper feature - especially when you're a new mother fretting over how often your kid's peeing because you're breastfeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

buttzilla posted:

I will say I loved the pampers swaddlers cause they had the pee strip indicator. Best diaper feature - especially when you're a new mother fretting over how often your kid's peeing because you're breastfeeding.

All this information. I should take notes :)

Sidenote: my husband loves me... he knew how absolutely awful I was feeling today and brought me a present.
He says,"Hey, look what I found right next to the tylenol!".. and hands me a slurpee. So many things in life can be improved by application of slurpee :)
I love him.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Cathis posted:

I miss caffeine.
This is the part that's supposed to go away (largely) in the 2nd trimester, right?
I mean, other than the not-sleeping parts of the 3rd trimester and the rest of my life.

Yeah, drastically cutting back on my caffeine intake is not going well so far & it's been what, 5 days since I tested positive? I'm trying my hardest not to tell everyone at work until we see the doctor in a month, but if I stay this zombiefied they're going to call me on it.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

buttzilla posted:

Huggies Little Snugglers also have the indicator strip. Both are very nice.

Yeah, with diapers it's all about what works well for your baby, but remember that if you do buy super cheap ones, you will probably regret it - mainly because most of them don't have stretchy tabs, which makes it near impossible to get a nice snug fit. There are good generics out there I'm sure but I've never really found one. The cheapest I can go and still keep them dry is Luvs.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

FretforyourLatte posted:

Huggies Little Snugglers also have the indicator strip. Both are very nice.

Yeah, with diapers it's all about what works well for your baby, but remember that if you do buy super cheap ones, you will probably regret it - mainly because most of them don't have stretchy tabs, which makes it near impossible to get a nice snug fit. There are good generics out there I'm sure but I've never really found one. The cheapest I can go and still keep them dry is Luvs.

My mom and much of her family are Dollar General shoppers (we are in rural Mississippi). I got a buttload of Dollar General diapers at my shower. By no means use these. It's like a bandaid on a fire hydrant. Also they don't stretch.

Luvs work best for Arthur but I wish they had the peestrip :(

E:

buttzilla posted:

I think a lot has to do with your size. If you're already really overweight your weight's going to fluctuate a lot more than it would if you were smaller. Another thing would be the time of day you're weighing yourself. Could also be the clothes you're wearing or your scale.

I'm a fat fatty so that might be it. It's seriously like ten or more pounds every few days. I always weigh in the morning, usually in a nightgown. I don't trust any scale so I won't discount the possibility of a broken scale.

I have lost at least 40 pounds since the day I had him (granted, almost 20lbs was him and his surrounding...stuff), though, so, yay!

Chicken McNobody fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 17, 2012

Elocin
Jun 27, 2007
Pretty much everyone I've ever heard talking about pregnancy ultrasounds says that the tech who did it remarked on omg how much the baby is moving!! So don't read too much into that ;)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Luvs smell like perfume. It's gross.

Huggies worked best for Alexander, Pampers for Jack, Huggies for Julia. It really is just about fit and how they pee.

Some babies seem to move less because of how the placenta is positioned. Alexander's placenta was in the front and I felt less movement and it came a lot later than I expected. It was muffled, I guess. Jack moved like a crazy demon and so did Julia.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hi thread, 18-day-old dad checking in. :D

Wanted to chime in on the diaper-talk, although I really can't say I've tried many: if you have a costco in your area, their store brand (is it kroger still? I don't recall) seem to work well enough and have stretchy tabs for a good fit. Granted my daughter hasn't had a chance to really put them to the test, although I think the last couple were directed by Michael Bay and there were no leaks or anything.

How normal is it for the baby to get really red in the face and squirmy and whatnot when having a bowel movement? I'm not really worried that anything is wrong, but I swear my baby's trying to make this stuff happen at 800psi from a running start and I'm just wondering how long it'll be before she calms down and learns to just let it happen. For what it's worth, she's normally really docile and chill, and hardly fusses at all even when they were stabbing her heel a couple times a day in the hospital to check her blood sugar (she was a big girl born to small parents.)

starshine
Nov 26, 2007
For Julia's first few weeks, she did what we called an angry poop dance, all red and flailing, for every BM. I started "Elimination Communication" (AKA holding your baby over a bowl, potty, sink, flat diaper, etc when you think/know she has to go) when she was 19 days old and we didn't have any more fussiness with poop after that. Might be that the position made it easier for her to go, or just that she grew out of it around that age. Here's a pic of the holding position we used at 4 weeks of age:

Plenty of people think it's weird to use a potty with a small baby, but it has been a cool experience for all three of us... and I'm really happy that I'm cleaning my 12 month old's ungodly turds out of a potty and not a diaper these days.

BTW, if you guys do get a feeling that something isn't right, I wouldn't hesitate to mention it to your midwife/doctor so they can make sure all is a-ok!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to ask the doc, but I really think it's not a problem. She's clearly not constipated or anything, it's just...curious. According to my parents, my sister used to do the same thing (which embarrasses her endlessly.) At least for now, we've just chalked it up to her still-developing digestive system. Still hilarious and bizarre, though. v:shobon:v

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Just wanted to share this photo my mom took of Mr. Max. Seven weeks old here:

We've both come a long, long way!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Bad Munki posted:

How normal is it for the baby to get really red in the face and squirmy and whatnot when having a bowel movement? I'm not really worried that anything is wrong, but I swear my baby's trying to make this stuff happen at 800psi from a running start and I'm just wondering how long it'll be before she calms down and learns to just let it happen. For what it's worth, she's normally really docile and chill, and hardly fusses at all even when they were stabbing her heel a couple times a day in the hospital to check her blood sugar (she was a big girl born to small parents.)
My little guy did that too, and I swear he'd grunt all night in his sleep during those early days. My sister-in-law is a ped and she pointed out that trying to poop lying down with weak abdominal muscles is no picnic. :)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

buttzilla posted:

I also noticed movements a lot earlier (11 weeks)...

That's interesting--I was feeling that now-familiar weird little fluttering yesterday and dismissed it as way too early to be feeling the kidlet. Which it probably is (10 weeks), but I'll be paying more attention.

So different from the casual abuse you get later on, where the little twerp punches you from the inside for a while and then lodges a foot in your ribcage for a nap.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

^ I've been getting that casual abuse since 16 weeks :cry:

Bad Munki posted:

Hi thread, 18-day-old dad checking in. :D

Wanted to chime in on the diaper-talk, although I really can't say I've tried many: if you have a costco in your area, their store brand (is it kroger still? I don't recall) seem to work well enough and have stretchy tabs for a good fit. Granted my daughter hasn't had a chance to really put them to the test, although I think the last couple were directed by Michael Bay and there were no leaks or anything.

Hey, congrats on the little one!

Man, it's a lot of hard work to get all that poop out of that tiny butthole. I'd be red faced, too. The Costco store brand is Kirkland. They're pretty good! Our store brand of choice is Target and as a backup, Meijer (only midwest goons would have access to a Meijer, unfortunately). Both have nice stretchy tabs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kirkland! That's what it is. We have a couple boxes of them but I couldn't see them from where I was last night and just knew it started with a K.

On a side note, my baby momma is super happy today. I was on partial-night duty last night so she could get some extra sleep, and man does it make a difference. I mean, we do pretty well sleep-wise, but her getting to sleep a continuous 6 hours is huuuuuuge. She was so sound asleep that when I went upstairs to sleep at 2AM, she didn't even wake up and when Eve started fussing at 4:30, she thought I had just laid down and was getting silently annoyed at me for coming to bed with a fussy baby. Eventually I woke up enough to ask what time it was, we had a little talk, and my wife realized it had been another two and a half hours and was therefore feeding time. Her perception of time was just so out of whack that she had absolutely no idea. :3:

Also, have this:

Evelyn Ruby, born March 29 at 1:43PM, measuring 20 3/4" and weighing in at a whopping 9 lbs. 3 oz. Her mother and I are not large people (I'm 5'10", 150 lbs., she's 5'4" and (was) 130 lbs.) so such a big baby surprised both us and the doctor. Baby was in position and ready to go for a couple months prior, but during the last week she flipped to be facing forward and between that and her (unknown to all of us) size, after pushing for 3 hours she was still at station 0. In the end, we got the c-section. I'm pretty sure the needed theatrics to get her out the normal way would have been traumatic, dangerous, and extensive, and probably would have done a number on mom's nethers. At the time, she was pretty broken up about the c-section. Of course, it didn't help that she's a 4th year medical student and as such has witnessed more c-sections than she wants to see in her entire life, so she knew exactly what was going on during the procedure. I was able to talk her through it, though, with chatter about the dog and mowing the lawn and what else we need to order from amazon. In the end, none of it mattered as soon as she saw that little creature and now she's healing extremely well. We just did a 3 mile walk around the lake yesterday with no trouble. :)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Any advice or input about registering for childbirth classes? I personally would skip them, but my husband thinks we should do them. They're like $150, so if there's are other, better options than doing them at the hospital, I'm all ears.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I was very glad we did childbirth classes with my first pregnancy. Even though I knew most of the technical details, the teacher had a lot of good tips about issues that don't always get stressed (she was big on reminding us about ways to help pain with back labor, thank goodness). We also took a mini-class on newborn care that helped a lot, seeing as my husband had never changed a diaper and I was panicky about how to wash babies.

Plus if your husband wants to do them, that may be a good enough reason. The classes were pretty good for us as a couple, in terms of clearing up questions he'd been uneasy about and making him feel like he could be helpful.

e. The classes also included a tour of the hospital. We ended up unexpectedly having my daughter at the other hospital in the city, and I definitely wished it had been at the place where I knew what the rooms looked like and where the parking lots were, etc. (And they gave us some free hospital visitor parking passes, which would have come in handy if we'd had the baby there.)

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 17, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We did a pregnancy-through-2-weeks class and a breastfeeding class. They were like $25 a piece and were well worth it. They were really good about including both halves of the couple and we felt a little better prepared for the whole thing. I'm not sure if we would have done them for $150, though...

Also, depending on where you give birth, the staff at the hospital can be EXTREMELY helpful for learning a lot of that stuff. They walked us through everything from swaddling to bathing to diaper changing to making sure the baby is in the car seat properly. I think the hospital we were at was exceptional in that regard, but I would expect at least some level of that no matter where you go.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

Any advice or input about registering for childbirth classes? I personally would skip them, but my husband thinks we should do them. They're like $150, so if there's are other, better options than doing them at the hospital, I'm all ears.

I just registered through my hospital (via my OB's office). Definitely worth it imo. Ours was an 8-5 class on one Saturday. My husband had never held an infant nor obviously swaddled or changed one and there was a small segment on doing that. There was also info on breastfeeding, a tour of the labor/birthing center, and we got a ton of stuff in a packet that also included a free diaper bag/changing pad and a ton of coupons for various baby items. Our class was free through the hospital.

Go for it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh yeah, come to think of it, ours was free too, except we did a shorter "fast track" version that was just a single day (instead of the one that took place over the course of a month) and that was $25. The breastfeeding class was free. All organized/registered for through the hospital, and the tour and such of the facilities is actually more valuable than you may think, since you won't feel so lost when you show up at 3AM.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

I agree with everyone else that they're worth it, although they're going to vary a lot depending on the ideology of the instructors. Mine was fantastic; it was through my doctor's practise (which is a large non-profit) and covered a lot about how to avoid unnecessary interventions & advocate for yourself. Since my daughter was breech & I had to schedule a C-section, I was really glad to have the tools to feel like I was in control of the procedure.

Depending where you are, a lot of different places might have classes, and some might be cheaper, but there's an advantage to doing them at the hospital you're planning to give birth at, since you get tours and a sense of the hospital atmosphere and probably more information on the hospital's ideology than if you go to an outside resources. But yah, $150 isn't cheap, so look for other resources in your community.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011
I'll be 10 weeks pregnant on Friday and I seem to have figured out how to manage the nausea (never eat until full but never let myself get hungry) and the vertigo (drink lots of water, eat lots of protein so my blood sugar never bottoms out), and the exhaustion (sleep, sleep, sleep). The first two are actually made easier by having a toddler, since she has to eat all the time too, but the third has been tricky; today she couldn't sleep during her nap and thus no nap for me, either. I am a Zombie.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Plus if your husband wants to do them, that may be a good enough reason. The classes were pretty good for us as a couple, in terms of clearing up questions he'd been uneasy about and making him feel like he could be helpful.

I'm definitely going to do it because he thinks it will make him feel more comfortable, I was just wondering if there were better options than just going with the hospital (especially since it's far from free).

Bad Munki posted:

All organized/registered for through the hospital, and the tour and such of the facilities is actually more valuable than you may think, since you won't feel so lost when you show up at 3AM.

We can actually take the tour separately, which IS free, and I'm definitely going to do that. Though I had an emergency trip to the hospital and got to be all up-close-and-personal with a labor and delivery room at that point, so I'm already fairly familiar there.

If the classes were free, I'd probably take them all, they're just really expensive. On top of the $140 for the childbirthing classes, Infant Care classes are $65, so I don't even know how much of that taking care of baby stuff is included in that $140 class. Breastfeeding class is another $35, C-section class is $40, Infant CPR is $35, Natural childbirth classes are another $140, and even the freaking half-hour car seat installation class is $30. They also have an Anaesthsia class, which is the only thing that's free, and I already took that last week.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I will say that the childbirthing stuff was probably the least useful of what we did. The infant care the most helpful - and CPR. Anything childbirth related you can just consult your OB about. Find out if your hospital has a Lactation Consultant on staff. Mine did that came to my room shortly after my daughter was born - it was included in the labor/delivery costs. Also, for breastfeeding get in touch with your local La Leche League and go from there or see if your hospital offers a breastfeeding support group.

For car seat installations go to your local Fire Department and they'll do it for free. It sounds like your hospital is trying ot take advantage of new parents by making them pay for things they can find elsewhere for free.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 18, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

buttzilla posted:

I will say that the childbirthing stuff was probably the least useful of what we did. The infant care the most helpful - and CPR. Anything childbirth related you can just consult your OB about. Find out if your hospital has a Lactation Consultant on staff. Mine did that came to my room shortly after my daughter was born - it was included in the labor/delivery costs. Also, for breastfeeding get in touch with your local La Leche League and go from there or see if your hospital offers a breastfeeding support group.

For car seat installations go to your local Fire Department and they'll do it for free. It sounds like your hospital is trying ot take advantage of new parents by making them pay for things they can find elsewhere for free.

They do have a bunch of lactation help, which I haven't ever heard them say there was a charge for, and I've heard mentioned that they have a free lactation hotline that you can call at any time afterwards, so at least we've got that going for us. I know that there's free carseat checking basically everywhere (Babies R Us does it, any police station is supposed to do it), and isn't the hospital required to check your carseat before they release you with the baby anyway? I seriously cannot figure out what's going on with the carseat class.

There's another hospital literally across the street from ours, but they don't have their class information listed on their website, so I don't know what their prices are like. Guess I'll give them a call in the morning, because until I asked, I didn't realize that those prices were so abnormally high.

EDIT: They have really nice rooms though, all of them are private, hardwood floors, etc. I guess I just found out how they pay for that.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 18, 2012

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

They have really nice rooms though, all of them are private, hardwood floors, etc. I guess I just found out how they pay for that.

I'm on my fourth pregnancy and discovered during the first one that childbirth classes are pretty pointless. Childbirth classes can be useful if you have a decent teacher, but on the day you're just as likely to forget most of what you learned anyway. I took Lamaze classes as well but when I was encouraged to breathe during labor it just pissed me off: "Leave me alone and let me scream!" 90% of what they tell you to do is such common sense obvious stuff that you might wonder why you're even sitting there.

The real important classes are ones on baby care and breastfeeding. I agree with the posters advising you find your local LaLeche League and get your carseat checked at Babies R Us.

Your body knows how to eject a babby, you just need to be trained on how to feed and take care of it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mnemosyne posted:

EDIT: They have really nice rooms though, all of them are private, hardwood floors, etc. I guess I just found out how they pay for that.

I think that more and more, private rooms with good atmosphere are becoming widespread and normal. This is the room my wife actually gave birth in (well, up until we switched to a c-section and moved to an OR):

The room she stayed in over the next couple nights was similarly nice and large, and all the rooms had a great view of the capitol. Which reminds me, I've actually been meaning to write a letter to the hospital praising the staff and facilities for such an amazing experience. I really can't even begin to describe how impressed I was with everything. We didn't meet a single staff member who didn't go out of their way to help us, with anything. It was just all around remarkable, even aside from the fact that we somehow got a baby out of the whole thing.

Also: definitely yes on the breastfeeding classes. I don't have the equipment to do it, but my wife is eternally grateful that we took that class so that she knows how to do it right. She loves breastfeeding and has experienced basically zero discomfort with the whole thing, and from what I understand, it can be an entirely different experience if you don't know how to get a good latch or get enough meat in the baby's mouth so it doesn't pinch, etc. The nurses at the hospital were also super helpful in that regard, since they were there to actually hold the baby and show momma how to get the baby on there right.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 18, 2012

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I also had a private room. It even had a shower and a small dining area. I don't believe there are any shared rooms in the labor/delivery ward.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

I have lost at least 40 pounds since the day I had him (granted, almost 20lbs was him and his surrounding...stuff), though, so, yay!

I weighed myself when labour started, and again after birth, and my loss was exactly 10lbs. I'm pretty scientifically-minded, but did anyone else do this? My total weight gain was 19lbs, so a 20lb loss seems high for me! But then, I think I was low on amniotic fluid.

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

Chandrika posted:

I weighed myself when labour started, and again after birth, and my loss was exactly 10lbs. I'm pretty scientifically-minded, but did anyone else do this? My total weight gain was 19lbs, so a 20lb loss seems high for me! But then, I think I was low on amniotic fluid.

20 lbs does seem like A LOT. I only lost 8 from labor to coming home from the hospital with a 6.7 lb baby. But now it's almost 3 months out and I'm down to my pre pregnancy weight (I gained about 25 lbs total) and I'm still losing. I was pretty average size to start and was very active the whole pregnancy and after so maybe that's why my gains and losses were so small.

Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 18, 2012

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Mnemosyne posted:

I know that there's free carseat checking basically everywhere (Babies R Us does it, any police station is supposed to do it), and isn't the hospital required to check your carseat before they release you with the baby anyway? I seriously cannot figure out what's going on with the carseat class.

It really depends where you live whether they have to check your car seat installation. I live in California, I was required to bring the bucket part of the car seat in to the hospital before leaving just to prove we had one, but no one went to my car to see that the base was installed properly or that we put the bucket on the base correctly. (Ironically enough, my child was in NICU for a month and I was required to bring the car seat in for a "car seat test" - your baby sits in the car seat for an hour with a pulse-ox monitor and apnea monitor on and cannot experience significant drops in blood oxygen levels or apnic episodes in that time in order to get out of NICU). I was required to sign a form saying I understood car seats were important and that I promised I used one with him every single time I took him to the doctor for the first 2 or 3 years of his life. I have a cousin who lives in New Jersey who was required to bring in a form completed by her local police department certifying that they had checked the installation and it was correct (her husband's a cop, he was not allowed to sign it himself). I don't know if that is a state law in NJ or if it's just her hospital's policy.

I took my car to AAA for them to check the installation, they have a certified child passenger safety specialist who comes in to do their installation checks for them. Firestations can also do it, I believe they have certified personnel as well. I would probably not take it to Babies R Us unless they could show me certifications from whoever is doing their checks - I've experienced quite a bit of incompetence from far too many of their staff members to take it on faith that they know what the hell they are doing when it comes to my child's safety.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Fionnoula posted:

It really depends where you live whether they have to check your car seat installation. I live in California, I was required to bring the bucket part of the car seat in to the hospital before leaving just to prove we had one, but no one went to my car to see that the base was installed properly or that we put the bucket on the base correctly. (Ironically enough, my child was in NICU for a month and I was required to bring the car seat in for a "car seat test" - your baby sits in the car seat for an hour with a pulse-ox monitor and apnea monitor on and cannot experience significant drops in blood oxygen levels or apnic episodes in that time in order to get out of NICU). I was required to sign a form saying I understood car seats were important and that I promised I used one with him every single time I took him to the doctor for the first 2 or 3 years of his life. I have a cousin who lives in New Jersey who was required to bring in a form completed by her local police department certifying that they had checked the installation and it was correct (her husband's a cop, he was not allowed to sign it himself). I don't know if that is a state law in NJ or if it's just her hospital's policy.

I took my car to AAA for them to check the installation, they have a certified child passenger safety specialist who comes in to do their installation checks for them. Firestations can also do it, I believe they have certified personnel as well. I would probably not take it to Babies R Us unless they could show me certifications from whoever is doing their checks - I've experienced quite a bit of incompetence from far too many of their staff members to take it on faith that they know what the hell they are doing when it comes to my child's safety.

My hospital wouldn't let us leave without a carseat inspection. A nurse came down with us and checked everything. They were stunned that we had it in nice and secure and that we'd installed it ourselves. :psyduck:

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Sarsaparilla posted:

20 lbs does seem like A LOT. I only lost 8 from labor to coming home from the hospital with a 6.7 lb baby. But now it's almost 3 months out and I'm down to my pre pregnancy weight (I gained about 25 lbs total) and I'm still losing. I was pretty average size to start and was very active the whole pregnancy and after so maybe that's why my gains and losses were so small.

I was also hypertensive and was retaining A LOT of fluid, much of which I guess I peed out during my hospital stay. That plus the placenta & stuff probably made up the other 10lbs. (Arthur was almost 10 by himself.)

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Is my round ligament kind of at my underwear line, below my belly button? I have this obnoxious ache there today, that every time I rolled over last night I could feel. I have to go get blood drawn today so I might swing by my doctor's office anyways.

Also, just in case: any ladies or gentlemen reading this use TriCare? Husband and I are debating the relative merits of the two health coverages we have, his though work which is a ~90% coverage, and TriCare, which we know less about but *seems* to be very affordable with a lesser copay/out of pocket.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
When my first child was born, the hospital sent a staff member down to the car with us as we were leaving to check the carseat and help us put my son in correctly. When my daughter was born a year and a half later, they didn't check or anything. I don't know if it's just something they only do for first time parents or if they stopped doing it because of budget cuts or what.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

buttzilla posted:

My hospital wouldn't let us leave without a carseat inspection. A nurse came down with us and checked everything. They were stunned that we had it in nice and secure and that we'd installed it ourselves. :psyduck:

Ours didn't. I wish they would have, because while we had the base in just fine, we had a lot of trouble figuring out how to release the straps and adjust them, etc. We spent a good 25 minutes sitting in the loading area, me in the front seat holding the baby while my husband cussed and banged around the back seat trying to figure out the drat thing.

It still wasn't until week 4 at a La Leche League meeting that I was told we weren't securing the baby into the seat properly.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Cathis posted:

Is my round ligament kind of at my underwear line, below my belly button? I have this obnoxious ache there today, that every time I rolled over last night I could feel. I have to go get blood drawn today so I might swing by my doctor's office anyways.

Yep, definitely sounds like round ligaments. Speak to the doctor if it's getting really uncomfortable, but it is totally normal. It scared the crap out of me the first time I felt it and I managed to convince myself something was wrong. drat uterus, it hurts stretching out and it hurts when it shrinks back down!

So my baby has reached 6 weeks today, and I would love to get into some sort of routine with him. I am trying to teach him the difference between night and day in the hopes that he will start sleeping for longer at night. What people keep telling me is that when he wakes in the night, I shouldn't change his nappy unless absolutely necessary. I agree, in theory, because nappy changes wake him right up and it's hard to settle him once he's felt the cold air on his bits. But after a couple of nights of leaving them, I have noticed his nappies in the morning are absolutely soaked through. It doesn't seem to bother him, but surely laying in his own urine all night is bad for his skin? I feel terrible for leaving him in a mess.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

netally posted:

So my baby has reached 6 weeks today, and I would love to get into some sort of routine with him. I am trying to teach him the difference between night and day in the hopes that he will start sleeping for longer at night. What people keep telling me is that when he wakes in the night, I shouldn't change his nappy unless absolutely necessary. I agree, in theory, because nappy changes wake him right up and it's hard to settle him once he's felt the cold air on his bits. But after a couple of nights of leaving them, I have noticed his nappies in the morning are absolutely soaked through. It doesn't seem to bother him, but surely laying in his own urine all night is bad for his skin? I feel terrible for leaving him in a mess.

Do you happen to have a wipe warmer? That might help when changing him at night. Are you trying to get your 6 week old to sleep entirely through the night? Why not change him after one of the times you're feeding him through the night?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

buttzilla posted:

Do you happen to have a wipe warmer? That might help when changing him at night. Are you trying to get your 6 week old to sleep entirely through the night? Why not change him after one of the times you're feeding him through the night?

Ha, I have never heard of a wipe warmer. They look awesome!

I'm not trying to get him to sleep through the night, I know that's impossible at this stage. I would ideally like his night time wakings to be shorter. A feed, then back to sleep. If I change him, that means he's wide awake and can easily take another hour to settle back down. But it's not about me, I just want to do what's best for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissAndy
Feb 24, 2011
Hello! I am 16 weeks pregnant today, and just finished reading this entire thread. This is pretty much the only place I have been able to find good information.

I had a question about my doctor. I had my first appointment at 12 weeks, and I was pretty surprised how little they told me. They did a physical exam, had me pee in a cup, took some blood, asked me if I wanted extra testing done (for what? No idea), let me listen to the heartbeat after I bugged them about it, and shoved me out the door. Is this normal? I was kind of hoping for a brief session of "Hey, do these things but not these things, because they aren't safe", or at least a sheet of paper with some do's and do not's on it. It is a rotating practice, so I am hoping it was just that doctor. I do have my second appointment today, but thus far the only advice I have had is from my MIL and it has been pretty poor.

The other question I have is is there anyone with experience being pregnant while having a chronic illness? I have Crohn's disease that pretty much refuses to go into remission, and the only thing my doctor said about that was "You probably shouldn't flair, so try not to." Yeah, thanks for that.